• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America to Release Oreimo, Garden of Sinners on DVD

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
LordByron227 wrote:
Bloody hell, its DVD only eh....

Although if it sold out in Japan already, whats the "reverse importation" fear here.

Totally agree. KnK is sold out over there. They should give us another BD release.

Either way holding out for another BD release of KnK

Maybe Aniplex will repress a few more copies of the original KnK BD release, and sell them at the same price, since there's still a market for it (There's no connection to KnK, but that happened with Strike Witches BD, IIRC). They might even send a few more over here for those who missed out on the first release.

Perhaps that's why they haven't decided to do a cheap BD release. Who can really say? It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, happens...
superdry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
superdry wrote:
He/she gave a possible reason why R1 was not given a reasonably priced BD version. Whether you believe it's a reason that's true is another matter, but it is within the realm of possibility.

I have no idea what point you're making here.

I'm not arguing over whether his point is true. His point is completely meaningless even if it is true. Aniplex America is just a sub-branch of Aniplex. It is all essentially the same company. Hence, shifting the blame from one part of Aniplex to another really doesn't change anything.

You posed a question, he gave an answer that makes sense and you say it's an absurd reason. I just wanted to say the reason given was not absurd.

How does shifting the blame from one part of Aniplex to another not change anything? The simple fact is that it's highly likely it's the Japanese fault for why R1 never got and never will get a reasonably priced BD set.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
superdry wrote:
He/she gave a possible reason why R1 was not given a reasonably priced BD version. Whether you believe it's a reason that's true is another matter, but it is within the realm of possibility.

I have no idea what point you're making here.

I'm not arguing over whether his point is true. His point is completely meaningless even if it is true. Aniplex America is just a sub-branch of Aniplex. It is all essentially the same company. Hence, shifting the blame from one part of Aniplex to another really doesn't change anything.

You posed a question, he gave an answer that makes sense and you say it's an absurd reason. I just wanted to say the reason given was not absurd.

How does shifting the blame from one part of Aniplex to another not change anything? The simple fact is that it's highly likely it's the Japanese fault for why R1 never got and never will get a reasonably priced BD set.

The reason the answer is absurd is the fact that Shanafan is trying to deflect the blame for Aniplex by claiming that Aniplex USA and Aniplex Japan are two different companies when Aniplex USA is a small branch of Aniplex.

No one is blaming Aniplex USA for the decisions that Aniplex is making because we don't see the difference between Anbiplex USA and Aniplex Japan. This isn't like Atlus, where the USA branch has been here for decades and publishes games from all kinds of companies. Aniplex USA is simply here to release all of Aniplex's anime at high prices for people who want a Japanese style release.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
It's possible that there are very excellent and logical reasons that AoA cannot offer a BD re-release of GoS. But even if it does, that doesn't diminish my disappointment at not being offered one. The dilemma I will be faced with is, do I pick up the DVD release only to be confronted with a BD re-release some time later down the road? It's 2012 peeps - still have a hard time believing BD releases are not standard issue.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

Well that's just being pedantic. No, it is not "absurd" as an answer to the question: "Why didn't Aniplex USA release a cheap BD?" What I said though was that it is absurd to use that as an excuse to defend Aniplex from criticism which was the point at hand.

Quote:

Charred Knight already addressed this quite well. Whether it was Aniplex America's decision or Aniplex Japan, they're all part of the same company essentially. America/Japan...the distinction is meaningless here.

Blood- wrote:
The dilemma I will be faced with is, do I pick up the DVD release only to be confronted with a BD re-release some time later down the road?

Agreed. What's more, this whole situation creates an awful paradox for fans.

On the one hand, by supporting this DVD release I feel like I'm encouraging Aniplex to treat its (vaguely) budget conscious fans poorly and give us a second rate product. I don't want them to think that's okay and that we'll just happily take whatever we can get. At the same time though, if people don't support this release, Aniplex may well use that as an excuse to not bother releasing reasonably priced versions of shows at all. It is a bit of a no win situation.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
superdry wrote:

Charred Knight already addressed this quite well. Whether it was Aniplex America's decision or Aniplex Japan, they're all part of the same company essentially. America/Japan...the distinction is meaningless here.
The only way your statement would be right is if AUSA had any more influence over Aniplex than another licensee would, which I highly doubt - the price point the biggest thing AUSA has going for it in negotiations and if they don't pick one that pleases the Japanese rightsholders, they get screwed over just as badly as Funimation or Sentai would.

But they're a subsidiary, so clearly the president is soaking in a hot tub with the Japanese execs laughing about how badly he can get away with treating his customers.
Thana5102

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
KnK BD not really sold out in japan. You still can find at least 1 copy in big store like BIG CAMERA, YODOBASHI, SOFT MAP, ANIMATE (of course at full price maybe 10%off if you have member card)
lem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
superdry wrote:

Well that's just being pedantic. No, it is not "absurd" as an answer to the question: "Why didn't Aniplex USA release a cheap BD?" What I said though was that it is absurd to use that as an excuse to defend Aniplex from criticism which was the point at hand.

Quote:

Blood- wrote:
The dilemma I will be faced with is, do I pick up the DVD release only to be confronted with a BD re-release some time later down the road?

Agreed. What's more, this whole situation creates an awful paradox for fans.

On the one hand, by supporting this DVD release I feel like I'm encouraging Aniplex to treat its (vaguely) budget conscious fans poorly and give us a second rate product. I don't want them to think that's okay and that we'll just happily take whatever we can get. At the same time though, if people don't support this release, Aniplex may well use that as an excuse to not bother releasing reasonably priced versions of shows at all. It is a bit of a no win situation.

Oh man...that was good. The funniest butthurts are the ones where they try way too hard to be all super serious and formal.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The only way your statement would be right is if AUSA had any more influence over Aniplex than another licensee would, which I highly doubt

Given that Aniplex USA is actually a directly owned subsidiary of Aniplex Japan...I cannot even imagine why you would "highly doubt" this.

lem wrote:
Oh man...that was good. The funniest butthurts are the ones where they try way too hard to be all super serious and formal.

It is blatantly obvious what you're trying to do here and it won't work. You can throw as much shit around as you like. It won't hide the fact that you are unable to back up your opinions with reason.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Polycell wrote:
The only way your statement would be right is if AUSA had any more influence over Aniplex than another licensee would, which I highly doubt

Given that Aniplex USA is actually a directly owned subsidiary of Aniplex Japan...I cannot even imagine why you would "highly doubt" this.

lem wrote:

It is blatantly obvious what you're trying to do here and it won't work. You can throw as much shit around as you like. It won't hide the fact that you are unable to back up your opinions with reason.

you just don't get it do you? can't see the forest for the trees. You're oblivious to your hypocrisy. And you talk of backing up opinions with reason? you insult other forum users, get told to stop being an Ass even by a moderator no less, and yet you insist upon logic and reason. wow. get over yourself already.

what did I ever need to back up with reason? I haven't argued or debated anything. the shit Aniplex has to offer is expensive period. End of story. Deal with it and move on.

I've spent my time and energy making sure I'm able to afford the things that I enjoy. You won't ever see me posting "F*ck you Aniplex". Or worst, of which you haven't done, is the "No Dub = No Sale" All of that is just flat out whining and it's tiresome to see every time a release gets announced. How is suggesting moderation for it unreasonable?

If you don't like being called out for posting whiny BS, then perhaps next time you could ask yourself the question, "is this going to add to the discussion here? is this really necessary in a public forum?
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Playing the subjectivity card here really only favours me.

I agree that it favors you and I'm complaining with you.

Quote:

Whether you want to call that being forced is pretty meaningless.

It might be purely about semantics, but I wouldn't say that makes it meaningless to mention.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I agree that it favors you and I'm complaining with you.

Is this a typo? I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying you agree with my complaint?

Quote:
It might be purely about semantics, but I wouldn't say that makes it meaningless to mention.

Fair enough. What I meant was that it was meaningless in regards to my point. I don't begrudge you mentioning it.

lem wrote:
you just don't get it do you? can't see the forest for the trees. You're oblivious to your hypocrisy. And you talk of backing up opinions with reason? you insult other forum users, get told to stop being an Ass even by a moderator no less, and yet you insist upon logic and reason. wow. get over yourself already.

Ah, okay. So you're actually pissed over something else entirely that has nothing to do with this topic. That explains a lot.

Well...whatever. Think of me what you will. I'll waste no more time trying to have a discussion with you.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I just managed to come across this info late. So they're re-releasing a domestic boxset of Garden of Sinners. If that is the case then I will definitely be picking this up. The import version cost so much. Not that I couldn't afford it but to be honest I'm kind of done buying import anime at that price. I've already been burned when I bought shows YEARS ago on LD and DVD (that I thought would never come over) just to see them released some time later. Now with the release of BD I was going to buy Oblivion Island just for the book alone but since it's being released I ask myself is paying $100 for an import BD worth it when I have no intention of buying a BD player yet?

This is very good news too bad I didn't catch it when it was first announced. Wasn't until today when I checked on an order of Higurashi manga and the upcoming Umineko at TRSI that I came across it.
manicli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
Well unlike the people complaining I'm actually very happy that GoS is getting a re-release here in North America even if it's DVD & subbed. Because let's face it, they didn't have to. Aniplex could've choosen to completely protect the Japanese market and not even give us a chance but they did and I'm quite happy about it Smile Looking forward to buying it if it's under $200 dollars.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11