• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dimension W

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Typical American impatience get something done quick and save costs. Sad.

This was an American production? Wow, who knew.
ivanchoFAA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but the person who wrote these reviews, seemed that hated the entire anime without even paying real attention to what's going on in the show, perhaps it wasn't the type of show he was expecting or something else. That's why reviews are misleading IN MOST CASES.
Personally, I think this show is very under-rated, perhaps not everybody enjoys a good sci fi; even though it had a good story, fun characters, some mechas and good action. This is an action series where you judge a character for what he or she is doing. Extensive character development is for slice of life series. However Dimension W IS NOT A SLICE OF LIFE SERIES!
Give it a chance and don't let reviewers cloud your vision of what you want to watch
I apologize for criticizing the reviewer's job; but he wasn't analyzing objectively each episode
I'm not a fanboy or anything like that, I just noticed that the reviewer just focused on the negative aspects of the series that's all
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
No, despite an interesting premise, this show sucked. And honestly, that's the worst. When a show could be good but collapses into infodumps, telling instead of showing, and characters being dull.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

This was an American production? Wow, who knew.

Well, sort of - Funimation is on the production committee for the show, but there's no real info on how much they were or were not involved in the adaptive/creative process for the show's planning. Personally Wrangler's comments strikes me more as just blame shifting.

ivancho wrote:
I'm sorry, but the person who wrote these reviews, seemed that hated the entire anime without even paying real attention to what's going on in the show, perhaps it wasn't the type of show he was expecting or something else. That's why reviews are misleading IN MOST CASES.
Personally, I think this show is very under-rated, perhaps not everybody enjoys a good sci fi; even though it had a good story, fun characters, some mechas and good action. This is an action series where you judge a character for what he or she is doing. Extensive character development is for slice of life series. However Dimension W IS NOT A SLICE OF LIFE SERIES!
Give it a chance and don't let reviewers cloud your vision of what you want to watch
I apologize for criticizing the reviewer's job; but he wasn't analyzing objectively each episode
I'm not a fanboy or anything like that, I just noticed that the reviewer just focused on the negative aspects of the series that's all

So maybe before saying somebody doesn't know what they're doing, try reading the byline and see that it's written by a woman Surprised

As for the rest, I don't really get what you're trying to say about character writing only being for "slice of life" series. Yes, DimW is primarily an action series, but I've seen tons of action shows and movies that still took time to flesh out their cast's personalities and establish rapport between the characters. Being action-focused isn't a get-out-of-writing-free card.

Also as a tip - if you ever find yourself saying a reviewer isn't being "objective" enough, maybe step away and figure out what you mean by that. A critic's job is to articulate and express their own opinion - not mirror yours or promote whatever work they're assigned.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So maybe before saying somebody doesn't know what they're doing, try reading the byline and see that it's written by a woman Surprised

As for the rest, I don't really get what you're trying to say about character writing only being for "slice of life" series. Yes, DimW is primarily an action series, but I've seen tons of action shows and movies that still took time to flesh out their cast's personalities and establish rapport between the characters. Being action-focused isn't a get-out-of-writing-free card.

Also as a tip - if you ever find yourself saying a reviewer isn't being "objective" enough, maybe step away and figure out what you mean by that. A critic's job is to articulate and express their own opinion - not mirror yours or promote whatever work they're assigned.

Yea not sure what the reviewer being male or female has to do with anything... sounds like an excuse.

Its hard to argue that reviews on ANN are not Biased.. usually hinted in the first episode and down hill from there. Not to say sometimes its not warranted.. but pro tip.. I don't care.

As with most reviews on ANN I tend to generally disagree with the reviewers.. the most recent exception to that was the 2nd season of Utawarerumono.. but different topic altogether.

I think this series did pretty well and had a decent plot. Something not many series can pull if in the 12 episode season formats. It kept my interest and tried not to be something it wasn't.

In no way do I think this series is one of the best I have ever seen, but compared to a good chunk that came out this season I'd say it was up there.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:

"Typical American impatience"? What a weird and out-of-the-blue term that is. What other examples are there that you feel America is typically impatient about the production of things?
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The ending went about as well as I expected (in other words, it started, it ended, that's about it). Some of the dialogue got so corny I almost started laughing.
There were some things in the last episode that, somewhere in the back of my mind, made me think that it was contradicting some plot lines from earlier in the series, but because the whole dimensions and memory soul whatever stuff kinda flew over my head due to exposition dumps I couldn't say what it was that bugged me.

I do like that Mira is essentially their daughter, and I sort of enjoyed the relationship between Mira and Kyouma in this episode, when she slapped him again. But their development was so rushed that it felt weak, which was a shame. Wouldn't it be cool to see Kyouma being a father figure to Mira?

In the end, the most I've taken from this series is that surely the manga must be better. I know the anime made up a lot of stuff, so if anything it's made me want to read the manga just to see if it's done right.

And to people saying the reviewers are biased or whatever... Well, a review is saying your opinion; the criticism and comments on the show. If you like the show than that's fine. You don't have to agree with the reviewer, everyone has their own opinion.

Personally, I came for Dimension W, stayed for the reviews.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Yea not sure what the reviewer being male or female has to do with anything... sounds like an excuse.

Multiple times in your first post you referred to the reviewer as "he". My point was that if you're going to accuse somebody of ineptitude, maybe at least check their name before coming in to criticize them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
...maybe at least check their name before coming in to criticize them.

Good advice all around, since it was ivancho who wrote the post that you were originally criticizing. ;D
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Wrangler wrote:

"Typical American impatience"? What a weird and out-of-the-blue term that is. What other examples are there that you feel America is typically impatient about the production of things?

I've watched shows for very long time. Nearly three decades, so I've seen patterns as to how their done.

Look at Big O, it's first season was fantastic. Then its resurrected by Cartoon Network, but it's greatly changed (plot and story) that it's second season matches what network wants. Ending was disappointing, it through out entire build up what had actually happened in the past of the show, but it's just television show inside a cyber world, that going rebooted again.

Dimension W's ending was very telling to me, It wrapped up entire show in almost a campy happy style ending during the credits. It was cartoonish stupid, the way they did it.

i would not have gotten upset had they not done that. That was a wrap up quick, everyone lives (mostly) lives happily ever after like nothing happened in the first place. No movement to unseat the dictatorship of New Tesla, no move try resolve issue what going on with the numbered coils, why coils are failing in the first place. Why Mira's father's family was murdered in the first place. Never mind what happened dimensions/possibilities of Dimension W.

I followed the Manga for while, it was cut off before mystery of the Dam story arc. Everything after it was never shown as far i can tell. Unless it was in light novels.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Side note:

Did anyone notice odd during the opening credits?

If you watch the opening credits, you see part where there split screen where main character is walking towards a girl, aka one android reverse image his wife. What i thought was rather...possibly spooky is that his wife is walking towards him, but she has no HEAD. This been in the opening of the show whole time, it's hard to spot. but wow. that would been something if someone caught it sooner.

I still like the show despite the way it was wrapped up.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
^You really need to type your posts more coherently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13