• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Torrent Sites Disappearing?

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Velshtein wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. CDJapan is a good site that I am already familiar with (it's how I acquired the Fire Emblem Fates OST which I could not find anywhere else at the time). However, that was a special case. CDJapan is not exactly an appealing option to acquire anime related music on a regular basis, because it's not remotely cost effective for the customer. I had to Google AniUta. It's sounds like a worthwhile idea since streaming is popular these days, but I personally prefer to own the media I pay for, not rent/stream it.

Importing stuff from Japan is always expensive, and buying stuff that was already imported is even worse (since the US store has to make money on top of the cost of importing the item). There's really no way to make it economic. At best, you figure out what the most economic option is and go with that. It's going to do serious damage to your wallet regardless.

For buying Japanese CDs, I've usually bought from one of

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp
http://www.yesasia.com
http://www.play-asia.com
http://www.amazon.co.jp

Which one is best has varied over time, but it almost always comes down to the cost of shipping. At this point, I'd say that yesasia is the best for CDs. They have free shipping for orders over $39, which means that the base cost is higher, but it's usually the case that the net cost is lower - especially if you don't buy in bulk (which is what you're usually forced to do elsewhere to keep shipping costs down). But it's still expensive, which is part of why I'm way behind on buying the CDs that I'd like to get...

Honestly, at this point, unless you're importing the Japanese anime releases (which I sometimes do in order to actually get quality video, since some of the US releases are pretty bad), anime is the cheap part of this hobby - especially with how much the prices for anime have dropped in recent years.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I don't want to sit in front of my TV watching anime on a phone or tablet

I watch nearly everything on a TV that has various connections to the Internet. Still, Google Chromecast makes it really easy to transfer a video streaming on an Android device over to a television set. Some apps like Crunchyroll's have native support for Chromecast, and for those that don't, you can cast the device's screen and audio.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I never find screencasting very successful - for one thing it doubles the network load and and puts more load on the device itself, it tends to be unstable, makes controlling harder (I had a Chromecast to supplement my Smart TV due to app gaps, but one of the reasons I later got an Apple TV is for the proper remote. I replaced my mother's Chromecast with a Fire stick for the same reason) and you have to keep the screen of the device active.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I never find screencasting very successful - for one thing it doubles the network load and and puts more load on the device itself, it tends to be unstable, makes controlling harder (I had a Chromecast to supplement my Smart TV due to app gaps, but one of the reasons I later got an Apple TV is for the proper remote. I replaced my mother's Chromecast with a Fire stick for the same reason) and you have to keep the screen of the device active.

I agree with all of that. As I said I don't rely on screen-casting for normal viewing. The lack of effective navigation is a particular annoyance. It's hard to jump over ads and the like using the controls available in Chromecast-enabled apps. But none of that matters much if you're just going to sit and watch an anime episode from end to end.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

Hey, thanks for the heads-up on this! At Play Asia I was able to find an OST that I had been seeking for years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Nyaa's gone-so what? I've found quite a few new places to get my stuff from so who gives a shit? I don't.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I mean, there's even two new nyaa's if you want
omiya

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hey, thanks for the heads-up on this! At Play Asia I was able to find an OST that I had been seeking for years.

Also, using a proxy service like fromjapan.co.jp enables you to get secondhand titles on amazon.co.jp that only ship to Japan.

When one visits Japan, set aside some time for looking through Book-Off / Mandarake / Lashinbang stores - if you can have written or printed details of the titles you are after, they can often help (mainly referring to music of anime and games on CD and video).

The regional city stores are also worth checking, in Kanazawa the staff helped me find some titles that I hadn't seen in Tokyo stores.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13