• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Utawarerumono: The False Faces

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
chex mix wrote:
I don't think it's so much Haku being strong as the fact that the guy was visibly shaken by seeing him with Hakuoro's fan all of the sudden like that.

Are we still getting reviews for this show, btw?

Yup, just had a week off. Review for past two episodes goes up today.

Nice, I was actually curious about your review for these last two (that were really not bad, compared to the poor adaptation we are getting overall.
McMillan&Wife

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame how the anime adaption has panned out with adapting the characters for False Mask. Because I can say that I like them a lot more as a whole then the first cast. A lot of detail has gone into meaningless things and Atui, Lulutie, Nekone, and Yakutowaruto have received terrible treatment as a result. I also hate Aruruu too but whatever.

Also, the reason that Munechika is having these strong feelings of Haku and stuff, and how Anju feels around him, thats the "charisma" Kuon talked of in episode 4. That's just the genetic power humans have over the animal people like what Hakuoro had. They were engineered to be subservient to humans to make them easier to control for experiments. Doesnt remove free will but Emperor didn't mention that in the anime.

The anime also has removed a lot of instances of where Haku has been useful and shown where he is a strategic mind like Hakuoro was. He should have saved Anju in the fake kidnapping, he should have led the hostage rescue situation in Uzurussia, he would have had strategized taking down the gang of slimes in the lab. And this episode also takes out what he did in regards to taking down Kurou's base camp. spoiler[In the VN Haku reinvents the hot air balloon and is able to sneak into the camp from up high in an area with few guards. They fight Kurou and Yakutowaruto destroys the supplies by destroying the support pillars to the tower and the supplies roll off a cliff.]
The next game is him going have to basically do what Hakuoro did and reunite a country and conduct war. The VN makes sure to show instances he's capable of doing that but the anime does not and it feels much more like an ad than it does an adaption like the first anime.

Also, this was skipped in episode 19. It's a comedic scene but it's important because foreshadowing. Because I said that, it might be best you dont read it if you want to get spoiled. You might see where it'll go.
spoiler[Oshutoru ask Haku to wait in his office while he's out and Haku thought it a funny idea to construct a paper mask like Oshutoru's and wear one of his spare outfits and pretend to be him. He does this and sees Nekone coming in and ends up tricking Nekone into sitting on his lap and feeding her candy and she believes its happening until the real Oshutoru walks in. She then knocks Haku out by hitting him in the face.]

And going into Tuskuru, they also skipped a meeting the emperor had with the generals and all the nobles. Oshutoru took Haku. Emperor asked Oshutoru what he thought and Oshutoru thought war was unneeded. The room got bustling because of this. Then to screw with him, the emperor asks Haku what he thinks. Haku agreed with Oshutoru and Vurai got mad, emperor had to tell him to quiet. It was a fun scene and wish it was animated.

They also in the anime gave lots of hints to who Kuon was in Tuskuru. In the game, Haku barely asks Kuon who she is because he has his own problems but they are really dangling it in their faces in the anime. In the game, Kuon just gets called Ojou once by Kurou.

I also really wouldnt call Yamato bad guys when Mito is actually wanting something that Hakuoro screwed him over on unknowingly.

Also theory time: I did not notice this in the game because the portraits are kind of different but in the anime it looks really similar. What if Woshizu is Haku's clone?
NormanS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
The reason why the pillar generals cant use their masks or why the Twins couldnt teleport the party into the camp is it is implied the Onkamiyamukai (the winged people, the race that Urutorii and Kamyu are from) people are negating their magic.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, Mito can suck it, if that's the case. He's not entitled to anything and everything just because he's an original human and thinks that gives him the god-given right to run the world. Civilizations evolve and change according to people's free will. Too bad, so sad. It's his own fault for underestimating that. Also, he's like a billion years old. Did he just think he could run things forever because he said so? Because no.

Yamato is for sure the bad guys here. From Vurai's disregard for life, to Dekonpopo's nonsense, to Mito and his entitlement complex, it's been pretty clear about that. If the VN is different, well, this adaptation is shit, so, it's not surprising.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
McMillan&Wife wrote:

Also, this was skipped in episode 19. It's a comedic scene but it's important because foreshadowing. Because I said that, it might be best you dont read it if you want to get spoiled. You might see where it'll go.
spoiler[Oshutoru ask Haku to wait in his office while he's out and Haku thought it a funny idea to construct a paper mask like Oshutoru's and wear one of his spare outfits and pretend to be him. He does this and sees Nekone coming in and ends up tricking Nekone into sitting on his lap and feeding her candy and she believes its happening until the real Oshutoru walks in. She then knocks Haku out by hitting him in the face.]

I completely forgot about that. Nevermind, episode 19 was pretty bad adapted as well.

Quote:
And going into Tuskuru, they also skipped a meeting the emperor had with the generals and all the nobles. Oshutoru took Haku. Emperor asked Oshutoru what he thought and Oshutoru thought war was unneeded. The room got bustling because of this. Then to screw with him, the emperor asks Haku what he thinks. Haku agreed with Oshutoru and Vurai got mad, emperor had to tell him to quiet. It was a fun scene and wish it was animated.

I expected this part to be cut however, even if it was pretty amusing to read haha

Quote:
Also theory time: I did not notice this in the game because the portraits are kind of different but in the anime it looks really similar. What if Woshizu is Haku's clone?

I don't think so tbh, there isn't really any evidence of that so far (they love to put foreshadowing in this kind of stuff in this series).
McMillan&Wife

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Frankly, Mito can suck it, if that's the case. He's not entitled to anything and everything just because he's an original human and thinks that gives him the god-given right to run the world. Civilizations evolve and change according to people's free will. Too bad, so sad. It's his own fault for underestimating that. Also, he's like a billion years old. Did he just think he could run things forever because he said so? Because no.

Yamato is for sure the bad guys here. From Vurai's disregard for life, to Dekonpopo's nonsense, to Mito and his entitlement complex, it's been pretty clear about that. If the VN is different, well, this adaptation is shit, so, it's not surprising.

Who said Mito was entitled to anything? He has a legitimate reason to wage his own war. He doesnt want to run the world. He just wants his family and wants to do anything to do so. You can just turn it around and say Tuskuru are being dicks for keeping Hakuoro asleep just cause he wants too when there are tons of innocent people who cant die which he cursed. Emperor and Haku have a goal, and are going after it, not expecting anything to be given to them. Emperor asked entrance into the labs and was denied.

If it's not already clear, Vurai is most likely not going to be a part of Yamato at the end of False Mask, remember how the Emperor is everything to him and the emperor is thought to be dead. Tuskuru is just protecting their borders but please dont say Yamato is invading for no reason.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The explanation I heard for the supply train (in ep 19) was that the girls lead Kuon & co away and right after the supply train was attacked. So sure Yamato got one wagon-full of supplies but lost all of the rest (I honestly thought the guys just turned around and went back to the docks honestly but this explanation would make a lot more sense).
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I need to watch the OVA's sometime so I can learn more about those characters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
went back to rewatch some of the 2006 series to refresh my memory of some of the older characters, and damn the pacing is so much better. Not quite as much time spent on individual characters but there is no time wasted on random fluff, 7 episodes in and they have already gone from a tiny village to conquering an empire. Yea, kinda glad I hadn't just recently watched the older series or I would be feeling even more disappointed with the current one

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
ep 21,

Seriously, for the leading strategists and generals of the country the 8 pillars sure has a lot of idiots in it. They really think Oshutoru would poison the princess with tea he specifically says he prepared and then just happens to conveniently have some extra poison in his room that is found when it is searched. It's way too obvious, and then he's sentenced to be executed within a couple of hours

Somehow I think Vurai may actually end up helping Oshutoru as he's one of the only people he actually recognizes as being his equal, but we'll see.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
It's not so much that they're all idiots (though Dekonpopo certainly is!) as that one or more of the generals is making a power play and Munechika, one of the two generals who knows him the best and knows that Oshotaru would go out of his way for the princess, isn't around to stop it.

Even given that, though, I'll grant you that this seems like cliched railroading.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
McMillan&Wife

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
ep 21,

Seriously, for the leading strategists and generals of the country the 8 pillars sure has a lot of idiots in it. They really think Oshutoru would poison the princess with tea he specifically says he prepared and then just happens to conveniently have some extra poison in his room that is found when it is searched. It's way too obvious, and then he's sentenced to be executed within a couple of hours

Somehow I think Vurai may actually end up helping Oshutoru as he's one of the only people he actually recognizes as being his equal, but we'll see.

Not at all. The only people that actually like Oshutoru are Munechika and Mikazuchi. They dont like he's just some random village boy who came into power.
With the level of forensics these people have at the time, they cant properly do a great investigation. Raikou states the possibility that Oshutoru did this and just make it look like he's been framed. It's not a bad hypothesis, and the guys ultimately dont care who poisoned the princess and want to make a play for power.

This episode was actually pretty good. I have no complaints about it other than them arresting Oshutoru with his mask on.

In the game, Entua (the purple haired girl from uzurussia) is hired by Honoka as a maid. She was the one who handed Anju the tea and she later said that someone who looked like Oshutoru gave her the tea to give to the princess. So someone is trying to frame Oshutoru obviously..

I guess the anime writers just wrote out Entua. I think she'll be there in the third game. Dont know why they'd do that unless they dont have a script or idea for it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Even given that, though, I'll grant you that this seems like cliched railroading.

Par for the course, actually. We are looking at a level of jurisprudence that considers a confession extracted with torture to be valid.

Also, someone pointed out that Oshutoru could very well have set it up to look like he was framed. I think that was Dekonpopo who becomes for multiple reasons the most likely real culprit. So it isn't like they hand't thought of that.

And if we are being all tricky, many of the generals might have assented to the execution solely for the purpose of flushing out the conspiracy.

Lastly, Oshutoru IS actually guilty of failing to protect the princess. Some rulers would have had him executed -- or ordered seppuku -- for that even if he hadn't been the one to brew and serve the tea. He failed to anticipate, detect, and foil the plot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Good points, I guess I was looking at it from a modern society's perspective but if we are looking at Yamato as an ancient society more like Japan in the past, executing a general for a notable failure (being directly or indirectly responsible for the princess's poisoning) isn't that far fetched.

Granted, considering how often this show flips its standards around (women being in government positions, BL doujins existing etc) it's kind of hard to figure out what the standard is.
McMillan&Wife

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
Lulutie got a bad end of a stick in the anime adaption. You get to know a lot more about her in the anime. And the BL stuff is only mentioned a couple times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16