• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Headmasters wasn't given an American dub. It's completely irrelevant, given the dubbers in question have long been known to be complete crap.

EDIT: Also, Sailor Moon was Dic and Cardcaptors was Nelvana. At least do some research!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I like anime. A great dub is always welcome, but if a great series is released and is subbed only, I am still happy. That being said, I want to know why some people complained about the Kurokami BD release. It had a great dub IMO but did not come with the Japanese voice track.

If any of the dub "purists" were pissed at Bandai for the Kurokami BD release, you are a bunch of hypocrites.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I want to know why some people complained about the Kurokami BD release. It had a great dub IMO but did not come with the Japanese voice track.

That IS why people complained.
erinrin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I said I would only buy anime with an english dub because it seemed worth my money, but come on this is Anohana! Day one. I'm gonna order it right when it's available.
I usually watch subs when it's only available in that or when it's a new anime coming out weekly. Dubs are not that bad.
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
NISA will be out of business by year's end.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
@ Kit-Tsukasa:

Okay, ya know what? I was going to reply to that other post you sent a couple of pages ago. Then I saw you arguing what shows had good dubs and what ones had bad dubs as a handful of the list of examples you can think of from the top of your head and I wanted to reply to that. However, now I rerally just want to ask a few questions on what I hope would clear something up for me about where you're coming from.

What exact do you honestly think is the whole point in making an english dub, meaning why do you think any companies make any trouble adding a dub into a show they license? What are the principles in creating an english dub? What specifically are ALL the requirements any dub should aim for and practice doing in order to be considered "good quality" in this day and age?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:

And you will be happy that another North American anime distributor would have given up? I just hope you are ready to pay $400 for Japanese import anime when all North American distributors are gone.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
erinrin wrote:
I said I would only buy anime with an english dub because it seemed worth my money, but come on this is Anohana! Day one. I'm gonna order it right when it's available.
I usually watch subs when it's only available in that or when it's a new anime coming out weekly. Dubs are not that bad.

It's already up for pre-oder at the Rightstuf.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm really disappointed. Isn't anybody going to barge in here in a huff and bitch about the fact that AnoHana has an English translated title (The Flower We Saw That Day)??? I mean, I remember one poster who said he refused to buy NISA's Wagnaria! release because the title had changed from Working! No, I'm not making that up.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm really disappointed. Isn't anybody going to barge in here in a huff and bitch about the fact that AnoHana has an English translated title (The Flower We Saw That Day)??? I mean, I remember one poster who said he refused to buy NISA's Wagnaria! release because the title had changed from Working! No, I'm not making that up.

I suppose NIS screwed up the title, but it is not a big deal. The set looks great. I will have to think how to store the set in my shelf (it is bigger than regular DVD box) when it arrives to my house.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

No, not really. All NIS did was cut the first half of the sentence and made it shorter, not re-translate it totally. They were good to keep the show's japanese abbreviation (AnoHana), so it's really no big deal. I'm perfectly fine with it.

Also, the only reason NIS changed Working's title was because the title was under copyright issues, and giving it exclamation marks wasn't exactly going to help it get more noticed. Plus Wagnaria itself is the name of the restaurant they work at, so it's not entirely bad.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
Polycell wrote:
If you dislike the price, wait until the standard edition becomes available. If you want anime quickly, you'd best be prepared to pay the price.

Thank you I will do so. I hope they have a standard edition in the works. If they say that this is not selling.. they might not. I'll hope for that standard edition.

The limited edition will be available from NISA's store for a 20% discount from the $69.99 MSRP. $56. The regular edition, dunno how they would do this because of the combo, would be 25% cheaper than the limited at an MSRP of ~$52.50, and have a store discount of 20%, making it around $42. $14 savings.

Want me to calculate RightStuf's savings? NISA limited sets get a 26% discount of off MSRP. It's available right now for $52. The regular sets get a 34% discount off of MSRP. I'm guessing it would be available for around $35. $17 savings.

It's up to you man. If it ever happens you will be on the late train by a year. Honestly, I don't think it's worth the wait just to save a few bucks.
Altacia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
Polycell wrote:
If you dislike the price, wait until the standard edition becomes available. If you want anime quickly, you'd best be prepared to pay the price.

Thank you I will do so. I hope they have a standard edition in the works. If they say that this is not selling.. they might not. I'll hope for that standard edition.

Question because I am too lazy to look it up myself.

Does NISA normally even give Anime a "Standard Edition" release?

Just noticed they also have Natsume, Forgot about that... All my money looks to be going to NISA for the next year. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:

Or not. Not having a dub doesn't dissuade people from dropping real money on a product. Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai proved that to the extreme example of paying the premium for a dubless release. 60-70 dollars for a whole show is still far less than what any Japanese otaku will slam down to own all of the BDs, which a normally that price per disc. I think dubbing being an expected part of an American release is on the way out. It's nice to have a dub, but saying you'll boycott a release because of it doesn't help anyone, especially not the Japanese producers.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
... this really isn't that bad of a deal, I'm not sure if any extras are gonna be there or not, but if you include the artbook, plus however much you like the show, its not really that bad. It sucks it dosn't have a dub considering people are learning how to act better, but aw well, maybe the next mega-hit. I'm still in no rush to get it, I'll probably ask for a gift card for christmas or something to get it, you know something like that, but the show for me is just a tear bomb and I have too LONG of a list of other stuff I'm trying to get to make way for a tearbomb.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12