• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Although, I do have to admit that spoiler[he does respect what she is doing, because she was going all out mainly for one person, and that was Hatsuharu. She wanted the answer for him, and maybe that's one reason why Shigure didn't go as far as to lay a hand on her. Still, he finds it all amusing to just watch her go around like she was, because to him, the thing with the curse and the results he wants is all part of his game, and she is a pawn.]
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
But how he did that is very important. Shigure had a terrible manner of telling Rin the truth, especially because spoiler[ he destroys all her efforts piece by piece. Firstly he tells her that Ren couldn't have known the truth and he was very sure of this because "I know her well.... very...." (Wasn't he very ironic with this?!) Shigure basically destroys Rin's most dangerous and most hurtful effort in finding out a way to break the curse. She endangered her life for all this, her hair was cut and on top of it all she was locked up in the Nekotsuki's room from where she wouldn't have got out alive if it wasn't for Kureno. ] This is especially cruel from Shigure's part because he might have stopped all this.

Secondly he plays with her. spoiler[ Shigure almost says something like "It is a way but I am not sure that I should tell you... but then again maybe... so how about me telling you the truth?!" Even I was angered by his manner of telling her the truth, almost in a literary way, trying to get the suspanse to the ultimate level. ]

And finally by telling her that spoiler[ no matter what she does the curse is about to be lifted anyway, Shigure really became a cruel idiot since he could have spared someone a lot of sufferance. ] It's almost as if he likes everybody to suffer, not to be lonely in his pain.

I agree that Shigure spoiler[was very cruel in how he told the truth to Rin. However, I don't believe she would have accepted it before reaching that low point in her life. She might have wrote it off as Shigure teasing or outright lying to her. Before exhausting every option on her own, she wasn't ready to listen. ]

I found vol. 20 at Border's today! Very Happy Everyone just give a shout when they have their volume and we'll set aside a week or so to talk about it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Alright, volume 20 has finally made it's way onto the scene! Here's a little spoiler, but the front cover features Uochan!
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
... the front cover features Uochan!

Um, my cover features Machi. Maybe they changed it from your (Japanese, I assume) copy?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
... the front cover features Uochan!

Um, my cover features Machi. Maybe they changed it from your (Japanese, I assume) copy?

Oh, you know what you're right. I think the image I got was wrong then when I was looking it up. My bad.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

I agree that Shigure spoiler[was very cruel in how he told the truth to Rin. However, I don't believe she would have accepted it before reaching that low point in her life. She might have wrote it off as Shigure teasing or outright lying to her. Before exhausting every option on her own, she wasn't ready to listen. ]

You know, I think that this is a little questionable because if Rin spoiler[ was so desperate as to listen to Ren and risking so much as going to Akito's room then I think that she was a little too eager to listen to all the nonesense. But this is so like Shigure: no one knows what that man thinks and unfortunately nothing is explained. ]

Hey, guys, that means that soon we will be discussing volume 20. I already bought mine and it was a real bargain. Thank you God for the internet! Very Happy It arrives any day now.
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
You know, I think that this is a little questionable because if Rin spoiler[ was so desperate as to listen to Ren and risking so much as going to Akito's room then I think that she was a little too eager to listen to all the nonesense. But this is so like Shigure: no one knows what that man thinks and unfortunately nothing is explained. ]

That's true, but I see a difference because spoiler[Ren was telling Rin that there still was something she could do. No matter how farfetched the suggestion, it was another thing Rin could do to try and break the curse. Shigure was telling Rin that she didn't need to do anything. For someone as determined to break the curse as Rin, I don't think the "sit back, do nothing" message would be acceptable until she exhausted every other option.] But, it's all my opinion. Very Happy
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
I'll check and see. i thought it wasn't supposed to be out until next week though.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
I think that makes for a good point. It is possible that spoiler[just waiting for it to happen would not have been acceptable to her, and she would have ignored what Shigure told her. Maybe it was necessary for that to happen to her before she accepted the truth. ]Let's not forget that Shigure, no matter how dumb he might seem throughout the series, is actually a very smart person. He knows what he wants, and when the time is right, he gets it.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:06 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess you guys are right. Very Happy But I still wish that Shigure would have pulled something earlier, before Rin going through her worst trials. Still since I think that he didn't see it as being in his best interest he stood back and let the things evolve in their own way without caring much until the right moment came for him. Still I believe that this discussion finally made Rin spoiler[ stop for a bit and reassess her priorities and especially after what happened to her I think that Shigure's words had an effect in her. ]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
I don't think that Shigure spoiler[actually knows how to break the curse, he just knows that it's going to happen. if he has any idea, he just knows that some massive change must happen to the Sohma house for the curse to break. he can't directly break the curse, so he creates situations wherein there is the potential to break it.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Well here's the thing. Shigure stated that spoiler[there has never been a time in the Sohma family history when all 13 of the Zodiac members have been alive. Therefore he got the idea that it must be getting to that point in time when the Zodiac will be no more, that this is their final "celebration."]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Of course, Shigure didn't have a real idea about spoiler[ how to really truly break the curse, but at the same time, as fighter has mentioned, he did have some knowledge about it. Not just the fact that for the very first time the zodiac is born completly but also because of the transformations that they have undertaken such as Hatori is not transforming into a dragon anymore or Kisa is just a baby tiger. In Shigure's mind these are all signs. Shigure doesn't know how the curse could be broken but at the same time he has the strong feeling that it will be broken sooner or later. I think that at the end of the discussion it is clear that Rin now is satisfied even with the "later" bit as long as it will be over in the end. ]
FireMiko-Kagomechan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Hi I'm new here and everything, but I figured I might as well jump into this thread. While we're on the topic of Shigure, I was always wondering, spoiler[just what was that dream he had all about???? I mean we find out later on in the manga that it was about Akito, and how the spirits cried out to their ''God.'' But for some reason it seemed to have affected Shigure diffrently than the others, and he became obsessed with the dream, and Akito. Why him and not the others???? Does anyone have any thoughts on this elusive dream??]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
FireMiko-Kagomechan wrote:
Hi I'm new here and everything, but I figured I might as well jump into this thread. While we're on the topic of Shigure, I was always wondering, spoiler[just what was that dream he had all about???? I mean we find out later on in the manga that it was about Akito, and how the spirits cried out to their ''God.'' But for some reason it seemed to have affected Shigure diffrently than the others, and he became obsessed with the dream, and Akito. Why him and not the others???? Does anyone have any thoughts on this elusive dream??]

For everyone else, (MAKE SURE YOU'VE READ TO VOL 17) spoiler[even Kureno who is blessed/cursed enough to be chosen to have a physical relationship with "God" herself, the dream was just part of the bond, part of the curse. The Zodiac animals were drawn to their god, but the characters themselves were drawn against their will. Shigure however, is genuinely in love with Akito as a man to a woman, regardless of the curse. (Those wretches really were made for each other.) He fell in love with her, and the curse that binds him to her is, weirdly enough, nothing but a hindrance to that love.]

Also...VOL 20 is OUT?!?! *plans to run to store on Saturday...both bookstores--one's bound to have a copy*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 140 of 170