• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 7 Anime Characters with Terrible Karma

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unready

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Winry's Parents (Fullmetal Alchemist)
... the couple are killed ... by ... Scar.

Killed by Scar in FMA: Brotherhood. Killed by Mustang in FMA.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Tenma is the king, no, the Emperor of Bad Karma. I know "no good deed goes unpunished" but still...
I'm glad Hayate is #2!!

I'll proudly say I'm looking forward to both Moretsu Pirates (or Privateers as some people point out) and Daily Lives of High School Boys. Already love all of the previous seasons of Natsume Yujin-Cho so I guess that doesn't count.

unready wrote:
spoiler[Killed by Scar in FMA: Brotherhood. Killed by Mustang in FMA.]

Brotherhood stays closer to the manga whereas FMA 2003 had an original story so basically spoiler[Scar legitimately kills the Rockbell couple, not Col. Mustang.]
Edit: Unless, of course, you meant that Gia didn't include the title Brotherhood in the list so that non-fans could tell the difference then, I understand.

Last edited by Keichitsu0305 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
The "History of Claire," episodes were the best part of Claymore and the way that Theresa dealt with the bandits was the most interesting, compelling part of that, leading to an interesting tragic conclusion.

Doctor Tenman certainly deserves first place. Monster is damned near Karma is a Bitch, the Animation.

Bravo to the 9.41% of participants who agreed with me that Norman would be the best choice. Roberta is awesome, but only as a combatant, not as a domestic servant. Norman, contrarily, was an able butler, had a distinguished and gentlemanly bearing, could repair giant robots and had a motorcycle with a missile launcher. That's everything I want in my manservant.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Worst karma ever? Dr. Tenma has to take the title, but FMA's Nina Tucker is a close second.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Yes! It's nice to see one of my favorites topping this list, even if it is at poor Dr. Tenma's expense. Very good list, loaded with anime I actually care about!

Juuust a small nitpick though. Yusuke gets hit by a car, not a truck. Wink
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Shu, Sis, and Sara from "Now and Then, Here and There" had it pretty rough.

And for a little old school action:

Oscar (Rose of Versailles)
Marco (3,000 Leagues in Search of Mother -- title kinda says it all)
Joe Yabuki (Ashita no Joe)
Bernie (Gundam 0080)
Camille Vidan (Zeta Gundam)
Elpi Puru (Gundam ZZ)
Anyone who tried to do well in Aura Battler Dunbine

On a subtler note, Captain Gotoh from Patlabor -- while not a tragic character -- is an elite officer in exile with the SV2. On top of that, he's in love with a woman who will never, ever return his interest.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
In Monster's defense, Tenma did cheat his way out of medical school and played favorites with lives he chose to save.
Zerozap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen many of these shows... maybe only seen FMA now that I think about it, but...

Where's Euphy?

Euphemia Li Britannia?

I mean... does becoming wanted criminals or being entangled in a conspiracy really compare? Not going to spoil, but for those who know what I'm talking about.

Karma wise...

Honest question.

Sad face
Szaki_The_Only

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I was almost certain Furude Rika from Higurashi would show up. spoiler[A time loop is the best thing that can happen to you..featuring some homicidal maniacs :/ ]
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Spoilers, folks! Some of us are getting a little too close for comfort with them. Um, anyway, Tenma takes the top. Sango isn't a bad choice; I'd forgotten about her. I just got through the 1st scenario of Higurashi the other day; someone from that qualifies, although who is up for grabs at that point.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to terrible karma, I think that Kannabi-no-mikoto from Air trumps any of the characters on the list.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At one point, Machi attempts to help her baby brother by bringing him a blanket when he seemed cold. In exchange, her mother thinks that Machi was trying to suffocate the baby and kicks her out of the house, forcing Machi to live alone throughout her high school career. Nice.

I hope her mother suffered a cold lonely death somewhere then.

Furudanuki wrote:
When it comes to terrible karma, I think that Kannabi-no-mikoto from Air trumps any of the characters on the list.

Indeed, I'm inclined to agree with you. So damn depressing, that one's fate.

I'm surprised to see He is My Master on the butler list there. I didn't think anyone else really watched it enough. I watched it for the perverted alligator though. XP
Molenir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The absolute worst one I can think of, is from the anime Le Chevalier D'Eon

Anna Rochefort - The main characters girlfriend/fiance. spoiler[Engaged to a crossdresser who didn't really love her. All she wanted was to be shown a bit of care by the man she loved. Twas not to be however. Instead she was murdered because she discovered the truth about the king.]

Oh, and I would have to agree with an earlier poster on Euphemia. That one seriously pissed me off. I quit watching Lelouch after that.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I edited the immediate previous post to add in spoiler tags, but some of the rest of you have been playing fast and loose with not using the tags, too. Be considerate, people.

I agree with all of Gia's choices that I'm actually familiar with, but I also agree that Euphemia (from Code Geass), Kannabi-no-mikoto (from Air), and Sara (from NTHT) are worthy choices - especially Sara. The other two and Teresa from Gia's list were at least in positions which exposed them to serious potential for karmic mayhem, but Sara was a completely innocent bystander who got dragged into her horror simply because she vaguely looked like someone else.

Kagura from Speed Grapher is another name I'd toss out as worthy of consideration; she certainly doesn't deserve any of the ugliness that happens to her.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I think a lot of examples in the comments are just people with really bad luck, rather than those who take actions that are incredibly unfairly rewarded, which is what I thought the "terrible karma" idea would be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3