• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Anime in the past few seasons have generally looked the same

Not true.

Quote:
had the same tired ploys and gimmicks

Not true.

Quote:
panders to otaku obsessed with cutesy/fetish elements they can masturbate to

Not true.

Quote:
and have the same tired clichés and unimaginative character types.

Not true.

Quote:
It's homogenous grey slush tied up with a pretty ribbon. You have the utter death of character designs, a million of the same slice-of-life school stories, and a lot of stupid visual novel adaptations

Not true.

Quote:
and you have ZERO arguments to counter that.

To quote myself.

rederoin wrote:

Calling something garbage is not an argument.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:05 am Reply with quote
Remember folks, 90% of everything is crap.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
Not true. penguintruth's tired, repetitive soap-boxing is 100% crap.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Respect is earned, not assumed. If you can't keep up with me, you can't expect my respect.

False. Respect is expected of users who wish to continue posting, or rather at least being respectful of other peoples opinions and their right to those opinions. I don't care if they've "earned" your respect (and I'm guessing they don't either), but you are still expected to be respectful towards others and insulting and attacking posters for havind the audacity to not agree with you is simply not going to be tolerated. This "you're going to have to earn the right for me not to treat you like ****" attitude is one you better drop right here and right now if you wish your posting privileges to continue unhindered.

Now what makes your soapboxing problematic is that you continue to try to twist every thread where you post in to a debate about your blanket statements regarding anime as a whole and that is a problem since it deviates discussions from the topics specific content. It may be relevant to the discussion to some degree, but we're going to have to start nipping it in the budy if you continue to insist on derailing multiple topics with the same debate. You want to discuss the state of anime as a whole? Then open a new thread in the anime forum.

On a side not people, engaging in insult wars with a problem poster is just a quick way to also get yourself in trouble. The rules apply to everyone, regardless of who your target is. Someone else being toxic does not excuse such behavior in response and only makes it harder for us to clean up the thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I am always in for a good sports anime and pedal looks like it will be interesting at the very least.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am always in for a good sports anime and pedal looks like it will be interesting at the very least.

I know! It looks like a neat show. I will have to check it out at some point...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:27 am Reply with quote
Watching that Yowapeda trailer makes me want to fix that tire on my bike. Looks like a fun show.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:35 am Reply with quote
As I stated in the Yowamushi Pedal thread I started, the basic plot is very similar to Over Drive (nerdy kid with cycling potential).

The "spider" guy's cycling style drives me nuts though... besides being unrealistic, it's terrible, terrible form and a big waste of energy.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Director Takahiro Omori, a man reputed for his ability in depicting real life stories like Durarara!! and Natsume's Book of Friends,

Well that's not how I would have described those two shows (character driven and focusing a lot on the growth of the characters? Sure, real life? Naaaah) but alright then. Anime hyper And thus we continue the trend of noitaminA shows just not having trailers until right before they premier, guess I'll just have to wait until Thursday and be surprised by whatever pops up on CR.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I am looking forward to Yowapedal because I realize I have a thing for stories with bikes

* Bicycle Thieves
* That episode with Natsume (Yujinchou) learning to ride a bike
*Honey & Clover
*Wadjda (look for this new movie it's great)

Certainly maybe a silly reason to be interested in a series (well I also like sports anime) but it seems like a good omen for this series.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Quote:
Director Takahiro Omori, a man reputed for his ability in depicting real life stories like Durarara!! and Natsume's Book of Friends,

Well that's not how I would have described those two shows (character driven and focusing a lot on the growth of the characters? Sure, real life? Naaaah) but alright then. Anime hyper And thus we continue the trend of noitaminA shows just not having trailers until right before they premier, guess I'll just have to wait until Thursday and be surprised by whatever pops up on CR.

I sort of wondered whether that line wasn't a joke myself. Smile

There's still no decent trailer for it, but the website does have a description of the first episode available:
"Shibiru city, Yukimachi neighborhood. From among the people in this relaxed, quiet town, one young man will take a stand... his name is Masayoshi Hazama. A model for a fashion magazine, he's admired heroes since he was a child, and having decided that he wants to become a hero himself, one night he make his debut as "Samurai Flamenco," ally of justice. He wants to someday face against the evil of the world, and thus the curtain now opens on a new hero---!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Flamenco looks awesome.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Also, re: penguintruth, if you're still trying to argue now that all modern anime or even modern anime in general is a giant pile of crappy moe slush when in recent years the biggest hit anime in Japan have been:

- Madoka Magica (a smart deconstruction of not just magical girl tropes, but more significantly the throw-away nature of too many female characters, the virgin/whore complex, etc. with the best animation Shinbo's done since I don't know when, and I give all that praise even as someone who wantedspoiler[ a way darker ending than it gave us])

- Tiger & Bunny (a story-driven series derived from American tropes with minimal moe and a broad appeal across multiple demographics)

- and Attack on Titan (a survival horror piece where moe-blobs would last five seconds before being eaten)

you are being intentionally obtuse. Yes, there is a ton of crap out there, yes, there is a ton of moe-heavy shows because that's what sells right now, but 10-20 years ago there was plenty of crap with plenty of other awful trends (hyperviolent, "mature" OVAs, anyone?) because they were what sold then. Indeed, given what's been popular lately, we may be transitioning into some new stage, which will also have a lot of crap. Because that's how these things go.

I don't care much for a lot of modern anime, but deciding that it's all a vast wasteland will mean you miss some of the amazing gems that come out every season. So stop complaining about the shows you don't like and instead celebrate and hype the ones you do.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what's going on with Samurai Flamenco. It's only a week away, and we still know barely anything about the show. I also heard that people who saw the first episode screening awhile back said it looked unfinished. This makes me wonder if it's being rushed out the door to make fall season.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Man, a lot of stuff I'm hearing and seeing about Samurai Flamenco sounds really, really campy. Thus, I really, really want to see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14