• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
Had a miserable day yesterday so went to Forbidden Planet in Glasgow on my way home. Came out with XXXHolic Rei 2, Alice in the Country of Joker Circus and Liar's Game 6 and Madoka Magica The Different Story 3.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Nisekoi, Vol. 6 (manga, Viz, Barnes & Noble)

Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 1 (Blu-ray, Diskotek, FYE)
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Won a couple of eBay items tonight:

Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid complete with the art box! Which I simply needed because it had to match the other two, which are singles with art box
Wolf's Rain complete Legends set. I find it weird that I know the actual picture is sideways, but most official things (like on here for example) show a different image, did it get released twice or something? But I've seen that legends set irl quite a while back so I know it exists with the sideways picture (the isbn also matches). Soul Eater has a similar problem in that generic images show a different cover than the official one, why is this? Is it changed after that image gets released but before it's printed or something? I've also seen pictures of the bootleg version and I know it's not that so I should be safe there.
Anyway, this series had better live up the hype or I'm gonna be rather annoyed.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
@lem yeah that is the one. The bonuses are mindblowing for Amazon.co.jp items you think would be exclusive to some place like Animate!

The shelf is secure thank god it's so top heavy with about 150 discs populating the upper half. I was thinking about trying to hunt down another shelf same make and model. It was from Target. Having one on each some of the television would be amazing. Tons of space I highly doubt I could buy another 150 import discs. I'm running out of favorites.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Picked up Nisekoi 6, Blue Exorcist 12 and Tegami Bachi 17 in town earlier.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Damn you Owly constantly reminding me about volumes I had forgotten had been released; I now need to pick up Blue Exorcist 12.

In the mean time Claymore 25 arrived today... It's only my most anticipated release of the year! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Claymore Volume 25
Ghost in the Shell Volume 1.5
lem

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
here's the newest addition to my small collection of office supply wielding badasses

Spirited Away in blu also showed up.

@luffypirate85,

dude,

"there's no running out of favorites in anime." - T. Hanks Anime cry

just the money for all of the ones we won't be able to get. Laughing
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
@lem I gotta get that Spirited Away disc soon I'm dying to watch it in JP for the first time. Crazy but I've only heard the ENG dub! I've compiled a NICE list of discs to ask for for Christmas. The current exchange rate is really going to help out can't believe I used to pay $75 USD after shipping for each film. Shaves out about $25 USD now. Lem, keep an eye on your inbox I'm going to send you some pictures of my stuff soon I've been meaning to show you. I don't think I'll be doing a Shelf Life submission for a while there are far too many holes in my collection Sad
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I had a $15 gift certificate from Crunchyroll all year without using it (Well, I did, but I ordered a set that ended up getting cancelled, so the certificate was returned) and I figured "WTF, let's get the Halloween Mystery Box".

30 discs for $30 (minus $15 gc, + $5 shipping)
It's a spectacular use of shelf space, that's for sure.
And a spectacular reason for Right Stuff to clear theirs of unwanted Geneon/Pioneer old product.

4 movies

Appleseed (2004)
Armitage: Dual Matrix
eX-Driver: The Movie
Submarine 707 Revolution: The Movie

Last Exile Vols. 1-3
Gun-X-Sword Vols. 1 & 6
Gregory Horror Show Vols. 1 & 2 (of 3?)

8 other first volumes:
Rumiko Takahashi Anthology: Primal Needs (1)
Space Pirate Captain Harlock: The Endless Odyssey (1)
The Melody of Oblivion (1)
The Law of Ueki (1)
Trigun Remix (1)
Texhnolyze (1)
Burn-Up Scramble (1)
Someday's Dreamers (1)

11 other middle/late volumes
3x3 Eyes (2)
Doki Doki School Hours (2)
Heat Guy J (2 & 7)
L/R: Licensed by Royalty (3 & 4)
Saiyuki Reload (2)
The Soultaker (3)
X (4)
Zipang (4)
K-on! (4 - the only non Geneon/Pioneer disc)

Not a total waste of money... but close, about 3/5 are disposable and the rest are just tolerable as show samplers and one-watch-and-done stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
Alright so I've been hooked on Pokemon TCG this past week. A co-worker of mine got me into heading to Walmart after work to swoop up a booster pack or two. Got a holo Diancie in my first package (all Phantom Forces, the newest expansion) so it kinda encouraged me to keep buying...nine boosters later (also digital due to the redemption code in each bringing my total opened packages to 18 and total spendings at $36) I've pulled FOUR ultra rare cards. Two EX Pokemon (Manectric EX and MEGA Manectric EX) two of them elusive "full arts" variants (Both Lysandre and AZ supporter cards). I check the odds online and its 1:18 packages so I've totally squashed that probability. The initial goal was to get a Mega Gengar to use in a deck I've got an Elite Trainer Box on the way in the mail (a small college graduation present from my girlfriend so I didn't add it into the total spendings) so who knows. If not I still have a sweet collection of cards, both physical and digital at my disposal. Good god this shit is addictive pulling two rares in one booster is a total rush. If anyone here plays online send me your info!

@Spastic Minnow Melody of Oblivion is one of my absolute favorites hope you enjoy. Enokido is a genius.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
I knew TRSI's 3rd Wave would come with more temptations. But as I lamented in the other thread, I didn't expect the Utena MegaDeal to come along -- for a show that I've seen three times and am buying for the third time, because even at standard TRSI studio sale prices + Got Anime (which rarely happens for Nozomi items anyway), it'd still be $11 more than this deal.

Also in the same order, a few of Sentai's greatest apparent non-hits:

Akane iro ni Somaru Saka (S)
Dream Eater Merry (Hyb)
Happiness! DVD (S)
Photo Kano (S)

More fanservice and VN adaptations, including the completion in my collection of the Spring 2006 Haruhi Trinity via Happiness!'s Haruhi Kamisaka (to go along with Haruhi Suzumiya and Haruhi Fujioka). Dream Eater Merry, well... yeah, source book fans were probably right in their criticism of JC Staff on this 325-minute commercial, but I liked the concept, the OP, and some of the comedy. Plus, DEM's price reduction vs. the MSRP is unlikely to recur anytime soon.

luffypirate85 wrote:
@Spastic Minnow Melody of Oblivion is one of my absolute favorites hope you enjoy. Enokido is a genius.
I'm not sure I'd put it in my absolute favorites, but I did find it enjoyable in that "Beautiful Chaotic Mess" kind of way. They don't call it "Revolutionary Boy Bocca" for nothing. Plus, Rightstuf still has bundles of all 6 discs for 30, or you can get just 2-6 for... also $30. Something tells me it wasn't a great seller for Geneon, imagine that. Heck, even getting a redundant vol. 1 to get the artbox wouldn't set me back much at all, even though it came out nine and a half years ago!
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Just tracked down and bought a copy of Escaflowne (TV).

I have long loved it but didn't realise how hard it had got to find. It's one of those things I just assumed would always be around.

@classicalzawa
The sideways thing is a bit odd, isn't it? (I have the same set.) But didn't Media Blasters do some similar covers? (My memory fails...) I find it hard to imagine that you'll be disappointed with Wolf's Rain, by the way. Count me with the chorus: for me, it belongs in a surprisingly smallish group of TV series that I think about often and have a recurring urge to rewatch. (Like, for me, Fantastic Children...)

Last edited by ailblentyn on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Just tracked down and bought a copy of Escaflowne (TV).

I have long loved it but didn't realise how hard it had got to find. It's one of those things I just assumed would always be around.

I hope you found it for a somewhat reasonable price, as Funimation is eventually supposed to re-release it. But apparently it takes at least 18-24 months to re-release something that already has existing translations and dubs. The only thing on that list that's even solicited is Cowboy Bebop on 12/16.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1168 of 1401