• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chobits (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote
It isn't about having sex with a robot, it's about making love to someone you care about. Certainly Chi is a robot and therefore has set limitations on what her personality is, but you can't view her as an ordinary appliance, the analogy you made referencing a light socket has nothing to do with Persocoms. People will abuse such things, but people abuse sex as it is. THe point is is that he doesn't see Chii as a robot, he just sees her as a unique human being.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I had a hard time taking Chobits seriously when I was watching it. She had the personality of a wet napkin for like 15 episodes, and even after that, I thought I show more personality and self awareness at 6 am. As much as I support pretty much all aspects of technology and experimentation, I can't help but feel that there is something off in his head to project that much feeling onto a robot that showed far less intelligence or empathy than my golden retriever ever did. Thankfully, I am comforted by the fact that it will never be continued as a series. As everyone before has said, there's nothing left to cover that is worth making a series out of. The show ended on the note it should have, and anything more would have ruined any point or feeling they were trying to evoke.

Then again, I doubt the idea of robot sex slaves will disappear any time soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
The main problem I have with Chobits is spoiler[how everyone is tied together. The final straw was the fact that the children's book was written by the person who runs the house, who also is the person who helped build Chi. It is almost as absurd as Darth Vader building C3P0! This is typical Clamp which works for RG Veda or X where there is a supernatural prophesy being fulfilled but is just plain silly in Chobits.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
You must hate a lot of media present and past then, because it's a common (and clever I think) plot element to make things that are seem completely unrelated connected. I heavily enjoy unexpected plot elements to storylines that I can't predict it makes any story much more fun, whatever the genre.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I like it when it seems logical and makes sense. When there is a strange connection between to characters it makes since since this is the junction that the story takes place.

But when you have a web of characters where everyone has a fate and destiny with everyone else it gets silly. It is also different if a character is actively seeking out another person instead of randomly running into a dozen unrelated people who all happen to be related to each other. It makes the world feel as it only consists of a dozen people and feel like a computer sim game. I can't think of anything that does it more than Chobits besides maybe Star Wars,especially when they tried to tie together the two trilogies. I'm just glad that they didn't work Han Solo into the prequels by making his father Jango's old partner or something lame like that.

Having connections is indeed important to storytelling, but it starts to get silly when people start revealing that they are related, have secretly dated, secretly killed someone important, or all of the above with every other unrelated character throughout the series. It just feels like a bad soap opera.

Gundam especially the Seed series also tends to do this. The plot twists work for spoiler[Mu Laflaga and Ra Cruse since they have a pre-established past that is a one to one connection. It got silly with Kira and Cagalli though, especially with them hooking up conveniently with Athrun and Lacus (thank goodness they were not also siblings)].
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Personally, Chii's.....'obliviousness', shall we say, gets on my nerves, too. But, I tend to like Chobits because I can relate to Hideki.

Apart from that, what with how technology and society are progressing, a world like that depicted in Chobits is only a few decades away....

I'm the kind of person who believes that when a series ends, it's over, and unless the creator wants to make a sequel, then it doesn't need a sequel. Look at FLCL--six episodes, and it's a complete series! What more do you need?
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
Same here, but that still doesn't mean you don't want more.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Meiaminkbell wrote:
Same here, but that still doesn't mean you don't want more.

Okay, then look at it this way: spoiler[everyone says that Chobits is the sequel to Anglic Layer, right? Wouldn't it be convoluted to give a sequel a sequel?]

That's my opinion, anyway. Unless CLAMP wants it, there won't be any more Chobits.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
*shrugs*

If they can make a good story, why not?

BTW, I was agreeing with you. As much as I want more from a certain show, it is over and I don't feel the need to get angry over it if there is no continuation, it doesn't make the ending bad. What I was saying, is that understanding why a story ends and seeing it end doesn't mean you don't want more.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Meiaminkbell wrote:
*shrugs*

If they can make a good story, why not?

BTW, I was agreeing with you. As much as I want more from a certain show, it is over and I don't feel the need to get angry over it if there is no continuation, it doesn't make the ending bad. What I was saying, is that understanding why a story ends and seeing it end doesn't mean you don't want more.

Oh, now I get you. I'm just sick of seeing things drawn out longer than they have to be.

Look at Citizen Kain--one of America's best films ever, and not a single sequel! Whereas, I heard rumors of a sequel to Titanic....
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Like I said, if they can do it and do it well, why not? I don't like things being dragged out either, but it's not always the case.

And no. No there cannot be a Titanic 2, because there was only one Titanic...I cannot possibly imagine justifying a Titanic 2.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
...unless it's a horror flick with zombies. Laughing

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ruro niko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Meiaminkbell wrote:
And no. No there cannot be a Titanic 2, because there was only one Titanic...I cannot possibly imagine justifying a Titanic 2.

The Titanic's sister ship, the Britannic, sank in 1916 after hitting a mine, losing 30 lives. There's a possible sequel there that's still based on fact. If a company wants one bad enough, they can find a way to make a sequel.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Then it should be called Brittanc. NOT Titanic 2!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I still think the zombies are a good idea though... Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13