• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner, Leonardo DiCaprio to Produce Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Cameron set to direct the third Tintin film. Is that after Battle Angel Alita, or is just another rumor?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Levitt has denied
getting a part.
Sakeyoko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
A couple things:

AKIRA the anime butchered the story of the manga. When I first watched the movie I thought I didn't understand it because it was very complicated. After I read the manga I realized that it didn't understand themovie because the movie didn't make sense. it was a frankenstein of the source material. Here's what was missing:
spoiler[AKIRA was a set of jars in the movie, they barely even show him! he's supposed to be a real character, a MAIN character; they cut out the entire plot of the post explosion neo tokyo that begins at volume four. There's no Chiyoko, Lady Miyako shows up for one second and falls off a bridge, the context for Tetsuo transforming into a giant monster is completely cut and happens for a different reason, and time.]
There was a lot more gone. Don't get me wrong, AKIRA was geat for everything it did to spread popularity of anime, and it was a breathtaking achievement in animation, but it was not something that could be stuffed into 2 hours.

Now, making two movies is a great idea! I've heard it may be a trilogy too? The fact that they're going back to the source is fantastic. Americanization is a good idea too. Good Japanese filmmaking is a scarcity, and a live-action project of this much epicosity is unheard of from Japan.

A live-action AKIRA needs Hollywood.

So change a few details! I've read the manga, its fabulous, but it could take place in any urban fictional future. Tokyo isn't really like Neo-Tokyo, so why should geography matter?

Militarism was a heavy theme throughout the manga. If there are American characters with Japanese names it would make sense to me that they've taken on a heavy Japanese influence. Here's the way I understand it as going:
AKIRA, a japanese weapon, demolished Manhattan, and Japan became a superior superpower during World War 3. Japan assisted in reconstructing America with Neo-Manhattan, thus spreading its Japanese influence, racial mixing, japanese products, japanese names, etc..

I will like this movie more than the anime as long as they retain the characters and motivations from the original Book. Go and read AKIRA again and just picture every event happening in "Neo-Manhattan" instead. It would all stay the same. You just need to change the geography so we don't have to explain why talented American actors are supposed to be portraying Japanese people in Japan. A good parallel is the rage surrounding all chinese leads in "Memoirs of a Geisha"

So gosh darn it, go for it Leo.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
Sakeyoko wrote:
I will like this movie more than the anime as long as they retain the characters and motivations from the original Book.

If 'Tetsuo' and 'Travis' sound the same to thine ear, then you won't be disappointed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
Sakeyoko wrote:
A couple things:

AKIRA the anime butchered the story of the manga. When I first watched the movie I thought I didn't understand it because it was very complicated. After I read the manga I realized that it didn't understand themovie because the movie didn't make sense. it was a frankenstein of the source material. Here's what was missing

Now, making two movies is a great idea! I've heard it may be a trilogy too? The fact that they're going back to the source is fantastic..

That's what I thought too. Adapting from the manga + at least two movies = sounds like it's starting off better than anime (even though I think the anime is great; it just had lots of holes in the story)

.. now, what I think will ruin it for me is if they forgo most of the metaphysical, philosophical and ethical aspects; if anything to retain the original sense of dystopia, it needs to be very gray. definitely need to avoid making issues black-and-white.

edit: thinking about it some more.. two movies alone is still not enough. But we'll see I guess
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13