• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Add Naruto Shippūden in U.S.

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
DELETE

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
that may be the case but for die hard dubbers like myself is a serious concern.
Just like the ediots in Congress trying to take over Health Care, Viz had awakened the sleeping giant after it was laid to rest when Funi licensed One Piece. I wont be susprised that they go belly hop like CPM for doing something so completely stupid.They got into trouble with fans for debunking the dubs for Ranma 1/2 & for Eyeshield 21, so this kind of 4kids decision is going to ruin their rep & the series for the US,make people watch fansubs or abridged spoofs even more and haved the uncut dub epsiodes on DVD pirated and illegaly streamed more times than one piece which is the most pirated series period.

Then I guess it's up to the viewers in the 72 million homes (theoretcial reach of the channel) to pick up the slack and support the title. :lol

FUNi needs to do some serious talking to these guys imo.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure whether to be amused or depressed by the irrational hatred in this thread. I wonder if that comment will get me called a fake fan too, even though I've been aware of and watching anime since 1997. It is interesting that none of the haters of this news have managed to recall that Naruto once aired with a TV-Y7 rating on Cartoon Network. But for some, this will supposedly be the apocalypse for anime on TV.

Funny, I seem to recall all of this nonsense being said in reference to Dragon Ball Z about ten years ago. No, I'm not making a direct comparison between that and Naruto, but the point is there. So many fans got into anime through something that was on television, and yet so many so-called "fans" would rather cling to the alleged purity of an uncut episode than see a good show get seen by hordes of new viewers on a cable network. No, I'm not mocking dislike of hack dubs. I'm talking about freaking out over some ten year old kid not seeing as much blood on television as you do on your uncut DVD or legal stream.

People go "ewww, Disney!" And then they ignore that a cartoon airing on this channel right now, Spectacular Spider Man, is allowed to be violent.

The truth is that the target demographic for the channel is exactly the same as Toonami's was. It's targeting boys 6-14. Cartoon Network doesn't have Toonami anymore. Adult Swim skews older and airs all of its anime at a very late timeslot that is inaccessible for a lot of people. Cartoon Network also is not, in the opinion of a lot of people, giving enough attention to its animated programming in general, due at least in part to its experimentation with "CN Real" live action shows. Naruto hasn't been airing there for awhile, and it wasn't going to come back. They had One Piece and let it go. You get the idea. Cartoon Network was never in the running for this.

It is long, long past time to get past the idea that Cartoon Network is the one and only home for anime on television. Things have changed. Its priorities are different now. So it was Disney's network, or Nick, or nothing. I suppose SyFy too, although it isn't clear to me that Rave Master is anything besides an exception at this point. In any case though, wishing for nothing is truly insane. So yeah, not to beat a dead horse, but if you hate it so much go watch your legal stream. Disney is courting viewers that don't post here anyway.

Naruto is very popular right now, and it deserved a home. And to the extent that this brings in new fans, this is a very good thing. And it's silly to judge how it will be when no one has any way of knowing whatsoever until it actually airs. It's really no more or less complicated than that.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
Yeah you know alot of the appeal for Shippuden is that it was alot more mature then the original and with Disney as the channel showing it it's gonna be edited all to hell.

I's official. I'm gonna scream "BLOODY MURDER' on this.

This is like a nightmare case senario. First ADV film and Central Part Media going belly hop wasn't bad enough but this???

Can somebody say "4kids One Piece version Part 2"???

Even i know it's going to get the 4kids treatment. If it was on CN, it wouldn't be as severly edited like with Naruto and it's better off on CN or it's AS block cause i don't see the sense of CN showing the Naruto movies if their not gonna bring it's sequel.

This is going to fail as worse as the 4kids debacle cause this will have people watching it's subbed version on hulu more and that 4kids TV version less in droves.Not to mentioned this news will have rippers streaming the dvd version on theit websites. In fact i actually found dub versions ep 1-4 on sites like myspace,veoh and megavideo a month ago.now it'll be out in spades meaning less viewers for the TV version and less money for viz.

I don't know about you guys but unless this news is false, i'll be on hulu watching it's subbed version(which will be the first anime i ever watched subbed) and then buy the DVD for the uncut dub version.

Also i'll be setting up a petition requesting that they (viz) change their minds and either rebroadcast it on AS/CN or don't show it on TV at all cause it may mean the end for the US dubbing if a 4kids style version of this shows on TV.

Maybe watch it before making judgements. Also viz would of put it on cn or adult swim if they wanted but cn wants no anime that doesn't have a toy attatch to it and adult swim just didn't like naruto. And why "4kids One piece" part 2? One piece only had the tv version availble while viz has itunes, legal subs, uncut dvds. Just because cn airs the movies doesn't mean they have or want shippuden.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
that may be the case but for die hard dubbers like myself is a serious concern.

It's the same response on the Official Naruto Shippuden newspage

Just like the ediots in Congress trying to take over Health Care, Viz had awakened the sleeping giant after it was laid to rest when Funi licensed One Piece. I wont be susprised that they go belly hop like CPM for doing something so completely stupid.They got into trouble with fans for debunking the dubs for Ranma 1/2 & for Eyeshield 21, so this kind of 4kids decision is going to ruin their rep & the series for the US,make people watch fansubs or abridged spoofs even more and haved the uncut dub epsiodes on DVD pirated and illegaly streamed more times than one piece which is the most pirated series period.

And they never dubbed eyeshiled 21
Ghiblix2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
this is easily the best thing that could have happened to the anime industry this year if anything.

I groaned a bit when disney acquired Marvel but disney will have little to do with content at marvel other than giving it massive funding to do things right. I mean who honestly can watch the shoddy animation found in Marvel dvd releases? Just complete garbage.

The anime industry's biggest obstacle in America has always been the lack of a large cannon in which it can be advertise and grow a true fan base beyond the likes of people like ourselves. Not to mention the crippling costs of producing, dubbing, or licensing for meager profits if not losses.

This is a great thing.

Not to mention, Disney owns studios that are involved with more mature things as well, and they don't have Mickey running around either.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Eyeshield 21 had 5 dubbed episodes on Jetstream from Dec. 2007-Jan. 2008.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
How did CN lose the rights? It's the same bloody show, it's not a completely different new anime series! Jesus Christ.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Ghiblix2 wrote:
This is easily the best thing that could have happened to the anime industry this year if anything.

You are one hundred percent correct. Right now there is a infant network that is showing an anime show. Disney XD doesn't have very many other shows, they may be willing to take other anime shows, like DBZ or Bleach or maybe even One Piece. They may be edited but they are going to bring people into the fan base. Maybe the age group doesn't have money, but it is amazing what a kid can get there mom to buy at Walmart. We should be rejoicing not spoiler[ bitching ] about who got the show. You can still get it uncut all over the place, legally.

40 dollars for a 13 episode set sounds like a good deal to me, thats cheaper than a lot of other shows, and the price will only go down.
Bell02

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Disney's got their eyes set on Anime now as well?

I still think it's funny, but cool. If only they would snatch away Wolverine and the X-men and Ironman away as well. Plus putting on One Piece would be greater than all of those. Just the more time they take back from Zack and Cody, and their other live-trash, and bring it back to cartoons (and even their cartoons like Gargoyles) the better.

I still think Disney should turn Spectrobes into an Anime, and remake Gargoyles into a Teen/young adult targeting series.

Still, I'm all for Naruto as long as they try to maintain similar standards of editing content to Cartoon Network. (Because honestly, if Cartoon Network wants to ruin themselves and re-organize themselves to be joe-every kids channel like every other turner channel then fine, I can still watch Disney Anime hyper and the Avatar the Last Airbender channel)

Last edited by Bell02 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Eyeshield 21 had 5 dubbed episodes on Jetstream from Dec. 2007-Jan. 2008.

but viz didn't dub it. I know it had a dub
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
How did CN lose the rights? It's the same bloody show, it's not a completely different new anime series! Jesus Christ.

CN just didn't renew the rights
chonji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I still do not why people are complaining. First people were complaining for Shippuden to be on t.v.; now that is going to happend still the complaints. If you are concern with the editing just get the dvd or watch the episodes on hulu, naruto.viz.com, crunchyroll, etc.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
It's also evident in the way they package anime in America, now a days. It's thrifty and poorly made, not challenging to find and collectible any more.

true that. what ever happened artboxes or special gifts with first pressings? thats mainly the reason why i got into collecting anime, not just to watch the show. they could at least make the boxes better than cheap stockboard. god damn i miss geneon Mad
Bell02

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
It's also evident in the way they package anime in America, now a days. It's thrifty and poorly made, not challenging to find and collectible any more.

true that. what ever happened artboxes or special gifts with first pressings? thats mainly the reason why i got into collecting anime, not just to watch the show. they could at least make the boxes better than cheap stockboard. god damn i miss geneon Mad

I think it's because they weren't selling like they were pre-dot com bust, hence why thin box sets are in and collectible tins are out. Still, I don't think shows like this are ever really meant to be purchased, there are just way too many episodes. (especially in Japan where they only stick on a few per disk)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 16