• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Charlotte (TV 2015).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Ok... I'm just going to say it: That plan is stupid. When Nao presented the idea I thought she'd have some kind of great plan to gather all ability wielders into one place. Instead Yuu is just gonna go looking for potentially thousands of ability wielders scattered all over the world and plunder their powers one by one. And he only has like 4 or so years at most. The plan is ridiculously unrealistic and I can't believe that everyone else just agreed to the plan. There has to be more to this. Some kind of plot twist that allows him to pull this off.

Also is Yuu gonna pull all that off in 1 episode or is there going to be a 2nd season?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
That's actually the solution that came to my mind awhile ago. Might seem ridiculous but at this point what else could they do?

Next episode will probably time skip to after he comes back.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
That's actually the solution that came to my mind awhile ago. Might seem ridiculous but at this point what else could they do?

What is the most ridiculous about it is how everyone just seems to agree to it. Not that long ago Yuu lost control and got Kumagami killed. How could they trust a guy like that to save everyone? Not to mention all the possible hazards that await him. Even if he manages to find an ability similar to Kumagami's he still has to physically meet every one of those ability wielders face to face. And how many wielders are there? Hundreds? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? It's a plan completely filled with what if scenarios that no one could possibly consider the plan possible. No it's not a plan, it's a last resort.

They could have tried gathering allies or finding a healing ability to fix Yuu's eye. Is anyone gonna go with him?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
As crazy as Yuu's plan is, it sort of makes sense in the nature that it is a "live in the moment" move as opposed to Shin's endless loop in regards to application of abilities.

The only other "option" is to DO NOTHING which means the whims of the world will be over come with teenage psychics reeking havoc regardless of who they serve.
Yuu's plan is crazy, but it is less sane to simply sit by and watch the world crush it self.

This is probably one of the better origins of a "Super Man" story that one could bring out, I am intrigued how the hell this wraps up.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
On that note, does anyone fluent in Japanese have any idea what this might say (characters may be reversed in order and/or orientation, or upside down)?

It says: "special abilities = illness". So as of this episode, it's already been addressed.

Somehow I missed this post until now, so thanks for the info. Now that I know what to look for, it was easy to read, unlike the English words like "unknown particle." Smile

As for the plan, it seems like you'd want to test it on one person to make sure he can still plunder one-eyed, but beyond that, I'd think they'd want to save his allies for last, just in case. This is a pretty all or nothing shot.

So there's one more episode? They could make a whole season (or One Piece) out of Yuu's world tour...
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
The only other "option" is to DO NOTHING

I have a hard time buying that simply because they never even explored other possibilities. I suppose I could have bought this plan easier if they just tried thinking of other alternatives before committing to this crazy plan.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
As for the plan, it seems like you'd want to test it on one person to make sure he can still plunder one-eyed

They did. Yuu plundered Nao's ability.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
^Read the whole sentence. I was fine with taking one ability as a test. I thought it foolhardy to take more than one from among his allies right off the bat. Should he fail or is killed, there won't be any powered good guys left.

On further reflection though, I suppose it's a little like taking them along with him on his tour. Those powers could come in handy.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
After plundering the council, he now has the ability to channel dead people of which nothing was made.
The plan might not be as crazy as it appears.

Who has recently died, that would be HUGE help to the plan?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
After plundering the council, he now has the ability to channel dead people of which nothing was made.
The plan might not be as crazy as it appears.

Who has recently died, that would be HUGE help to the plan?

WHOOOOOOO?!?!
But yeah, gaining an assist from him would be pretty useful.

Quote:
I have a hard time buying that simply because they never even explored other possibilities. I suppose I could have bought this plan easier if they just tried thinking of other alternatives before committing to this crazy plan.

Mind you Yuu's older Brother wasn't that much more clever and had significantly more time to come up with forms of long term plans.
Yuu going off and "playing Super Man" while a reckless turn makes sense for his character arc.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
I imagine as he starts to gather abilities he may become increasingly stronger, maybe some location abilities with teleporting abilities would make it an easy task. Maybe if he had some ability to see people remotely he could take powers without even having to go near them. Wait, now he sounds a bit like the Heroes villain Sylar.

And I did get a bit emotional, especially it was him being fed by Ayumi. I like him with Nao but in truth I don't know how she might feel about him. Some of the great part of him with her did happen in the different timeline with her following him, find a way to help her brother, and that date. I will still like the times they were often talking in tandem. She did make him those things to help, but as things are now they feel a bit unresolved, like how she got bullied, and I don't know if that would be a topic of the last episode.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

Mind you Yuu's older Brother wasn't that much more clever and had significantly more time to come up with forms of long term plans.
Yuu going off and "playing Super Man" while a reckless turn makes sense for his character arc.

It makes sense for Yuu's character, but it doesn't make sense that everyone just plays along with it. There's also the issue with being the vessel for so many abilities. Nao said that Yuu could turn into some monster that could cause a lot of destrucation, potentially even annihilate the human race (maybe that's a bit pushing it). We (the viewers) know that's not going to happen, but it's a big risk they are taking without giving it much thought. I was at least expecting Shunsuke to object, but maybe he's tired of all the planning and time traveling shenanigans.

What I'm mostly wondering is how they are going to pull all that off in 1 episode. They obviously have to skip a lot of stuff, but what about after all the powers have been plundered? How are they going to vaccinate every person on the planet and are they going keep vaccinating everyone for all eternity? Might be more realistic to build a galactic superweapon to destroy the comet...
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea how the heck Yuu is meant to accomplish this almost impossible feat in one episode, unless we have a "3 Years and 364 days later..."

As for plundering the powers, I was thinking that the best way would be for him to gain a worldwide video audience... Say for example a presidential speech. But this would require a number of factors that seem highly unlikely such as would his plunder ability work through the television set? and could he plunder more than one ability at once? for example. Even then I doubt he'd get everyone

I guess he'd then use the vaccine on himself to remove all the powers but we still have the problem of the asteroid 'Charlotte' in the future... So unless Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck are still around, then he's going to need to find a way to destroy the asteroid before it can sprinkle it's dust over the earth again.

I'm hoping the show ends well... Fingers crossed!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
The vaccine doesn't remove the powers once you have them. It's what's supposed to prevent the next outbreak when Charlotte returns.

Just like the measles vaccine doesn't cure you once you already have measles. You need to get it before you're exposed to measles.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Dumb tactics.

If you are going for a plan like that why would you want to disempower your allies first? And for that matter, why go on the trip alone?

And finally why did they pass up the obvious sappy romance line -- "I'll plunder you last so I know we we will be together."

Off topic but:
Quote:
Just like the measles vaccine doesn't cure you once you already have measles. You need to get it before you're exposed to measles.

Actually you are better off not getting the vaccine if you are a kid. If you get the measles you will get immunity for life -- not just the temporary type the vaccine gives.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't completely remember if the vaccine was a cure or a prevention after the scientist waffled on abit.

But still, how the heck is Yuu meant to find all the ability users throughout the world before he becomes an adult? At least my video theory gives some hope to accomplishing that, rather than visiting each one personally. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16