• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
Most definetly, he wouldn't recognize the fact that he had been spoiler[jelous of his brother abut the attention that he was getting from his parents and not only. Pretty much everybody in the Sohma familyt (I'm strictly referring to the elder ones) was very much fascinated by the fact that the mouse was born. If I remember correctly the mouse hasn't been born for a while, not to mention the whole zodiac. ] But this made the things tougher for Yuki and there are two moments that illustrate everything I said: one spoiler[he couldn't mingle with the others and I remember Yuki watching the others going to school from his car and wishing so much to be with them; the other is when he asks Ayame's help but Ayame doesn't do anything and he pretty much ignores Yuki. ]

I think that after the time that has passed Ayame feels that spoiler[he has many sins to recover from and many are done against his brother. Unfortunately. Confused ]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Sorry guys, I don't have a copy of Volume 19 yet! I am probably going to check my local Borders this weekend, so hopefully it will be here. I checked last Sunday, hoping that it would come in early, but it wasn't there yet. Sorry for the delay guys, and thanks for being so kind and waiting for us English version readers. Razz

As for the Yuki/Ayame relationship, I really love this pairing a lot. spoiler[They have very many hilarious and lighthearted moments in the series because of Ayame's personality and Yuki's "rejection" of him as his brother. But I think that the moments where you see that sibling bond coming back, such as the Parent/Teacher Conference, are the most memorable and heartfelt. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
I found it interesting how even a man like Ayame spoiler[would have to face the inner demons he had developed, but it was reasonable enough to believe to the end. And who after realizing what an atrocity they had committed would not want to mend things, or maybe bring them back to what they were before said events. Ayame realized he was missing out on a lot by not being with or trying to support his brother. It was in his right to try and see what he could do for Yuki, but the funny part here is Ayame tries to hard] Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I found it interesting how even a man like Ayame spoiler[would have to face the inner demons he had developed, but it was reasonable enough to believe to the end. And who after realizing what an atrocity they had committed would not want to mend things, or maybe bring them back to what they were before said events. Ayame realized he was missing out on a lot by not being with or trying to support his brother. It was in his right to try and see what he could do for Yuki, but the funny part here is Ayame tries to hard] Laughing

I am still surprised by what made Ayame spoiler[change his mind and start to see the people around him. I believe that even now, it resided in his mind that scene when the girl came to confess her love to him but he rejected her like she was "something" unimportant or natural for her to idolize him. And Hatori says something to him and Shigure (can't remeber what Embarassed) but still he doesn't react only much later. ]

I believe that in some parts Ayame felt a little bit spoiler[superior to the others which Yuki in spite of being the mouse doesn't do. But with a friend like Hatori (poor guy Shocked -being called by Ayame everyday isn't something I would call "fun" after a while Very Happy) he stops being so insensitive and starts to see the world around him. He realizes that he hurt the most his brother and that he has to try hard a reconciliation. ]

But as fighterholic said, he tries to do that just a little too hard. Laughing spoiler[Remember the scene that takes place after the teacher/ parents conference, that Ayame meets Nabe and what a show was there where Nabe would embrace Ayame while Ayame is feeling a little bit like he used to feel. Very Happy And those pompous words that he uses when he tries to connect to Yuki. Laughing You feel like he is a little bit crazy. Laughing Or a lot!]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
As the series progresses however, you can see that spoiler[their relationship is not what it was at the beginning. Though, I cannot tell whether there was truly a hate from Yuki towards Ayame, or whether it was just that he was irritated by him whenever Ayame tried to resolve things between him and Yuki. However, it was still good overall for Yuki to know that at least somebody from his family wanted to talk to him and treat him with dignity and respect, not like he had been in his earlier years, and how he still was being treated by his parents.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
i'm back!

i think that Yuki spoiler[got the same vibe from Ayame that he got from his mother (and perhaps his father). he felt that he was being sold for his families happiness, and Ayame's indifference didn't help. ]

Ayame(spoilers for 19)spoiler[was just concieted when he was in high school. in the story he tells to Yuki about the girl from the other school, Hatori's comments drove the point home. while he is still fairly arrogant, he has grown past the insensityvity that resulted from it.]

and i have not recieved my copy of 19 yet.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I think for other reasons as well Ayame realized how precious things could be and how it would really hurt to lose them and feel the pain of it, as well as the guilt. He lost out on one situation, but at least he had the opportunity to try and mend the other. I think though he also had to have the support of Mine when he was having to go through all this as well.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:

Ayame(spoilers for 19)spoiler[was just concieted when he was in high school. in the story he tells to Yuki about the girl from the other school, Hatori's comments drove the point home. while he is still fairly arrogant, he has grown past the insensityvity that resulted from it.]

And not just that. He also succeeds in being finally honest about everything, thus creating another brotherly moment. spoiler[He tells Yuki how important Mine is for him and at the same time what a huge part she has played in his life. Not to mention the fact that it was one of the few serious discussions that Yuki and Ayame have during the series. Laughing It is also one of my favourite Ayame - Yuki moments because (let's face it) it is an open discussion and Yuki feels more at ease; so much that he aks Ayame whether Mine knows about his trasnformation into a snake at which point Ayame of course changes the subject. Very Happy] Which is extraordinary coming from him!!!!

As for Mine, I too believe that she played a major role in being alongside Ayame. spoiler[She is a lot like Tohru because just as Tohru takes care of the others so does Mine with Ayame; she seems to be somekind of safety net for Ayame thus making all the things better for Ayame and making him trust more himself in approaching his brother. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
A very good point indeed. spoiler[At first Mine was just somebody who came to work at Ayame's shop, but obviously over time it seems that they came closer and at the same time, she helped him to remind him of what was important in life. Had it not been for her he wouldn't have remembered Yuki. ]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I think that this happens because Mine couldn't be called a "beauty" as Ayame thinks of himself and even more spoiler[she seems a regular type of person (though she has a certain madness to be so close to Ayame Laughing ), a person that Ayame might not have noticed; and yet she has such a kind heart that she is just bound to change his ideas. Furthermore she is alongside Tohru one of the most eager persons to see Ayame and Yuki get back together and become true brothers. Remember the episode when Yuki went for the first time to see Ayame's shop? She told Tohru that all she wanted was to see them reconcilliated. Or something like that... Embarassed ]

By the way, it is interesting to observe that Ayame chooses different methods to get close to his brother again. I remember a scene when Yuki rememorates his childhood and he says that spoiler[he didn't interact with the other members of the zodiac, not even with the "person that was supposed to be my brother" (a very rough translation). Wow! I believe that this type of affirmations just showed what a huge gap existed between Yuki and Ayame if they were so enstranged. ] Moreover Ayame tries to get close to Yuki by spoiler[telling all the stories from high school to impress Yuki. And he didn't even realized that he was far from gaining Yuki's respect. Very Happy I laughed seeing Yuki's thoughts going towards Hatori who must have endured a lot with Ayame and Shigure. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
The stories of old were also one thing I thought about spoiler[in the fact that Ayame is going to have to work even harder to try and get the respect of his brother. Those were some pretty crazy stories, and I could tell Shigure would have fun participating in them as well. But I can't help but wonder if maybe the influence of Shigure would be one reason why Ayame would act the way he would back then, he certainly encouraged him.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Totally agree on this one. Shigure's spoiler[influence may be spotted there, but there is also something more to this: to a certain extent, Shigure and Ayame share the same superficilaity with which they look at the world. (Well, it is very difficult to characterize Shigure anyways Shocked ) So maybe that Ayame wasn't so much influenced by Shigure as encouraged to take this path; perhaps that Shigure was doing the same thing. (Don't you find Shigure so mysterious? There are so few details about his past or his errors from the past - I always felt that he acted more like a God to the jyuiinishi than Akito herself)]

Anyways, back to Ayame and Yuki.... I think that besides Mine, there was also Hatori spoiler[to help Ayame realize the errors against his brother. Hatori is the one that Ayame admires the most and his words were bound to reach Ayame sooner or later. ] Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I would tend to think of Hatori as spoiler[one of the bridges between Yuki and Ayame, now that you mention it. If I'm not mistaken there were times when Yuki would talk to Hatori about his brother, and Hatori would give him words of encouragement and advice how to deal with Ayame. And of course Hatori would have his issues with Ayame, which was certainly nothing new.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, Hatori is spoiler[everything what Ayame is not and at the same time he has an another advantage over Ayame: he's not in his situation therefore he can offer an objective advice and he can help his friend doing as much as he can. It is interesting to see that due also to his friendship with Shigure, Hatori is much more present in Yuki's life than Ayame and he's able to know him just a little better for Ayame's sake. ]Hatori's patience is extraordinary! Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, since we have looked at Ayame's side of things, what about Yuki's side of things? Yuki spoiler[has obviously felt at times disgusted with having to deal with his brother because of all the funny things that Ayame will do to him, but we do find in the end after all the stress and anguish that he causes Yuki, Yuki still finds time to smile and say something to Ayame. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 114 of 170