• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toradora! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:03 am Reply with quote
I watched about half of the first episode, before deciding that I don't think it's for me (I stopped in the scene where spoiler[the girl sneaks into the guy's house to get her letter back]). I just find the characters too extreme to deal with. I like aspects of the premise, mainly them having interest in people other than each other initially, but the execution doesn't really suit my tastes.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Heheh. I watched the first episode of this earlier this morning and I found it pretty entertaining.
It had its low points, but I think Takasu, in particular, is plenty entertaining and the potential for some ecstatic humour is definitely there. We'll see how it shapes up in the long-run, but for now I'm certainly going to continue watching.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I just find the characters too extreme to deal with.

And yet you watched all of Itazura na Kiss...

I'm just saying. Wink
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
And yet you watched all of Itazura na Kiss...

I'm just saying. Wink

LOL, this is true. But I didn't find the Itazura so extreme that I couldn't relate to them. And thankfully, IMO the most extreme characters were the comic relief, such as Irie's mother, who weren't really the focus. In contrast, Toradora's most extreme character, from what I saw, is the female lead.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Just one thing about ep 1: spoiler[Anyone else think maybe the letter was actually addressed to the main character and not his friend, and Taiga just screwed up there somehow? It kind of seems like she likes him already.]
Rohnlohas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I've got to take a look at the episode yesterday and I gotta say it doesn't give me the biggest release from the painful productions I've been seeing lately, but it does give me a sense of hope that people are actually putting an effort into what they make. it's pretty good!

this isn't your crazy zany action ecchi mecha zombie vampire girlfriend who has an evil but not really evil twin sister who later on is found out to be your more popular cyborge twin brother's cousin second removed series, it's simply a formula of an odd couple finding love. The part that makes it interesting is the reason why they are so odd and also how these character's personalities clash.

what will make this series stay alive (for me anyways) would to throw normal situations and problems at these characters and see how they not only react but also slove that problem. which I would expect (hope) to be an "out of the box" and hilarious exprerience.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Just one thing about ep 1: spoiler[Anyone else think maybe the letter was actually addressed to the main character and not his friend, and Taiga just screwed up there somehow? It kind of seems like she likes him already.]

Not really. spoiler[She made a comment about getting the seats wrong, remember?]

Um, so, what was the deal with the room exploding (for lack of a better description). Like, why was Taiga in the closet thingy, and how did it get sent flying across the room?
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
As far as that goes, I'd assume that spoiler[she was in the closet because she was hiding (She absolutely didn't want to get caught putting the letter in the [wrong] bag), and she knocked the chairs/tables aside (exaggerated to the X-treme) in her rush to get to the closet before she was seen.
The closet didn't actually fly across the room as far as I could tell, it just fell over.

More importantly, why was she making jingly noises when she was rolling? Laughing]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
More importantly, why was she making jingly noises when she was rolling? Laughing

She's actually a robot. Wink
crylic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Great stuff so far, I really liked the first episode. I think the last anime of this style I watched was Midori no Hibi I never really kept up with stuff as it all seemed crap. This was good tho, exactly what I like in a show, great animation, solid drawings and so far, a decent story, not completely original but what is? A good start I'd say, hope they can keep it up.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I loved it when she rolled out the closet. I think one of the reasons I like this show is because the main character doesn't annoy me. It's nice that he's a normal person who is just misunderstood rather then some super loser who literally can't do anything.
johnykin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
ahehe. well well not your taste eh? heres what i think... ALL anime always starts slow.. its not like episode 1 always the climax of the series... you have to walk the walk the series. watch it all the way. anyway toradora aint so bad... Anime smile by the way does anyone know how many episodes it will consist? ai hope it'll be over 20 episodes or more.. huhuhu... me likey the anime Anime smile
magvis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, sure, we all know where we think this will end up. That being said, and I've been watching anime since 1985, I've enjoyed this first episode as much as any other series, ever.
From the narration at the beginning, to the final scene. The characters are interesting, and even the side-characters look like they're going to be good.
The seiyuu choices were also very good. And, yes, the Shana parody is funny too.

If the writers keep up, this is likely going to be one of the better series of the season.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
More importantly, why was she making jingly noises when she was rolling? Laughing

You can get toys for babies that make that sort of noise when they roll along the floor like she did. IIRC the one I'm thinking of is shaped like an apple..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
frodonk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
nagi, shana, louise and now the palmtop tiger... did i miss anything?

frankly this series is the most entertaining i have seen so far, based on what i had seen in the first episode. as for the violence in the first episode, its not as violent as some first episodes i had seen (i know i can't compare it to the first episode of elfen lied but im doing it anyway) Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 64