• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Listen To Me Girls, I'm Your Father! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well people squick over just step siblings having a relationship, some would have a problem with his step niece having a trouble with his step niece having a crush on him. Well she is only about 4-5 years younger than him, but still young. Actually I wonder what the age differemce between the mother and father is.

Then that's not even incest. Rolling Eyes

The only objection that comes from incest is the slight increase in chance of mutation of the offspring. If it's step-siblings, it's exactly the same thing as being in a relationship outside of incest. Same goes for adopted siblings etc.

I NEVER SAID IT WAS, I was just say some people consider it counting as wrong. Wanna hear a secret? I personally do not even understand what the big deal of incest is, everyone is always on about love conquering all and love being all that is important. But than you hear lots of uproar about what can supposedly happen from a long line incest, and is supposedly an evil against nature.

Quote:
WTF does squick mean.
The physical sense of repulsion upon encountering a concept or situation one finds disgusting.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I rarely read manga (don't have time) but somehow I read part of this one. It seems to me the sequence of the anime story is a lot easier to follow than the manga.

The one thing I can't answer is, instead of having the 3 girls in a 6-mat apartment and having two of them (the middle school girls) commuting an hour to get to school, doesn't it occur to anyone it would be easier for them all stay at Yuuta's sis's place where there is more room, only Yuuta would have to commute, and he wouldn't have to pay for the apartment so he would have more time and money for the commute?

I guess that would wreck all the fun, so anime-law is invoked and everyone refuses to see the obvious. Unless I am missing something obvious. And we know that would never happen.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
There's just one thing I REALLY have trouble understanding...

Why all the talk about incest or how squicky this show is due to it?

Anyone who even read the premise should know that two of the girls aren't even spoiler[related] to him at all. The only one that has any relations to him isspoiler[ Hina], and her relationship with Yuuta is just one of "adowwable niece and uncle who plays along with niece".

Starting to think many people don't even know what incest really is. Laughing

Even though they're not blood-related, incest comes up as a topic of discussion because the title and the premise deliberately cultivate the taboo, even if it does take measures to prevent creating it fully; the dynamic of the relationship is still like that of a father-daughter one.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I think people get too caught up in the genetics of incest, when that isn't what's creepy about it. The power structures that make it creepy can exist among unrelated folks.

That said, he's not their father figure yet, he's basically a babysitter, and the idea that a teenaged girl would stupidly have the hots for an older male she hasn't seen very much and has been able to idealize... it's not that weird.

I guess it might move in that direction later. I haven't read the manga. And the dude's reactions are quite unpleasant.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
sob sob sob ... I giggled. I actually (so far) prefer the college/Raika stuff to the actual premise of the show, but that may because any time an anime isn't set in a high school I get jazzed. Yay, no cultural festival episode! (Oh crap, they don't have those in Japanese universities, do they?)
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
sob sob sob ... I giggled. I actually (so far) prefer the college/Raika stuff to the actual premise of the show, but that may because any time an anime isn't set in a high school I get jazzed. Yay, no cultural festival episode! (Oh crap, they don't have those in Japanese universities, do they?)

I sort of doubt they even have them at Japanese high schools, but who knows.

I second that the college stuff is more fun.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind there's two teenage girls that still could have cultural festivals at their school.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the "sob sob sob" bit, yeah that was great.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Keep in mind there's two teenage girls that still could have cultural festivals at their school.

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. I guess I'm assuming that since the girls will be living with him, they will be pulled more into his world as opposed to him being pulled into theirs, but that is merely an assumption on my part.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. I guess I'm assuming that since the girls will be living with him, they will be pulled more into his world as opposed to him being pulled into theirs, but that is merely an assumption on my part.

PTA if Japanese schools have them. That should be amusing if that happens.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Even though they're not blood-related, incest comes up as a topic of discussion because the title and the premise deliberately cultivate the taboo, even if it does take measures to prevent creating it fully; the dynamic of the relationship is still like that of a father-daughter one.

Actually it's more like "cool bigger brother figure"-niece. While he's technically an uncle, with his age and mindset, he's much closer to that of an older cousin or older brother than either an actual father or uncle.

I think he even objected to being called uncle....or maybe it was another anime I watched.
Quote:
I think people get too caught up in the genetics of incest, when that isn't what's creepy about it.

Genetics is the one and only actual reason to be cautious when it comes to incest in the first place, that's the sole reason why some animals in nature try to avoid incestuous pairings. Do animals worry about power imbalance when they choose their mates?

And I only say cautious because, let's be honest here, the chances of a mutation only increases marginally when it's only one generation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
His mindset towards them were shown when I think I remember him almost telling his niece to call him "onii-chan". Lets to a little maths, the eldest about 5 year younger than him, the middle is 8 year younger, and youngest was born when he was around 16. Fairly normal for sibling ages.

I am a 21 year old Cub scout leader, it can be quite apparent that the interactions I have with the kids is closer to being like big brother compared to the elder leaders who are often parents themselves.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow episode 2 was a sad one Crying or Very sad. I was glad to see Yuuta take a stand spoiler[ in not separating the girls. Their parents are dead/missing, so it would be brutal and somewhat inhumane to separate them. I know life is not fair, but it was nice to see Yuuta do what his sister did in the past when both of their parents died.]

Hina is such a cute character. It was funny to see the gamer in Yuuta not even go easy on a 3 year old. It reminded of some anime, which I do not recall, where a rule was established that you should let your girlfriend win some of the games if you go to the arcade together or she will dump you for being a mood killer.
pokefreaks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'd decided to keep up with this show every week after watching the first episode. Love the youngest girl's character design along with the overall character personalities.

I'll be calling the show Papa Kiki when I discuss it with my friends since the ending credits suggested me to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22