• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anime Economy - Part 2: Shiny Discs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
My feelings about anime industry is that I would rather buy from source than American distribture. I'm old school, i'm still bitter from my experiences of Funimation and other companies dub's of anime imported into kiddized or dumbed down dialog and editing for television.

I want industry to survive and continue, but if Otaku from Japan who i think many are giving impression their mentally ill like fan-service way too much. I see shows that are balanced coming out which is smart, not anime version of bad sitcom nose diving because J-Otaku have low attention span not seeing enough of predictable t & a or hopless love stories.

Mini-Skirt Pirates (despite the name) is good example of great show, but likely going tank in Japan because of this trends/tastes in Japan. Later next year, with sampling this is year is Space Battle Ship Yamato: 2199, which really looks GOOD (despite re-imaging of older series) isn't going fly as well i think. Its good chance it will never come to United States due to its ties with Bandi.

I hope someday, Japan's anime industry does get bit wiser or more educated about how oversea markets are. Full retail Rental prices for episodes are insane.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
@ ikc - I agree that if you widen the frame of reference by using the phrase "otaku appeal" versus "T&A" you are on firmer ground. But that's why I think the Usagi Drop versus Chihayafuru comparison is a valid one. Neither show panders to what we perceive as the standard otaku touchstones. Yet, Usagi the anime performed much better than Chihayafuru the anime is. Why? I think part of the answer is in the writing. Chihayafuru lays the bathos on with a trowel. I'm shocked they didn't give Transfer Student a harelip and a clubfoot to really drive the point home how wonderful Chihaya is for not sharing the prejudices of her oh-so less evolved classmates. Rolling Eyes I can't elaborate more on Chihayafuru's writing lapses because I threw in the towel after two and half episodes. But from what I've read and heard on the ANNCast, they kind of use Transfer Student in a really clumsy way - dropping him, then dragging him out intermittently. Doubtlessly, dtm42 will argue that this is actually a supah-daring writing technique that further proves what a masterpiece this snoozefest is.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My feelings about anime industry is that I would rather buy from source than American distribture. I'm old school, i'm still bitter from my experiences of Funimation and other companies dub's of anime imported into kiddized or dumbed down dialog and editing for television.

See, this is a good example of those "Stuck in the 90's" weeaboos Inwas talking about.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The key difference is that (based on what I gather from the article) the idea used to be to sell DVDs primarily to video stores, not to individual fans. It was a rental based model. They never expected the average fan to go out and buy their own DVDs. ...

That was the idea in the US too, back in the early 80's, when Video Rental Stores were popping up like mushrooms after a summer rainstorm ... but over time the US distributors discovered that there were things that could generate more money be selling at an end-consumer price point.

Given that per item distribution costs in Japan were higher than in the US, so an equivalent price point would leave less for the original producers(1), and given the point noted in the article about the limited storage space in Japanese homes ~ for example, a preference in some homes for under-counter refrigerators sufficient to store perishables bought daily or every second day, because an American full sized refrigerator would take too much room ~ it seems quite plausible that the difference in the market opportunities drove the different evolutions of price points, with a far larger share of VHS releases price at end-consumer price points in the US well before DVD's started taking over the market.

(1 That will not be obvious in the pie charts, since they are percentages based on substantially different price points.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But from what I've read and heard on the ANNCast, they kind of use Transfer Student in a really clumsy way - dropping him, then dragging him out intermittently. Doubtlessly, dtm42 will argue that this is actually a supah-daring writing technique that further proves what a masterpiece this snoozefest is.

First of all, why are you picking a fight with me so soon after the last one? So much for your claim that I'm the one who always instigates these things.

Secondly, you're ignoring how ANNCast liked Chihayafuru. Then there's The Stream, which has ranked the show in the #1 slot without fail for the past five months.

Thirdly, the show's title; see it? It isn't called Aratafuru, it's called Chihayafuru. Arata is a vitally important character to the plot but he is not a main character. Or not as much of a main character as the other main characters. Even the junior members of the club get more screentime and development that him. That isn't a sign that the writing is bad, he was used to get the ball rolling and then has taken a step back. Think of Deus in Mirai Nikki. It isn't a daring writing technique, the story (at least in the Anime) simply is not about him and his arc.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42 - it is not my intent to get off-topic with a detailed discussion of Chihayafuru. I'm sure it's a perfectly fine show; it just didn't connect with me. My initial impetus for commenting on it was that you lazily blamed Japanese otaku and their apparently endless appetite for T&A for this niche show's lack of success. I've already explained why I don't agree with that outlook.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
[Secondly, you're ignoring how ANNCast liked Chihayafuru. Then there's The Stream, which has ranked the show in the #1 slot without fail for the past five months.

People have different opinions. Just because some people will like a show doesn't mean everyone will. Personally, I didn't like it because it was too shoujo/josei for me.

There are probably shows that a lot of people like that you don't like, so don't just expect everyone to have the same opinion.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Not disagreeing with you there since both of us read the article.

That's why I was wondering if rental income still matters (it does since it's income nonetheless, but still) since there has to some portion of the fandom that still rent due to various factors.

That's why I posed another question to Justin (or anyone else currently living in Japan...like samuelp) if the rental market is still pretty robust these days.

Ah, okay. I see what you're saying then. I'd be very curious to hear more on this as well.

I'm generally inclined to think that rental would be pretty minor now though. Rental works a lot better for straight to video stuff. However, now one can watch most stuff on TV (or even streaming sometimes) if you don't care about actually owning it.

Blood- wrote:
@ ikc - I agree that if you widen the frame of reference by using the phrase "otaku appeal" versus "T&A" you are on firmer ground. But that's why I think the Usagi Drop versus Chihayafuru comparison is a valid one. Neither show panders to what we perceive as the standard otaku touchstones.

Well...it doesn't pander per say. But let us keep in mind that the manga is a story about an older man who adopts a cute little girl, raises her, and then later spoiler[she grows up and becomes his wife]. That's hitting some pretty blatant (and horrifying) otaku buttons. The anime may never actually continue that far and by all rights it is entirely innocent in its execution, but it still has a fairly apparent underlying otaku appeal.

So like I said, if you want to argue that Chihayafuru is a bad show (or say whatever about Chihayafuru) then I have no comment (I've only seen 1 episode). I don't think you can sustain the claim that, solely by virtue of being good, shows will be successful though.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But that's why I think the Usagi Drop versus Chihayafuru comparison is a valid one. Neither show panders to what we perceive as the standard otaku touchstones. Yet, Usagi the anime performed much better than Chihayafuru the anime is. Why?

Much better timeslot for Usagi Drop. 1 cour vs 2 cour meaning only 4 volumes to buy for Usagi Drop compared to 8 or 9 for Chihayafuru. There are other factors of course, such as Chihayafuru being an on-going manga series and Usagi Drop having been finished among others. Usagi Drop had an average of about 4k copies per volume and Chihayafuru is at about 2.5k copies per volume. I enjoyed both shows immensely and wish that both shows had done better and that both could be licensed for release here in the West. Though, Siren Visual already licensed Usagi Drop so at least there will always be that AU release available.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Ah, okay. I see what you're saying then. I'd be very curious to hear more on this as well.

I'm generally inclined to think that rental would be pretty minor now though. Rental works a lot better for straight to video stuff. However, now one can watch most stuff on TV (or even streaming sometimes) if you don't care about actually owning it.

Expansion of watching on TV - DVRs allow otaku to record and watch shows whenever they want, too. That also had to cut into rental market.

Curious that Fate/Zero DVD is rental only in Japan. I wonder what is the cost of that to stores. How many stores will stock it?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I remember hearing once that the first OVAs were created in order to sell Laser Disc players.

Pretty sure that can't be right. Dallos was a Bandai/Network (later Bandai Visual) production, they didn't have any stake in the LD business. Megazone 23 was a way to try and make back money spent on pre-production after funding fell through on a TV series, IIRC. Then you have stuff like Lolita Anime and Cream Lemon being, well, hentai...

Now I need to figure out where I read that and whether I have misremembered it completely... it is probably something more specific than my generalisation above, I think it was something about the history of Pioneer LDC. Perhaps it was more to do with why Pioneer got into animation. Unfortunately I can't track it down. Closest I can find is right here, animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-14/pioneer-stops-making-laserdisc-players-after-27-years

JonLa wrote:
A quick related question - what UK title was reverse imported back to Japan, as mentioned by Jon Clements in his Neo column/ Schoolgirlmilkycrisis blog? He changed the name to protect his sources and clients, but somebody must have worked it out?

Not something I've been able to figure out unfortunately.

I'm convinced his chat with an old director who complained about "the suits" going after his family "as if his surname was a brand" was with Miyazaki though, what with Goro and everything, and I'm pretty sure this is about KO Century Beast Warriors. I also like to think that interview with "Sam" from a few years ago about the foreign market being 50% of their business was with someone from Gonzo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@ ikc - I agree that if you widen the frame of reference by using the phrase "otaku appeal" versus "T&A" you are on firmer ground. But that's why I think the Usagi Drop versus Chihayafuru comparison is a valid one. Neither show panders to what we perceive as the standard otaku touchstones.

Well...it doesn't pander per say. But let us keep in mind that the manga is a story about an older man who adopts a cute little girl, raises her, spoiler[and then later she grows up and becomes his wife].

Are there any more important plot points that you'd like to spoil for Usagi Drop? Do you think that everyone reads scanlations?

Edit: Personal attack removed. It's actually not referenced in the anime at all, so it's not as bad a spoiler as it looks, so we can all chill out about this now, OK? -JS

That was not at all appreciated. Show some courtesy.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
...however, Viz Media has not licensed any anime since, like, forever, so we can't really count on them.
Indeed. They license things for streaming, and that's good and all for a legal way to watch it, but it isn't a solution to collecting.

While streams of Reborn! for example are a good thing in how there's a legal way to watch it, I really, really want DVD's here (Especially since I really like it.). My only option of owning the series is currently importing it for about $300 a box set from Amazon Japan or CDJapan, and with no subtitles.

Collectors can't win with VIZ Media, whether it be for manga (Due to them failing to figure out how to reprint and finish a series that's a few volumes from completion.) or anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Conversely, no matter how good a show may be, it's just not gonna sell too well without that otaku appeal. I mean honestly, what was the last popular and successful (adult) anime to not contain clear otaku appeal?

Surprisingly, there are quite a few shows that aired recently that did well despite not outright pandering to Otaku or Fujoshi. Please note that a few titles on the list do have a strong following (like how the Natsume Yuujinchou franchise is very popular with Fujoshi), and some titles not listed have wide appeal and high sales but were aimed at particular audiences (which is why I have not listed K-ON!! despite it being very popular with girls). This list merely reflects original intent, not what actually ended up happening.

I have also only listed titles that - on average - sold more than ten thousand copies per volume. I only want to include titles that were unambiguously successful in terms of financial success.

[Year] [Sales per volume averaged out] [Series name]

2008 - 34,601 - Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 S2
2011 - 31,523 - Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
2011 - 27,948 - Tiger & Bunny
2009 - 24,494 - To Aru Kagaku no Railgun
2012 - 18,310 - Durarara!!
2008 - 15,282 - Gintama Season 3
2011 - 14,040 - Ao no Exorcist
2011 - 13,845 - Gintama'
2008 - 13,200 - Aria the Origination
2012 - 12,951 - Sengoku Basara 2
2009 - 12,720 - Gintama Season 4
2009 - 12,327 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2009 - 12,151 - Darker than Black -Ryuusei no Gemini-
2009 - 10,315 - Zoku Natsume Yuujin-chou
2011 - 10,223 - Natsume Yuujin-chou San

All figures courtesy of the user something from [url=http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1972214#post1972214[/url]

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
LordByron227

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the RI license fees are a bit more than a drop in the bucket, but hardly significant (but its still something right?) Although, I prefer physical media as opposed to streaming, and as such, I would prefer to continue to buy from R1 (full disclosure:, I do like 40% of the dubs out here and yes it was FUNIs and some of the anime bubble adv dubs that shook me out of my sub only habit before). Also, I won't be able to afford R2 releases until I grad college and HOPEFULLY getting a position in a Public Acct. firm. But the next factor is the fact that R2 releases just isn't the best "bang" for the buck. I mean look at Fate/Zero (I wanted to get the release, even considered it) but 13 eps for $370....Thats almost $30 an episode. Hell, even if I didn't buy that Catherine Figure, Angel, and Subaru Figures, that still wouldn't have been enough.

If R1 dies, I lose out on quite a few good dubs and affordable releases. So hopefully, a semi-profitable status quo develops. Confused

Also, Chagen46, being as vitriolic as some of the more partisan sub fans is not gonna help your position. Grow tougher skin please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14