• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Love Live! Sunshine!!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Nitpick, Shiitake is female.

Also, flying bus in the preview made me hope that they were going to do Sky Journey, but alas, it was not to be.
Green Luthor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
FD2Raptor wrote:
Millhi wrote:
Quote:
Also, maybe they shouldn't be dancing in the middle of the street; it's unsafe.

While true, I had to laugh at this part. Where's the time when muse sang on a rooftop and in the middle of an airport with moving airplanes. This seems like a most normal thing LLS would do.

Yeah... The first episode of LL ended with Honoka ran out into the middle of Tokyo's street and danced around cars... so I'm not sure why there's a need to call attention that part now.

I don't think that's quite the same thing, though. Honoka dancing around in the street in s01e01 probably shouldn't be considered "real"; it's more akin to "musical reality" wherein characters in musicals spontaneously break out into perfectly choreographed song and dance numbers, even though no one "in universe" could have (or would have) created the song and/or choreography prior to that moment. (They hadn't even started writing any songs yet, or doing any practice whatsoever, yet Honoka, Umi, and Kotori all knew the music and lyrics and dance moves? No, it's just "musical logic".)

The Saint Aqours Snow show, however, was very much "real". We see the characters writing the song and practicing, the story prior to the event was all referencing and leading up to the performance... it's very obviously something that's actually happening in the story, not a musical digression.

For whatever that's worth...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Green Luthor wrote:
Honoka dancing around in the street in s01e01 probably shouldn't be considered "real"; it's more akin to "musical reality" wherein characters in musicals spontaneously break out into perfectly choreographed song and dance numbers, even though no one "in universe" could have (or would have) created the song and/or choreography prior to that moment. (They hadn't even started writing any songs yet, or doing any practice whatsoever, yet Honoka, Umi, and Kotori all knew the music and lyrics and dance moves? No, it's just "musical logic".)

Even in terms of "musical logic", it felt much less grounded in reality than a lot of the series' later performances. To compare it to another currently-running musical tv show, it was very similar to how Crazy Ex-Girlfriend treats its musical numbers, in the sense that it was more an indication of how the characters were actually feeling than an indication of what they were actually doing.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Green Luthor wrote:

I don't think that's quite the same thing, though. Honoka dancing around in the street in s01e01 probably shouldn't be considered "real"; it's more akin to "musical reality" wherein characters in musicals spontaneously break out into perfectly choreographed song and dance numbers, even though no one "in universe" could have (or would have) created the song and/or choreography prior to that moment. (They hadn't even started writing any songs yet, or doing any practice whatsoever, yet Honoka, Umi, and Kotori all knew the music and lyrics and dance moves? No, it's just "musical logic".)

The Saint Aqours Snow show, however, was very much "real". We see the characters writing the song and practicing, the story prior to the event was all referencing and leading up to the performance... it's very obviously something that's actually happening in the story, not a musical digression.

For whatever that's worth...

True, same with the first Sunshine song in the first season involving the second years at the end of the first episode, Kimetayo Hand in Hand.

Still, as I said before since they were dancing in the street officially as part of the Hakodate Christmas Festival, I would think that there wouldn't be any vehicles coming through the street during their performance. I mean, there are viewing areas shown along the street, so this was totally a thing planned out ahead of time.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 11 merch: an Uranohoshi Girls' Academy serving set. Thank you for attending the school closing festival.
tentensan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm really going to miss my girls when they're gone. I'm really attached to Aqours and I was really hoping we would get at least a 3rd season. Aqours didn't last as long as Muse and I was hoping they would get more time to shine but, all good things must come to an end. Hopefully the All Stars game coming out will make them last longer. I want more of my sweet angel You-chan. Anyways, about the episode, this was really nice! I mean, the part where the whole school was singing with Aqours at the end of the ending was really sweet but also sad. I kind of wish now that their school made it and was saved. Even if people started complaining.
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Don't know about 3rd season or movie, but the radio for LLSS will hold its host personalities election again next year, so it's not like Aquors is going to go away anytime soon.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This ep was great also the cameos were cool
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 12 merch: a t-shirt showing the Aqours' members count-off on the front, with all nine together and a shot of the dome on the back. "From zero to one! And from one to something even greater!"
Millhi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It also happens to be where µ's Umi volunteered as a shrine maiden

Should be Nozomi?
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
Quote:
It also happens to be where µ's Umi volunteered as a shrine maiden

Should be Nozomi?

Beat me to it. Nontan was the shrine maiden (and the other third years were roped in to help on New Year's one time late in the second season) at Kanda Myojin, not Umi.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to think about next episode. But in parts.

This one was really enjoyable. The girls having fun and the tranquility before "Storm" (the climax). So The dance at the end was really nice, I like the outfits.

About next episode, the only thing I can wait is the conclusion (but considering, in my opinion, Sunshine is most of times a copy paste of the first Love Live, maybe at the end SUnrise will be announcing a movie. Or maybe not. Only predictions.)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Name error has been corrected. Sorry, just got back from holiday travels~
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
The episode doesn't call attention to it, but it's only fitting that they plant the Love Live victory flag right in the middle of the beach:

…because the first glimpse we got of Love Live! Sunshine!! was a fold-out ad in Dengeki G's Magazine in April 2015, showing just Chika in that same spot:

And, for a final post of episode-specific merchandise, ep 13 offers a wallscroll of Aqours in their school uniforms:
tentensan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to miss Aqours. I mean, I know that they have a movie coming up but I wanted them to have another season too. Through all of this season, a lot of people have been hitting down on Aqours even harder than before. I don't knoe, I feel like they got criticized for so many small things unlike Muse who made those same mistakes. People kept sayjng how "Oh they should have focused more on the Love Live instead of their school failing" and I'm like, why? That was the main focus since season one. They wanted to show that Aqours wouldn't be as successful as Muse and that even though theh didn't save their school, they were still going to try to become victorious anyways.

I watched the original Love Live series, it made some mistakes and it wasn't perfect but I still loved it anyways. People were much more forgiving for their mistakes than Aqours. Maybe they just hate Aqours since Muse had to end but I find it all ridiculous. I love both of them no matter what and after this amazing season, Aqours has a place right next to Muse in my heart. Are they perfect? No. None of them are. Both Muse and Aqours. However, that's why I like them. They aren't flawless and they aren't professionals either. They're just girls who got each other backs through thick and thin. So, hopefully after the movie of Aqours and their eventual final live. When another group comes around, I hope I could go through the same emotions I went through with Aqours and Muse all over again.

I love the Love Live series! I hope they continue to keep making more groups. It wouldn't be same in the idol world without them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16