• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Well, I'm in Japan, have been watching them on TV, and wholeheartedly say "I agree with the reviews and everything said in all of them".

Now you can read them without worrying about moral issues Smile
I'm afraid I don't see the link between morallity, and editorial correctness.

All you have to do is consider all the reviews as nothing more than reflecting MY opinion, instead of the authors, and then you are reading the opinion of someone who legally and without moral ambiguity watched the shows.
Or at least that's what I was going at.

Nevertheless, this doesn't really change the fact that the source of the information being read is derived from viewing fansubs, so that's a difficult disassociation to make.

The fact of the matter is, though, that without these fansubs it would be difficult if not impossible for ANN to offer an effective season preview. Of course legally provided review material would be preferable, but because they are currently lacking somewhat, fansubs are the only means by which ANN reviewers can stay up to date on anime being aired in Japan.
Again I would have preferred they did, and if they had decided not to provide a preview because of not being able to legally obtain source material I would not miss it one bit, and would have thought more highly of them as I'm sure the industry would as well. Our UK based anime and manga magazine NEO has a correspondant who lives in Tokyo, or at least says he does, and gives a very concise report of what's new on the Japanese tele. If such a low budget operation like Uncooked Media can have someone there doing preview reports, I can not see why ANN can not do the same. Hell maybe they could even contact NEO and find out if their man in Tokyo wouldn't mind doing reviews and previews for ANN as well. He might be glad of the extra work. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:05 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Again I would have preferred they did, and if they had decided not to provide a preview because of not being able to legally obtain source material I would not miss it one bit, and would have thought more highly of them as I'm sure the industry would as well. Our UK based anime and manga magazine NEO has a correspondant who lives in Tokyo, or at least says he does, and gives a very concise report of what's new on the Japanese tele. If such a low budget operation like Uncooked Media can have someone there doing preview reports, I can not see why ANN can not do the same. Hell maybe they could even contact NEO and find out if their man in Tokyo wouldn't mind doing reviews and previews for ANN as well. He might be glad of the extra work. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Yes, if ANN could secure reviewers in Tokyo that could only be a good thing for this feature; not to mention, it would also provide the site with more sources for news coverage in general. Maybe the staff have looked into this, but there were no candidates they got into contact with which were up to standard? Also I feel I should just mention here that I do feel multiple individuals would be needed in order to retain the spirit of the season preview feature.

On a side note: I'd just like to say that I really like the diversity of opinion that is coming out through these reviews, even if a lot of what I'm reading does not agree with me (Casey's reviews on Kure-nai and Allison and Lillia, for instance). I think it helps a lot in making informed decisions about what I plan on watching, whereas simple summations would not.
calawain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
calawain wrote:
The thing I find the most amusing out of this whole discussion, aside from the fact that people complain that the reviews are both too diverse and too similar, is that the usual legion of ANN anti-fansub crusaders seem to be absent. One would think they would nay miss a chance to vehemently state how the watching of any fansub is evil and punishable by death!

Zac already pointed out that Fansub hatzoring is his position and not the entire staffs' position.

So I take it then that because this preview is possible only because the ANN staff downloaded and viewed fansubs that the majority of the ANN staff or at least the editorial decision makers do not have a problem with fansubs?

teferi wrote:
If anything, the one thing I find amusing is how much people are willing trash talk about the previews. It's such a completely different response than you see on any anime blog. Maybe people are expecting more ANN than they do from blogs O-o

Well ANN holds itself out to be a proper "news" source which engenders some responsibility for being journalistic. Thus, they are held to a higher standard than an anime blog which hold itself out merely as a place for the opinion of the author. So the fact that these reviews are pretty lackluster in quality may lead people to harp on that notion and be quite critical.
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
calawain wrote:
Well ANN holds itself out to be a proper "news" source which engenders some responsibility for being journalistic. Thus, they are held to a higher standard than an anime blog which hold itself out merely as a place for the opinion of the author. So the fact that these reviews are pretty lackluster in quality may lead people to harp on that notion and be quite critical.

I don't think the reviews are "lackluster", and most of the people being "critical" have also been unreasonable.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
Indeed. How do you find these reviews "lackluster", calawain? I think they've generally been concise and informative.
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Quote:
They're written by the same bloody author o,o

He wouldn't write them if there wasn't an intention to go in that direction. That's like saying the data books for bleach are irrelevant to the story.

You're hopeless, people who have actually read the novels say they consist of one long arc, is the manga one long arc? Why would Shouji write comedic side stories for FMP if is going to end dramatically, it doesn't make sense according to your logic!

Quote:
Most of the time when people get to the point when they start using sarcasm and a derisive tone they tend to be emotionally attached to the topic of discussion. You've been acting offended if not insulted >.>

So if you say the Lakers suck and I call you an idiot I'm emotionally attacked to the Lakers even though I'm a Miami Heat fan? There's a difference between pointing out the obvious and getting offended, learn it. As for the sarcasm you said something that deserved a sarcastic response. Do you always try to shift the argument onto something else when you're not winning?

Wait... You haven't even read them o,o? I was just gonna let this end but that's ridiculous. I know I was winging it but geez.

Here's some excerpts from the light novels:

http://scrumptious.animeblogger.net/2008/01/28/more-than-words-more-kurenai-pimping-now-i-am-sold/

I'd say there's some pretty similiar character interaction between shinkurou and murasaki there when compared to the manga.

I'm also interested to see where you heard that the manga is a side story adapation. Some (well to be precise, all) of the discussion I've seen in other forums from people who have read the light novels say that it's just a different of ordering of events.

teferi wrote:
calawain wrote:
The thing I find the most amusing out of this whole discussion, aside from the fact that people complain that the reviews are both too diverse and too similar, is that the usual legion of ANN anti-fansub crusaders seem to be absent. One would think they would nay miss a chance to vehemently state how the watching of any fansub is evil and punishable by death!

Zac already pointed out that Fansub hatzoring is his position and not the entire staffs' position.

If anything, the one thing I find amusing is how much people are willing trash talk about the previews. It's such a completely different response than you see on any anime blog. Maybe people are expecting more ANN than they do from blogs O-o

Kinda weird considering this is the format everyone asked for the last time around =\

On that note, I think they did a great job this time and was gratified to see skew of reviews by Key, who generally out of the entire staff is the only reviewer I agree with O_o;;

Well the community has a pretty big group of fansub haters even without zac. That's what I assumed he was commenting on.
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Cat Girls, wolf girls and fox girls that do not have anthropomorphic qualities such as a muzzle and fur all over their bodies are NOT furries. Completely different type of character type.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to post a conversation from the start of lord of the rings, it's about fireworks, clearly because of that entire conversation the novel is about fireworks and it's not about some epic quest to destroy the one ring. I mean why would the main characters talk about fireworks if the novels weren't about fireworks?

From someone who has read the novels

spoiler[AFAIK the novels only contain long arcs. They are not side stories like the manga.

Spoiler for manga's timeframe:

BTW the stories in the manga set place after Kurenai (temporary) finished dealing with Murasaki's family. Murasaki doesn't need Kurenai's protection anymore. Thus you can say that Murasaki is just tagging along with Kurenai.]

+

spoiler[It follows the general guideline, but changed and add a lot of the thing. The Novel is awkward enough, the anime's change is even more odd. Especially the whole "arm might go berserk" that anime has added, it felt so random.]
Leebo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
The description for the preview guide lists Glass Maiden and Crystal Blaze. These are actually the same show.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
The description for the preview guide lists Glass Maiden and Crystal Blaze. These are actually the same show.

Whoops, fixed.
CerebralDivinity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, there has been much off-topic conversation. I was hoping for more advice on what to watch >_>
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I was really surprised to see Da Capo II: Second Season being reviewed (by Carlo) since it is neither a true "second season" nor a sequel, and it isn't supposed to be a stand-alone work. It's a direct continuation of the first 13 episodes which aired in the fourth quarter of 2007. It is literally like reviewing episode #14 of a 26 episode series divorced from the context of the previous 13 episodes. For example: "Then mysterious things happen in the last few minutes as Sakura stands near a cherry blossom tree for dramatic effect." This statement will seem rather odd to those who have seen episodes 1-13 since they know that cherry tree's power is the core plot device for the entire series. Laughing
babbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I'm going to post a conversation from the start of lord of the rings, it's about fireworks, clearly because of that entire conversation the novel is about fireworks and it's not about some epic quest to destroy the one ring. I mean why would the main characters talk about fireworks if the novels weren't about fireworks?

The point is that the best thing this series has going is Shinkurou and Murasaki's bodyguard/substitute parent relationship and the character development that comes about as a result. The moment Murasaki even starts becoming the clingy loli bait harem member that she is in the manga is the moment things start going downhill.

Quote:

From someone who has read the novels

spoiler[AFAIK the novels only contain long arcs. They are not side stories like the manga.

Spoiler for manga's timeframe:

BTW the stories in the manga set place after Kurenai (temporary) finished dealing with Murasaki's family. Murasaki doesn't need Kurenai's protection anymore. Thus you can say that Murasaki is just tagging along with Kurenai.]

+

spoiler[It follows the general guideline, but changed and add a lot of the thing. The Novel is awkward enough, the anime's change is even more odd. Especially the whole "arm might go berserk" that anime has added, it felt so random.]

Was hopng you'd have something a bit more concrete thar. For someone talking about reading comprehension you are taking quite a bit of interpretive license thar. Not only is your source unsure of him/herself but he/she makes no explicit statement along the lines that the manga is nothing more than a collection of side stories. In the same thread another person said that the manga is anachronic (that is, not in the right chronological order) as well o,o;;

A) the manga is only five chapters long B) we don't have a frame of reference for when this change started coming about. But with an understanding that character development does not happen over night, it's probably safe to assume that she will at the very least begin to head in the direction she is heading in the manga sooner rather than later.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
You do realize that supahem never corrected the other guys statement about the manga being side stories only? Also he for some reason thinks the opening scene fight in episode 1 is the stalker incident from chapter 1 of the manga. I like supahem because he's fun to talk to and released some Unbalance X Unbalance manga scans but you shouldn't take his word for gospel since there is 3 people in that thread who have read the novels and only he said the manga is out of order events from the light novels.

And that other guy only said AFAIK because iirc the 3rd light novel isn't translated into chinese yet. It's called not making a blanket statement and looking like an idiot when it's wrong.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
It's just a small thing, but perhaps worth mentioning:
The image for Carlo's review of 'Penguin no Mondai' shows a screen-capture from 'Kyouran Kazoku Nikki'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13