• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Water World

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3rm1n4t0r2

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
And as far as the roto making it look creepy. I have only vaguely looked into the manga, but its supposed to be a dark psychological drama if anything. If I recall this is the one where they try to commit double suicide at one point? So its not like I think it really contributes anything to the story either.

Rotoscoping creep factor is better off served with something like Paranoia Agent or something from Satoshi Kon.

So I don't think its fair for you to somehow acuse people of overlooking a good work due to the art style when there is a legitimate question as to why they changed something that really does not fit with the work in question. To me you are taking away from the story with this ridiculous art style not adding to it. The focus is taken away from the story.

I don't think she was accusing you or us friend, but I still think it'd be worth your while to listen to that advise if anime is something you're gonna wanna have in your life to come. Everything she said about the art style is true. If it had be done in a cleaner more-mainstream style, less stupid people would have dropped it, and many more would noobs would respect it for its intense aura and themes. But any anime fanatic can see that the art style really does match it! It adds to the unease you feel from the situations and thoughts going through characters minds more than you think. And if you watch the show to the end I'm sure you'll come to appreciate it (Aku no Hana) by then!

Last edited by T3rm1n4t0r2 on Wed May 08, 2013 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
T3rm1n4t0r2

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
1. Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)
2. Susei no Gargantia
3. Aku no Hana
4. To Aru Kageku no Railgun II
5. Chihayafuru 2
*6. Hataraku Maou-sama!
*7. Valvrave the Liberator
8. Ginga Kikoutai: Majestic Prince
9. Oreimo 2
10. Mushibugyou or maybe Hayate no Gokuto! Cuties

*I've read all the current Titan Manga, so I already know it will turn out to be the best anime xD I just hope it will have 24 episodes!
*I have high expectations for gargantia! And despite the people who get butthurt from something small like a little island beach and swimsuit, I realize that the episode posed as more than just a "stupid fanservice filler". It was meant to add to the characters and give the series a brighter feel then the author's other darker series. I'm sure the following episodes will be as good as the first two episodes and, by no means did episode 5 ruin the show AT ALL. It's not like swimsuits are completely contradictory to the layout and themes presented so far anyways xD I mean they live on boats for crying out loud.
*Most of the anime this season are pretty bland and flat (Such as Karneval, Arata Kangatari, or Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru, or Data A Live, or the worst anime this season: Zettai Boei Leviathan). However, the ones that really stand out are true jewels among the rubble! We really only have 3 or 4 that will be excellent shows, but those select few will be anime classics remembered. Attack on Titan is the only one I can mark now as amazing because Iv'e read up on the manga, but if you liked Mirai Nikki, well think of this as Mirai Nikki V. 5.
* I feel the need to add that Nyarko-san 2 is the first season over, but with even more recycled and unamusing humor slapped in non-stop, if even possible. Nothing about it makes it worth watching if you already saw the first one, and it's the definition of "Wasting Your Time". The characters/themes are the definitions of "Stereotypical Bullshit". This is the worst Slice of Life anime I can think of. But there are so many other better shows for you all to watch, even if they don't come from this season. Go find good series that you've missed from the past and watch 'em instead of useless slice-of-life garbage like Photo Kano, and especially Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W! Anyone who's seen at least 50 anime will probably understand what I'm saying here.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I am also seeing some people insinuating that episode 5 had some sort of plot development. Nothing worthwhile happened; it can be skipped by those uninterested in bikinis.

Wow, how's the future treating you?

Yeah. You guys can skip it if you want but I guarantee you are gonna be pretty disappointed in episode #13 when the show does its big reveal that the key to Ledo returning to space and defeating the Hideauze was in Ridget's cleavage all along.

I doubt it; after this most recent episode, I think the secrets of Ridget's cleavage have been laid bare for all to see.

HeeroTX wrote:
You have two sides fighting with battleships, and I think the incongruity comes in when you look at the second battle and we don't give a second thought to the fact that people are no doubt being killed as artillery slams into other boats. The general (not just in this anime) thought is that in a "war" scenario, "soldiers" die, that's their "job", but the tragedy comes in when "civilians" die. The juxtaposition created in episode two is that NONE of the "earthlings" are real "soldiers" as proven when Ledo kills the pirates.

While I understand that the brutal efficiency displayed would be off-putting and in-fact quite terrifying, the fact DOES remain that as the second attack shows, one method protects the Gargantians with ZERO loss to their own side, and the other method injures both sides. I agree that the immediate thought would be "how long till he turns on US", but that's a Watchmen-esque argument for another angle (and is in fact the angle that Ridget is worrying over), but that's not the larger consideration. The "bureaucrats" in the fleet command consider turning Ledo over to the pirates as "appeasement", which would only make THEM stronger.

Exactly. As a soldier, Ledo is the big fish in a small pond--or ocean, as it were. When it comes down to it, he can completely obliterate any opposing force on the planet single-handed (at least so far as we have seen). This fact raises the issue of proportionality of response, which Ledo had no grasp of until episode 3. Why regulate the use of force in combat? The answer is because it discourages unbridled violence, and conforms to the same sort of compassionate principles that I was referring to in my last post. This is, I think, the main reason that Gargantia's command staff restricted Ledo's operational conduct to non-lethal strikes during the night battle.

However, relegating Ledo to a supporting role also avoids the appearance--and fact--of over-dependency, which strikes me as wise in terms of maintaining an effective naval force on Gargantia's part, and keeping an unknown being out of the center of fleet affairs. In my opinion this is desirable for obvious reasons, not least of which is that they don't know how long he'll be around for. And yes, Ridget's questioning earlier in the afternoon shows there are other dimensions to consider; I'm glad you brought that up since I meant to refer to that example.

But I digress. As it happened, these limitations didn't ultimately impede Ledo's effectiveness much, since he still interceded and managed to look pretty cool in front of a big crowd while doing it. Yet he did so with relatively little violence, and sent the pirates running.

Anyway, I agree with you that it would be really good to delve deeper into these questions in the show. I still have hope to see that happen in the second half, though.
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
1) Gargantia - definitely my favorite of the new robot shows. May become my favorite of the new season.
2) Chihayafuru 2 - A bit bogged down in the tournament format now, but I'll survive. The most interesting part is Arata and the queen's attitudes toward the team tourney.
3) Flowers of Evil - can't deal with the uncanny valley of the rotoscoping. As Bamboo says, this is about the creepiest show imaginable. So creepy it's annoying in my case.
4) Space Brothers - continuing excellence.
5) Attack on Titan - didn't even bother to start, the premise didn't appeal. Since you rate it higher than Valvrave, I'll have to give it a chance.
6) Devil is a Parttimer: I prefer my urban fantasies a bit more subtle (Charles De Lint), have to keep thinking of this one as a comedy.
7) Muromi-san: I don't do shorts.
8) Valvrave: I do keep up with this one, but it's not on my hot list.
8)
9) Majestic Prince - crap! another Mecha show? I feel about robot shows the way Bamboo feels about spirit vessel girl shows.
10) RDG: I think this one will move up. Beautiful art, and Izumiko shows a bit more spine and character evolution than other recent "spirit vessels"
11) Devil Survivor - not on my viewing list.
12) Date A Live - It's a mecha harem show! Or something like that. Dropping.
13) Karneval - nothing to add here.
14) Teen comedy SNAFU - I seem to enjoy the cynical dialogue and Hachiman's bizarre responses to his homework assignments more than Bamboo, but I don't see this one doing anything to change her mind.
15) Arata - A throwback to the 1980's in terms of story. A bit simplistic for modern audiences, but fun.
16) Photo Kano - Hard to get over the premise, and Kazuya blackmailing the student council pres is really out of character compared with the way he "protects" the other girls. Mindless and has potential, but I'm not optimistic about it.
17) Yuyushiki - Thanks, but I'll watch Hyakko re-runs instead.
18) Severing Crime Edge - not on my playlist.
19) Samurai Bride - ditto
20) Mushibugyu - Guilty (very guilty) pleasure. Like Naruto, only stupider.
21) Leviathan - not on my playlist
??) Hentai prince and stony cat - Hey Bamboo, you missed one. OTOH, you can probably just copy/paste your reviews for Da Capo II here.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I think no matter how we slice and dice the "killing pirates in cold blood is wrong," it will always be complicated and grey, because humans are complicated and morality is grey.

I try to consider how I would feel if I were one of the Gargantians. Yes, I would be relieved that my life was saved when Ledo annihilated the pirates... but I would be absolutely terrified of him. Here is someone who has the ability to completely wipe out the entire colony, which they didn't previously know of. And if he didn't even think twice about incinerating a handful of pirates, how are we to know where he'll draw the distinction between right and wrong? If you get attacked in the street by a dog, and passerby shoots it, you would be appalled, even if he just saved your life or limb(s). I think as humans, it is easier to accept violence as an inadvertent outcome of defense against aggression, rather than premeditated killing. And sure, the pirates attacked first, but there is a disconnect that one feels between just seeing them disappear in front of your eyes, rather than being in the situation yourself, and fighting for your life.

When you are tasked with the question, "Kill or not kill?" you are being given the choice whether to let someone live or die. That is a weighty decision. Hell, as a society, we can't even agree on what side of the moral spectrum the death penalty lies on; we can't even agree on what constitutes "life." I think as an armchair observer, it's easy to say, "Whatever, I would've killed those guys," but in real life, it's much more complicated. When you kill someone, you become a killer, and many wouldn't want to sink to the same level as a bunch of pirates.

And in any case, one of the big reasons why it's in the show is to contrast the actions of the Gargantians with what Ledo is familiar with. He cannot understand at all why they'd have a problem with killing the enemy. It simply doesn't compute. He doesn't even understand why the handicapped aren't euthanized in childhood. Humans often make decisions that seem contrary to survival or efficiency, but that's what makes us human.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I love your wit. You are a pleasure to read Cool

I'm sad that you don't like Karneval, but I guess I tend to like really confusing stuff, so it's all good.

Super disappointed that you didn't comment on UtaPri 2, though! It's a ridiculous show, yes, but I love hearing people poke fun at it, because it's such a fun and derpy show.
T3rm1n4t0r2

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Ann_Bamboo, the way you describe the feelings you get from watching anime are so perfect. You must have literally watched thousands of anime in your life! I've seen 250 now and I'm getting closer and closer to being able to describe why a show is good and bad, but your words always serve as excellent guiding hand when I'm not quite sure about something. If you don't mind, what are your opinions of anime such as Mirai Nikki, Sword Art Online, Accel World, K Project, Gosick, Hellsing Ultimate, Elfen Lied, Pyscho-Pass, Kimi ni Todoke, Sakamichi no Apollon, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Clannad + A.S., Anohana, M. Penguindrum. I don't mean give an 8500 sum of them all, I know you're very busy, but as a whole would you say I've got a good grip on what good anime is? I know it sometimes depends on the person, but obviously there is a definite line between "what is good" and "what is my favourite genre". I watch loads of shows and I try my best to rate them all fairly. Those listed are some of, imo, the best anime I've ever watched. What do you think of them and my tastes?

Last edited by T3rm1n4t0r2 on Wed May 08, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
^If you want to know what Bamboo thinks of those shows just look through the archives of The Stream or some recent Shelf Life columns where many of those shows are covered.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
T3rm1n4t0r, thank you for your kind words!

The easiest way to track down my thoughts on those series are by looking up the series in the Encyclopedia, and more often than not, if you scroll down the page a little, you'll see a link to columns (either Shelf Life or The Stream) where they were reviewed. Not all of the columns are linked (I got a little lazy with the linking), but most of them should be accessible to some degree.

As for Penguindrum, you should check out this ANNCast with me and Zac where we spend the entire time talking about it. Smile animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-03-26
scineram

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
I'm also kind of wondering why they dubbed over some of the original actors' voices with other voices.

They didn't. The seiyuu are the actors, I think. At most the dialogue was rerecorded.
T3rm1n4t0r2

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
T3rm1n4t0r, thank you for your kind words!

The easiest way to track down my thoughts on those series are by looking up the series in the Encyclopedia, and more often than not, if you scroll down the page a little, you'll see a link to columns (either Shelf Life or The Stream) where they were reviewed. Not all of the columns are linked (I got a little lazy with the linking), but most of them should be accessible to some degree.

As for Penguindrum, you should check out this ANNCast with me and Zac where we spend the entire time talking about it. Smile animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2013-03-26

Ty Very Happy I listened to your interview and it was pretty awesome! And I will look into your reviews as well, thanks! Very Happy So far this season, Shingeki no Kyojin, Susei no Gargantia, and Kageku no Railgun II are probably going to be my top 3 shows. I don't know about Aku no Hana yet. It's good, but the last episode where he got water splashed on him made me have to stop for 5 minutes and take a couple long deep breaths before going back. By that I mean it's doing too good of a job at being the intense psychological drama it is. It may turn out to be in my top three, that is if I can even build up enough courage to watch all of it xD I can't wait for your reviews of those when they finish! And as much as I love Chihayafuru, the 2nd season is pulling a Zetsuen no Tempest where they stay in the same place for like 5 or 6 episodes :/ And I'm starting to get a little "home-sick" while watching it every week. They should add a break episode where its just the members preparing and enjoying the time there together or something Dx
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd been wondering where The Stream went this season, until someone mentioned it in another thread. Don't know how I missed it!

I'm not even sure how to rank Gargantia, Titan, and Maou, so I guess these share the top spot in my anticipation each week, just ahead of Hunter x Hunter and Space Brothers.

Quote:
The characters can never just have a normal conversation. Everything is delivered in dry quips, and even though that kind of banter is okay every once in a while, when it makes up a large portion of a show, it gets really dull.

For me, if the entire series consisted of nothing but Hiki having a conversation with anyone, I'd watch it. His internal and external observations make this series. Maybe it just strokes all my misanthropic buttons. Smile

I think you gave up on Mushibugyo too soon. I agree with everything you wrote about it for the first episodes, but it was a pleasant enough diversion, hitting on all shounen tropes like a well-oiled machine, so I kept with it. But around episode 5, I was surprised to realize that I was really enjoying how the series was developing. I guess Jinbei finally won me over with his earnest kindness toward everyone and every situation. Ironically, the exact opposite of Hiki. Smile It won't ever be at the top of my list but it's now among those I look forward to each week instead of just watching when I needed an auto-pilot series.

As far as wrap ups go, would it be possible in the future to add a short "final thoughts" column between seasons? Because as you say, it's problematic to add it onto the first column of a season when that's always going to be filled to the brim before shows are dropped.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
If you get attacked in the street by a dog, and passerby shoots it, you would be appalled, even if he just saved your life or limb(s).

I don't know what you were huffing when you wrote that, but that was an absolutely terrible example. If a person saved my life by shooting the vicious dog who was attacking me, I'd send that person a bunch of flowers, a thank you card and an expensive bottle of plonk. If the person was a police officer I'd write to his or her superiors requesting that the officer be given a commendation.

ANN_Bamboo wrote:
When you kill someone, you become a killer, and many wouldn't want to sink to the same level as a bunch of pirates.

That's ludicrous. That's like saying a police officer shouldn't kill a madman who was going around knifing children because then the heroic officer would be exactly as evil as a monster who knifes children. Your logic is appalling.

It's commonly accepted by reasonable people - not pacifistic hippies with little grip on reality - that defending yourself and others against unlawful aggression is perfectly within your right as a human being. Virtually every nation has a law to this effect as well, though many stipulate that the force used must be reasonable. If it is to save someone from being murdered, or save them from being enslaved and raped, then many people would say that deadly force is reasonable in such a situation. After all, the would-be murderer or rapist gave up his right not to be hurt when he first infringed on other people's rights by hurting them.
Trustilotous

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Nice column. For this season I'm watching Red Data Girl, The Severing Crime Edge, Aiura, Hataraku Maou-sama, Aku no Hana, Oreimo S2, Henneko, Attack on Titan, Namiuchigiwa Muromi-san, Haiyore Nyaruko-san W, Karneval, Sparrow's Hotel, and Yuyushiki.

Right now my favourites and ones that I really look forward to every week are #1 Oreimo, #2 Attack on Titan, #3 Aku no Hana, and #4 Hataraku Maou-sama, with Karneval and Henneko (which is much better than it first seemed) being really good as well.

Muromi, Nyaruko, and Yuyushiki are all consistently entertaining and bring in my tri-weekly doses of gag-comedy.

Aiura and Sparrow's Hotel are little bits of fun.

Crime Edge, I don't really know what to say about it. It's a little strange and I definitely enjoy my time watching it, but the sexual under(over)tones sort of get to me a little.

I've fallen behind on Red Data Girl so I need to play catch-up, but of what I have watched I've liked what I've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11