• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Crunchyroll's Vu Nguyen

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
THAT'S NOT LOVING ANIME. That's loving free shit. If you really love anime, you'd treat it right. You're just anime's bad boyfriend.

Quoted for truth. That statement is made of epic win.

Discussion over. Cool
greyhawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
Tell me about it. Never did that stuck-up loser admit doing anything wrong. The site sucks and nobody should be using it IMO. Poor all those guys, paying for some bootleg crappy anime.
Jams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
I remember a while back when CR was really strict on not hosting licensed stuff - but that lasted for a month or so. I think now they partly rely on users to report licensed stuff - you can probably guess how well that works Rolling Eyes

Anyway, even if CR's ethics are a bit questionable, that interview was harsh. Aggressive questioning and vague answers - not the best interview I've seen to say the least.
MaXimillion Zero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
Unknown Memory wrote:
BUT... the difference between watching the series on Youtube and CR. *sighs* Although, both do have damaging effects, only one of them has intentions of making MONEY out of its users.
I'm pretty sure Youtube's purpose is to make money as well Wink

The real difference is that what Youtube does is legal, and mostly ethical as well.
akichan911

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
In defense of the teenagers that many posters seem to be accusing- there are a good amount of teens who don't know that watching anime on sites like CR is illegal. I would know, because I have friends that have watched many anime series online; and if the topic of pirating music, or using Limewire/Bittorrent, they say (and I believe them) that they haven't used them and won't use them.
And these aren't stupid teens either; some of these kids are TAG (Talented And Gifted) students.
And honestly, why are you blaming the watchers of these shows, and ignoring the website? Hundreds of millions of people around the world use YouTube- when there is so much anime uploaded to a site that is considered legal, what is the general public supposed to assume? And with CR being a YouTube-like outlet, what are the general anime fans supposed to assume?
Why are we blaming the teenagers who watch this, when the real people at fault are the ones controlling the website?
And the whole deal with "It's sooooo easy to buy DVDs"; that isn't true for everybody. I could do chores for a month, and I probably wouldn't make more than $30, maximum. And then it's the concern with going somewhere to buy said DVDs- I can't just go to Best Buy or FYE whenever I want, because I have school, swim team (which is 2.5 hours, 6 days a week), and homework. It's at least a 50 minute drive roundtrip to the nearest Best Buy, which isn't practical for a busy teenager with busy parents.
And buying online isn't easy, either- many of my friend’s parents (and sometimes my parents) don't feel comfortable letting their kids go use their credit cards to buy anime on websites that they haven't heard of before.
So I applaud Gonzo for trying to find a legal and simulcast system for American anime fans to enjoy.
But shouldn't we be more concerned with the uploaders, rather than the people watching the anime on the internet?

Last edited by akichan911 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rehabilitator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Hey... were's Tazmo!?!?!?
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
My question is, how is an organization like this even able to function as a business? They have no legal rights to the products they are distributing, and people had to "pay" to view hi res versions? Also they are making money off of works they don't own any rights too.

People say fansubs are hurting the community, but fansubs don't cost money. In my personal opinion, these people are a black mark on the Anime Community. It seems they are doing more to damage the industry then any other organization.

It does seem the interview is very inconclusive though. Many questions were not answered, or the generic "No Comment" line was used way to much. The interviewer did a great job with the questions, only wish most of them got answered.

Personally, if the Anime Industry wants to make an example of someone, I believe Crunchy Roll would be the perfect place to start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

THAT'S NOT LOVING ANIME. That's loving free shit. If you really love anime, you'd treat it right. You're just anime's bad boyfriend.

I love anime, so I support it by only enjoying it through legal means. Anythingelse isn't love, just greed.

Well, while I'm certainly not going to disagree with your sentiment, I wish you wouldn't be so black and white about it. I've downloaded my fair share of fansubs -- I've been downloading a lot less lately -- but I've also got 200+ DVDs on my shelves, and that grows by about 4/month. Honestly, I can say every series I have in digital form will go to a physical form sooner or later (most of my current collection is stuff I had previously downloaded). Not to say I don't blind buy, some of my favorite series -- e.g. NGE, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Gankutsuou, Flag -- are blind buys.

And, as soon as I find a decent paying job, you can guess where that extra cash is going Very Happy. More new series, ongoing series, and stuff I've already watched -- ADV will be getting yet more of my wallet as soon as TTGL is released, for one thing.

Getting back on topic...Another solid interview, Zac. Sure, there are plenty of other questions that need to be asked, but as has been said, a sudden inundation with millions of dollars restricts what can be said by an interviewee, so I understand why so many questions didn't come up here.

Having said that, definitely count me in among those who hate CR's business practices. I've never used any of these streaming services and I'm not about to start now, especially after reading about this whole debacle. The interview only further cemented my stance on this, since limited as the questions were, Mr. Nguyen still evaded at several points. Gonzo needs to get out of this, and start talking to ADV/Funimation.

Anyway, I've gone on too long. I just wanted to speak as someone who lives outside of North America, and who hates CR, which may well not be too big a group. Here's to hoping that at least all this drama will at least nudge the Japanese towards pursuing digital distribution with R1 companies. As if that hasn't been said enough times.

akichan911 wrote:

It's at least a 50 minute drive roundtrip to the nearest Best Buy, which isn't practical for a busy teenager with busy parents.

Man...I wish I had B&M stores which sold legit anime DVDs. Although actually this had just changed since my move from Singapore to Australia for university. Nevertheless, prices are sky-high there for R1 imports, so I will likely continue to order online for the most part. And if your parents aren't comfortable with websites they don't know about, educate 'em! Places like Amazon and RACS aren't exactly shady websites, so I should think you'd at least have a shot at convincing them to allow you the use of a credit card for those types of places.

Edit: For over-quoting

Last edited by Big Hed on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
8JF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
akichan911 wrote:
In defense of the teenagers that many posters seem to be accusing- there are a good amount of teens who don't know that watching anime on sites like CR is illegal.

I've never heard of ignorance being a viable defence from the law. It's their business to know and their guardians duty to make sure they know. Why do they make you take civics in school? It has nothing to do with sadistic glee on the part of the teachers.

Quote:
And with CR being a YouTube-like outlet, what are the general anime fans supposed to assume?

Youtube has been in litigation over content posted by its users. And when did YouTube ever tell the end user to give them money in order to see a selection of content on YouTube?

Quote:
And the whole deal with "It's sooooo easy to buy DVDs"; that isn't true for everybody. I could do chores for a month, and I probably wouldn't make more than $30, maximum.

There are methods that are legal and free if you want to watch anime that include the school library or public library. You can also join an anime club.

Quote:
It's at least a 50 minute drive roundtrip to the nearest Best Buy, which isn't practical for a busy teenager with busy parents.

Yes, everyone is busy that's no excuse.
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Shuchung wrote:
Find advertisers who pay more? Build up viewer base? Look for investors?

I was just making a comment on what seems to me to be a contradiction that Mr. Nguyen makes. There certainly seems to be a potential for profit to be made or there wouldn’t be any “revenue sharing” agreements or investment money. I’m just curious what changed with the VC infusion that all of the sudden netting a profit is now a realization when Nguyen specifically notes that there was no such profit prior to the 4 million? How do you remove a source of revenue (the donation system) yet add costs (payroll and other costs associated with becoming “legit”) and now all the sudden you’re able to turn a profit? Something just doesn’t add up to me.

PS. Building up your traffic count doesn't necessarily increase revenue as it also increases your costs. And thinking of investments as profit is not a wise idea Razz.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

I love anime, so I support it by only enjoying it through legal means. Anythingelse isn't love, just greed.

Hell, I watch fansubs and know this quote is nothing but Truth. I can't understand how someone can fully embrace this practice; from the japanese guy who puts the show on stupidnet to the end user that does nothing but consume without attaching value to what they're watching.

But I AM SUPRISED THREAD! No one has addressed the obvious quick action that can be taken:

Quote:
How many servers do you have?

More than 100 now. I can't say that it's cheap or easy to maintain.

Where are they located?

In a location near the San Jose area.

People of near San Jose! Anybody know the name of a good arsonist? Wink
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
akichan911 wrote:
And honestly, why are you blaming the watchers of these shows, and ignoring the website?

I could do chores for a month, and I probably wouldn't make more than $30, maximum. And then it's the concern with going somewhere to buy said DVDs- I can't just go to Best Buy or FYE whenever I want, because I have school, swim team (which is 2.5 hours, 6 days a week), and homework. It's at least a 50 minute drive roundtrip to the nearest Best Buy, which isn't practical for a busy teenager with busy parents.
And buying online isn't easy, either- many of my friend’s parents (and sometimes my parents) don't feel comfortable letting their kids go use their credit cards to buy anime on websites that they haven't heard of before.

1- I do have the same issues with CR and other websites, especially NarutoFan. There are indeed lots of kids who don't know better, and the companies not being forward that they are indeed illegal/forprofit is pretty shady. They sucker a lot of innocent kids.
Though for all the innocent kids I meet, there's treasures who know perfectly well what they're doing and call me all kinds of nasty names for telling them otherwise. It's a tossup

2- I was a teen who bought anime. How? Frugal choices- if I only had 30 bucks for anime, I'd pick lower priced stuff- in that time, 9.99 SRP vhses like Ranma 1/2 OVA's and CPM's lower priced Utena vhses [which came to around 16 and 24 canadan each at the time, but yeah, cheaper]. When I was a little older and dvd's were more common, I stuck to lower priced dvd releases like CPM's catalogue, and started browsing Ebay for used stuff. Used stuff=dirt cheap, though I found most of the time, I could find sealed/new stuff similarly. Now there's LOADS of webstores that carry new stuff on deep discount/clearance......

If you don't have a credit card, many sites like RightStuf accept money orders- I only buy from Canadian webstores, but I still managed to find a lot of good stuff, and have NEVER dealt with CC's online. You can get them at post offices or banks, usually with a small fee. Save up for a few months, and order in bulk to save on shipping too.....

With physical stores, if what I want isn't on the shelf, I special order it, especially if it's cheaper then what's on the shelves. Most specialty retailers are very glad to do this. These stores will hold onto your item for up to a month most of the time, so if you can only go there about once a month, and they know that, they'll probably take that into consideration if you're a regular/good customer.

BTW-- When I was in high school, my comic shop was 2 hours away, and in university, even though I was closer, I had to have them mail stuff to me 1/2 the time, and could only go once a month. Stuff sucks, but it's not really *that* hard to enjoy anime and manga ethically. And hey, 8 years later, now manga's EVERYWHERE! Anime would be too if it's sales weren't down due to bootlegging....

Last edited by Paploo on Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
MaXimillion Zero wrote:
Unknown Memory wrote:
BUT... the difference between watching the series on Youtube and CR. *sighs* Although, both do have damaging effects, only one of them has intentions of making MONEY out of its users.
I'm pretty sure Youtube's purpose is to make money as well Wink

The real difference is that what Youtube does is legal, and mostly ethical as well.

Very Happy Very true. I know Youtube made that deal with Google. When I meant "money", I mean it in terms of how the payment was used. Either used for the site or used for the site's owner's own personal benefit.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
MokonaModoki wrote:
championferret wrote:
Also, crunchyroll only screen what isnt licensed in the US. .

FYI, that's not true.

[SNIP]
Kimagure Orange Road
[SNIP]

All licensed. All playable.

Except for the second movie, R1 KOR DVDs are OOP since AnimEigo's license expired. My old regular comic shop still had most of those in stock at half off, though. Got TV vol. 12 from a friend in the U.S., leaving vol. 1 as the only disc I still need and can't source locally.

And yet, the second movie is still up there (so was Trigun earlier today... despite it being pulled earlier).

By the by folks, just because it's not licensed in the US, doesn't make it any less illegal. Lamacchia's loophole was closed about 11 years back, which ended the legality of watching stuff from Japan that wasn't licensed here as of yet.
Arx7arbalest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Some things don't match up though... or at least from what I remember reading the old about me and old CR announcements.
I was a member of Crunchyroll around the time the forums where first around and before there was an upload feature. Sure, now the staff doesn't upload anything, but I remember that all the anime that was available for viewing was uploaded by Shinji. What's really unsettling is that Evangelion episode 1 is still available, which I recall was uploaded by Shinji. Vu Nguyen said that whenever something was reqested to be removed, it was removed. I recall that ADV was the first to request to remove all anime licensed by ADV. I find it odd that anime, which was uploaded by the "king roll" himself, was requested to be removed a long time ago is still on the site.

There are other things that don't really match up with what was said in the interview, but nothing really important. Just things like "When Crunchyroll started" and stuff like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15