• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School-Live! (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
While I don't share Cam0's reaction to the series, I at least find his (her?) explanation for her reaction to be reasonable.

(And I agree with killjoy_the that the way the girls reacted to Taromaru's death was more the emotional part than Taromaru actually dying, at least for a known dog-hater like me. Wink)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
There are two ways to look at the vaccines reaction to Taromaru.

- The vaccine was created for humans, and though it worked on Taromaru curing him of his zombification, it also killed him. One way to look at this, is if you give your cat Advantix (flea treatment for dogs) it is a good way to kill your cat or make it deathly sick. Cats can use Advantage, but not Advantix. Advantix will cure your cat of fleas, but it is a toxic brew to the cat's health.

- The vaccine cured Taromaru of his zombification, but it couldn't cure all the physical damage that occurred because of the zombies physical assault, and the accumulating damage to bodily tissues and organs caused by the zombification process.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
- The vaccine cured Taromaru of his zombification, but it couldn't cure all the physical damage that occurred because of the zombies physical assault, and the accumulating damage to bodily tissues and organs caused by the zombification process.

That's what I figured. Kurumi never fully turned, by Taromaru did and we know how zombies decay. Even if not outwardly obvious, his internal organs could have been too far gone.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
My question never got answered - was that Taroumaru re-zombified who dug himself up at the end, or was it the supposed other dog that looks just like Taroumaru who dug up the hat for some reason.

Is that the dog that was running along by itself in the end credits, following Yuki's scent into the next season? Very Happy
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Yuki's hat was on top of the grave. It wasn't dug up.

And yeah, that's the 2nd dog that Taromaru sacrificed himself to help.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The fan made theories on why Taroumaru died anyway, yet didn't zombify are great and all, but in my opinion, if the series doesn't address them, it counts as a plot hole. The writers should have mentioned it in passing. Instead, when they talk about how he's passed on, they just say that he... died. Not from anything in particular.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The show has established that the zombies aren't completely dead. At the very least their brains still function to an extent so since Taromaru died completely he wasn't going to come back.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Yuki's hat was on top of the grave. It wasn't dug up.

They put the hat on top of the wrapped body and threw dirt on it. Though we didn't see it, I assume they finished the job.

It was dug up and put it at the foot of Megune's cross, which was several feet away from Taroumaru's grave.

Vaisaga wrote:
The show has established that the zombies aren't completely dead.

Has it? Megune and other victims seem to get chewed up significantly when they're attacked, and given how long it took for Kurumi to even show signs of infection, I'd think they would die of blood loss by then. I don't see why whatever is animating them in the first place couldn't animate their brain function to a very limited degree as well. I never had the impression that the virus merely impaired living people to the point of making them seem like shambling corpses.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
All these theories are so valid, but not even hinted toward. It's a confusing narrative choice, but if you ask me, he should have rezombified in any case. The vaccine wasn't enough to "cure" the zombification. That should leave him as a zombie.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
All these theories are so valid, but not even hinted toward. It's a confusing narrative choice, but if you ask me, he should have rezombified in any case. The vaccine wasn't enough to "cure" the zombification. That should leave him as a zombie.

spoiler[From the source material, Tomoumaru was a one chapter character that was put in well before the beginning of what culminates in the Graduation story of events, the dog gets zombified and has an otherwise ambiguous conclusion (they tell Yuki "he won't be around anymore")
As for the anti-zombie drug, it doesn't cure the zombification and only subdues the symptoms.]
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I felt the show had a nice conclusion and was satisfying overall. I'm hoping for more, but we'll have to see the sales. Though it did propel manga sales by a lot, so maybe there's hope there. Still, even if it doesn't get another season, it told a complete character arc. I'm satisfied with it.

Question, though. Back when they found the spoiler[evacuation manual], there was also spoiler[a CD]. Was this followed up on in the source material (if it existed in it)? Or am I forgetting something in the anime? I'm curious. If it contains a major spoiler, I don't need to know it; just whether or not there was a follow-up.

Also, I don't consider spoiler[Taroumaru's death] a plot hole. spoiler[He and Kurumi were in very different situations. He had a relatively large bite (compared to his body size) and had been turned for a bit, and the zombie people we see have festering bodies. It makes sense that the "cure" would suppress the symptoms but couldn't undo the damage.]
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

spoiler[From the source material, Tomoumaru was a one chapter character that was put in well before the beginning of what culminates in the Graduation story of events, the dog gets zombified and has an otherwise ambiguous conclusion (they tell Yuki "he won't be around anymore")
As for the anti-zombie drug, it doesn't cure the zombification and only subdues the symptoms.]

I already mentioned that in a previous post. Don't worry. I read the manga. I know that Taroumaru is an anime-exclusive.

Also, on the topic of emotion, I felt nothing for Taroumaru. Aside from temporarily fighting other zombies while turned, he was just a generic kawaii dog. It's similar to how most people don't find Bridge to Terabithia to be all that sad because the girl who died is just too factory-made to be innocent lovableness. It's less like when YOUR friend dies (the one you laughed with, cried with, argued with, etc.) and more like when your dream girl waifu gets her doujinshi discontinued. In Taroumaru's case, he was less like a real dog than he was a dream dog from a kid's fantasy.

To put it into perspective, I felt more upset when Dio Brando burned Danny to death at the end of Episode One of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure than I did when Taroumaru was zombified in episode 10 and died in episode 12. JoJo did something right in the emotional factor that School Live didn't. That was Jonathan's dog, and the way he acted, it could have been my dog too. Taroumaru was kind of like a cartoonishly happy-go-lucky dog. Like Runt from Animaniacs, except minus the talking. In fact, from the moment I saw him, I kind of suspected they would kill him off once things got serious. If anyone was expendable enough to show what's at stake for the girls, it's the dog.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
The fan made theories on why Taroumaru died anyway, yet didn't zombify are great and all, but in my opinion, if the series doesn't address them, it counts as a plot hole. The writers should have mentioned it in passing. Instead, when they talk about how he's passed on, they just say that he... died. Not from anything in particular.

Why would four high school girls know why a vaccine designed for humans wouldn't successfully work on a canine. Or even why Taroumaru died in the end.

Maybe if a research vet parachuted in, you would have gotten your answer.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Why would four high school girls know why a vaccine designed for humans wouldn't successfully work on a canine. Or even why Taroumaru died in the end.

Maybe if a research vet parachuted in, you would have gotten your answer.

They don't have to know for sure. Just go like "He must have died because..." or something. "They must have memories of their past lives. That's why they're still coming to school and going home." See? You put that in and suddenly Taroumaru breaking through his zombie programming to protect Yuki doesn't feel like an out-of-nowhere twist.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
Because animals act more on instinct than humans do? Hence an infection which destroys the conscious mind would have had less effect on an animal. And it's not like he totally broke the effect the zombification had on him, as Yuki still recognized him as enough of a threat to contain him.

Look, I do acknowledge that Taromaru rushing to Yuki's rescue is the one place where the storytelling was stretching a little for dramatic effect, but how things out was not entirely implausible, either., and really, it would also have been pretty implausible to think that Yuki was going to make it through without a little help. Frankly, making a big deal out of that seems like nitpicking to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14