• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalcolmBelmont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
All the foreshadowing in the new OP. The main antagonist will be introduced soon and things are about to get very real for the JoJo crew
3ngag3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Interesting theory about Josuke potentially inspiring himself as, from what I heard...

spoiler[Supposedly, Araki wanted it so that Yoshikage Kira's stand, Killer Queen would send Josuke back in time to that particular moment, thus completing the time loop, but it was forgotten and now left as one of his various plot holes throughout the series.]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Rohan Kishibe can read people like a book. In the most horrifyingly literal way possible. And it shows just how overpowered Heaven's Door is as an ability: Rohan was able to nearly incapacitate our entire cast of main characters up to this point with ease. He could've killed them all, but he's more interested in reading Koichi than doing any intended harm. That is, he's not even fighting, and STILL no one stood a chance against him but Josuke. The only thing that did him in was his own mistake in judgment.

So are the effects on Koichi and Hazamada still in effect, or do they wear off when Rohan is defeated?
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
^ Once Rohan is punched right in the face his Stand's effects disappear. Like, his Stand was constantly working in the sense that he wrote on Koichi, Okuyasu and Hazamada's bodies (though Hazamada must not have noticed anything since Rohan didn't write anything to make him come back). And like in most shonen manga, once you punch the lights out of that bastard, everyone' saved.

3ngag3 wrote:
Interesting theory about Josuke potentially inspiring himself as, from what I heard...

spoiler[Supposedly, Araki wanted it so that Yoshikage Kira's stand, Killer Queen would send Josuke back in time to that particular moment, thus completing the time loop, but it was forgotten and now left as one of his various plot holes throughout the series.]

spoiler[Baseless rumours, mostly, or at least I've never seen anyone proving that. Killer Queen's Bites the Dust does something totally different, it doesn't send anyone back in time. it's just that whenever the victim reveals anything related to Kira's identity, Killer Queen blows them up and restarts that day. This will happen endlessly until Kira stops it.

At best, Araki wanted to do it, but didn't found a compelling way to do it (like sending Josuke at a specific point back in time and in a road to S-City, too contrived), so he left it just like that. There is no plot hole because it doesn't contradict any of the following events. And anyway, while it could've been cool it wouldn't exactly help, like, why? How would that have helped against Kira? Did Josuke need an emotional push to not give up or something like that? If the anime wants to imply it, well, but I hardly believe it will.]
MalcolmBelmont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I love the scene in the opening where the pictures are blown up.All that happiness and slice of life will be blown to ash thanks to a a certain serial killer]
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this making of documentary, but will they return to JoJo next week?
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
As much as I am enjoying Part 4, I have to admit I miss the wackiness and novelty of the first two parts. There's a sense, a tone, that those had that all subsequent iterations have lacked. Considering that's what drew me to the franchise in the first place, I'm disappointed in this state of affairs. Jojo's hamminess and ridiculousness is what sold me on the series to begin with. While I will admit the emotional capacity of the series has improved, it's also started to feel more standard, more generic. It feels like every other anime now, and that's a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned, considering that its uniqueness is what I consider one of the series best points.
FreshIngredient

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't expecting a new opening so soon, could this mean we'll be getting 3 in all?
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I like the new OP as a song. I do not like it as a JoJo's song. I'm sure it will grow on me.

Best line in the episode when Koichi was like yeah, Yukiko would totally come to save me! but I don't want to see her, so let's not do that. Amazing. Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
As much as I am enjoying Part 4, I have to admit I miss the wackiness and novelty of the first two parts. There's a sense, a tone, that those had that all subsequent iterations have lacked. Considering that's what drew me to the franchise in the first place, I'm disappointed in this state of affairs. Jojo's hamminess and ridiculousness is what sold me on the series to begin with. While I will admit the emotional capacity of the series has improved, it's also started to feel more standard, more generic. It feels like every other anime now, and that's a bad thing, as far as I'm concerned, considering that its uniqueness is what I consider one of the series best points.

Phantom Blood was practically devoid of wackiness and had a mostly straight-faced tone compared to every succeeding part in the series.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:12 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Phantom Blood was practically devoid of wackiness and had a mostly straight-faced tone compared to every succeeding part in the series.

True, though with Phantom Blood, I got the impression that the straight-faced tone was also the overarching joke - if that makes sense.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:46 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
^ Once Rohan is punched right in the face his Stand's effects disappear. Like, his Stand was constantly working in the sense that he wrote on Koichi, Okuyasu and Hazamada's bodies (though Hazamada must not have noticed anything since Rohan didn't write anything to make him come back). And like in most shonen manga, once you punch the lights out of that bastard, everyone' saved.

spoiler[Baseless rumours, mostly, or at least I've never seen anyone proving that. Killer Queen's Bites the Dust does something totally different, it doesn't send anyone back in time. it's just that whenever the victim reveals anything related to Kira's identity, Killer Queen blows them up and restarts that day. This will happen endlessly until Kira stops it.

At best, Araki wanted to do it, but didn't found a compelling way to do it (like sending Josuke at a specific point back in time and in a road to S-City, too contrived), so he left it just like that. There is no plot hole because it doesn't contradict any of the following events. And anyway, while it could've been cool it wouldn't exactly help, like, why? How would that have helped against Kira? Did Josuke need an emotional push to not give up or something like that? If the anime wants to imply it, well, but I hardly believe it will.]

All right then. I was wondering about the clause Rohan wrote upon Okuyasu, but I guess Rohan was harmed and subsequently defeated too quickly for Okuyasu to actually kill himself. I take it, then, that the effects wore off too quickly for Okuyasu to die?

My guess on the second Josuke Higashikata in the flashback was the result of Crazy Diamond's healing power taken to its logical extreme. The healing is essentially reverting something or someone back to a previous state. If Crazy Diamond can do that for the entire universe all at once, with Josuke being the sole exception as he cannot be healed by Crazy Diamond, it would effectively be the same thing as Josuke going backwards in time. I had assumed that, at the end of the series, or perhaps on the final battle of Part 4, Josuke would do that and go back in time to when he was a child, helping his mother get out of the snowy area. But because of Crazy Diamond's abilities, he cannot go forward in time and must live out the rest of his life in the past (or die right there or something).

Though I have a hunch I am completely wrong in this guess. I hope it doesn't end on something that depressing.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:00 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

True, though with Phantom Blood, I got the impression that the straight-faced tone was also the overarching joke - if that makes sense.

I always considered part 1 to be the funniest of the animated series parts because it was trying so hard at being heroic and manly and badass that I saw it more as a parody with good plot instead of... Actually a serious attempt at that genre. My opinion was strengthened the moment I realized that phantom blood is wacky and more obvious in its comedy.

Still I disagree with you on Jojo having lost that wacky feeling. Its all Jojo, the anime just sets the tone differently and that's always the case in an anime adaptation. If you read the Manga first you'd be surprised how different it would feel
MalcolmBelmont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
I really like the Part 4 Characters and setting because they are far more relateable. Josuke isn't a big hero trying to stop the bad guy and save the day. He is a good kid who wants to protect his friends and the ones he love. Also i love the lyrics for the latest OP (English isn't the best)

My most precious things seem about to be stolen
By a demon that's burrowed into my everyday life;
My peaceful moments have already collapsed
Being unconcerned, so nonchalant,
Before I even noticed, it'd been torn away...
If I'm gonna get it back, I have to act right away
With the sharpness of a piercing arrow,
These colliding hearts are a thing of beauty !
I'll chase you anywhere
I'll chase you anytime
You know I'll chase you
There is no escape
Start running, chase you
Again tomorrow, chase you
Until I've kicked your god damn ass
Victory is decided by your demise
So I'll chase you
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
All right then. I was wondering about the clause Rohan wrote upon Okuyasu, but I guess Rohan was harmed and subsequently defeated too quickly for Okuyasu to actually kill himself. I take it, then, that the effects wore off too quickly for Okuyasu to die?

My guess on the second Josuke Higashikata in the flashback was the result of Crazy Diamond's healing power taken to its logical extreme. The healing is essentially reverting something or someone back to a previous state. If Crazy Diamond can do that for the entire universe all at once, with Josuke being the sole exception as he cannot be healed by Crazy Diamond, it would effectively be the same thing as Josuke going backwards in time. I had assumed that, at the end of the series, or perhaps on the final battle of Part 4, Josuke would do that and go back in time to when he was a child, helping his mother get out of the snowy area. But because of Crazy Diamond's abilities, he cannot go forward in time and must live out the rest of his life in the past (or die right there or something).

Though I have a hunch I am completely wrong in this guess. I hope it doesn't end on something that depressing.

Yup, the effects wore off in the moment Crazy Diamond wrecked Rohan's face.

About that idea...spoiler[literally the first time I heard of it. While it looks plausible, Crazy Diamond's range is much smaller, and it has never shown to be capable of affecting something on that scale. His punching range is 1-2 meter at best, and that's the limit of his power. Star Platinum's time stop is unrelated to the extension of its hand, so that's an exception. And if that scenario were to happen, it would be a paradox. If Josuke never managed to come back, it would be pointless to save his child self, because that self would have to travel back in time to close the loop again and die. An endless loop, Josuke should be able to come back for it to make sense.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 28