• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I am not saying that the show was hopeless before, but it really managed to stand on its own legs this episode. There is spoiler[the doubles, Seira losing her powers, Luna fighting, Akari by herself, and losing their base]. So much happened and I enjoyed it, there was a lot done well here, but even the OP is feeling too happy for what is happening.

I still find Luna as my favourite character, I like that she has gotten such an important arc. She is not spoiler[as weak as people are claiming in that she is fighting it], but then some people complain about it being cliché. But I want spoiler[Luna to be saved], wouldn't that be something? It'd be like one of those stories where love and courage triumph and stuff. Good for you if you recognise what I just quoted, and on another level one of the reasons I like this sort genre "is because I loved stories like those".

Lastly I have to put some praise on art, this series has some surprisingly good stuff. Also I just found this beautiful piece. I think that a problem I have had is that individually looking series by how it paints itself can come across as being a bit messy and confusing, but there are some really beautiful parts if you just focus on the right places.

Also was it just me or did it look like spoiler[Daemonia Luna has nipples] at times?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Yes, Luna's spoiler[breasts are entirely exposed after her transformation]. I suspect that this is due to the bizzaro nature of neo-Luna: spoiler[what was on the inside is now on the outside, without restraint. So whereas before she completely repressed her sexuality, now it's impossible to overlook. Whereas before she put everyone before herself, now she puts herself first. While some degree of this would have been good for her, she went from one extreme to another. She needs to find balance. If she can integrate the two sides of herself, she'll come out of this a much more stable person.]

To some degree, Luna reminds me of the two groups in The Dark Crystal: one kind and gentle to the point of impotency, the other cruel and viscious to the point that it hampers their continued survival.

More generally, it appears that the organization they belong to is itself a sub-set of a larger organization. I mentioned earlier that I thought the organization they were in was terribly organized, but after this episode I think it's just a tool the parent organization is using for its own purposes (which are probably not benign). I'm wondering if the girls are being treated as test subjects by the parent organization.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I'm getting a bit tired of seeing spoiler[the good guys continuously lose. Some sort of victory before the final conflict would be nice.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood-,

I agree. The world-building seems entirely focused on making things as miserable/hopeless as possible for our heroines. It's one thing for the world to be Unfair in a blind sort of way, but this one seems unfair in a very focused sort of way. I've noticed that for some time, but I'm trying not to dwell on it so that it won't undercut my enjoyment of the show; it's not easy for me to do.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
well, they could have Evil triumphing, that would be different
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
I hope that Seira will be okay, but the outcome does not look good. Karma for how ruthlessly she fought before? It is building up for a final showdown.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[To me, Luna's nudity seems to be representing her (near complete) loss of intelligent thought. She's exposed to show that she's been turned into an animal.]

What I like about this show is how things just happen, rather than the show dithering about and making a big production out of everything. spoiler[Luna gets turned into a beast, and then she attacks Akari and Seira. The other two find their antimatter counterparts, and Akari comes to bail them out. We hear that a rumor is about to get started, and then see the ultimate results of that rumor.]. I really like that kind of storytelling. It makes things feel a lot more real, since the sort of pissing about that most other things do only really serves to heighten the sense of artifice.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Ep11-

So the great secret was revealed. The plot twist nobody was expecting. The big surprise. And that surprise is that spoiler[Schrodinger wants to see what's in the box.]. Brilliant. Seriously though, I was sort of expecting the real twist because of spoiler[Akari's powers] but I figured it was too far into the plot to reveal that. Apparently not.

It was a pretty dramatic episode with lots of shots relying on musical cues like you'd see in a movie (though it's retarded in horror when a character gets scared by the BGM but that's off-topic). I'm really glad I got my funny thoughts out of the way at the very start (even before the OP played) because that mindset would've really ruined the episode. Seeing thespoiler[ loli talk in shounen-voice] was actually kind of unsettling.

*Akari's silhouette appears in the door window*
Ladies: "Who could that be?"
Akari: "It's Cutman. I broke my helmet. Can I borrow some glue?"
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
This series... I will certainly finish this off, but something to be said is that it really *really* wants to play with the normal magical girl tropes in a "dark fashion" a la Madoka Magica, but the main problem is that the series doesn't understand the establishing basics to why the magical girl tropes work well in the first place.
Episode 11 should have been an EXCELLENT episode experience, and also it should have been an episode that should not be the semi finale for the first season regardless if this series somehow manages a second season.
spoiler[The problem is that Cerebrum is given the role to voice exposition, sometimes exposition isn't so bad catching up the audience especially if it done in a clever manner, but Cerebrum tells are lead girls who they are to there face (aka telling the audience who they are) and why they are in the mess and how much on a whim he cares of there final fate, in theory this is supposed to be his "Palpatine speech" yet the lines delivered are certainly a summary of the characters feelings that even IF Cerebrum can "read there soul" shouldn't his overall actions be a little less indecisive.
The music cues for me were more on the distracting side instead of the enhancing side for most of this episode in particular, no BGM with the seiyuu being able to express there emotions would have been better for a number of the scenes.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have to say, I'm getting a bit tired of seeing spoiler[the good guys continuously lose. Some sort of victory before the final conflict would be nice.]

I'm definitely hoping for the best for them too. Well the latest episode didn't go into that spoiler[direction much but I hope Seira can pull off something out of her hat soon.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

I feel a little kinder about this than some, I think that they are actually doing a pretty good job. Some tough decisions that I don't think have been too cliché done

I wonder if Akari's significant spoiler[change in tarot form is because she is part Daemonia]. And what are the chances that spoiler[Cereberum is actually her father]? Although there does not seem to be like there is much of spoiler[him treating Akari like his daughter]. But there does appear to be some connection between both tarot organisations as the spoiler[person Laplace reported to is in contact with Cereberum]. Could the entire events just be a spoiler[big battle for power, the doppelgangers are created for the purpose of creating a mix of light and dark]?

I hope Seira spoiler[does not kill Luna].
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator,

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
More generally, it appears that the organization they belong to is itself a sub-set of a larger organization. I mentioned earlier that I thought the organization they were in was terribly organized, but after this episode I think it's just a tool the parent organization is using for its own purposes (which are probably not benign). I'm wondering if the girls are being treated as test subjects by the parent organization.

So yeah, I considered that possibility due to the very limited information given to the people running that branch, plus the amount of info that Cereberum has on them, and other little clues as well.

Generally, when you're being roughly manipulated, the enemy seems to know more than it should, and you're not getting any help, there's a pretty good chance that the people you're working for are using you for something.

As for your conjecture about Akari's spoiler[father, I'd guess it is possible. However, the guy is a pretty severe jerk who seems to take sadistic glee in crushing other people emotionally. I didn't see any "fatherliness" in him towards Akari, either, just one mind game after another, barbed with malice: I don't consider that to be fatherly, at all. But you still might be right about that.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I was actually surprised about the plot reveal in this episode. I was expecting more that spoiler[Hinata had been infected, similar to Luna, that caused/while she was pregnant].

What I'm more curious about right now, though, is what this mysterious "Episode XIV" that's on one of the DVDs is. It's on the same disc as episode 7, so it probably won't be really dark, but, at the same time, it can't be after the series, because that would be putting a spoiler on an earlier disc.

Hoping for a positive ending, though, based on the Episode XIII title of spoiler["Smile of the Sun"].
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:31 am Reply with quote
Nobody mentioned Ginka actually spoiler[being alive and fighting?]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
I didn't see that. When did that happen?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 15