• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online: What makes it SEEM so bad?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
I have to confess, reading the second Aincrad novel is seriously enjoyable. I'm finding it hard to put down and this wouldn't be a bad thing if I didn't choose to read right before bed.

Some interesting ideas are mentioned; the banter between Kirito and Asuna can be rather delightful, like when the idea of climbing to the top level of Aincrad is brought up:

Quote:
Asuna: There are those things like support pillars around the outer edge, going all the way up to the ceiling of this floor. What do you suppose happens if you climb all the way?

Kirito: I've done that before. It basically didn't work. It wasn't that hard to climb, since the rock had all kinds of notches and handholds, but about eighty yards up, I got yelled at by a system error saying "This is an off-limits zone!"

Asuna: Hahaha! See, you're not supposed to cheat.

Kirito: It's not funny! It startled me so much, I lost my grip and fell off...

Asuna: Wait, what? That fall would be fatal.

Kirito: Yeah, I thought I was going to die. If I'd been just three seconds later in getting my teleport crystal, I'd be on the list of the fallen."

Asuna: Jeeze, that's so dangerous! Don't ever try that again.

Kirito: You're the one who brought up the idea!

Not only does this make them sound like a real couple, but it paints the image of Kirito nearly killing himself just because he's clumsy and a cheater.....which is just amusing to me. Anime hyper

Not long after this, comes Yui's story and it's surprising just how much this was supposed revolve around Asuna. The anime butchered this quite a bit because this chapter goes into detail on Asuna's background, her family, what her family raised her to be, what their expectations of her are, her personal feelings, and why SAO became so important to her as freedom from that.

Want to know why Asuna became a top player? She practiced and leveled up every day because she wanted to clear it as fast as possible so she could go take her exams in the real world so she wouldn't disappoint her parents!

....yup. The anime also never mentioned her mental breakdown or how she shut herself up in an inn for the first two weeks of being trapped in the game.

Makes her feel a lot more like a real person and less like a "perfect waifu" doesn't it?
Kamagor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
So is the manga worth reading then for all the added detail? Generally, I like the SAO anime, even if it has its problems, but if things are better explained and realized, I might be willing to check it out.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
Remember, the novels are the source material for SAO. Any manga version is just an adaptation, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
Kamagor wrote:
So is the manga worth reading then for all the added detail? Generally, I like the SAO anime, even if it has its problems, but if things are better explained and realized, I might be willing to check it out.

Nope. Read the novels. The manga's art is not good. It doesn't hold a candle to A1's's art and the art by abec in the novels is even better than A1's.

So you'll be looking for something like this:

http://www.zerochan.net/abec
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
It doesn't hold a candle to A1's's art and the art by abec in the novels is even better than A1's.

I think this is the first thing about the franchise that we've actually strongly disagreed on. I've never found abec's art to be anything special, and I'll take A-1's rendition of the characters over his any day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Somewhat less important than which has the better art, the manga, at least for the Aincrad arc though probably true of the other arcs as well, is perhaps the most abbreviated version of the story. If you're looking for things cut from the anime for one reason or another, it's not the best place to look.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
It doesn't hold a candle to A1's's art and the art by abec in the novels is even better than A1's.

I think this is the first thing about the franchise that we've actually strongly disagreed on. I've never found abec's art to be anything special, and I'll take A-1's rendition of the characters over his any day.

Well, it's certain pics for me.

I like this group pic:
http://www.zerochan.net/1944660#full

a whole lot more than this one:

http://www.zerochan.net/1844194

In fact, I like the first one SO much that I have a wall scroll of the left half of it hanging on my wall. It's likely I prefer abec's art because of the attention to detail.

Regardless of this, I want to own the artbooks, both from abec AND A1 because they are both good. lol

@GrayArchon:

Yes, good point. Anime hyper
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
In fact, I like the first one SO much that I have a wall scroll of the left half of it hanging on my wall. It's likely I prefer abec's art because of the attention to detail.

Can't say that I'm seeing any more attention to detail in the first artwork on a character-by-character basis, but whatever. And frankly, I don't see all that much difference between the two when abec does the art in color. It now leaves me wondering whether the wall scroll I have featuring the Aincard versions of Kirito, Asuna, Lisbeth, and Silica is his work or the anime character designer's work. (I've always thought the latter, but I am no longer sure.)
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I prefer the second of the two linked pics. I like the characters' expressions better and the colors feel deeper and more genuine compared to the first pic, which has more of a "candy store fluff" feel to it. I would've preferred a bolder anime adaptation done in a darker tone in general, so that's probably why I like the second pic better.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
the colors feel deeper and more genuine compared to the first pic, which has more of a "candy store fluff" feel to it.

I felt the opposite. I think there are more different shades of color in the 1st one. I don't know, Kirito's coat looks a lot more better in the 1st one. In the 1st the coat is shinier and the silver lines are too thick in the 2nd one.

Also a lot of the characters are wielding weapons in the 1st one while in the 2nd only the dudes have weapons (and Agil's axe looks so generic compared to the 1st link). I do prefer the eye designs of the 2nd link and Silica's pet looks a lot more furry and lifelike.

All in all I do think the 1st one has more detail. Like Liz's ribbon (or is it a bowtie?) looks a lot thicker and there's a button on top of it. In the 2nd one the button is covered by Kirito's sword and the ribbon looks like it's made from paper.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. The first one screams "EPIC" to me. Anime hyper I like how everyone looks ready to dive into battle and I especially prefer Kirito's look here. And dat background! The whole picture tells a story. The second one is like, "Hi, I'm a standard DVD case." But we don't have to agree on everything. lol

Key wrote:
It now leaves me wondering whether the wall scroll I have featuring the Aincard versions of Kirito, Asuna, Lisbeth, and Silica is his work or the anime character designer's work. (I've always thought the latter, but I am no longer sure.)

Link me; I'll know immediately. :3
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I dunno. The first one screams "EPIC" to me. Anime hyper I like how everyone looks ready to dive into battle and I especially prefer Kirito's look here. And dat background! The whole picture tells a story. The second one is like, "Hi, I'm a standard DVD case." But we don't have to agree on everything. lol

Was the first one meant to only be for the books, while the second was for DVDs? Because the first half of the first one makes up half of the picture on the boxset I have.
Half of first season Limited editions
And so I started to take a picture of the rest of my collection.
Second half of first season Limited Editions.
First half of the first half of second season.
Second half of the first half of second season. (seems second season will be in two boxsets, so I included this one just to show the other side. Also it has an art book.)
And I guess the figures I have. Well I own Leafa and Yuuki, my brother just decided he wanted to include his Asuna in the picture. The figures were all reasonably priced, and I quite want to find a similarly good Sinon.

And yes, the photos don't look too great, I really jus tried my new tablet out. There was talk earlier about Leia and whether it is sexual like with how Asuna ended up. Honestly I have never understood where people thougt the slave outfit leia wears was sexy, to this day it makes me feel uncomfortable as a sign of being imprisoned. And I feel the same about Asuna being forced into that avatar, it reaches a point where I see it more as a symbol of the person imprisoning them rather than any feelings of the one wearing it.

Waiting until next month for part 3 of season 2. Madman does not have anything yet about any Limited Editions.
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
I think I like both A1-Pictures and Abec's versions of the art. Both have very good designs. The only thing that I've noticed I dislike is both have a distinct style that can be seen in other works. I don't think its a bad thing, but when you notice character designs looking a little similar just gave me a weird feeling. Specifically I remember Sachi looking a bit too much like Haruka Amami in A1's The iDOLM@ASTER. Other than that both were great.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm reversing course on comments I made in a different thread a few months ago when it comes to the SAO figs. I am definitely going to pick up a Yuki figure if I come across a good one at this spring/summer's 'cons. I already have the Asuna fig (albeit one of the Aincrad versions, as I was never as fond of her ALO avatars), but I have no interest in getting a Leafa fig.

(And for the record, I only own one other figma, so I'm definitely not normally into that.)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I already have the Asuna fig (albeit one of the Aincrad versions, as I was never as fond of her ALO avatars)

Which figure, exactly? I remember suggesting several to you.

Anyways, I also like both art styles equally. The wall scroll I have is the cast of Hollow Fragment drawn by abec, though.

Figure wise I have 2 Suguhas, 1 Leafa, and a Sinon. I also have a Suguha keychain.

As a rule I generally only go with one figure per character, but I like Suguha too much.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 15