• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chobits (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
everyone says that Chobits is the sequel to Anglic Layer, right? Wouldn't it be convoluted to give a sequel a sequel?[/spoiler]

I haven't seen Angelic Layer, but as far as I can tell, its just a theory that they could take place in the same universe but at different times. But its really a sequel by any stretch of the imagination.

As for giving a sequel a sequel, well, its been done plenty of times before. For a recent anime example, see Nanoha StrikerS.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:32 am Reply with quote
Well, according to the manga...

spoiler[ Persocoms were created by the same guy who created the fighting robots in Angelic Layer, who happens to be that goofy, perverted scientist who was close to the main characters mother. And in accordance to that, he is technically Chii's "father".

I'll have to actually read the Angelic Layer manga to see how much to two correspond to each other. But I know the Chobits manga directly shows him and the miniature fighting robots.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
So it apparently had a cameo an reference to events in Angelic Layer that establish that they are in the same universe/time line. That still doesn't make it a sequel by any stretch of the imagination.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
No, I guess you could say not in that sense. But it is technically derived from Angelic Layer, and although it doesn't follow the same characters as AL, it is still very near the future in AL.
young98

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:06 am Reply with quote
kinda got off topic, but anyways, back on subject...
if you read the manga, chobits definitely does not have enough for a second season, though the manga progressed faster, and answered questions more crisply, everything was covered

as for the possiblites, this has been driving me crazy since the end of the series and the manga,spoiler[ it's not like i'm perverted and i want chii and hideki to get it on, but it'd be a nice end, because in my opinion, a lifelong relationship without sex isn't meaningless, but somewhat sad... even though freya (chii's sister) kept saying that she couldn't have sex because it would reset chii and she'd lose all memory, there were key scenes and lines that contradicts this.
when chii was kidnapped and hideki found her, she took his hand and put it in her "happy place" saying that only the one that's only for her can enter, it's not like others can't enter, but hideki can, which i think means that he's the only one that can enter without erasing chii's memories.
another is when it is constantly said that chii has the ability to do something, and this is besides the ability to actually love, but this ability is never shown. what is it? i don't know, but i speculate that it is the ability to deactivate that switch in her "happy place" allowing hideki to come inside without her losing her memory
even though some say that freya was adamant about the idea that chii cannot have sex, i believe this was more of a test, to prove that the only one for chii would love her for her, and not for her body, because at the end of the manga, freya asked hideki if he wanted to know what chii's ability was, and he asked if it would hurt chii if he didn't know, she replied no, and so he said he didn't have to know. this only strengthened my belief that it was the ability to deactivate the switch, and now hideki and chii can have a complete loving relationship]

sorry about "happy place" but what can i say?
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote
What's the problem if someone feels lack of Chii I suggest to read Tsubasa Chronicle at least in manga Tsubasa Chronicle Chii has more interesting personality, which is not difficult to do to tell the truth, and IQ higher than IQ of an oven. Even Freya appeared in Tsubasa Chronicle... well once only but still it's something.
demonroach

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but the main character of CHobits just makes me think he is constantly on crack the entire series. 1- he is very slow 2-he has completed dilated eyes compared to all the other characters 3- he is always hyperspasmic 4-He can't even buy underwear and he is in college. The only way there could be a 2nd season is if Chi was with a new master!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quote
demonroach wrote:
I'm sorry, but the main character of CHobits just makes me think he is constantly on crack the entire series. 1- he is very slow 2-he has completed dilated eyes compared to all the other characters 3- he is always hyperspasmic 4-He can't even buy underwear and he is in college. The only way there could be a 2nd season is if Chi was with a new master!
How many college guys do you know that can easily go into a store and buy women's underwear?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:42 am Reply with quote
I particularly liked Hideki. He wasn't one of those guys with all the girls that are generally boring in character. And I agree with Zalis -- a college guy buying women's underwear isn't strange? Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
demonroach wrote:
How many college guys do you know that can easily go into a store and buy women's underwear?

Maybe it's just me but I never saw why so many have a problem with that. I mean girls will shop for men's underwear without batting an eyelash. Yet men get choked up doing the same. Every time I have the store attendants have actually thought I was being thoughtful and it was nice that the guy would do that and even knew the woman's various sizes. It's funny when Hideki gets all red and embarrassed, as is any other guy in an anime, but outside of anime I never saw what the fuss was about.

Quote:
kinda got off topic, but anyways, back on subject...
if you read the manga, chobits definitely does not have enough for a second season, though the manga progressed faster, and answered questions more crisply, everything was covered

While I agree there is not enough material, without a lot of filler, for a second season they could potentially do a 2-3 episode OVA or movie. I think either of those would be doable but still very unlikely.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I never saw why so many have a problem with that. I mean girls will shop for men's underwear without batting an eyelash. Yet men get choked up doing the same. Every time I have the store attendants have actually thought I was being thoughtful and it was nice that the guy would do that and even knew the woman's various sizes. It's funny when Hideki gets all red and embarrassed, as is any other guy in an anime, but outside of anime I never saw what the fuss was about.

Agreed. I never saw what the fuss is about, hell, I'd be happy right now if I had a good reason to be shopping for women's underwear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tommy RKO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope I'm not too late to the party. Very Happy

I wouldn't call Hideki an idiot. He grew up on a farm where he interacted with nothing but cows for the first 18 years of his life, so his people skills were lacking. I thought it was hysterical how he'd get himself into these embarrassing predicaments, but it was fortunate for him that most everyone he met was very nice and understanding, and didn't look down upon him for it, but instead, outside of some harmless teasing, were very kind to him and he reciprocated that to them in turn.

In a way he and Chi were very similar in that they were both kind of like little children out in a great big world they could not comprehend and they were in many ways forced to learn as they went, basically by the seat of their pants.

I personally loved this anime. It's definitely in my top 5. Very funny, very heartwarming, very sweet. Anime smile
Tommy RKO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
No I'm sorry but persocoms in real life would be just wrong. It works in an anime, but let's just keep it there.

In the anime I thought the story was told masterfully. Seeing the different characters and how their lives were affected by the persocoms, both for better and for worse, was very well done, and very well told. It works as a piece of escapist fantasy, but in the real world it would be downright creepy.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:21 am Reply with quote
Good job. You just revived a thread that was nearly 5 years dead.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Just a reminder; threads linked (as this one is) in the ANN Series Discussion Index thread don't really have an expiration date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13