• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - September 13th - 19th

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Like Gundam or anything political robots, Code Geass isn't catching
in mainstream America. Oh, where the days of Transformers go....

(I guess cute jailbaits in various states of undress isn't enough.
That's one big difference in the West: regular Americans are all for
"teh sex" in their entertainment --as Hollywood can fully attest--
but much disgustingly less so when it involves jailbaits....) Laughing
rrtycoon2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
The only part that I like about this change is that I can finally see Fullmetal Alchemist for the first time. Other than that, this is horrible.

Well, if you're lucky, they'll get up to at least episode 5 or 6 before pulling it off the air during another schedule change (that way you'll have a good idea as to whether or not you want to invest in the DVDs).

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go drown myself in my neighbor's basement.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
This WTF moment is brought to you -- yet again -- by Adult Swim.
Seriously, WTF is Cartoon Network thinking? Exclamation
eothemina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
*sighs* Well, here's to hoping that they might get it right, maybe, next time? Maybe? Perhaps? If not, then DVD's, here I come!!!
Selkie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Selkie wrote:
I have never actually seen Now and Then, Here and There airing on Tuesdays. However, last week, I discovered that it was on Monday at 12:00 and 12:30. So, I'm wondering if Sci-fi changed the programing and forgot to note it on their schedule?

It's technically on Tuesdays at 12:00 AM and 12:30 AM, but effectively, it's on Monday nights.

Of course it is! I'm so stupid. Embarassed No wonder I kept checking for it and only found "Eureka." :p
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
Selkie wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Selkie wrote:
I have never actually seen Now and Then, Here and There airing on Tuesdays. However, last week, I discovered that it was on Monday at 12:00 and 12:30. So, I'm wondering if Sci-fi changed the programing and forgot to note it on their schedule?

It's technically on Tuesdays at 12:00 AM and 12:30 AM, but effectively, it's on Monday nights.

Of course it is! I'm so stupid. Embarassed No wonder I kept checking for it and only found "Eureka." :p

Don't be hard on yourself, it's an easy enough mistake to make. Rolling Eyes
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've grown to really enjoy Moribito quite a bit. It's slow-moving between the bombastic action set-pieces...

Bombastic? But people don't run like the wind or leap even ten feet into the air! Moribito is downright subdued with its action scenes.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
When does Naruto Part 2(Shippuuden or whatever is long to type) start? I know we're getting close with the late 190's, but I don't know for sure when Part 2 starts.

I believe it is episode 216, http://www.tv.com/naruto/the-disappearing-craftsman-the-targeted-shukaku/episode/936272/summary.html
called "The Disappearing Craftsman, The Targeted Shukaku."
Iritscen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
While I can hardly even get angry over these schedule changes these days (this time, at least, my new DVR was smart enough to still record the right shows despite the time change), it's a matter of "I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed." I only don't get mad because I shake my head sadly when they do it.

It should be mentioned, in answer to questions about why CN would buy shows and then bury them in a bad slot, that CN may not have paid for them at ll. They might well have been paid to air them. The broadcast serves as advertisement for the DVDs. Once CN's paid, they can do whatever they want with the episodes. What amazes me is that the dubber/distributor that gets shafted like this keeps on going back to them. Apparently it's still a profitable relationship even when the show's on at 5:00 a.m., or else [AS] just barely doesn't shaft them enough times so that it is still worth it on the whole to pay to get the shows on the air.

Now that I've answered a question, a question in return for you guys who talk about having to stay up late: why not use a VCR/DVR? I'm really curious.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
While I can hardly even get angry over these schedule changes these days (this time, at least, my new DVR was smart enough to still record the right shows despite the time change), it's a matter of "I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed." I only don't get mad because I shake my head sadly when they do it.

It should be mentioned, in answer to questions about why CN would buy shows and then bury them in a bad slot, that CN may not have paid for them at ll. They might well have been paid to air them. The broadcast serves as advertisement for the DVDs. Once CN's paid, they can do whatever they want with the episodes. What amazes me is that the dubber/distributor that gets shafted like this keeps on going back to them. Apparently it's still a profitable relationship even when the show's on at 5:00 a.m., or else [AS] just barely doesn't shaft them enough times so that it is still worth it on the whole to pay to get the shows on the air.

Now that I've answered a question, a question in return for you guys who talk about having to stay up late: why not use a VCR/DVR? I'm really curious.
some people may not have a DVR nor are able to get ahold of VHS tapes since it's a dying format that isn't used anymore, as for DVRs some people may not be able to affoard them if they've other major expenses
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
This is a self-fulfilling prophecy about why anime fails in America. I wonder if Cartoon Network has not learned anything by the success of Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon ( in America ). The major reason for their success was because they were shown on times at which they could be viewed by their target audience, hence they were well known and successful. More to the point, they gave both shows TIME, time to get successful and time to get well known.

Code Geass and Moribito are clearly targeted toward the teenagers and young adult ( 20 - 22 ) year old range, but the time slots allotted to them are times at which NO ONE, not even energetic and devoted fans will be up at those times. Let's face it, not everyone has a DVR and will be willing to purchase them just to record these shows. These shows need to shown at 3:00 pm, weekdays, where parents are not watching news and kids can get into new anime. Code Geass, especially, can probably be considered as "engineered success". Most anime fans, even casual ones, will instantly be able to recognize CLAMP's handiwork, and there is no anime fan ( minus Naruto/Bleach/Dragon Ball fanatics not willing to watch anything else but) who is not a fan of something CLAMP has put out. Even myself, who is not a dub fan, has taken the time to watch Ani-Monday on sci-fi, since it is playing Gurren Lagann. So I'm willing to watch dubbed anime when it's on at a somewhat convenient time. I'm sure there are others out there as well who will. But Ani-Monday is at time better than WHEN EVERYONE IS SLEEPING.

Cartoon Network could not have picked a better new show to try to raise the interest in anime again and bring in new fans than Code Geass, but this time slot issue will pretty much kill any chance of it getting success.

Now that I've been diplomatic about this; Screw Cartoon Network for being perpetual not-so-nice-people!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Really wish I had bothered hitting ANN yesterday after getting everything hooked back up ... though, it was a plesant surprise to find CG waiting for me when I went to watch the Sunday shows (still willing to trade Blue Dragon for Moribito though.)
abstract-alchemist wrote:
Code Geass and Moribito are clearly targeted toward the teenagers and young adult ( 20 - 22 ) year old range, but the time slots allotted to them are times at which NO ONE, not even energetic and devoted fans will be up at those times. Let's face it, not everyone has a DVR and will be willing to purchase them just to record these shows. These shows need to shown at 3:00 pm, weekdays, where parents are not watching news and kids can get into new anime.

Did you read these three sentances together before hitting submit?

That is a TERRIBLE timeslot for anime like these, and would surely end up getting canned even faster. At least with a 5am timeslot you can run an over/under to watch them, and on the weekend allows for a degree of scheduling impunity. With a 3pm weekday timeslot you are looking at highschooler's without jobs, college kids lucky enough to not have a class then ... and those with a DVR who don't really care when it is on as long as the schedule updated far enough in advance to record the correct timeframe. Not to mention the truely gruesome amount of editing/censoring that would have to occur. Say goodbye to bleeps and mosaics, and say hello to dropping scenes, lolipops, and handheld radios.

Quote:
But their tenuous bonds of friendship will not last, as alas, they must battle one another to win a full-course meal at a fancy restaurant! O, the tender shame of youthful friends!

Well, the more important thing is for the show to downplay the need or use of money/gold that you can only obtain by going out into the world and crushing the spirit of every little kid foolish enough to be in your path while holding a Pokeball.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Since I had no alternative, I ended up waking up at 4:30 CT so I could watch Moribito. Needless to say, I'm glad it's the weekend because that was rough. Somehow I managed to doze off at the start of the commercials and wake up at the end. I would have been mad if I slept through half of it.
RauTwilight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
With regards to adult swim. I find it funny that they whine and complain that we (the fans) don't watch their anime. Yet they don't promote it in the least, and they never stick with a schedule for more than a month at the best. Rolling Eyes

Yea I agree Code Geass and Morbito rarely, wait scratch that, never even got a promo unlike that of FMA and Inuyasha when they 1st appeared (whose promo's where around enough to catch anime fans attention).

Its a pity AS has not learned the unwritten yet obvious rule of program blocks: newer shows + early times when people are awake = higher ratings for your block
reruns/old shows +later times when people are about to fall asleep = still get ratings just sorta mediocre or avg
and balancing between anime and their original stuff = satisfaction from whatever audience targetting and gain fans from both anime and your original programming.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:

Heh, and to think, Japanese anime sponsors pay for the production, the advertising slots (heck, the whole timeslot!) just to get to air their otaku show at 2:05am JST. Now ya know how Japanese otaku feel! Laughing

RauTwilight wrote:

and balancing between anime and their original stuff = satisfaction from whatever audience targetting and gain fans from both anime and your original programming.

Donchaknow?! Anime and AS comedy fans don't mix! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3