• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America to Release Natsume Yūjin-Chō Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
This is absolutely great news! Seriously, I'm trying not to go all-caps over this. I never thought we'd see a DVD release for Natsume. I'm just... wow. Yeah, NISA, take my money, please and thank you!

Parvati-IV wrote:
I may even order from them direct, depending on how much Nyanko swag the sets come with. I am so happy someone picked this up!
When you order from them directly do you get additional items that other vendors don't have, even if they're both "Premium/Limited" editions (or whatever they call it)?

Yup. For Toradora it was a poster, and the upcoming Kimi ni Todoke will have "• Exclusive Bonus Items (while supplies last!)
- 2 front-and-back colored graphic prints (5.5" x 8.5")
- Writable/erasable Love Letter magnet (5.5" x 8.5")"

In the past I've done for the dollar savings over the items, but since I only saved $4 on this I may spring for some of the bonus stuff for future releases.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
All four seasons?

Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not happy about this my most hated company picked up one of my favorite anime of all time.

If Sentai would have got it and subbed it I wouldn't mind since they would have most likely dubbed it if it sold well and if they wouldn't I would be ok since this series I was going to buy regardless if they got it. Besides I'd rather support them anyways cause they have been doing amazing plus they dubbed Ef when I thought it would never be licensed in the US so they are forever in my debt.

Such a disappointment for me today. Seriously it is....especially after I seen what BS effects NIS added to Pandora Hearts. Unforgivable there was no reason for that to tinker with it. Here is proof or if you got the anime you should know.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=359375

So thats why I will never buy anime from them that plus I seen their subs of Working! on Crunchyroll and sometimes the subs only stay up for a half a second before disappearing and it does almost half the time on every episode. ugh fail.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:

If Sentai would have got it and subbed it I wouldn't mind since they would have most likely dubbed it if it sold well and if they wouldn't I would be ok since this series I was going to buy regardless if they got it. Besides I'd rather support them anyways cause they have been doing amazing plus they dubbed Ef when I thought it would never be licensed in the US so they are forever in my debt.

So thats why I will never buy anime from them that plus I seen their subs of Working! on Crunchyroll and sometimes the subs only stay up for a half a second before disappearing and it does almost half the time on every episode. ugh fail.

If Sentai got it , it would be priced an extra 20 dollars too high lol. Also, Crunchyroll uses their own subtitles..don't blame NIS.

FireChick wrote:
Good: EEEEEEEEEEEK!!! MY WISH HAS FINALLY BEEN FULFILLED!!!

Bad: Awww. It's not gonna be dubbed. Oh well. Better than nothing, right?

I disagree with your bad. Most dubs now days are god awful, and really just a waste of time. No dubs=faster release. Very Happy
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Parvati-IV wrote:
poonk wrote:
Parvati-IV wrote:
I may even order from them direct, depending on how much Nyanko swag the sets come with. I am so happy someone picked this up!
When you order from them directly do you get additional items that other vendors don't have, even if they're both "Premium/Limited" editions (or whatever they call it)?
Yup. For Toradora it was a poster, and the upcoming Kimi ni Todoke will have "• Exclusive Bonus Items (while supplies last!)
- 2 front-and-back colored graphic prints (5.5" x 8.5")
- Writable/erasable Love Letter magnet (5.5" x 8.5")"

In the past I've done for the dollar savings over the items, but since I only saved $4 on this I may spring for some of the bonus stuff for future releases.
Okay, that's really good to know. I've already preordered their House of Five Leaves Premium boxset through RightStuf but frankly the bonus item for that one (a leaf-shaped paper fan) doesn't interest me enough to: A.) Go through the bother of canceling my TRSI order, or B.) Pay an extra $5 or so. But if Natsume comes with something special, it's worth that extra few bucks to me. I just registered at the NISA site so I'll be keeping an eye out for more details. Thanks for the heads up! Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I love NIS. Everything they release has flaws (strange visuals/artbox errors/Bluray "player issues", etc.) but damn it, I forgive them everytime. I will definitely buy this. Hooray!
ringoiero360

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I would've been a bit more happy with Sentai or Funimation, and don't even know much about NIS, but just the fact that the anime has finally been licensed after all this time makes me so excited! I hope it's released on blu-ray! ^_____________________^
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news. Love the manga and will definitely be getting this.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quite frankly I'd rather it remain unlicensed if it's not going to receive a dub.

Natsume Yuujinchou's a series that I feel would be a great thing to show friends and family, especially those who only watch Ghibli films. I also have to say, all the people I know who watch subtitled anime would already be fine with watching it on CrunchyRoll, so this DVD release does nothing for me (I'd also be really excited for a new take on the series, with English-speaking actors.) Besides, CrunchyRoll's subtitles for this series are utterly fantastic and I'd hate to see them change.

Oh, and NISA does not release their anime in Canada, to my knowledge (don't see anything on Amazon.ca, much less Best Buy or Future Shop's websites.) It also seems like NISA's continuing their legendarily poor ability to stock product, as I can no longer find Pandora Hearts or the second volume of Trinity Soul on RightStuf, so if I miss out on importing any of Natsume, I'm flat out of luck while they just sit on the license.

Finally, I have to worry that, if they screw up the release in any way (as NISA is prone to do with most of their releases,) how likely is it that they'll cater to importers if they do a replacement program? Considering that my only reason to buy these packages is for my love of the series and for collector's value, that'd be a right stab in the back.

Kougeru wrote:
No dubs=faster release. Very Happy
I've been waiting for three years already, I can wait longer for a proper release.

As it stands, I'll be importing a 53 dollar artbook (plus some slightly hefty shipping.) That's all I get out of this package. Whether the DVD quality will be better or not remains to be seen (I mean, NISA's had trouble with this in the past already, haven't they?) and who knows how the subtitles will compare to CrunchyRoll's.

I know this is a very rant-y post, and I'm sorry, but I'm very disappointed with this news, and I think it's for very legitimate concerns.

As it stands though, I will heartily salute the folk who've handled Natsume Yuujinchou for CrunchyRoll so far. You've done good work!

Last edited by Taiyz on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hergen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Shit! I was hoping to be able to buy this one day, but getting a NIS title delivered to europe is just too much hassle (or cost-intensive, put it as you like). Sad
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:

Okay, that's really good to know. I've already preordered their House of Five Leaves Premium boxset through RightStuf but frankly the bonus item for that one (a leaf-shaped paper fan) doesn't interest me enough to: A.) Go through the bother of canceling my TRSI order, or B.) Pay an extra $5 or so. But if Natsume comes with something special, it's worth that extra few bucks to me. I just registered at the NISA site so I'll be keeping an eye out for more details. Thanks for the heads up! Anime smile

Maybe I missed something but I checked out both Rightstuf and NISA and with free shipping it actually seemed to be cheaper on NISA (which is where I ended up ordering it).

I didn't even realize there was a bonus item...but yeah it's not anything that amazing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Well that's good. I kinda hope they find a more affordable way of releasing this though. Paying for expensive premium sets is fine for a single season show but doing it again, and again, and again...and again for a four season show is a bit much. I'd like to at least see something in the ballpark of 26 episode sets.

NISA also does release non-premium versions of their shows, like Toradora!, but I believe they wait until the premium versions sell out.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
Quite frankly I'd rather it remain unlicensed if it's not going to receive a dub.
Er, why? I mean, if someone's not going to buy it because it's not dubbed, why shouldn't those of us who are perfectly happy with that state of affairs at least have a chance to buy it? I watched it and fell in love with it in subtitled form so to me, a dub is pointless. Shouldn't I be able to buy it? Sorry, but your comment is just kind of spiteful.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
poonk wrote:

Maybe I missed something but I checked out both Rightstuf and NISA and with free shipping it actually seemed to be cheaper on NISA (which is where I ended up ordering it).
I doublechecked, and at NISA the Ho5L boxset is $47.99 while at TRSI it's $43.99. Unless NISA had some sort of super-early preorder deal that I missed(?).
ringoiero360

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Happy at first, but here come the doubts. Is NIS America a bad company?
I really do want to finally own this series (I almost imported a volume of the Japanese release but came to my senses before I paid too much), but i'm starting to get a bit worried after reading some stuff.

I would also be fine with no dub since the Japanese is already good, and I bet a weird voice would be chosen for Nyanko.

Last edited by ringoiero360 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taiyz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Taiyz wrote:
Er, why? I mean, if someone's not going to buy it because it's not dubbed, why shouldn't those of us who are perfectly happy with that state of affairs at least have a chance to buy it? I watched it and fell in love with it in subtitled form so to me, a dub is pointless. Shouldn't I be able to buy it? Sorry, but your comment is just kind of spiteful.
Let me correct myself then.

I would rather pay for DVDs straight from CrunchyRoll, because they've done such a good job already and I would love to support that more.

Now, it could very well be that NISA is indeed publishing the title for CrunchyRoll, much like how Bandai published 5cm Per Second for them, but the press release does not explicitly state this.

If CR is part of the whole deal, I will be happy to buy this release (although I still think it deserves a dub,) but as it stands I feel that I'm being sold the same product with possibly lesser quality.

Last edited by Taiyz on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5