• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Chrismukkah Givin'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
Everywhere I turn it's like "WATCH Le Chevalier D'Eon!! OR DIE A PAINFUL LESS FUFILLED LIFE!!" (Or... not.) But I think this is the final nail in the coffin (why do I choose such wierd analogies when I'm jet-lagged, why?) for me to go out and watch the darn show, hopefully it will be all worth all the hype (dispite being underrated? O__o)

Yeah, I'm getting close to buying the show myself, since I keep hearing good things about it.

Oh, and I resent the implications of the Ouran blurb that the show is for girls only. As an Ouran-loving dude, I find these to be outrageous (just kidding Razz, but seriously the show is hilarious).
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Quote:
You have a heart of gold, but your day job is being the slightly deranged homeless guy I used to see lurking around South Station.

Didn't know you were from Boston, Bamboo. Was it just for school?

Oh Pretty Sammy. Why would they do that.

Hey hey hey, Sasami -Mahou Shojou Club- is not Pretty Sammy. Both the OVA and TV show are much better than Sasami.

Though I think Sasami is kind of getting a bum rap here. I mean c'mon, Blood+ is Blood+. And I doubt the Negima anime is any better.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If only Negima had very little fanservice or no fanservice at all, the series would actually be much better. I watched two volumes of the orginal Negima, but just couldn't get into the series. The English dub was fantastic, Greg Ayres really did a good job.

The fanservice is what made me stop watching the show and stopped buying the manga. Though the fanservice in the manga was ten times worse.

But the manga itself is ten times better. (Or more.)

If anyone gave me Shinchan, I'd probably just burn it without even opening the box.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
If only Negima had very little fanservice or no fanservice at all, the series would actually be much better. I watched two volumes of the orginal Negima, but just couldn't get into the series. The English dub was fantastic, Greg Ayres really did a good job.

The fanservice is what made me stop watching the show and stopped buying the manga. Though the fanservice in the manga was ten times worse.

So, as the story goes, enough people (including Ken Akamatsu(sp), by rumor) disliked the anime version of Negima! so much that the rights to the IP got relicensed to another company that remade the series from the beginning. That version is called Negima!? and releases in R1 in mid-January. From what I hear, it is more about the comedy and plot and less about showing girls naked.

In fairness to the manga, as it goes along the really creepy fanservice begins to subside and the very neat plotlines become more prevalent. The fanservice never goes away, but it does go down by quite a bit--with the occasional unfortunate revival here and there (it is written by Ken Akamatsu, after all). Wink
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
No recommendation for the guy who can't stop obsessing over giant robots?
newborntoanime

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
No recommendation for the guy who can't stop obsessing over giant robots?
I recommend Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion volumes 1 and 2! Big robots, plenty of action, and occasional fanservice. Smile
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

So, as the story goes, enough people (including Ken Akamatsu(sp), by rumor) disliked the anime version of Negima! so much that the rights to the IP got relicensed to another company that remade the series from the beginning. That version is called Negima!? and releases in R1 in mid-January. From what I hear, it is more about the comedy and plot and less about showing girls naked.

In fairness to the manga, as it goes along the really creepy fanservice begins to subside and the very neat plotlines become more prevalent. The fanservice never goes away, but it does go down by quite a bit--with the occasional unfortunate revival here and there (it is written by Ken Akamatsu, after all). ;)

If Negima!? really doesn't have as much fanservice as the manga or original series, I might check this series out. In all fairness,when I initially started buying Negima (the manga) four years ago, I knew the series would have the same fanservice Love Hina and A.L. Love you had.

The manga in itself was well made, but the fanservice made me eventually lose all interest and quit reading the series all together. If Negima!? doesn't have as much fanservice or hopefully very little, I'll check the series out when Negima!? is licensed.

[/i]
legoland12342

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I must say (I don't really have to, but I will anyway), Negima! was great if you liked that sort of thing, but if you wanted something more along the lines of a single, straight plotline, then your more or less out of luck. I finished it, but that was because it felt really fast.

I think that I will also check out Negima!? whenever it gets released over here. At least, it sounds more enjoyable than Negima!

And for the record, I like my neckbeard.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Uh oh...while I own some of the good series on the list, I didn't get them for anyone else. Instead, someone is going to be getting Kamichu! Hopefully, I haven't ruined Christmas.
Reading the review of Chevalier is getting me a bit antsy to get my copy of it in the mail, especially at the mention of zombies. There's been so much good word-of-mouth about it, and the trailer for it looked pretty good, and zombies are just the icing on the cake. Can't wait.
Someone was mentioning anime making for a pricey gift - always check out Rightstuf. They had their Christmas sale, and...well, I had promised myself and my boyfriend that I wouldn't buy any DVDs until February...thanks to that sale, I am now a dishonourable person. A dishonourable person who is now 6 full series (with artboxes!) richer. It was worth it.

Edit: Negima! and Peachgirl are two of the series included in the sale, btw.
Anath_19

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
irishninja wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

So, as the story goes, enough people (including Ken Akamatsu(sp), by rumor) disliked the anime version of Negima! so much that the rights to the IP got relicensed to another company that remade the series from the beginning. That version is called Negima!? and releases in R1 in mid-January. From what I hear, it is more about the comedy and plot and less about showing girls naked

If Negima!? really doesn't have as much fanservice as the manga or original series, I might check this series out. In all fairness,when I initially started buying Negima (the manga) four years ago, I knew the series would have the same fanservice Love Hina and A.L. Love you had.

The manga in itself was well made, but the fanservice made me eventually lose all interest and quit reading the series all together. If Negima!? doesn't have as much fanservice or hopefully very little, I'll check the series out when Negima!? is licensed.

Yeah, I personally think Negima!? is the only part of the Negima franchise worth watching/reading. It takes out most of the fanservice, and turns it into a comedy involving magic. It might have gotten rid of the fanservice entirely, but unless it's blatantly obvious, I'm oblivious to fanservice anyway, so I'm not sure.

Quote:
I think that I will also check out Negima!? whenever it gets released over here. At least, it sounds more enjoyable than Negima!

The first half of it was released at the beginning of this month by Funi, and the second half is being released at the end of March.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
legoland12342 wrote:
I must say (I don't really have to, but I will anyway), Negima! was great if you liked that sort of thing, but if you wanted something more along the lines of a single, straight plotline, then your more or less out of luck. I finished it, but that was because it felt really fast.

I must say, no, no it isn't. The characters and individual episode plots are shallow, and then the series fails to make up for the shallowness with either attractive visuals, well-choreographed fights, or pleasing humor (the dub helps a little in the final complaint).
Isikari

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote
What's with the beard hate? Make fun of your facial hair, shave that neckbeard? Us folks with beards are jolly! Jolly I say! The very embodiment of Christmas (Hanukkah as well, go and find a Rabbi without a beard, go on!).

Great gift review, I enjoyed the Sant-o-meter a lot!
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Uh oh...while I own some of the good series on the list, I didn't get them for anyone else. Instead, someone is going to be getting Kamichu! Hopefully, I haven't ruined Christmas.

You couldn't have chosen wiser, in my opinion. Kamichu! is a terrific series with a definite Miyazaki style, and a terrific dub, if you are into that.

Quark wrote:
Someone was mentioning anime making for a pricey gift - always check out Rightstuf. They had their Christmas sale, and...well, I had promised myself and my boyfriend that I wouldn't buy any DVDs until February...thanks to that sale, I am now a dishonourable person. A dishonourable person who is now 6 full series (with artboxes!) richer. It was worth it.

Tell me about it! I keep telling myself I am cutting back, then Right Stuf runs another unbelievably awesome sale, leaving my wallet considerably lighter!
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:

Well, Negima!? isn't really about the plot at all, it's about some other entirely different plot. It's okay, but I prefer things being more faithful to the manga.

That said, I seem to be able to just ignore the fanservice and concentrate on the story.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Shinchan made the list, BOOSH! Surprised
Is "BOOSH!" a cry of joy, or one of dread? Because it sounds similar to "Busch," as in "that's Busch league," But I think this Evil or Very Mad smiley would suit that meaning better. Smile

It's more of an exclamation point. Joy, if I had to choose.

Not sure how I feel about Negima coming out with a plot. Nothing ruinless mindless fare faster than a plot, particularly if it ends up not being a good one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3