• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Charlotte (TV 2015).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Actually you are better off not getting the vaccine if you are a kid. If you get the measles you will get immunity for life -- not just the temporary type the vaccine gives.

Assuming you live through having the measles, or you're ok with risking going blind or deaf. Though I guess if it kills you, it's true you won't get it again. But it's pretty long lasting if you get the two-shot regimen, and certainly less risky and, even in the best case, less miserable, than having measles. You can always get another vaccination as an adult if you need to. As long as people vaccinate their kids, you probably won't need to. We had pretty much eradicated it in the US until people started opting out and putting everyone at risk.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Misa: This seems like a sensible time for me to fade out.

Well...Yea. You and the blue haired guy are the two most poorly handled characters in the entire series. And in a series that forces everything and lacks effective timing with all its characters other than Yu, that's saying something. It honestly boggles my mind that this series continues to get positive reviews :\ Maybe it's because I watched the first several episodes in one go, but this show is really mediocre, even by the standards of its genre. Boring.

I mean, the whole Misa visiting her parents scene was just so terrible. I get that there are time constraints because it's on television, but if you are so pressed for time the only way you can manage to have her deal with unresolved emotions was to put her in the hospital with Yu in one minute, and immediately have her whimper a few lines to her parents the very next minute, THEN DON'T DO IT! THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR THAT DILEMMA TO EVEN EXIST! THERE ARE MUCH BETTER WAYS THAT TIME COULD HAVE BEEN USED! I for the life of me cannot recall any indication that she felt a desire to speak to her parents again. And even if there are instances, shoving it into the build up to the series finale when she essentially hasn't appeared during these last "crucial" episodes is just awful.

I won't even get started on Nao's response to Yu. My gosh. I mean... Ugh.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Assuming you live through having the measles, or you're ok with risking going blind or deaf.

Do you know the number of fatalities recorded in the last 10 years due to measles in the U.S. according to the CDC data base? spoiler[Zero.] The number of deaths due to getting the vaccine? spoiler[More than that.]

As for complications, the number of life-threatening reactions recorded after vaccinations: spoiler[7,403]. Number of ER visits: spoiler[165,385.] According to the government data base.

I am by no means an anti-vaxxer, but the numbers are not what most people think they are.

P.S. this is the last posting I will do on this topic. I don't think the ANN forums are the right place for this and I half regret popping up on this. If you want my references then PM me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
I was strangely thinking in the episode that the topic might have something on 8th grade syndrome. "illnesses" that appear in childhood, with "powers". That our lead character was sporting an eyepatch was probably a contributing factor.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I was strangely thinking in the episode that the topic might have something on 8th grade syndrome. "illnesses" that appear in childhood, with "powers".

I have had a bit of a problem with them calling it an "illness" to begin with. If you want to be all sciencey about it you would call it a ET symbiosis or something.

The only real reasons to call it an "illness" would be a) kids sometimes go on a self destructive power trip (e.g. memory-blanked Yu) or b) evil scientists and international crime cartels will capture you and torture you. Neither of those things have much to do with the pathology of the micro-organism itself. In fact you would might a hard time categorizing it as a pathogen since it doesn't seem to ever harm the host.

A more typical kid's (and my) approach to this affliction would be like a T-Shirt I saw somewhere:

To Hell With Lab Safety. I Want My Superpowers!

I can't imagine an adolescent anywhere that wouldn't actually relish having special abilities even with the drawbacks listed above but apparently most of the characters here don't.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
^^^
Not disagreeing on the big point, but Shunsuke's blindness is a demonstrable way the symbiosis or whatever harms the host. And most everyone is shown having at least a drawback or limit to their power. Even Yu passes out when he possesses someone.

If the final episode and OVA want to go dark I guess it could show that Yu not only gains the power but harms himself in an opposite way when he gains each new one. If the abilities are an illness then Yu will be absolutely riddled with disease as he gains new powers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Fairly average show in the end imo. I mean, it started off good and I had quite a lot of fun watching the first half. Then the drama stuff happened and I really just wasn't into it.

The power stuff had a lot of potential imo though and the songs used in the finale was memorable. As for the finale itself, it just felt anti-climatic. The romance also felt dense for the show so in the end, I guess I'll say that I'm disappointed in the overall direction that Charlotte went with.

It was so-so.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
This is quiet clearly a season's worth of action events crunched down into the span of a single episode.

I had Phantom Pain's Sins of the Father playing in my head as Punished "Venom" Yuu tracked down Espers in Africa and Afhganistan.

Something that can be said is that this show went places that the typical viewer wouldn't expect within the first few episode.

Weather or not it was worth the trip is per viewers tastes, in some ways the show might have been better served limiting the path.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to forget that this episode actually happened and say the series finished last week.

So I'm going to rate this twelve episode series Excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish, the animation was really nice, the characters were fun and the soundtrack worked seamlessly.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
This is quiet clearly a season's worth of action events crunched down into the span of a single episode.

However I did find it interesting nonetheless. Yuu managed to not walk the path of spoiler[Light Yagami.] Was it convincing? I say partly.

They sure had to pump a lot of budget into the background artwork on this one. Did anyone count how many countries he went through?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... so it was "a city in the United Kingdom" (with what looked like the Big Ben in the backround), but then "Manhattan, New York".

FenixFiesta wrote:

This show needed another cour's worth of episodes to make good use of its story and setting. Was a fairly good finale nonetheless.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
This show was a complete mess. Where were all the drawbacks to all the powers Yu plundered? In the end all he suffered was sleep deprivation and amnesia, the weird type of fictional amnesia that affected his memories of important people he met before the mission, but not the purpose of the mission itself.

And those are just my big complaints of the final ep. I also got little niggling issues, like the illogical way he traveled the world, the fact that he went alone on a crucial, dangerous mission when he had no language skills and a tendency to use "collapse" if things didn't go his way...etc. This whole show was a mess, and its way of handling characters was too inconsistent to save it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:15 am Reply with quote
Most of drawbacks do little or no harm to the body. Only yuu's brother's ability has huge side effect. Example, Tomori's ability has no side effect. You can say her invisible power has limitation, that about it.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:56 am Reply with quote
Looks like a lot changed since I last watched this.
Sipped a few episodes & now I'm pleasantly surprised.
This anime evolved quite a bit from the its beginning.
There was quite a load on Yu's shoulders.
His abilities were impressive, but his mission was practically an impossible one.
Intense final episode. Nice ending.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:48 am Reply with quote
I'll give this show a Good. I liked the characters, the humor and many of its twists, but whenever the show drove too far away from the established characters, it lost some of its charm. Also, the last episode kind of made this show end on a sour note. The writers must've known that viewers would deem Yuu saving the world too optimistic and not realistic. They tried to soften the problem with Yuu almost going crazy but still hanging on thanks to his goodluck charm, but... the problem still persists. It would've been slightly funny if his map showed two spots of ability users at the very end: he himself and his charm.
That problem would've been easily solved, had they made the outbreak of the disease fairly limited. It's not a stretch at all that a small meteorite would've crashed somewhere in mount Fuji instead of this Charlotte meteor that infected the intire world. That would make working as a team also far easier to do, which is better than going on a plundering spree alone. I see a perfect happy ending in this alternative.

Another option would've been to slightly alter the entire show and making it less serious and more humorous. That way, when Yuu came back, they could've said something among the lines of: 'Did he really do it?' 'Nah he was just messing with us' 'We'll be dead by tomorrow!' 'I know, if we are going to die anyway, then-' *insert desastrous party plan accidentally killing everyone in the world* *the end*
They did add some nice touches, like deliberately not bringing back Kumagami.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16