• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Utawarerumono: The False Faces

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Also, someone pointed out that Oshutoru could very well have set it up to look like he was framed. I think that was Dekonpopo who becomes for multiple reasons the most likely real culprit. So it isn't like they hand't thought of that.

My compliments to Dekonpopo's acting skills, then, because he sure convinced me that he's a complete idiot who wouldn't be able to think himself out of a sinking barge without his trusted asskisser in tow. I'm not sure a plot twist like that can save the show, but... yeah.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22

Who picked up the mask? I'm sure I'm supposed to recognize the embroidery on the sleeve, but I stopped paying attention to such details long ago.

Speaking of Idiot Ball, I couldn't follow the whole thing about why he gave it up in the first place (or I've just forgotten why, from head-smashing induced amnesia). Or for that matter, if he could use it to rampage, why they didn't take it from him when he was first arrested.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Jacob's latest review... Yeah, sadly have to agree, this is one of the worst (if not the worst) political thriller I've seen in a while. Wish they'd get back to all those "tactical" battles... assuming they still have budget for it.

Also, I find it scary that Karura and Touka the "expatriates", of all people, own the knowledge of secret (and unguarded!) access to the (presumably) imperial palace.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
As much as I enjoy this series, it's been pretty butchered from the game. They both came out roughly at the same time so there could have been misdirection on various parts. Yet to play the game but the anime makes this feel like it's all just build up to the 3rd and final one The Two Hakuoro which is set to release this fall with likely the 3rd season following along side or right after.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Did the anime (or more likely, the game) even confirm that Oshutoru is a clone of Haku? I saw people speculate about that but don't remember the story confirming it.
McMillan&Wife

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
Vurai picked up the mask, they'll have to get it back from him. Dekoponpo was never supposed to get the mask, Vurai was supposed to confiscate it in the cell from oshutoru but its the same end result whatever. Karura and Touka have a map to the underground because the reason they are there is to spy on Yamato. They probably haven't done much on that end but it helps them.

I thought these two episodes were actually pretty good.

wandering-dreamer wrote:
Did the anime (or more likely, the game) even confirm that Oshutoru is a clone of Haku? I saw people speculate about that but don't remember the story confirming it.

Oshutoru is NOT Haku's clone. Let me put cold water on that. You guys should know this already. Oshutoru has a dad and a sister. Do people forget this? They just look similar if you cover up the top half of their face, ie what the mask covers.
Do recall they have different eye colors and oshutoru has a mole on his face, different eyebrows. And going by Nekone, those are not stylistic features.

If anyone is the clone, it'd be woshizu. We dont learn anything about him in the game other than he draws BL.

And Oshutoru is not a brilliant strategist. He's just diplomatic, loyal, and strong. Being a strategist is not what he is known for. That's just Raikou and Haku in this game.

It's 100% true Oshutoru has been framed. Raikou counters this by saying Oshutoru could have been acting and make it seem like it was framed. All these people dont care about the princess, so they just want to scape goat Oshutoru for power. Is this not a easy concept. Oshutoru did not do it. Not at all. Atui's dad himself said that the only reason he cares for Yamato as a whole is because of Mito.

I dont see any game of idiot ball being played at all here. If the killer is not to be found, then what is Oshutoru's best thing to do? Die denying it and having his supporters riot or get rid of his supporters by confessing a lie?

Also, in the game, the emperor was killed. In fact, Honoka went into hiding throughout the entire part of the end of the game where the twins became worried. Honoka being in this episode when she should of been hiding signals to me that they arent thinking of a third anime. It's speculated that the emperor is playing dead, but what would that accomplish? How does that get him closer to the labs in Japan? If he thought that just making godzillas rampage in tuskuru was a smart idea, he'd have ordered vurai to do it. But it's a stupid strategy because the masks suck life energy.

Vurai was also supposed to try and make Anju kill herself for being a terrible heir. didn't happen though.

SPOILER FOR WHAT HAPPENS NEXT:
spoiler[Tuskuru isnt even in the equation. Vurai thinks Oshutoru really did kill emperor and poisoned princess and decides to go after the party. Party has to beat him.]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Glad Kokopo knocked some sense into Rurutie. Her friends kidnapped the princess (from the perspective of the generals) and freed the guy accused and sentenced to death for poisoning the princess. Both are likely capital offenses or at least the generals will interpret it that way. If she turned her friends in, they wouldn't get off with a warning, they'd be executed or at best die in prison. So yeah, turning in your friends is pretty dumb in this situation, aside from the "don't do what you don't believe" stuff.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
I feel good about the people I told to watch the first season of uta before watchign this one; at least they watched somethign entertaining. the worse is that I feel the slice fo life episodes were better.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Them staying in the capital makes the most sense from a meta perspective. They don't have the time to go through an entire series of events that would have to unfold for them to run to another country, deal with the political and inevitable military fallout of that act, and still resolve everything for the end of the series. In terms of the overall execution of the series they probably should have thought that out better to leave room for the endgame of actually escaping the capital. But then again, I'm not as critical of the SoL elements as everyone else, and I think it makes more sense overall that a kingdom as big and powerful as this one isn't so inept to let a group of little to no current power to run out of the country on a boat too easily, so I accept this state of events.
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't it said that they were doing two seasons ? I remember there was 2 pages on mal but they've since changed it that is the only explanation for the pacing
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I have a love/hate relationship with both seasons of Utawarerumono. I loved the first season until the last arc (which for me came out of nowhere and ended ruining my view on the lore for the series). While I believe that the second series is inferior to first in aspects of both characters and story telling, it helped me come to terms with the ending of the first season.I actually enjoyed alot of the SOL moments in the series and I actually like many of the cast members (though like with the previous series, the villains are pretty lame). I don't see everything coming to an end, next episode. Hopefully they'll get another season or else I don't see them leaving many fans satisfied.

That being said, I can understand why people are upset about how the series turned out.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As Nekone tries to heal her brother's wounds with a dismayed look on her face, our heroic doppelganger bros fantasize about running away to Ennakamui together, reuniting with the princess and Kuon, and living happily ever after, which tells me that Oshutoru might not live to see the next episode.

I'm pretty sure he died, it's classic "death scene" material after all. Unfortunatetly, at this point it's hard to care and Oshutoru is easily my favourite character, but in a sea of boring/under-developed characters (i'm looking at you, Haku!), that doesn't really mean a lot.

In retrospect, i would have prefered them to stick to slice of life with occassional equal opportunity fanservice because the actual plot was pretty meh...and i'm saying this as someone who hasn't watched the original series and had littlle to no expectations at all for this show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to figure out who the target audience is for this series. It's not the fans of the original series or games (I like both of those and have had to force myself to watch most of the episodes of this series just to see how it ends). And if you are not familiar with the original material then this series is just a mish mash of random stories with a really convoluted plot and a ton of references you're not going to get.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ust seeing him burst into flame when a human-Akuruturuka punches him

I think he does not burst inot flames by himself, but that vurai tried to burn him and haku has some weird vamprie like imomrtality, since that is the only thing that has been remotely hinted, if at all.
Yen50414

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out who the target audience is for this series. It's not the fans of the original series or games (I like both of those and have had to force myself to watch most of the episodes of this series just to see how it ends). And if you are not familiar with the original material then this series is just a mish mash of random stories with a really convoluted plot and a ton of references you're not going to get.

Giving my perspective as someone who've never heard of the series and just picked it up randomly. The mish mash of random stories makes it very slice-of-life like and didn't bother me at all. I figured they're there for character set up and we'll get into plot later, which happened even if immediately dropped. This season is clearly meant to set up for the third game/season, while that's annoying if they don't make a third season, I still enjoyed the silly interactions between the characters and the few fights they showed. If nothing else, it piqued my interest to check out the original series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16