• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2008 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
What I'm hoping for is less schoolyard antics. That was annoyed me the most in the first seasons >.>

ITA! Ever time the storyline got too wrapped up with the school, I was so bored. If I wanted to watch wacky high school stuff, I'd be watching Ouran Host Club again because it does it much better than Code Geass.
CerebralDivinity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
CerebralDivinity wrote:
Holy crap, there has been much off-topic conversation. I was hoping for more advice on what to watch >_>

Well, I'm happy to give my own recommendations, for what it's worth Smile

Hahaha... I just said to myself "Why am I not watching Macross yet?" And I'll definitely have to look into some of your other suggestions (I'm already watching Geass, actually, and stalking the fansub sites for updates). I've been considering looking into Blassreiter, actually. It has some potential to be interesting, from what I've read, but I'll definitely have to watch it and see.

Thanks for the suggestions. (Maybe this will draw the topic away from arguing about stuff a bit)
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

Earlier discussion had come to the conclusion that it was mostly to keep on new viewers and keep ratings up. Having new viewers jump straight into the plot with out any introduction to characters could've hurt.

What I'm hoping for is less schoolyard antics. That was what annoyed me the most in the first seasons >.>

Niju Menso no Musume caught me by surprise. I initially thought it was going to be a typically "mysterious thief" series but it actually looks like it has potential. Definitely agree with the rating on that one.

True, I'd forgotten the need to bring new fans up to speed. Also, I agree as well that there needs to be less focus on the school, and I suspect (or at least hope) that's going to be the case, that Shirley and company will get more embroiled in the main plot this season.

Funny that the Niju Menso no Musume review gets posted today, as I was just looking at the encyclopedia entry on the show yesterday. It looks interesting, and the positive review/forum response is encouraging, so I think I'll check this out.

CerebralDivinity wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. (Maybe this will draw the topic away from arguing about stuff a bit)

No problem, glad to help.

Anyway, speaking of good shows in general, I was wondering if Mnemosyne might get a review? I know it's not strictly part of the spring season, but given that it only premiered at the end of February and doesn't really fit anywhere else in the schedule, it could use the coverage I think. Not to mention it's on par in episode count for other shows out there because of its format.
skyechan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
Niju Mensou no Musume looks extremely promising so far; I anxiously await the next episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
I just watched the third episode of Kanokon and can tell you the show is getting better. For one it's no longer two girls trying to seduce a shotakon kid, it's now a full blown "Archie/Betty/Veronica" style love triangle. Plus Kouta is now becoming a likeable protanganist because he's a bit more demanding now.

The fan service in this episode is almost completely toned down and is less pseudo-hentai and more Eiken-esquespoiler[ It includes a fish-oil massage scene that's simular to the "yogurt slide" in Eiken and a sexy "spanking" scene] Because the fanservice is now like "Eiken" it actaully sort of works now, because unlike in Eiken you don't get girls with busts WAY too big, and freaked out character designs.

As for Zettai Karen Children, the second episode is a bit dissapointing because it focuses too much on trying to set the tone for the storyline.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
I'm totally hooked on Nabari no Ou so far. I love the look of the characters, humor and fighting scenes. Looking forward to episode 3. I hope it continues strong throughout; this will be a buy if it gets licensed here.

Cautiously optimistic for Itazura na Kiss. I really hate the male lead so far, and the female lead for being spoiler[all wishy washy at the end of the second ep.], but the second episode was absolutely hilarious spoiler[with the blackmailing and her friends spying on the blackmailing]. I do like Kotoko's friends quite a bit.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I'm totally hooked on Nabari no Ou so far. I love the look of the characters, humor and fighting scenes. Looking forward to episode 3. I hope it continues strong throughout; this will be a buy if it gets licensed here.

Cautiously optimistic for Itazura na Kiss. I really hate the male lead so far, and the female lead for being spoiler[all wishy washy at the end of the second ep.], but the second episode was absolutely hilarious spoiler[with the blackmailing and her friends spying on the blackmailing]. I do like Kotoko's friends quite a bit.

I'm with you on both of those shows.

Itazura na Kiss has been pretty funny so far, but I feel like that could change quickly if the show isn't careful.

After the second episode, I'm pretty throroughly convinced that Nabari no Ou is going to be very enjoyable. The show looks great, has a sense of humor, and the story feels like its going in a good direciton (especially after that cliffhanger at the at the end of the episode, which was very evil).
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if we're going to post any more updates to this feature now that it's dropped off the front page, so I'll add here that I just got to see the first episode of Real Driver and was mightily impressed. Not everything made sense, but this is definitely one of the best-looking (and especially best-animated) series of the season, and seems like it might be high-concept, too. I give it a 4.5 on a 1-5 scale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I give it a 4.5 on a 1-5 scale.

Thanks, Key! Anime smile

I'm a little disappointed that the subs got out so slowly, but I'm glad for the high score. Of course, that's what I was expecting anyway. Wink I bet there would be more 4+ scores for the other two series (Library War and Kaiba) as well if only they had been subbed quickly. Both Real Drive and Kaiba really do have A+ quality animation.

RD and Library War will most definitely be my favorites of the season, I can tell. Followed closely of course by Macross Frontier, Soul Eater, and Nabari no Ou.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow yes thanks, Key. Good to hear something about the show. Now off to check it out, along with Library War, whenever that gets a sub.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
I wonder if I should keep updating the means...?
tealovertoma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently watching these: Soul Eater / Allison And Lillia / Kyouran Kazoku Nikki / The Tower Of Druaga / Chi's Sweet Home / Himitsu / Niju Mensou no Musume / Special A / Kurenai / Nabari / Amatsuki / Real Drive / Macross Frontier / Crystal Blaze

and liking them in that order (yes I realize Macross Frontier is quite low on the list, I'm not much of a mecha fan - it's a good anime though). If Soul Eater goes down the dark path of so many shounen anime then Allison And Lillia will probably be my favourite anime of the season, but this could just be because I have an adventure-anime-fetish.

(on another note, I've watched practically every anime - except for the ridiculous penguin one - and I've dropped the rest because they weren't good enough, not my type of anime and because I have to have a social life left).
noobles
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Is the preview guide no longer going to be updated?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
noobles wrote:
Is the preview guide no longer going to be updated?

Yeah, it's over for now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13