• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Casshern Sins (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agoston

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes. I like it so far. It's weird how it completely jumped into the story, but I like it a little better this way since it keeps being interesting and I'm sure they'll explain it eventually. The action scenes are nice but it's a little confusing to follow sometimes, when it zooms in way too much for a second and the camera just keeps switching angles.. It has a nice, dramatic effect but it's not very practical.

I also really like the OP song, the video along with the song isn't the best but the song itself is great, but I can't stand the ED, it's just too.. bland for me.
lalilulelo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
ep 3 was a good one though less action, i like how they introduced a character it was really well done with the human guy but i dont like casshern being so emo ^^
demonroach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I love these types of animes. So much suspense and mystery. I think it helps there there are very few 'main' characters, which makes it really about this one person and the mystery that surrounds him.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Casshern Sins is one of the best series this season, at least for me. After watching first episode I mistook this for something flashy, boring and "your action series #2145", however I completely changed my mind about it just after watching second episode and following episodes 3 and 4 just made me a fan of this. I assume you all can read/have read review so I'll just tell you what I like.

Dark and tragic it feels very innovative and refreshing from most of the series this Fall. It tells you a story, in nearly perfect way with some of the best dialog to find in anime series. Themes it brings and it's atmosphere reminds me of Mushishi and while its not nearly close to that masterpiece, Casshern Sins tells a very deep stories about robots, who seem not so much different from us. Action scenes, while being highlights of series, just enhance the story with its stylish animation and art.

In the end, as Theron Martin said in his review: "It will not suite those merely looking for casual entertainment".

I will recommend this series as one of the seasons' best. I will even dare to say that if you liked Mushishi, you might like Casshern Sins.
lalilulelo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
episode for episode its getting better and better! i love this anime!i cant stand waiting for every release anymore and im really hyped. only very good animes could do that so far(CG, DN etc)...

i also put a best scene compelation on youtube with the best scenes in it so far you also can vote for which is the best dunno if i can post the link here if not i have no problem the link will be deleted..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sw47tLYTb4&feature=PlayList&p=79CC514B3E85936A&index=0&playnext=1

or search for casshern best scene or sth like that

man that anime is really great!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Definitely my favorite show of the season. And Episode 5 was certainly no slouch in keeping that the case. Finally some answers trickle out, and next episode looks to be an action extravaganza.

Bring it!
Federated

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
No post since last year?! Shocked Apparently I'm the only one watching this series. I think this is one of the greatest new original series to come out in the last few years.

The world is sooo atmospheric..... rusting, dieing, incredibly depressing but with that one glimmer of hope. Its a harsh, decaying, sometimes sadistic world, yet Casshern is indestructible, and always regenerating. He is perfect unyielding, yet everyone else is falling apart around him, and fears him.

The music is perfect, and the action and animation is top notch. The art style is retro, with cues from the original 70s(?) anime in it.

Series like this is why I still watch anime. Too bad there aren't as many true Sci-fi shows like this anymore. All other shows seem to be about school-boy X, school-girl Y....

The latest episodes really toss in the plot twists: spoiler[Omg, is Luna evil?!?] I can't wait to see how this series ends.
Wellness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Federated wrote:
No post since last year?! Shocked Apparently I'm the only one watching this series. I think this is one of the greatest new original series to come out in the last few years.

The world is sooo atmospheric..... rusting, dieing, incredibly depressing but with that one glimmer of hope. Its a harsh, decaying, sometimes sadistic world, yet Casshern is indestructible, and always regenerating. He is perfect unyielding, yet everyone else is falling apart around him, and fears him.

The music is perfect, and the action and animation is top notch. The art style is retro, with cues from the original 70s(?) anime in it.

Series like this is why I still watch anime. Too bad there aren't as many true Sci-fi shows like this anymore. All other shows seem to be about school-boy X, school-girl Y....

The latest episodes really toss in the plot twists: spoiler[Omg, is Luna evil?!?] I can't wait to see how this series ends.

On the plot twist spoiler[Luna being evil has been hinted at for a minute. Although the idea of the original Luna being evil, I guess is somewhat of a twist, it is still pretty vague as to what the old guy found out.]

I like the series, it has its moments, although some of the moods they go for, in some of the previous stand alone episodes made me gag a little. Still, a very good series, even with the occasional reuse of the same animation in certain fights.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, yeah man, I feel like there are only a couple of people still following this series. I think it definitely deserves at least a few more posts than just this, it's possibly my second favorite series so far this season.

It has its moments, like Wellness said, and there are a few episodes that I feel could've been dropped entirely or done without, but some of the better episodes (I really enjoyed Sophita's, for instance), were excellently done and when combined with the excellent soundtrack were unexpectedly good.

I don't mind the direction its taking now, even. It has kept me guessing throughout the series and the plot concept is good as well. Hopefully get at least a few more opinions about this show from the community, I hope.
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
~~EpiC~~ wrote:
Oh wow, yeah man, I feel like there are only a couple of people still following this series. I think it definitely deserves at least a few more posts than just this, it's possibly my second favorite series so far this season.

It has its moments, like Wellness said, and there are a few episodes that I feel could've been dropped entirely or done without, but some of the better episodes (I really enjoyed Sophita's, for instance), were excellently done and when combined with the excellent soundtrack were unexpectedly good.

I don't mind the direction its taking now, even. It has kept me guessing throughout the series and the plot concept is good as well. Hopefully get at least a few more opinions about this show from the community, I hope.

Yeah, some of those early episodes like Sophita's and the one with Janice were really great pieces. And overall I still enjoy the show quite a bit I can just hope that it wraps up to a satisfying ending.
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I only discovered this show recently, but I've gotten all caught up now. I agree with some of the above sentiments, the early episodes, when the show was more, well, episodic, were truly great. I just love the art style and animation (I'll take Casshern, funky costume and all over Rideback's egg head any day Wink). I also agree that the opening theme is great as is the rest of the score. The most recent episodes are uncovering a lot without really answering any of the big questions about the story (I'm still wondering spoiler[about the nature of Luna's power, how it is that she's still alive, why the ruin started when she was killed, and what the old man has discovered]).

Wellness wrote:
And overall I still enjoy the show quite a bit I can just hope that it wraps up to a satisfying ending.

I do feel like the series has lost a bit of focus and the story seems to be getting out of control (best way I could describe it). I'm not expecting a "happy ending", but I do hope that all those questions I mentioned are answered and it's given a bit of closure.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
So the last episode is out now. I really liked this series. It was slow, dark, depressing even and not just a little bit confusing - until I realized something. spoiler[This story is pure allegory. Allegory always takes me by surprise. I know that there is something really deep here that I'm missing. That I won't fully appreciate the show until I realize what it is. With Casshern Sins I didn't realize what it was until about the 22nd episode or so. Then everything fell into place. So if you feel as confused as I was and want to know, read the next spoiler. If you want to figure it out for yourself, don't.] spoiler[Casshern Sins is an allegory about death and how people face it. This explains all sorts of things about the series, like why the ending made you sad and happy at once. Oji and Lyuze died, but they were happy which is about as happy an ending as anyone can expect from real life.]

I still wonder about that pair of handguns Casshern wears. He never draws them once. Maybe they are just the result of a glandular condition or something.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
So the last episode is out now. I really liked this series. It was slow, dark, depressing even and not just a little bit confusing - until I realized something. spoiler[This story is pure allegory. Allegory always takes me by surprise. I know that there is something really deep here that I'm missing. That I won't fully appreciate the show until I realize what it is. With Casshern Sins I didn't realize what it was until about the 22nd episode or so. Then everything fell into place. So if you feel as confused as I was and want to know, read the next spoiler. If you want to figure it out for yourself, don't.] spoiler[Casshern Sins is an allegory about death and how people face it. This explains all sorts of things about the series, like why the ending made you sad and happy at once. Oji and Lyuze died, but they were happy which is about as happy an ending as anyone can expect from real life.]

I still wonder about that pair of handguns Casshern wears. He never draws them once. Maybe they are just the result of a glandular condition or something.

they're not handguns, they're jets. he's used them before, can't remember which episode, though.

i personally was disappointed with the ending, it didn't resolve anything at all. spoiler[he just continued to let Luna heal people (one of them i'm assuming is Ringo), so the cycle just continues. also what did they do with Luna's DNA? they never actually explained the plot point] overall it was a good series, but the ending left a lot to be desired.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
S.Canton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I've got to say, I'm pretty addicted to this show. There's just something about the art style that clicks with me.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
they're not handguns, they're jets. he's used them before, can't remember which episode, though.

Ah, that makes sense. They sure look like sidearms though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4