• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: San Diego Police Arrest 29-Year-Old Male in Alleged Assault on Comic-Con Cosplayer

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rensie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:
If not, then ANN should remove the image of the suspect as soon as possible. I'd say ANN should respect the integrity of both parties, what happened to the "innocent until proven guilty"?

But uncle sam have thought crimes too, lol.
And newspapers/ tv news like these things otherwise nobody read/watch them, and don't matter if they ruin the life of people even if they are innocent, what's matter is the business. Very Happy
overlordrae

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone acting like they were dating at the time? They broke up. Some of the most dangerous moments for a girl in a relationship is when they try to leave.

Also, it was her birthday during the con so she JUST turned 17. It would be more appropriate to say he was dating a 16 year old, because they already broke up before she was 17.
KPhilipsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
By all means but different societies and cultures define "Adulthood" as occurring at different ages. For instance in Canada, where I live, the age of consent is 16. This relationship wouldn't be a crime in my country and honestly the age gap doesn't bother me. 17yr old girls have sex. Sometimes with older men. It's not a moral problem unless your culture has issues with purity and sex.

Drugs are a developmental issue. Marijuana can harm a still developing brain. Sex? Not so much. If consensual and safe, sex at 17 isn't harmful.

potatochobit wrote:
Alunimus wrote:
Why can't people have sexual relationships only depending on their age? If person knows what sexual relationship is then what's the problem? All these words about any contact with minor being rape are no more than a hypocrisy.

I don't know man, why can't we smoke marijuana in high school? (oh wait)

if a person is NOT an adult then they don't have the LEGAL RIGHT to make ADULT choices. Arguments like these are why I need a pet rock.

Last edited by KPhilipsen on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:43 am; edited 2 times in total
KPhilipsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
Update:

"While Harbor Police was speaking with that witness, Kalior returned without prompting. Harbor Police spoke to Kalior and he denied any dating relationship with [the girl] but admitted to bringing her to a party at the hotel that night where there were a lot of alcohol beverages. A consensual search of Kalior's cellphone revealed a break-up text dated 7/15/14 in which he used her nick-name ... and he referenced their dating relationship. A short time later, [the girl] woke up in the hospital and confirmed she and Kalior have been in a sexual/dating relationship."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/31/5957517/police-san-diego-comic-con-cosplayer-assault-investigation
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:54 am Reply with quote
KPhilipsen wrote:
It's not a moral problem unless your culture has issues with purity and sex.
Are you not familiar with American culture? 'Cause that's exactly what we have, "issues with purity and sex."
DireKit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Damn, that's awful. It sucks that a lot of the time conventions like these aren't safe spaces, especially for young women.

Large gatherings of primarily misogynistic men in a sexist culture where women try to dress up as characters they often lust after aren't safe for young women.

Gee.

Who would'a thunk it?

Hawkwing wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm rather curious that a minor's parents allowed her to date an adult, and not just a guy that just turned 18, but a 29 year old adult. Where were they in all this? Were they aware that their daughter was dating a much older man? If not, why not? And if they did know about the relationship, did they think that it was acceptable? The minor has stated that they had a sexual relationship. Why wasn't he prosecuted prior to this?

I do think the parents of this minor need to take responsibility here. Obviously, it's not your fault that your daughter was raped, but it is your fault as a parent if you knew about this relationship and did nothing to stop it. While decade + age differences aren't so detrimental when both parties are consenting adults, they are when one person is a minor.

Does it matter?

I assume you wouldn't mind if she was 18 and the suspect would be 30.
We're talking about a 17 year old, not a 10 year old. She's already an adult and certainly mature enough to make her own decisions.

Don't get me wrong, rape is a horrible offence. But rape happens to adults as well and therefore I don't think it's appropriate to compare a consenting relationship with a rape offence. Now if the law doesn't allow consenting sex between parties under the age of 18, then he should be fined. But what they're dealing with is rape, which shouldn't be taken lightly.

Ironically, in most of the rest of the World outside of the United States, the age of legal consent is 16.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:

But uncle sam have thought crimes too, lol.
And newspapers/ tv news like these things otherwise nobody read/watch them, and don't matter if they ruin the life of people even if they are innocent, what's matter is the business. Very Happy

I'm fully aware that it's a marketing strategy by the media, but doing so kinda makes me furious.

DireKit wrote:
Ironically, in most of the rest of the World outside of the United States, the age of legal consent is 16.

True, the age of consent in my country happens to be 15 and I think that's a reasonable age.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
DireKit wrote:
Large gatherings of primarily misogynistic men

Please speak only for yourself, thank you.

Quote:
But it's okay for guys to dress however they want.

Incorrect. Women actually have far less clothing restrictions than men do. Women can wear any traditional man's clothing from pants to a suit and it would be socially accepted, unlike a man deciding to go out in public in a dress or stockings or heels.
DireKit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
DireKit wrote:
Large gatherings of primarily misogynistic men

Please speak only for yourself, thank you.

Well, We're not male. Soo, yeah. Additionally, We said 'primarily', not all. Assuming you're not guilty of the same behaviour and you're male, you really have nothing to take offense from that statement. However any woman who has been to a convention and dressed up will know that the majority of men there are kinda creepers typically.

Quote:
But it's okay for guys to dress however they want.

gloverrandal wrote:
Incorrect. Women actually have far less clothing restrictions than men do. Women can wear any traditional man's clothing from pants to a suit and it would be socially accepted, unlike a man deciding to go out in public in a dress or stockings or heels.

You're missing the point. Rolling Eyes
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
really disappointed in ANN for not obscuring the photo of someone who's merely a suspect at this point...i guess in the court of public opinion you're guilty until proven innocent.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Keiichi-chan wrote:
really disappointed in ANN for not obscuring the photo of someone who's merely a suspect at this point...i guess in the court of public opinion you're guilty until proven innocent.

Glad I'm not the only one who lost respect for this pathetic act.
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
It seems like some people are confused about "sexual assault" vs. "sexual contact with a minor".

"Contact with a minor" means a 17 (or less) year old person consented to sex with a legal adult but their consent means nothing because they're a legal minor. It's a misdemeanor in CA (though it can/has been escalated in cases where some genuine creep is taking advantage of a young person who is consenting but clearly being abused) and that's why they don't like calling it "statutory rape" because that makes it sound like rape is a misdemeanor, trivial crime.

If they're going to charge him with it, it's not because of anything that happened that night, which would be a much more serious assault charge regardless of the ages and relationship status of those involved. It's because of their admitted sexual relationship, and it's pretty much up to her/her parents whether they charge, the police generally don't enforce borderline age of consent cases (obviously consensual 17 yr old dating a 23 yr old kind of things) unless directed to.

As far as the conversation that seems to currently be taking place: age of consent laws are great in theory, pretty horrible in practice, specifically because of things like this. It's better to go by a case by case basis. There's a really obvious difference between an 18 year old who wants to date his 14 year old neighbor/friend/whatever and the 30 year old who loves 7 year old neighborhood kids in general, but the future employer of either will only see a pedophile with a rape record. If it really needs to exist then it needs to be set at like 13.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
@leesahlynn:

At least in my state, sex with a minor under the age of consent is covered by the sexual assault statute. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case in the vast majority of states.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
What is this TMZ Headline shit? Who gives a damn? Everybody's lying anyway, this story is about to get buried in sensationalism.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:

Has the court delivered the final verdict of this case yet?

If not, then ANN should remove the image of the suspect as soon as possible. I'd say ANN should respect the integrity of both parties, what happened to the "innocent until proven guilty"?

I'm greatly dissapointed in ANN for violating basic human rights.

I see you're from Sweden. In many parts of Europe, a suspects right to privacy outweighs the media's "freedom of speech" and the public's "right to know." In North America, particularly the USA, but also Canada, it is the other way around. Not only do journalists here have a right to disclose identifiable information about suspects, it's generally believed that they have a responsibility to do so.

It's standard practice in the United States and other countries for news outlets to post suspects' pictures. In fact, it's considered an important part of journalism because it makes it possible for the public to be aware of a potential threat from a suspect, and it also informs people with knowledge of the suspect that their knowledge may be useful to the police.

CBS - http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/08/03/suspect-in-dallas-triple-murder-arrested/
News9 - http://www.news9.com/story/26184884/kansas-rape-suspect-arrested-in-tulsa
CTV (Canada) - http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/sixth-suspect-arrested-after-victims-robbed-and-held-under-bridge-1.1921958
SFGate - http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2014/08/01/suspect-arrested-in-stanford-palo-alto-gropings/
bbc: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27874867
more: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=ca&tbm=nws&q="suspect+arrested"
and more: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22suspect+arrested%22&hl=en&gl=ca&tbm=isch

That last one is very interesting. For UK news, the BBC rarely or never posts a picture of a suspect because it is not standard practice (possibly it's illegal, I don't know), but for US news they do.

The BBC is arguably the most respected news source in the world. If they can post photos of US suspects, so can we.

That said, I don't personally agree with the practice, but I haven't over-ruled our editors in regards to it.

I might one day over-rule our editors on this, but I've already forced a new policy on them in regards to photos once this week, I prefer not to meddle on a regular basis. I'd rather do it after a long discussion with them, and possibly other professional journalists whom I respect.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12