• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network to End Toonami on September 20

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
This is a HUGE bummer, but not surprising since Toonami was being chipped away just like the Anime on Adult Swim. However, to think that the block itself is going to be totally gone is extremely disheartening. I just don't get it. I would like to think that Naruto can still survive on TV and be aired even without Toonami since it's the only Anime that's been on Toonami for awhile. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the filler arcs just didn't hold people's attention.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Um... Okay?

They're ending a block, I doubt this means that anime will stop airing on CN altogether, no loss.
Please tell me you don't actually believe what you just posted. CN has been steadily chipping away it's anime showings both on [adult swim] and on Toonami. If you really think there is no loss, I'm afraid I must laugh.

By the end of next year, I'm willing to be bet there won't be any anime left on CN.

I think I'll be changing my satelite subscription in the near future to remove CN from my line up as, frankly, I no longer want to watch them at all. Long live Sci-Fi's Ani-Mondays because they and IFC are now the only real shows in town.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Why is Toonami being taken down? Sure I don't watch it much, but that's because I can't stay up late.
Hunter2458

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
spife wrote:
The day Toonami died was when TOM became the abomination that he is today. At this point, all I can say that nothing of value was lost.

I have to agree, even though Toonami gatewayed me into the stuff I love today, it's now just a shadow of it's former self, playing only a child focussed Naruto.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Um... Okay?

They're ending a block, I doubt this means that anime will stop airing on CN altogether, no loss.
Please tell me you don't actually believe what you just posted. CN has been steadily chipping away it's anime showings both on [adult swim] and on Toonami. If you really think there is no loss, I'm afraid I must laugh.

By the end of next year, I'm willing to be bet there won't be any anime left on CN.

I think I'll be changing my satelite subscription in the near future to remove CN from my line up as, frankly, I no longer want to watch them at all. Long live Sci-Fi's Ani-Mondays because they and IFC are now the only real shows in town.

I'm sure Pokemon and Bakugan will be around. Plus, CN is bringing Powerpuff Girls Z over here. I think anime will be around, just not in huge quantities as they used to pick it up.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Toonami aired some great shows back when anime was just getting popularized. While this isn't the end of anime on TV (go Sci Fi channel!) it will be missed. Crying or Very sad
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Aww, farewell Toonami. You shall be missed. Even though, I haven't been watchin' it lately, I shall miss the great shows that aired there. Tenchi Muyo, Rurouni Kenshin, etc. Toonami also shaped the anime fan I am, along with the International Channel.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Toonami for years - it went downhill so much and so fast that I just lost all interest. I think the last anime I watched on Toonami was Outlaw Star in 2001. They made a lot of terrible programming choices, and it started to lose some of its charm when TOM replaced Moltar after a few years. Then when they completely screwed up TOM and changed the whole feel of the block, it just became a total loss.

But I doubt I would be an anime fan right now if it weren't for Toonami. I got into it with Sailor Moon in 1998, and that was really the beginning of everything for me. So even though I no longer watch Toonami, it's still a shame!

RIP Toonami! Sad

Last edited by cardcaptormanda on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Call me a pessimist but I really don't see a single two hour block on Sci-Fi as enough to get by on. And unfortunately, while my parents have IFC, I don't, so it's of no use to me. And the Jetstream really isn't cutting it either. The Naruto episodes are way behind where they are on TV, and the other shows just don't appeal to me at all. Seeing as how shows keep getting removed or shuffled to a death slot until they're finished, I wouldn't be surprised if Anime totally left Cartoon Network/Adult Swim.

And I guess I can't wrap my head around how the ratings are the only justification, I mean don't people get bored of an episode that's been aired over a dozen time in a few months? Even kids get tired of such things. And it's not like the comedy on Saturday was beating out the Anime.

Way to go CN, I really don't think I'll have a reason to watch anymore, and I've been loyal for six years. Good job. Embarassed
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Way to go CN, I really don't think I'll have a reason to watch anymore, and I've been loyal for six years. Good job. Embarassed
I'm sure that's the intent.

I might sound snarky, but anyone who's not the age of, oh, let's be generous, 12 is a liability to advertising revenue.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm sure that's the intent.

I might sound snarky, but anyone who's not the age of, oh, let's be generous, 12 is a liability to advertising revenue.

Are you kidding me? They're losing out on the 34-year old anime nerd demographic, which is a big chunk of the annual sales of Go-Gurt and Lunchables.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
WOW - that's horrible... It's the end of an era....
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

And I guess I can't wrap my head around how the ratings are the only justification, I mean don't people get bored of an episode that's been aired over a dozen time in a few months? Even kids get tired of such things.

Looking at the ratings for shows like Family Guy, Spongebob and many others, the answer is no.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I had some good times with Toonami. Before I started buying my anime on DVD, Toonami was how I would get my fill, until it went downhill.

I won't be surprised if anime will be gone from CN completely someday, but, anime will always be released on DVD, and that's how I've been watching most my anime.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
For the fat lot of good it'll do, I sent in another email to them via the "Contact Us" feature. I'm sure they don't bother reading them, but it at least gives a chance to let them know how upsetting this is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20