• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Whistling in the Dark

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Japanese homosexuals don't have access to healthcare? Really? I've never heard that. As for otaku voting for Taro Aso, sure, maybe a few did, but I'd imagine most otaku and Japanese young people don't really vote. Generalizing, much?

You're not the only one that find that ridiculous too. I call BS on that too because Japan has one of the best healthcare around the world, their healthcare even surpass USA's healthcare system. I remember listening on NPR that the cost of healthcare in Japan is low (there is a drawback though, it's hard for me to understand because I'm not a expert on healthcare system). This one got my attention:

NPR wrote:
Japanese insurers are a lot more accommodating than their American counterparts. For one thing, they can't deny a claim. And they have to cover everybody.

Even an applicant with heart disease can't be turned down, says Ikegami, the professor. "That is forbidden."

There was however 2 incidents (which I know, are there any more??) where patient get rejected by hospitals in Japan. One involved a pregnant women in her 30's, and a man dies after being rejected from hospital 14 times. But a homosexuals being rejected from healthcare, really?? I'm going to need a news article validating this to see if this is true, because I never heard of this before, and yes I do read news from Japan.

I went ahead and took out the bit that suggested that homosexuals can't get health care - I don't think that's what he was trying to say, anyway. But was misleadingly phrased, so apologies for that.

The issue comes in when you don't have legal civil unions with full health care benefits for spouses - not only can your same-sex partner not join your health care plan, you can't visit them in the hospital or legally deal with their affairs otherwise, etcetera. Same as it is everywhere else that doesn't recognize same-sex marriages as legal.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Derailing the LGBT in japan debate

When the Kindaichi case files manga went under I gathered some friends and started translating the (at the time) 11 year old anime and the manga that tokyopop had not done. what did other people do, because I know I am not the only one wishing that publishers would start releasing XXXX again
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Japanese homosexuals don't have access to healthcare? Really? I've never heard that. As for otaku voting for Taro Aso, sure, maybe a few did, but I'd imagine most otaku and Japanese young people don't really vote. Generalizing, much?

You're not the only one that find that ridiculous too. I call BS on that too because Japan has one of the best healthcare around the world, their healthcare even surpass USA's healthcare system. I remember listening on NPR that the cost of healthcare in Japan is low (there is a drawback though, it's hard for me to understand because I'm not a expert on healthcare system). This one got my attention:

NPR wrote:
Japanese insurers are a lot more accommodating than their American counterparts. For one thing, they can't deny a claim. And they have to cover everybody.

Even an applicant with heart disease can't be turned down, says Ikegami, the professor. "That is forbidden."

There was however 2 incidents (which I know, are there any more??) where patient get rejected by hospitals in Japan. One involved a pregnant women in her 30's, and a man dies after being rejected from hospital 14 times. But a homosexuals being rejected from healthcare, really?? I'm going to need a news article validating this to see if this is true, because I never heard of this before, and yes I do read news from Japan.

I went ahead and took out the bit that suggested that homosexuals can't get health care - I don't think that's what he was trying to say, anyway. But was misleadingly phrased, so apologies for that.

Thanks Zac, I wish I would've came on this forum a bit earlier to explain about Japan's healthcare system. But hey, better to do it now then never. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't get it. Wouldn't newtime fans be more impressed by Redline than older ones? I would assume most people start off with style-over-substance action-oriented anime anyway, at least once they realize there's more to anime than the shows left on [adult swim] or Naruto/Yugioh/Pokemon.

I don't know there has been a trend toward substance over style for a while now with American fans. Remember most American fans have grown up with American animations in which the animations is (usually) good, but the story is (almost always) lacking. Most are attracted to anime because it puts the emphases on the story and characters, so a movie like Redline which has the emphases on animation not story isn't going to impress newer anime fans as much. I think whether or not you like Redline really depends on if you are just an anime fan, or if you are a fan of animation in general.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
How are homosexuals in Japan denied "rights as human beings"? A quick google search has not provided a terribly large number of examples.

Marriage is generally considered a human right...also, if you're unmarried in Japan, you cannot adopt.

Look, if you want a proper bigotry parallel to the reproductive argument, take the minister who declared that the solution to Japan's lowering birth rate was to get Japanese women to go back to popping out babies instead of being all selfish and only having as many children as they can afford. Because that's a woman's job, you know.

And speaking of Redline, hey Rightstuf, when is my order coming in? If it truly ran through its printing already, just let me know the bad news!

Edit: Wait, never mind, just got a note that it shipped! Awesome. I mean, I won't be able to watch it any time soon since I had to ship it to my parents' house, but still. My first totally blind-buy in ages.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:12 pm Reply with quote
i should've clarified a bit more in that i was talking SPECIFICALLY about civil unions in all of my ranting.

but the other thing, the most IMPORTANT thing in my opinion, is that Japanese culture doesn't have any sort of law or safeguard against discrimination - be it in the workplace, housing, education, whatever. at least here in the West you can sue if you have the misfortune of losing or job or getting a housing loan denied simply because of your sexual orientation; not so in Japan. the reported cases of this happening are very few, because most LGBT folks in Japan typically are not open about their sexuality in any way.

and also, the suggestion that i am defending gay rights in Japan because I HATE JAPAN BRLRLUGHL is just beyond ludicrous. because i, OF COURSE, am allowed to write for Anime News Network as a rampant, hostile Japanophobe. every anime i watch and every Japanese video game i play is done through clenched teeth and vicious stares; angry sweat pouring from my brow as i burn inside with turmoil against Japan.

jeez.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh anime clubs. I've been on a three year long search for one that I "fit" into. I'm not so much into the whole "lets pop in this DVD and make our own commentary track" that seems to be the main focus of many clubs (around here, at least). I want to converse with fellow fans about voice actors, scriptwriters, directors, animation studios, foreign and domestic industry news, etc. What I might find value in, another fan wouldn't even give the time of day. Same can be said about myself. I'm not into card games, not into cosplay, and a bunch of those other anime related things I see going on frequently at club events. There are just so many different aspects of fandom all f*cked into this one medium it makes it EXTREMELY hard to find just one person you click with, let alone a group of 20 or so people Sad

I wish you luck man. Hopefully your town has a larger variety of get-togethers than mine.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
What Zac and his guest on ANNCast were talking about was this sort of hypothetical scenario where we, as a culture, as a global culture, might at some point be evolved enough to look at homosexual relationships in our entertainment and just think of it as normal. Without either dismissing it as "unnatural" or writing it off as "fanservice." A time, hopefully within our lifetime, when same-sex relationships could be casually inserted into all forms of our entertainment without incident or sensationalism.

Emphasis on hypothetical; simply because the probability of a pandemic of such an ethos is particularly low. Same-sex relationships, while a product of "natural" causes, are viewed with contempt and seen as taboo in many cultures for understandable reasons: they don't bear offspring, and many believe that it's an attempt to defy their culture's sexual norm (not saying it's right or wrong). I do, however, think that people will ultimately become desensitized to the sight of such unions, so long as the media continues to incorporate those relationships into movies, prime time TV, etc.

vashfanatic wrote:
Marriage is generally considered a human right

Not quite. "Human rights", in a broad sense, are universally recognized natural and legal rights; marriage isn't one of them. Marriage (and particularly same-sex marriage) is a "Civil right" -- hence, it isn't applicable on a global scale. With that being said, a government or regime doesn't really feel morally obligated to acknowledge said marriages. So, you should probably substitute occasionally for "generally".

Quote:
Look, if you want a proper bigotry parallel to the reproductive argument, take the minister who declared that the solution to Japan's lowering birth rate was to get Japanese women to go back to popping out babies instead of being all selfish and only having as many children as they can afford. Because that's a woman's job, you know.

Ignoring the sarcasm, um, yeah, that's pretty much accurate! That is the whole entire intrinsic purpose of sexual reproduction; so that offspring can inherit those genes and propagate them in succeeding generations. Nothing more. Many Japanese women opting to not have children AT ALL. I've read before that no population, civilization or culture with a fertility rate of 1.9 has ever reversed that loss of population and it continues to spiral downward. Japan has a fertility rate of 1.27, and an accelerating increase of an aged segment of the population (65 and above). The country will experience a 25% decrease within the next 38 years, and an 18% decrease in its workforce within the next 18 years. That not only decreases the nation's productivity, lowering its GDP, it also increases the potential of the retirement age being pushed up to 77 in a country with an already detrimental work environment -- especially in the corporate setting -- that's led to a phenomenon such as 過労死 or Karōshi. I think the nation has the ethical right to explore whatever effective methods it can to spur a rising birth rate, as to ward off the real prospect of its own demise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

As far as anime clubs go, I could honestly see them still existing, if not for anything but the real world, face-to-face social interaction benefits of them. And, for anime fans who strongly adhere to the ethics of the legality aspect of it, and watch awesome and/or massively popular titles for free, like Redline and Puella Magi Madoka Magica, that aren't available for legal stream, when they're released.

Anime clubs could do more than just watch the shows. They could go to conventions together (local or non-local), trade titles amongst each other (for both borrowing and permanent possession), form a book club of a sort and discuss various manga/graphic novels, etc. It could still work.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Aaaahhhh... Tsubasa. I'm not going to harp on the fans who like the anime's route, but what they ended up doing with the anime broke consistency, not only with the manga, but itself as well. To me, the final few episodes that branched from the manga felt nice and emotional enough. I didn't care much that they branched off from the manga, but... when I bought the DVD's and watched it again, I just kept noticing some of the things that erked me, thanks in part to those final episodes. The first season stays pretty consistent, at least.

But then, the OVA/OAD's were NOT made for fans of the anime. They were made for fans of the manga version, who could understand everything going on. Considering that two different companies animated the TV-broadcasted anime and the OVA/OAD's, it makes sense. Sure, the "inconsistency" from the OVA's confused the fans who didn't know the difference (more so in the West than in the East, due to the nature of their releases). But anyone who is upset about it shouldn't blame the creators so much for that. =P
Also, from what I remember, neither the OVA's or OAD's were rushed, either. CLAMP directed them to condense, but capture everything they wanted you to get from the manga, as well as expand upon the emotions they couldn't do without animation and voice acting, as well as the atmosphere you get from the passage of time in anime.

Regardless, I loved it, and it's only that inconsistency that hurt my opinion of the anime, even if I don't care much for the animation of the TV broadcasted anime...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Not quite. "Human rights", in a broad sense, are universally recognized natural and legal rights; marriage isn't one of them. Marriage (and particularly same-sex marriage) is a "Civil right" -- hence, it isn't applicable on a global scale. With that being said, a government or regime doesn't really feel morally obligated to acknowledge said marriages. So, you should probably substitute occasionally for "generally".

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml#a16

Quote:
Ignoring the sarcasm, um, yeah, that's pretty much accurate! That is the whole entire intrinsic purpose of sexual reproduction; so that offspring can inherit those genes and propagate them in succeeding generations. Nothing more. Many Japanese women opting to not have children AT ALL. I've read before that no population, civilization or culture with a fertility rate of 1.9 has ever reversed that loss of population and it continues to spiral downward. Japan has a fertility rate of 1.27, and an accelerating increase of an aged segment of the population (65 and above). The country will experience a 25% decrease within the next 38 years, and an 18% decrease in its workforce within the next 18 years. That not only decreases the nation's productivity, lowering its GDP, it also increases the potential of the retirement age being pushed up to 77 in a country with an already detrimental work environment -- especially in the corporate setting -- that's led to a phenomenon such as 過労死 or Karōshi. I think the nation has the ethical right to explore whatever effective methods it can to spur a rising birth rate, as to ward off the real prospect of its own demise.

Maybe I needed to be clear on what the man's actual quote was:
Quote:
"The number of women aged between 15 and 50 is fixed. Because the number of birth-giving machines and devices is fixed, all we can ask for is for them to do their best per head, although it may not be so appropriate to call them machines."

So yeah. His "ethical right," my ass.

Also, god forbid they start courting immigrants or something. Nope, gotta make those breeders breed.

And really, "the intrinsic purpose of sexual reproduction"? Didn't we have this stupid argument already on the forum at last week's podcast? If we're getting into this again, I'm tapping out.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Somehow I knew you'd reference the UDHR. Call me psychic. While that declaration covers states with membership to the United Nations (which is most, except China, Kosovo, The Vatican and I think a few others), many have documents that contradict it and its definition and specifics related to human rights (i.e. many Muslim nations following the Cairo Declaration on Human Rights in Islam because it's consistent with their religious doctrines, and while marriage is a right, there are strict laws, such as no extra-religious unions ). Meaning: it isn't completely universally recognized.

Also, it's interesting, because that article defines marriage clearly as a union between male and female. So, it's hard to argue for it as a human right, especially using declarations like this.

Quote:
Maybe I needed to be clear on what the man's actual quote was:
Quote:
"The number of women aged between 15 and 50 is fixed. Because the number of birth-giving machines and devices is fixed, all we can ask for is for them to do their best per head, although it may not be so appropriate to call them machines."

So yeah. His "ethical right," my ass.

What's so invalid about that? There's a fairly-stagnant number of highly fertile women in his society, with a declining birth rate. He wants these women to perform the action that nature intended them to -- which is produce children. I don't see the problem. If you're suggesting that his usage of the word "machine" was improper or unethical, I truly don't see the point, because, in a sense, it's true. The body of a living organism is similar to a highly complex machine. Philosopher René Descartes asserted that animals were automata.

Quote:
Also, god forbid they start courting immigrants or something. Nope, gotta make those breeders breed.

Well, that's an entirely different subject, for another thread. To contend against it properly, I'd have to go into dysgenics, "genetic interests", and cite Richard Lynn, Frank Salter, Tatu Vanhenen, etc. I won't derail the thread... this time.

Quote:
And really, "the intrinsic purpose of sexual reproduction"? Didn't we have this stupid argument already on the forum at last week's podcast? If we're getting into this again, I'm tapping out.

It was brought up and debated, slightly. (Not by you and I, though) That doesn't negate the validity of the statement. But, no, we won't get into that if you choose not to -- even if it is tied to the Answerman question and answer.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
Being an Otaku says more about your character than it does about your biology.
However biology does have some influence over what your character could and can be, in most cases. especially the way one's brain wires up instinctually from conception to death. It's all in the denim. Wink
Optitron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Miguel wrote:
To be fairly honest, [Tsubasa Chronicle] is arguably one of my favourite anime, and my favourite manga, as well as their spinoffs/crossovers (xxxHOLiC, Card Captor Sakura).

You meant Tsubasa Chronicle's parent series, not spinoff, when you mentioned Card Captor Sakura, right? I'm assuming you did since the next line in your response implies that Sakura and Syaoran are originally from Card Captor Sakura. I just want to ensure that credit is given where it's due, since Card Captor Sakura was easily of a high enough caliber to inspire something like Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, but if the order of their release were reversed, I doubt Tsubasa would have garnered enough popularity to warrant a spinoff.

I considered answering that question about cancelled series with Tsubasa Chronicle, but did not for two reasons. The first is that I only wanted more OVAs, not a continuation of the series. This is beacuse to me, the series felt like a train wreck, at least compared to the manga. I only watched the series once, so I can't give specific examples, but from what I remember the pacing was terrible, the action was too toned down, and *grrrrrrr* so many damn flashbacks to stuff I'd already seen in the anime. For me, the greatest tragedy is the soundtrack. Before I even saw a single episode of the series (I was waiting for the english release) I had already purchased most of the "Future Soundscape" soundtracks used in the show. I hadn't heard of Yuki Kajiura from any of her previous works, but I certainly knew the name after listening to these incredible soundtracks. This led me to believe that I would at least be able to enjoy the music during the series, if nothing else. However, as I learned from this series, it is possible to screw up a beautiful soundtrack if you DON'T KNOW WHEN AND HOW TO USE THE MUSIC!!! Again, I can't reference specific examples, but I remember multiple times where I would stop watching an episode midway through because the music was in such sharp contrast to what was going on or it just wouldn't freaking shut up during a dramatic scene that didn't need music to drive it forward or... *sigh* sorry for the rant, but I really liked the manga which gave me high hopes for the series and obviously those hopes were not met.

And that (kinda) leads into my other reason for not choosing to write in about my disappointment that this series (or rather the OVAs) was(were) not continued, and its a reason that applied to every series I could think of for this topic. Simply put, Tsubasa Chronicle had an ending. It just wasn't in the anime. The manga was completed, and though I'm still not sure whether it was supposed to be a happy ending or a setup for the characters to continue to appear in future CLAMP works forever after, my need for an ending was sated and I no longer needed for the anime series to continue. The same is true for the Ranma 1/2 anime (I've heard lots of people say the manga's ending wasn't conclusive enough either, but for an episodic comedy that was more about the journey than the destination I thought the end fit perfectly) and the X manga (If all I had for an ending to this series was Rintaro's beautiful nightmare of a movie I'd still be hoping that CLAMP would eventually get around to finishing it, but since I also got the satisfying ending of the TV series I don't care whether they ever get back to it or not). In the end, the only unfinished series I could think of that really left me disappointed were not anime/manga-related (thanks for making me dredge up the painful memory that is the end of Sonic the Hedgehog SatAM again Answerman, not to mention the sercet ending from Megaman ZX: Advent).
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Also, god forbid they start courting immigrants or something.

Actually afaik that is one of the things they're trying, among others.
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The issue comes in when you don't have legal civil unions with full health care benefits for spouses - not only can your same-sex partner not join your health care plan, you can't visit them in the hospital or legally deal with their affairs otherwise, etcetera. Same as it is everywhere else that doesn't recognize same-sex marriages as legal.

Quote:
the most IMPORTANT thing in my opinion, is that Japanese culture doesn't have any sort of law or safeguard against discrimination - be it in the workplace, housing, education, whatever. at least here in the West you can sue if you have the misfortune of losing or job or getting a housing loan denied simply because of your sexual orientation; not so in Japan. the reported cases of this happening are very few, because most LGBT folks in Japan typically are not open about their sexuality in any way.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't thinking of not legally recognizing same-sex unions as a violation of 'human rights', because marriage is a cultural construct that reflects societal values. As long as a person is free to have a relationship and live with who they want without fear of legal harassment (or legal protection from harassment in general), I assumed that their rights were protected, even if they faced bigotry and discrimination from society.

Apparently the UN disagrees, and I assume they have their reasons. It's something I need to look into further. I'm not sure

HOWEVER, the lack of legal protection in Japan against harassment certainly IS violation of human rights.

Thanks for indulging me, my question has been answered and I don't see any reason to go any further down this rabbit hole. And I'm not even going to touch 504NOSON2's arguments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4