• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - From Me to Yu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting to see if NISA will really cut out the recap episode in the second volume of KnT before I jump in. It's a matter of principle to me.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... Pass. I loved Fruits Basket, Boys Over Flowers and His and Hers Circumstances, but if KnT is as bad as Peach Boy, I'll pass. Sure, most teens aren't the brightest, most well-adjusted or mature pennies in the fountain, but I have little patience for a story or plot that hinges on incomprehensible logic, misunderstandings taken beyond the point of ridiculousness (not played for comedy), or a lack of common sense (or reality). But then again, these are teens...

"On the spectrum" LOL!
A gold star for working autism (a rather unfunny topic) into a joke. Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with you; it's an epidemic in anime and manga characters, shojo especially.

Redline, on the other hand, goes all the way to 11.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, would like to come out as pro-car, unlike my opponent. She appears to like walking everywhere, but I do not! I have voted for cars and my record reflects that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Frankly I'm surprised to see this was released in October, since my pre-ordered copy arrived in January.

Actually it was delayed until January, presumably to add the Bluray version (at least it seems that way since it was originally solicited as a dvd only release).
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Very pro Kimi ni Todoke - I loved Sawako, even if I did want to strangle her for her obtuseness at times. I can relate, in a male way - I didn't understand anyone at school. Just had my 20-year reunion and the common theme was:

Them: "I didn't talk to you because I thought you didn't like me."
Me: "No - I didn't know how to communicate with people".

I also adored Chizu and Ayane - their (often over-)protectiveness of Sawako was endearing as they learned how to cope with and encourage this socially-inept, self-conscious and unconfident girl.

KnT is very much Shelf-Worthy for me (though I think that the set described here would not be - I'd be looking at a basic set).

Redline OTOH is Rental Shelf. Yes, it was fun. Yes it was pretty. But would I want to watch it again? Probably not. Definitely not enough times to make it worth owning.

Last edited by tcdelaney on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Well add me to the con-KnT camp, I watched the whole first season, since I'd heard soooooooo many people say just how ridiculously amazing it was and was several underwhelmed. If Sawako and Kazehaya had been my friends I probably would've locked them together in a closet until they confessed to each other just so they would start dating and actually do something then. I really adore shojo and I've enjoyed romantic series before, this one just didn't click with me.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Maize Hughes wrote:

And, yeah, I love Sawako too. She's adorable. And, she answers the question "what would a real 'pure hearted, true shojou, girl do in a "real" setting?"

Ah, but what would a pure-hearted true real girl do in a "shoujo" setting? Probably not Sawako. Laughing
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
osakaedo wrote:
Put me in the pro-KnT camp. I'd easily watch that over RedLine any day of the week. Sawako is way more luvable than Funky Boy.

I was thinking of cosplaying as Funky Boy.

CareyGrant wrote:
Yeah... Pass. I loved Fruits Basket, Boys Over Flowers and His and Hers Circumstances, but if KnT is as bad as Peach Boy, I'll pass.

I said it wasn't as good as Peach Girl.

Maize Hughes wrote:
I see Kimi ni Todoke as pure, 200 proof, distilled Shojo. I also see it as "true" - true emotions, in situations stripped of all extraneous detail.

Shojo wasn't always like that, though. I love going to Dr. Weeaboo's panels at Anime Boston. For a couple of years she did a series of panels, starting with "Shojo of the 1950s" and going by decade through to the 1970's. Until the late 70s, shojo wasn't internal stories about personal emotions. Recently I read A,A', a sci-fi shojo story by Moto Hagio that's out of print. I'm a sucker for sci-fi, of course, but I found the less-internal, older format of shojo more appealing.

And like I said in the review, I love Boys Over Blossoms. Certainly we feel Makino's frustration, but the series doesn't dwell so much on her internal state, you know?
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
There are always going to be people who "get" Sawako and people who don't "get" her, and the ones who do get her will be the ones enjoying Kimi ni Todoke the most. Oh, it most certainly helps that Kazehaya is adorable, and Chizu and Ayane are two of the most fleshed out "best friend" characters I've seen in a long time, but if I didn't relate to Sawako on a personal level, I don't think I would have enjoyed the series nearly as much as I did. I love it, but I do understand why other people don't.
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Maize Hughes - yes, NISA does bring out non-premium versions of its releases after a certain time period: normally when the premium editions have sold out at the wholesale level.

According to a NISA representative I spoke with releasing a non-premium version of a show is not guaranteed. If the premium version doesn't sell well enough they won't produce a non-premium one. Just something to keep in mind. To me it's worth the extra cost to make sure I get a show I really want.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@ Maize Hughes - yes, NISA does bring out non-premium versions of its releases after a certain time period: normally when the premium editions have sold out at the wholesale level.

According to a NISA representative I spoke with releasing a non-premium version of a show is not guaranteed. If the premium version doesn't sell well enough they won't produce a non-premium one. Just something to keep in mind. To me it's worth the extra cost to make sure I get a show I really want.

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I confess I assumed that non-premium editions were guaranteed so it is good to know that is not necessarily the case. If I'm not mistaken, NISA has released non-premium editions of the first five shows it has released: Toradora!, Pandora Hearts, Our Home's Fox Deity, Persona: Trinity Soul and Wagnaria!!. It will be interesting to see if any of its future titles don't get the non-premium treatment.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy Yu Yu Hakusho, but I have never been a fan of "best of" shows. If all the fights highlighted are already seen in the show, than what's the point? Good review on the Eizou Hakusho. I will be sticking with the season sets, and skipping Eizou Hakusho.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:

I also adored Chizu and Ayane - their (often over-)protectiveness of Sawako was endearing as they learned how to cope with and encourage this socially-inept, self-conscious and unconfident girl.

I feel that my previous post may have been a little too negative. You just reminded me one of the strongest points of KnT, Ayane and Chizu. I really felt that the series shined the most when the two of them were involved, whether the episode focused on them specifically or whether they were there to help Sawako. Season 2 (starts off with the "obligatory chocolates" episodes I think), which streamed last spring I think, just kind of let me down. I felt that Kazehaya and Sawako regressed back to their relationship in early Season 1. The first 25 episodes were very promising however.

tcdelaney wrote:

Them: "I didn't talk to you because I thought you didn't like me."
Me: "No - I didn't know how to communicate with people".

^this, is a good lol.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
Redline is nothing if not accessible. Compare that to another technically accomplished anime feature, Akira. Although it is well-loved, Akira tried to adapt too much (unfinished?) manga. It's hard to follow, and so violent as to completely isolate some viewers. Redline has a little nudity, but you can loan it out to far more friends and relatives than Akira.

In this case, it would appear that by being more accessible Redline is also conveniently less "foreign". This is might make lending easier, but if people are so sensitive that they shut down the minute any combination of nipples and plasma occur on screen, well, I sincerely doubt they have the presence of mind to appreciate something like Redline any more than they would Transformers II. What's the point of making Fois Gras appetizing for people who want cheeseburgers?
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Yeah... Pass. I loved Fruits Basket, Boys Over Flowers and His and Hers Circumstances, but if KnT is as bad as Peach Boy, I'll pass.

I said it wasn't as good as Peach Girl.

I know. You liked Peach Boy more, I however, did not like Peach Boy compared to the others. Thus, if KnT is/was worse than Peach Boy, I most certainly won't care for KnT. I wasn't trying to misquote you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5