• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Hey all, it's been a while since I've been on the forum. I'm in a bit of a bind regarding Psycho Pass. For those of you who purchased the Premium Edition, do you feel it was worth the price? I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go for the collectors set or just go with the regular release. I'm a collector at heart, so I'm not opposed to spending money; however, I'm trying to be a bit more selective.

Also, the fact that there's a re-edited version out has me wondering if they will release this new "directors cut" down the line.

Wow, seeing Surrender Artist post about going for the Attack on Titan collectors set has giving me the itch for it as well. I wish I could feel as strongly for that show as many seem to, but the wave didn't hit me as much as let's say, JoJo's and Kill La Kill. I think the fact that the show felt too dragged (bad pacing) out kind of lessened my enthusiasm for it. Perhaps, if they would've tightened it up rather than expending it for more episodes than it warranted, it would have had a bigger impact on me.

Last edited by Guren Alchemist4 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
^ I bought the Premium Edition and it looks awesome on the shelf, but regarding the fact if it was worth it or not, I guess that all depends on how big of a fan you are of the show. I'm a huge fan and have absolutely no regrets about purchasing it at all.

The extras are nice, but not that spectacular really. The only extra that I'm currently using is the keychain and I haven't even listened to the soundtrack yet (but I don't really listen to CDs that often anyway), but I knew beforehand that I'd barely use the extras and still pre-ordered it the minute that it was available. The only thing that looks a bit flimsy though is the plastic ID card holder.

So basically it all depends! If you're a fan of the show and don't mind spending more money then by all means, go for it.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the input Ortensia1980. I do like the show a lot. It's one of my favorites in recent years, and the fact that it's doesn't follow the same tired storyline that we see each anime season is a huge plus making me want to support it even more. If they would've added an art book or something of the sort, my trigger finger wouldn't be as hesitant.

I'm going to go ahead and order the Premium edition tomorrow. I'm curious to see what sale Right Stuf will put up tomorrow since I like to purchase in bulk. haha
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
The Premium edition is really only twenty dollars more than buying both regular sets on their own.

Extras arent really much other than the CD and the Keychain (which I did use for a short time, but the logo scratches off easy).

If anything it looks really nice to display or even just put on the shelf (I also got Gen Urobuchi to sign it at AX which is a HUGE plus), and given that it isnt that much more than the regular editions I'd say its worth it. I'd only say it isnt if it costed like $50 more bucks than the regular editions
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
@Guren Alchemist4 a good friend of mine brought over his copy of Psycho-Pass shortly after release. It was one solid looking premium set. I think the box design itself was even textured. Very nice collection piece for the cash, and if you are into trinkets there are plenty.

The only thing I think that could have been touched up a bit was the actual Blu-ray DISCS themselves. A lot of the FUNimation sets I've seen recently have such generic looking designing on the discs, most of the time just the BDs. I'm a big fan of pretty looking discs I favor that over hard boxes and such (for example the remastered Berserk set from years back has some of the most gorgeous designs I've ever seen).
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Glad to be of service, Guren Alchemist4! I really do love that set so I'm glad that I could help you make a decision.

luffypirate85 wrote:
The only thing I think that could have been touched up a bit was the actual Blu-ray DISCS themselves. A lot of the FUNimation sets I've seen recently have such generic looking designing on the discs, most of the time just the BDs. I'm a big fan of pretty looking discs I favor that over hard boxes and such (for example the remastered Berserk set from years back has some of the most gorgeous designs I've ever seen).

I forgot all about that actually, but I hardly ever pay attention to that kind of thing to be honest. I think that they fitted with the overal dark setting of the show.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333, you're right. When you breakdown the price, it's really not that much more. The OST alone would make up the difference along with the nice collectors box. I'm a bit jealous you actually have a signed copy. haha I've always wanted to get something I own signed, but I never get the chance to go to big anime events.

luffypirate85, nice disks are a plus, but it's not something that typically catches my attention. I usually just pop in the disk and hope i don't get a lemon. hahah Now you have me curious though. I'll have to take closer look from now on.

Nothing eye catching today from on Right Stuf, so my order will be strictly Funimation based. Thanks for the help everyone.
supercreep

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm considering picking up the two Patlabor Japanese blu-rays, but I can't decide. Maiden Japan put out the first OVA and TV series, so at the time I assumed that the movies would logically be next but nothing seems to have come of that. I'm not sure how much longer I'm comfortable waiting.

Edit: Also considering the Ghost in the Shell: Innocence blu-ray, something that i've gone back and forth on for a long time. I'm fairly certain it has english subs, but I'm not 100%
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Now that it's up on Right Stuf, considering getting The Eccentric Family. When I was at Otakon, I went to a panel called "new anime for older fans" as I don't watch too many new anime really. This was one that they mentioned and that caught my eye, but I also need to know if it's pure comedy or if it's more than that (and also what type of comedy if it is, I like my comedy mostly character driven and not "BEWBS! HA!" driven)
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
If you're worried about "BEWBS! HA!" - trust me, that's not this type of show. The series presents itself as a slice of life comedy with whimsical supernatural elements, restrained in pacing and contemplative in tone with bursts of frenetic energy here and there. It is rich in its storytelling and characters and slowly crafts an emotional narrative with some powerful, cathartic moments. You should definitely give it a try. It's a beautiful series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:22 am Reply with quote
So... does it eventually have a story or just character development instead? Though for a 13 episode series, picking one or the other seems like a good plan.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
First, thank you for letting me know Eccentric Family is finally available for ordering. I'll be getting it at some point. It was one of my favourite shows the year it came out. It definitely has a story as well as having character development. I can't assure you that you will like/love the series because the show is a little ... well, eccentric ... so I recommend you sample an eppie or two. I think CR might still be carrying it.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll be picking up Gundam Unicorn 6 & 7 very soon. Right Stuf has placed counters on the blu-ray sets. Just a heads up for those interested in this OVA release.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
School Days the infamous is in RightStuf's Halloween sale so yeah, I'm totally considering it.... I feel like most people who knew they wanted it bought it right away while people who hated it avoided it like the plague and can't believe it got released here (well, no one could) but am I getting into Genma Wars sort of bad here? Which, btw, I tried to show Genma Wars to my friend and he said "You said it was bad. This, this is just....just awful, I need to leave the room before any more of my brain cells die". What kind of "special" is School Days that I'd be getting myself into here?
lem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
^I would watch a few episodes of it on CR first before buying it. It was a one and done for me. spoiler[I'll probably never revisit it after having experienced the ending (Which is the only reason I bothered with it (after reading about it here on ANN)). Probably just me, but I think this conclusion would have had even more impact if the characters were older?I thought it was a pretty visceral and brutal one. So much so that it seemed out of place for the characters. But that's just me?]

If you don't already have access or a subscription and you want to go that route I'd be happy to give you a Guest Pass code. Just let me know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 115 of 132