• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Snow White with the Red Hair

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandisaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I've been assuming that this season will also be 12 eps, like S1. Does anyone know of the actual target episode count?

If it is 12, maybe there'll be time for Kiki's story as well.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
I've been assuming that this season will also be 12 eps, like S1. Does anyone know of the actual target episode count?

If it is 12, maybe there'll be time for Kiki's story as well.

MAL lists it at 12 eps. Wikipedia lists the whole series, i.e. both seasons combined, as 24. So yeah you assume correctly
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I thought that this "wrap up the kidnapping plot" episode was fairly well done. I would have liked for both Kazuki and Shirayuki's dad to acknowledge, fully and in no uncertain terms, that Kazuki SHOULD have spoken with Shirayuki prior to kidnapping her, asking her if she was being held against her will by the nobles in Clarines. Yes, they apologized for getting her mixed up with the Claw of the Sea thing, but they never quite say, "We're sorry we tried to kidnap you in the first place." They dance all around it, but never quite say it outright.

I kind of understand the bit about Shirayuki taking the fact that her father is the leader of the Lions in stride. I was a bit surprised about the "Oh, yeah, I knew that you weren't dead" part. I seem to recall the show stating, from her perspective, that she was taken in by her grandparents when her parents died. Given that she knew that it was when her mother died, that seems to be a bit misleading. Of course, this could be because the author hadn't come up with this bit of story line when she wrote the early part of the manga, but the people adapting it certainly DID, so they could easily have made the statement more vague. One presumes that the grandparents who raised her were her mother's parents, since her father's parents would have been part of that "land owning family"

Speaking of which, that entirely expected revelation does bring up several questions:
1. Is there some other sort of "land owning family" other than Nobles?
2. If a son of a noble family is disinherited, does that make him no longer noble, or just a poor noble?
3. If her mother was slated to be the bride of her father's uncle, doesn't that suggest that she was, at the very least, of suitable lineage to be an acceptable bride of a noble? (Given that the answer to #1 is "no, nobles are the land owners in this culture.")
4. So if her father was born a noble and her mother was a suitable bride for a noble, doesn't that make Shirayuki, at the very least, a suitable bride for a noble? (Whether that translates to a suitable bride for a ROYAL is an entirely different question...)

I'm sure that the topic will come up again.

The other thing that I was a little upset with in this arc was the fact that, even though Zen informed his brother that he intends to marry Shirayuki and informed her father that he loves her, he did not actually tell Raj, in no uncertain terms, that he and Shirayuki are intending to marry. In addition, Shirayuki never outright told Raj that she is in love with Zen, it is mutual, and that any interaction between them will, of necessity, be at the level of "friends" at best. She told him that she would enjoy it if he visited as a friend, but that is not quite the same thing...

I expect that this has to do with the general understated style of speaking that most of the people have in the story. They generally imply rather than saying things outright. That is proper courtly manners. To speak too boldly of personal matters is, after all, rather unsophisticated.

I suppose that Raj will have to find out the extent of their relationship when he receives his wedding invitation...

I look forward to more Zen-Shirayuki moments in the coming weeks. That has been sorely missing in this season.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I thought that this "wrap up the kidnapping plot" episode was fairly well done. I would have liked for both Kazuki and Shirayuki's dad to acknowledge, fully and in no uncertain terms, that Kazuki SHOULD have spoken with Shirayuki prior to kidnapping her, asking her if she was being held against her will by the nobles in Clarines. Yes, they apologized for getting her mixed up with the Claw of the Sea thing, but they never quite say, "We're sorry we tried to kidnap you in the first place." They dance all around it, but never quite say it outright.

I kind of understand the bit about Shirayuki taking the fact that her father is the leader of the Lions in stride. I was a bit surprised about the "Oh, yeah, I knew that you weren't dead" part. I seem to recall the show stating, from her perspective, that she was taken in by her grandparents when her parents died. Given that she knew that it was when her mother died, that seems to be a bit misleading. Of course, this could be because the author hadn't come up with this bit of story line when she wrote the early part of the manga, but the people adapting it certainly DID, so they could easily have made the statement more vague. One presumes that the grandparents who raised her were her mother's parents, since her father's parents would have been part of that "land owning family"

Speaking of which, that entirely expected revelation does bring up several questions:
1. Is there some other sort of "land owning family" other than Nobles?
2. If a son of a noble family is disinherited, does that make him no longer noble, or just a poor noble?
3. If her mother was slated to be the bride of her father's uncle, doesn't that suggest that she was, at the very least, of suitable lineage to be an acceptable bride of a noble? (Given that the answer to #1 is "no, nobles are the land owners in this culture.")
4. So if her father was born a noble and her mother was a suitable bride for a noble, doesn't that make Shirayuki, at the very least, a suitable bride for a noble? (Whether that translates to a suitable bride for a ROYAL is an entirely different question...)

I'm sure that the topic will come up again.

The other thing that I was a little upset with in this arc was the fact that, even though Zen informed his brother that he intends to marry Shirayuki and informed her father that he loves her, he did not actually tell Raj, in no uncertain terms, that he and Shirayuki are intending to marry. In addition, Shirayuki never outright told Raj that she is in love with Zen, it is mutual, and that any interaction between them will, of necessity, be at the level of "friends" at best. She told him that she would enjoy it if he visited as a friend, but that is not quite the same thing...

I expect that this has to do with the general understated style of speaking that most of the people have in the story. They generally imply rather than saying things outright. That is proper courtly manners. To speak too boldly of personal matters is, after all, rather unsophisticated.

I suppose that Raj will have to find out the extent of their relationship when he receives his wedding invitation...

I look forward to more Zen-Shirayuki moments in the coming weeks. That has been sorely missing in this season.

I do think it means her family is nobles, as you wouldn't say someone is landowning if one was referring to the fact that they own the land that their home stands on and the yard around it. It implies a significant amount of land owned, which would be a noble in that day and age. I'm not sure her mom was necessarily suitable, as, if I'm not mistaken, they eloped because he wanted to marry her and the family was having none of it. Plus her grandparent's weren't nobles, who I also believe are her maternal grandparents as Mukaze called them her grandparents and not his parents. As to her suitability, I think nobility will be sufficient, unless his parents have someone in mind already who is of royal descent. Plus he is the second prince, so he isn't the first prize marriage wise for royals looking to marry off a daughter for political reasons. Also are his parents alive or is Izana his guardian?

I think Shirayuki hasn't quite admitted to herself that she is in love with Zen let alone anyone else. Also it might be a little rude for Zen to say to Raj "Hey, called dibs on that" and I think both are protecting his feelings by not just shooting him down at the first opportunity.

On the matter of her saying she went to her grandparents because her parents died, she was likely told both died at the time, before she saw him at the bar. I think she didn't mention it as it would have made it complicated and she didn't have absolute confirmation that she has now. It may not have been planned from the beginning by the author though
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
...if I'm not mistaken, they eloped because he wanted to marry her and the family was having none of it.

They eloped to prevent her being married to his uncle. That's why he was disinherited.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
...if I'm not mistaken, they eloped because he wanted to marry her and the family was having none of it.

They eloped to prevent her being married to his uncle. That's why he was disinherited.

Yeah I remembered after I went to work and didn't edit in time.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

I see this as Zen making sure that Shirayuki is completely free and clear in her choices. If she might really want Raj, he'll give her the opportunity to choose him. I think his brother is at play in this as well.

Shirayuki, well, she just isn't as open add Zen is.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

[snip]

I honestly don't think that Raj has any romantic interest in Shirayuki at this point...Lots of people were trying to push him into romancing her, but their relationship seems to be more friends then anything else. (Frankly, I think he finds her too intimidating to romance her at this point. Laughing )

He also seems to have already assumed that Zen and Shirayuki are in a relationship. When he visited Clarines in season 1, remember that he made that little faux pas of declaring to the court that they were engaged, and was later shocked to find out that they weren't sleeping with each other yet. Zen told him that wasn't the case, but he still seems to have a general idea of their romantic involvement. (What with the whole "if anything were to happen to Shirayuki, Zen will slaughter me" attitude he takes early on in this arc.)

zrnzle500 wrote:
Also are [Zen's] parents alive or is Izana his guardian?

If Zen's parents were dead, then wouldn't Izana be the king, not the first prince? I mean, given how small Zen was during the flashback to Izana's 16th birthday, Izana has to be at least in his mid 20's by now, so he should be more than old enough to inherit the throne.

Seriously, though, the Clarines royal parents are the biggest mystery of the series to me...I mean, Izana may be ranked as first prince, but he frequently seems to be acting as the de facto ruler...Are mom and dad on an extended vacation or something? Anime smile + sweatdrop
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
^There's an explanation for the parents but they won't get to it this season. It's in the manga though.

I agree that Raj is intimidated too much by Shirayuki to be in love with her now.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
^There's an explanation for the parents but they won't get to it this season. It's in the manga though.

Ah, good to know. I'm only around 10 and half volumes into the manga. I should really get caught up at some point.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
On my phone, so apologies in advance for my sparse quoting...

Quote:
Is Shirayuki a noble? Are/were her parents nobles?

It depends, but generally if her father was disinherited in disgrace, then any heirs (SY) lose their claim. Now, different countries, eras, and necessity can all change that, and storybook logic can apply, but Euro-traditionally, SY is the same merchant-class girl we always thought of her as.

Quote:
Why do they keep Raj hanging?

Raj thinks Zen & SY are a couple, and yeah, I agree that he's intimidated/scared by both of them. He implies at the end of the episode that he gave the matter real thought, but is cool with "just friends". Frankly, I chalked it up to character development & maturity - he can see that he would be a poor choice for SY, and she's happy doing her herbalist thing in Clarines.

Quote:
Clarines royal inheritance - Zen & Izana's parents, bride-matching for Zen & Izana

Even in the real world, this can get pretty complicated, and a lot of variables can be tossed out the window if circumstances warrant. That said, even as the second Prince, Zen has political obligations to make himself available to higher nobility within Clarinda and in other countries. It's not unreasonable to think Raj's kid sister could be a candidate, and there's a hilarious bit in the manga where spoiler[Kiki] is put forward as a potential match.

As for the parents, and why Izana is nominally in charge, it's mostly addressed in the manga. There are some amazing costume & scenery aspects to those parts, so it would be cool to see it in an OAV at some point.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Ep 21 - So it's to be character side-stories all the way to the end? I can get behind that Very Happy

Setting aside my "Faerie Prince Obi, Master of Shadows" pet-theory for a moment, this ep really epitomizes the easy-going, "comfort food" aspect that I feel is this series' strength. The arc plots are not really that dramatic or surprising (certainly not as gut-wrenching as say, Noragami or Yona at their best), but they make an effective framework to get us right there with the characters, just enjoying all the warm, cozy feelings of family/nakama. These chars are only supposed to have known each other for a year or less [Edit: more obviously for Zen/K&M], but they're very comfortable (and comforting, to us, the audience).

I'm going to miss this one when it's gone.

----------
Best non-Obi part of the ep for me: Mitsuhide calling for Kiki to "save" him from Trow-on-the-prowl. Kiki's all, "nope, he's free tonight". All the tactical & political training in the world couldn't get him out of that no-win situation :heh:
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
Best non-Obi part of the ep for me: Mitsuhide calling for Kiki to "save" him from Trow-on-the-prowl. Kiki's all, "nope, he's free tonight". All the tactical & political training in the world couldn't get him out of that no-win situation :heh:

I wonder if Mitsuhide was hoping that Kiki would be a bit jealous?
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
This was an incredibly sweet episode and to my surprise I loved it. It made all the characters a bit richer. I liked how self-aware it was in places too, talking about how the main characters hadn't changed though their relationship had etc. I loved every minute Obi and his seiyuu were on screen so to speak, and Kiku is starting to come into her own. Oh how I wish we got to see her arc. But at least we do see a bit more of her next time.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
I wonder if Mitsuhide was hoping that Kiki would be a bit jealous?

More like, if you know your g/f can best you with a sword, her wit, and probably any number of other weapons, then you want to avoid any "misunderstandings".

Mitsuhide knows he's claimed/promised - he's just waiting for Kiki to carry him off, Officer and a Gentleman-style Smile

Also, took me a moment, but great, subtle avatar :heh:

@sunflower - I'm hoping they splice in Kiki's story with the present-day stuff, like they did Mitsuhide's.

Last edited by mandisaw on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 18