• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter (TV 2011).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Darksorrow29 wrote:
@ the OP

If you can, try to find Carl's anime preview of last season which includes the first episode or two of Hunter x Hunter 2011. In a nutshell he says (and I heavily agree) that the original Hunter x Hunter does not even need a remake. To my knowledge it stays pretty close to the manga story line and the only thing i'd argue is the pacing of the first 3 episodes.

There were some plot inconsistencies that made some future developments almost impossible to fix. Also, the direction was rarely faithful to the manga. As someone who read the manga before watching an episode of the 1999 series (and initially really liked the 1999 series as a whole), it's kind of clear that the new adaptation thus far has followed Togashi's direction and style much closer than in the Nippon Animation version.

I also feel like the director really knows what he's doing when it comes to the series. Here's an interview with him:
Quote:
Hunter × Hunter Anime Director: "I'm happy to hear the general response to the new series, criticism included. From here is where it starts to get really interesting"

Anime Questionnaire: "Hunter × Hunter" From here is where it starts to get really interesting

Tell me, what's the series about and what's so charming about it?

The main character, Gon, after being abandoned by his own father, has yearned to become a "Hunter." Since aiming towards the job, he meets various people and overcomes many trials; it's a coming of age story. Its principles of morality and views on "bad things" are much different from the norm. It's also become a profound work in which a lot of characters can enter the story and each speak in ways incredibly deep.

When adapting the work into animation, what essence of the series was the most important to depict?

Because the original manga first started being published 13 years ago and since the first Hunter x Hunter animated series ended 7 years ago, we made this series because we wanted people who don't know about "Hunter x Hunter" (especially children) to see its charm. Of course, we've had to avoid some grotesque imagery. However, we were especially careful not to ruin the atmosphere present in the original work.

What makes you happiest about being able to create this work? And the opposite--is there anything difficult about it?

Since the original work is fairly well known, sometimes I get comments after it's been animated. I've been quite happy to hear the general response to the new series, criticism included; I feel as if it's a difficult work to do again. I'm a bit worried as to whether or not we'll have to alter the unavoidable grotesque imagery from hereafter.

Please leave a brief message for the readers.

In the Hunter Exam arc, Gon at his core seems like he'd belong in a typical Shonen anime series. But after the Zoldyck Family and the Phantom Troupe are introduced, the ambiance changes. And I think from here is where it starts to get really interesting. I would be happy if you would watch the show with a long-term view.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I've never read the manga or seen the older show, but I like what I've seen of the first two episodes. Gon seems kind of serene for a spunky Shonen hero, which I find refreshing.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
@ Mr. Toto

Thanks for the info, I haven't read the manga. Maybe I should check out the series again after a certain point o.o?
calimike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
Hunter x Hunter Episode 16 did 4.0% rating last Saturday, according to 2ch Arrow
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
Hunter x Hunter Episode 16 did 4.0% rating last Saturday, according to 2ch Arrow

To a person who knows absolutely nothing about ratings and it's %'s....what does that mean?
4750G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
I've watched the first Hunter x Hunter but I didn't finish it. I think I stopped somewhere near Greed Island.

@Gon*Gon, sorry, I have no idea how to interpret ratings either. >.<

Personally, I'm enjoying the new anime despite already knowing the story line. The best part for me is the fact that it moves at a faster pace. The first anime has around 60 episodes and covers until Greed Island, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't finish that arc, since I think there's an OVA for Greed Island. Given the pace of the new anime, it will cover much, much more if it reaches around 60 episodes as well. It's not like the new anime skips over vital parts that the new anime didn't - sure, spoiler[Kaito is not yet introduced in the new anime], but other than that, everything's in order. I for one look forward to new episodes every week. The latest episode's out, spoiler[and Gon finally got Hisoka's ID tag, although he was tricked and pitied in the end. Oh, I can't wait for the new anime t reach that part where Gon finally punches Hisoka back as payment for saving his life]. The first anime showed how Leorio got his target's ID tag, so I wanna know if next week's episode will show that or will cut to the end of the Fourth Phase.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
I'm just anxious about how well this does. I'm only watching this because I REALLY want to see Chimera Ants(Nefelpitou!!!!) animated.

Quote:
I've watched the first Hunter x Hunter but I didn't finish it. I think I stopped somewhere near Greed Island.

lol, might as well finish it. That's like the end of the old series.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting, because so far the 2011 version has covered (except for the first episode and skipping the sushi part of Menchi's exam) pretty much 2 chapters of manga every episode. The reason why I say that's interesting is that it took 92 episodes (TV + OVA, GI, GI Final) to cover everything till the end of Greed Island, which is around chapter 185. That's almost exactly 2 chapters of manga per episode.

I remember someone on the Madhouse production staff claiming that HxH 2011 will be the definitive Hunter X Hunter anime, but so far, that hasn't been the case at all. Sure, arguments can be made that is has been more enjoyable with a slightly brisker pace with I can't argue with. However, the first 15 episodes or so of the 1999 version are well-known to be the absolute worst of the series. If the 2011 version can only barely (if that) surpass them, then what's going to happen as it progresses further into the story?

That said, 2011 version isn't bad. The lackluster BGM really does hurt it though. I'll be curious to see how far it goes, considering its TV ratings aren't amazing and the DVD/BDs are not likely to reach any Oricon charts. I'd like to see the Chimera Ant arc animated, but I have no idea how that could happen with the current status of the TV anime. The manga sells a million copies per volume still, couldn't they have just made an OVA again? Or at the very least, an OAD?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I may be getting tired of the show again. I had “dropped” it last season, but that decision only lasted a couple weeks when I decided that it was such an easy watch I might as well continue. But the premise of the Hunter Exams is getting to me.

People want to be Hunters, and the position seems to hold prestige and they are apparently considered to be made up of “good guys,” benevolent explorers and treasure hunters. The Examiners seem to be pretty decent at least and the general consensus of the examiners is that someone like Hisoka is completely unfit to be a Hunter... but is allowed to take the tests anyway. Yet the exam is open to everyone and is, especially the current stage, essentially a license to murder... murdering those that have proved to be the best and brightest, highly skilled individuals that have beat everyone else in the previous rounds- the sort of individuals that may be good people, beneficial to society even if they can't reach the level of “Hunter.”

What sort of warped logic is this? What would an equivalent of that be? Collect dozens of the best soldiers you have, war heroes all, valuable members of society and defenders of all of the values you hold dear, throw in a few gangsters, murderers, and blood-thirsty terrorists and tell them all they're in a test and the winners will become Navy Seals... now of course they wouldn't actually let a terrorist be a Seal but we'll let 'em play along and if some of our best soldiers are killed in the test, oh well, that's just how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Hunters are not 'good guys'. There is no morality involved with being a Hunter. You're free to do as you choose with the wealth and fame one gets from being a Hunter. Some choose to do good and others choose to do bad. Kurapica and Leorio both want to be Hunters for seemingly 'good' reasons. One to get the information on the Genei Ryodan and hunt them and the other to afford medical training so he can open up a clinic that everyone can have access to for free. Others use the Hunter name for bad purposes. They haven't really been introduced yet, so I'll keep quiet. And others just use the Hunter Exam as a way to stave off boredom. That's more Hisoka and Killua's schtick.
NegativeGate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Well I caved in to curiosity and started watching last night and even though I read what everyone said here already, I was still surprised at how much faster everything goes. It is literally twice as fast, and while I can't really say its bad because it does get to the more interesting parts of the show faster I never really found anything wrong with to beginning of the other series that makes me say it is an overwhelming positive. In particular (I only just saw the third episode)spoiler[I felt that Gon's aunt simply exists as opposed to what I considered to be a very well handled farewell scene in the original series. Although I wasn't really sad to see the foxbear(?) scenes go as I didn't feel it was interesting as Gon comes off as overly sympathetic and caring with or without it.Also as far as the ship captain goes...nice face guy.]In light of that I wonder If more things I found interesting will be sped or brushed over in favor of a faster pace or if things will slow down once they get to material that hasn't been animated before.All in all I still like it, but rather than being used to bring in a new audience (which it can as the TC is this) I feel like it is better served as an easier way to re-watch as series I liked before, but I would still probably send a first time viewer to the original even if I won't watch it again because this is faster and my memory is obviously filling in the blanks for me anyway.
killmyself

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking about watching this after reading some of the comments. I generally prefer action anime to be faster paced. I saw a couple hours worth of the original on funimations tv channel I believe a few years ago and it didn't hook me.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's interesting, because so far the 2011 version has covered (except for the first episode and skipping the sushi part of Menchi's exam) pretty much 2 chapters of manga every episode. The reason why I say that's interesting is that it took 92 episodes (TV + OVA, GI, GI Final) to cover everything till the end of Greed Island, which is around chapter 185. That's almost exactly 2 chapters of manga per episode.

This is a bit misleading for you to say, especially considering that the pace of the anime speeds up halfway through it.

The first arc takes place over 38 chapters, but it takes the original series 31 episodes to cover it. The next arc, is adapted nearly on a 1:1 ratio. The pacing starts to get a lot better in the arc after that and it sort of perfects itself in the final arc of the animated series.

The Greed Island OVAs, however, rush through the material instead. 61 chapters of fairly dense material are covered in 22 episodes.

Megiddo wrote:
I remember someone on the Madhouse production staff claiming that HxH 2011 will be the definitive Hunter X Hunter anime, but so far, that hasn't been the case at all. Sure, arguments can be made that is has been more enjoyable with a slightly brisker pace with I can't argue with. However, the first 15 episodes or so of the 1999 version are well-known to be the absolute worst of the series. If the 2011 version can only barely (if that) surpass them, then what's going to happen as it progresses further into the story?

Actually, I'd like to contest this. The difference is largely in the scripts. For example, remember how that warrior (Gozu) begged Hisoka to kill him essentially in request for suicide? In the 1999 series, Gozu approaches Hisoka for a duel but makes no mention of suicide. He's doing it because he is a "proud Bianu warrior," and has wanted to duel Hisoka since the start of the fight.

Changes like this exist in almost every episode of the 1999 series, but it's especially apparent in the first three arcs. Try reading Viz's translation of the manga side-by-side with their dub (a good arc to do this with is the one immediately following the Hunter Exam--it's short, but gets the point across), which is actually extremely faithful in capturing the nuance present in lines in the Japanese version. You'll start to notice a lot of differences that alter the ways in which you think of the character.

Megiddo wrote:
That said, 2011 version isn't bad. The lackluster BGM really does hurt it though. I'll be curious to see how far it goes, considering its TV ratings aren't amazing and the DVD/BDs are not likely to reach any Oricon charts. I'd like to see the Chimera Ant arc animated, but I have no idea how that could happen with the current status of the TV anime. The manga sells a million copies per volume still, couldn't they have just made an OVA again? Or at the very least, an OAD?

The newest episode got a 4.0% and frequently graces the top ten most viewed anime shows during the week. As far as Nippon Animation making an OVA instead, that depends. Did you enjoy the Greed Island OVAs? That's likely how they would have adapted the Chimera Ant arc.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 pm Reply with quote
No, what I said about pacing was absolutely correct. It wasn't misleading at all. I didn't say that the pacing was consistent in the original series, only that if the 2011 version continues at the same pace, then it will be nearly equivalent length as the first TV series added with the 3 OVAs.

I enjoyed GI Final, yes. GI? Not so much. I much preferred the darker celluloid animation that was in the first OVA though. York-shin was the best-adapted arc. Still, considering the 2011 version can't even follow the manga by showing Killua crush Jones' heart, how could you possibly think it could do Chimera Ant in its current state? At least in GI Final spoiler[it showed Gon getting his arm blown off].

And really, for something that is the "definitive" version, they should at least have gotten Kurapica's eye-color correct.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
No, what I said about pacing was absolutely correct. It wasn't misleading at all. I didn't say that the pacing was consistent in the original series, only that if the 2011 version continues at the same pace, then it will be nearly equivalent length as the first TV series added with the 3 OVAs.

Oh, in this case, then I agree. They'll be nearly the same length, but I think the material that they cover will be slightly different between episodes.

Megiddo wrote:
I enjoyed GI Final, yes. GI? Not so much. I much preferred the darker celluloid animation that was in the first OVA though. York-shin was the best-adapted arc. Still, considering the 2011 version can't even follow the manga by showing Killua crush Jones' heart, how could you possibly think it could do Chimera Ant in its current state? At least in GI Final spoiler[it showed Gon getting his arm blown off].

And really, for something that is the "definitive" version, they should at least have gotten Kurapica's eye-color correct.

"Definitive" is in regard to the content, which actually has largely followed the manga more closely than the 1999 series. There are some deviations from the source material in the 1999 series that are difficult to even see without the text next to you. If you get a free chance, try watching the second arc while reading the manga at the same time.

I actually think that G.I. Final is adapted the most subpar of all of the OVAs. Some of the problems consistent throughout the series sort of come to a head--like the abandonment of Togashi's visual style makes spoiler[the Nen talk very confusing, especially when it comes to Ren.] Not to mention that certain details end up actually being wrong/inconsistent with the rest of the series. If you follow along with the volumes, it's easier to tell how frequently pages of material are either skipped or rewritten. Though it's easiest in Japanese, since an official version of the OVAs doesn't exist in NA. Give it a try--you'll be surprised. I think both series have their good and bad points, but Madhouse has been doing an outstanding job thus far.

Though I agree with the thing about Kurapika's eyes, the censorship of violence in the new series is likely due to the changes in censorship law in general in Japan. There are things you just can't get away with on television anymore, though I am surprised that Killua was still able to pull out Johness' heart. If that's the kind of censorship we see in this series, I think we're in good hands.

The new series has also thus far retained many elements of violence that the old series left out, if that means anything to you. Give it a shot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 52