• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I get the CR "lock up" problem as well and I have very good internet connection. At one point I could pretty much be guaranteed of getting locked up at least once during any given episode. It doesn't seem quite as inevitable these days, but still happens enough to be annoying.

Do you happen to remember when you first noticed the Funi artifacting problem, Alan? It's only been a couple of weeks for me.
geishageek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I noticed this same problem at the beginning of last season's episodes with both Funi and Crunchy players on the xbox 360 app. What I found out was that my HD stream would start out as SD and adjust to HD in the first 10 seconds of the show, thus creating the artifacts at the beginning. Every single time I started an episode; even if I just finished one in HD the next would start SD and adjust. Not sure if the same thing may be happening in the web streams though as I haven't use them in months.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I stream CR through my laptop and haven't had the artifacting problem with them - just the lock up. And with Funi, I don't think you get the option to choose your video quality, do you?
geishageek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
With Funi's web player, you can. It offers SD, HD720 or HD1080 as long as that specific show has those options (tested this out with Heroic Legend of Arslan). Shows like Ergo Proxy (just happen to be in the middle of a rewatch and other older titles) only offer SD streaming. I have my Funi 360 app set to stream the highest version possible (most are only 720), but they still ALL start in SD for me. It is very noticeable when you have subs in the first few seconds, as they start large and fuzzy and become smaller and crisper when the switch happens. That goes for both Crunchy and Funi and their 360 apps.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
I've noticed the psychedelic line bit for a few seconds in Funimation's playback since at least the middle of last season. What Geshia Geek is describing seems to be something different.

I access both Funimation and Crunchyroll from my computer direct through the internet. No app was required for either. Crunchyroll automatically starts at the highest resolution available for a show. If you want a lower resolution you have to select it. I know because I had to do that when I was still on a DSL line. I haven't noticed what Funimation does. Good picture quality regardless.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
@ Geishageek - I never noticed the option to select visual quality on the Funi player. It shows up very faintly on my monitor. If I wasn't actively looking for it, I would never have noticed. I did a few tests and when I start a stream, it seems to default to whatever the highest quality is.

@Alan45 - with CR, you can select what quality video to use as a default in your user settings. I'm not sure I actually knew that before, but I checked it out when you mentioned CR starts out at the highest quality possible because that wasn't happening for me. SD was the default. I honestly don't remember if I set my preference for that, or if that was always the default and I never changed it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
I'll be darned you can set the default, mine is set to 1080P. The only thing I can think of is that this is a question asked when I first signed up as I've never seen that screen before. I certainly didn't set it there.

I just checked Funimation. You can set the default there if you are patient enough.

When you are logged in click on your user name in the upper right of the main page. Then click on "My Account", then "Site and Profile Settings", then "General" and finally "Video Settings". Mine was set at 720P and Dubbed which I didn't set. I don't think they asked. I changed it to 1080P and Subbed.

Also on Funimation if you click on "Watch Episodes" there is a place where you can set resolution. Also as noted in the player itself you can change it in the lower left of the player. None of this is hard to find if you look for it but it is not easy. The place in the player is especially hard to find. I wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't said it was there.

Last edited by Alan45 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Found 3 soundtracks for Escaflowne and Kingdom Hearts II in fantastic condition at Goodwill on Saturday. I haven't actually seen Escaflowne, but I still picked up the soundtracks anyway; I figured if anything else the music would inspire me to watch the show. Razz
Eri94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I got this a few days ago...

And this came in the mail today!

AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Motto To Love Ru on Bluray.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Received from Anime Sols via Right Stuf

Creamy Mami volumes 2, 3 and 4.

Anime Sols Requiescat in Pace.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I got a few nice things today:

Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan vol 7
Oriko Magica: The Different Story
Puelli Magi Madoka Magica The Movie: Rebellion

I don't remember the cover art being listed as by aokiumi in the solicitation, so that was a great surprise. I almost immediately rewatched it and I think I've got my head wrapped around that ending. Now for sequel to come out and tell me my theory's completely wrong.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
Just preordered the Free! Matsuoka Rin PVC Figure Very Happy Release date is set at the end of August, but knowing Alter it will probably be pushed back. As long as I get it, I don't really care though.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
Picked up Library Wars 13, Midnight Secretary 6 and Gestalt 8 in town.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Seems I've been a big spender today.

First off, Otakon 2015 registration! I'm getting the badge mailed, worth it to me.

And then, the Clockwork Apple Kickstarter. I remember that last Tezuka Kickstarter, I said if there were any merchandise with Rock on it (my fav Tezuka character and just one of my fav manga characters period), I would totally buy it. So I'm doing the $78 pledge to get that hat! Hopefully we'll also hit the Brave Dan stretch goal (we've almost hit the initial goal as it! And in like, two-three days!) and I'll get that too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1193 of 1401