• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Paint a Vulgar Picture

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
wow i didn't think metal slug 3 was concidered the peak, i thought metal slug x was.

skipped out playing 6 and now it looks like im gonna skip out on 7.

yea the Sailor Moon arcade game and SNES game were complete trash.
kaizen-dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Im very pleased Gen is in SFIV he's one of my favourites from the Alpha series its a shame theres no Guy or Rolento.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, except for Street Fighter 4, I don't see any other game here that would interest me. Well, considering Persona 4 is coming next month (and I hope to see it here in an X Button column) I guess getting a new game now would be a bad idea. Better finish my first run of Star Ocean then. :3

The only part of the article I can comment on is the Sailor Moon fighter. I played it on the ZSNES for a brief time. Didn't like it too much, but it was a fun romp for the most time.
Descent123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Yeah, Toaplan's shmups are pretty good. I'm partial towards Vimana, Slap Fight, Out Zone, Truxton, Batsugun, and Grind Stormer/V-Five.

Oh yeah, the Raiden series was actually meant to be a sort of tribute to Toaplan. The Type A ship in Batsugun is sort of like the Raiden ship (forward spread shot and straight missiles)

Out Zone was really good, one of the best Toaplan soundtracks IMO. Raiden plays like Twin Cobra, no joke.

Metal Slug 7 doesn't look too good. Since it's not an arcade game the game will be a lot easier than the other games in the series.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I almost squealed like a fangirl as I heard Zidane and Kuja -my favorite FF protagonist and villain- speak in the trailer!

Akira Ishida nailed down Kuja's snobbishness and crazyness, and I was elated as I heard Romi Paku, since her voice always echoed in my head whenever I read Zidane's dialogues in the game Anime hyper

This concludes the reason why I intend to buy Dissidia.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Yeah, Toaplan's shmups are pretty good. I'm partial towards Vimana, Slap Fight, Out Zone, Truxton, Batsugun, and Grind Stormer/V-Five.

Oh yeah, the Raiden series was actually meant to be a sort of tribute to Toaplan. The Type A ship in Batsugun is sort of like the Raiden ship (forward spread shot and straight missiles)

Out Zone was really good, one of the best Toaplan soundtracks IMO. Raiden plays like Twin Cobra, no joke.

Metal Slug 7 doesn't look too good. Since it's not an arcade game the game will be a lot easier than the other games in the series.

Yeah, easy mode gives you an infinite Heavy Machine Gun Razz

Out Zone is awesome once you pick up the Super Ball. Very Happy Also there's a ton of hidden bonuses in the game, most of which are the ZIG ship from Zero Wing flying across the screen leaving a trail of 5000 point bonuses.

Todd is officially my favorite editor on ANN now because he likes shmups. I can already tell. Razz
jajuka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
So nobody noticed the three Twix bars over Gouken's hand in the character select screen?!

Argghh!

Did Aliens vs. Predator EVER get released on a Capcom compilation?
It would be worth buying if I found it on XBox Live Arcade! (That and the GI:JOE arcade 3rd person scroller from back in the day.)
I'm sure emulators are the answer.
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
wow i miss that game, too bad the SNES version was crap
Lackshmana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
"Bioware's well-received Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood put the hedgehog in his most acclaimed game since the Genesis days..."

Wha?

That game was weak and was met with mediocre reviews. What acclaim? Well received by who?

Sonic Rush (mentioned in the article oddly enough) and its sequel put Sonic in his most acclaim since the genesis, not Dark Brotherhood.

Otherwise, excellent article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
BTW, Amazon just sent me an e-mail that they got a limited stock of Wiis for sale.
animu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
"Broken Bond and Ultimate Ninja Storm are neck and neck" for visuals are they? What an absolute load of biased, untrue garbage from a website that has often shown itself to be anti-Playstation and pro-anything 360 related.

I've been playing Broken Bond for a couple of days after a solid week on Ultimate Ninja Storm and Broken Bond simply is not in the same league as Ultimate Ninja Storm on either the graphics front or the gameplay front. Whereas UNS has the most fluid, detailed animation and visuals any anime game has ever had, Broken Bond is merely more of the same from the deeply broken Rise of a Ninja, same slow, stiff combat and irritating, imprecise platforming, but with added QTE sequences and more cutscenes. The visuals are identical to Rise of a Ninja though, that is the facts of it. All BB has going for it is it's online functions, but I'd rather play a great fighter with no online than a terrible one with online. 'Ambitious'? A couple of years ago maybe, but not now. UNS is a fighting game first and foremost, while BB is the original Jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

It's become tiresome to come here every week to read the latest piece of snide 'reporting' on new PS3 releases alongside constant apologist excuse making crap for why anything that comes out on 360 is better than anything else that has come before. Oh, Bioware can do no wrong in ANN's eyes apparently, hence the repeated lies about Sonic Chronicles, which hasn't been 'well received' anywhere. And when was the last time you saw the PS3 cover art of a multi-platform game used on here? Never, as far as I remember.

Safe to say this is the last time I read this godawful excuse for a website and felt I had to get a few things off my chest. There is more I could say, but I won't, as most on here are sycophants who will acknowledge no wrong doing on the part of the despicable cads who run this site and will no doubt rush in to call me a 'troll' and a 'fanboy' any second now. Just be aware guys, I won't be back to see your posts, so don't waste your time.

Goodbye.
toddc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Todd is officially my favorite editor on ANN now because he likes shmups. I can already tell. Razz

Here's where I destroy your faith in me by confessing that I don't like Darius, Mars Matrix, Twin Bee, or any Gradius but V.

I do like Dodonpachi, though!

jajuka wrote:
It would be worth buying if I found it on XBox Live Arcade! (That and the GI:JOE arcade 3rd person scroller from back in the day.)
I'm sure emulators are the answer.

I'm not sure if it's ever been confirmed, but the most reasonable theory is that Capcom only had the rights to Alien vs. Predator in the arcade. That's why there were other games with the same title on the SNES and Jaguar released around the same time as Capcom's version. The license for console Alien and/or Predator games has rested with other publishers in the years since, so Capcom's own Alien vs. Predator is landlocked, and getting it cleared for Xbox Live or some compilation isn't worth the legal issues. Or so the rationale goes.

animu wrote:
"Broken Bond and Ultimate Ninja Storm are neck and neck" for visuals are they? What an absolute load of...

That was utterly marvelous. Please stay and do that every week.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:

Here's where I destroy your faith in me by confessing that I don't like Darius, Mars Matrix, Twin Bee, or any Gradius but V.

I can see why you wouldn't like Twinbee or Gradius. The bell juggling in Twinbee is frustrating at times and Gradius can be annoying when you die. V and Gaiden alleviate this by giving you plenty of powerup capsules and Gaiden has the gauge edit Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2