• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tales of Zestiria the X

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skywardprincessoftime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
This week's dub threw me off guard with Bryce (or at least someone who sounds just like him) as Sorey, so I did some poking around - per his twitter, Robbie Daymond is sick and lost his voice. I'm sure it's a temporary fix.

Hearing Asbel's voice out of Sorey was just weird. Shocked
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
skywardprincessoftime wrote:
This week's dub threw me off guard with Bryce (or at least someone who sounds just like him) as Sorey, so I did some poking around - per his twitter, Robbie Daymond is sick and lost his voice. I'm sure it's a temporary fix.

Thanks for the update. I hope he feels better soon.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
skywardprincessoftime wrote:

Hearing Asbel's voice out of Sorey was just weird. Shocked

Asbel? you mean the one from tales of graces f? uh Bryce didn't voiced asbel. that was Yuri Lowenthal.

regardless, if its temporarily then there nothing to worry since this happen in ep 10 when arron dismuke was used to voice michelo for that one ep, then the original voice came back in ep 11.

but what have me really concerned his daymond losing his voice. i really really hope that this isnt the same thing that happen to jessica when her vocal chords got shredded during recording of excel saga. considering that a male and female's vocal chords are different, if voice issues its exactly the same, its possible that the replacement might be permanent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
skywardprincessoftime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
asbel? you mean the one from tales of graces f? uh Bryce didn't voiced asbel. that was Yuri Lowenthal.

Asbel from Graces F is voiced by Bryce. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2318691/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast (IMDB) It's sadly one of his lesser-known roles. I rarely hear him get questions about it at cons (and I'm so happy when he does!) It's probably my favorite role of his.

I believe Robbie also lost his voice last year when they were dubbing the first few episodes of X, too. Judging by his twitter, he seems to have lost his voice from a cold (although he probably tried to work through his cold) but I hope he takes care of his voice. He's got a very unique voice and is a talented actor and one of my favorites.

Aaron Dismuke as Mikleo was also really weird, hahaha. Threw me for a loop, too. Kind of a shame Michael missed that episode, is that was one of Mikleo's most important episodes.

I wonder - if this gets a home release, would the episodes be re-dubbed with their original actors? I'd imagine so.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
In case Rebecca would like to link it in her episode review, here is Rising Up, the awesome song that was played in episode 20.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We're running out of episodes unless there's going to be another season announced, so I'm afraid we'll be seeing this faster pace for the remainder of the show. With Edna's brother's purification looming on the horizon, let's hope there aren't too many other threats that need to be taken care of, so that the remaining weeks can be given the time and impact that they deserve.

All they need to do is spoiler[take care of the Lord of Calamity. Easily doable in 4-6 episodes. They could even have Heldalf draw out Eizen as a mid boss or something.]

Then again I don't think we need to see spoiler[Eizen's purification. We saw how it works here and assumedly it would just be a repeat for Eizen. If he suddenly appeared in his Seraph form in the epilogue or something there'd be no confusion about why he's there.]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Asbel? you mean the one from tales of graces f? uh Bryce didn't voiced asbel. that was Yuri Lowenthal.

Bzzt, wrong. The only Tales hero Yuri Lowenthal voiced was Luke in Tales of the Abyss (and one of his most outstanding performances I might add). Bryce Papenbrook voiced the not-so-lovable idiot knight boy in Graces f.

Dessa wrote:
In case Rebecca would like to link it in her episode review, here is Rising Up, the awesome song that was played in episode 20.

I was going to mention Rising Up too. Zestiria the X may be playing out the story differently from the game, but it was still used in a battle against a dragon for the episode, so it pans out just fine. The one thing the game had over the anime's scenario is that spoiler[literally everyone was fighting together to defeat the dragon in Glaivend Basin]. The fact the anime did it spoiler[within Ladylake kind of makes it a bit less impactful, though I wonder how the hell everyone in town slept through all that racket anyway].

Much like the game though, the anime didn't make very good use of spoiler[Symonne aka Evil Madoka; she just literally shows up at the end of the episode to warn the heroes of Heldalf].

One nice little game reference is that Alisha spoiler[performs Spinning Top early on in the episode].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Bzzt, wrong. The only Tales hero Yuri Lowenthal voiced was Luke in Tales of the Abyss (and one of his most outstanding performances I might add). Bryce Papenbrook voiced the not-so-lovable idiot knight boy in Graces f.

You best not be talkin' smack about my boy Asbel.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
You best not be talkin' smack about my boy Asbel.

I'm not. It's just that I've seen a lot of hate spewed on Asbel, to the point his nickname in the fandom is Assbull.
Generations

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm not. It's just that I've seen a lot of hate spewed on Asbel, to the point his nickname in the fandom is Assbull.

I quite liked Asbel... in the beginning. Most of his character development happens in the 'early life' stage (the one that everyone skips) and the earliest part of the game, but after that, like so many JRPG heroes, he becomes incredibly vanilla and uninteresting.

Anywho, back to Zestiria. I was actually keeping a positive outlook for this season, despite my abysmally negative review of the first that stated the killing of many of the game's important story lore and early character development.

If there's anything the anime could improve on, it's the second half, because the game was sadly very low on both -- especially when Rose comes into the scene, who was far less interesting and three-dimensional a character than Alisha. And the second season, for the most part, did that. Rose's arc is waaaaay better here and the more Alisha the better.

HOWEVER, a few concerns of note. First off, about Alisha: spoiler[Bartlow does not die in the game. In fact, the entire council lives to pretty much make make Alisha's life terrible for the rest of the game. However, many of Alisha's sidequests also serve to point that while many of those who run the country are corrupt or greedy, they have positive qualities as well -- like actually knowing how to run many aspects of a country, which is something Alisha (until the very late) did not have much understanding of. While she had many good intentions, many of her actions are legwork and do not control behind the scenes, where politicians do their work. This made her naive, as she wonders why she had so little control over everything until later.] That said, I'm completely okay with this particular change, as with any change to Rose's story.

The changes I DO have a massive problems with are the following, both of which concerns the fight with Tiamat (the dragon). I was absolutely looking forward to the anime version of this fight from the game, which is one of my favourite cutscene-story-gameplay integrations of any game, and I am quite disappointed. In the game, spoiler[Tiamat was one of an NPC seraph couple that traveled around the world but wanted to avoid conflict. He was taken from his wife and dropped in the middle of the last war of the game between Rolance and Hyland. Affected by war's pure malevolence, he not only became a powerful dragon, he became a dragon that became nigh-unaffected by the Shepherd's power because of the war's continuing malevolence.]
spoiler[It was because of the combined powers of Sorey and his allies, as well as Rolance and Hyland's armies that managed to defeat Tiamat. While neither army had the purification necessary to defeat much less dent the beast (doing only 1 damage with each arrow for a total of 800, while you can do 800 with a single hit), their multiple hits serve you in combat by cancelling Tiamat's long-cast spell attacks, which requires multiple hits to stop. While the armies didn't have the power, your combined strengths allowed you to defeat an actual dragon -- something you haven't done the entire game up to this point (earlier dragon fights were really lesser dragons or drakes, this is the real legendary type).] I felt that scenario was way more appropriate than what happened in this episode, and definitely deserves the 'Rising Up' theme.

Second and lastly, probably the one that everyone has already talked about the most, unless they actually do something unique with it, spoiler[purifying a dragon is IMPOSSIBLE. That was the absolute constant in the game. You knew it from the very beginning when you get Edna, you found out as you played the game, and it's the same answer throughout: purifying a dragon is a lost cause. That's what made Eizen and Edna's case so tragic: she protected Eizen from getting killed by everyone else in the vain hope that he could be cured, letting people get killed by him in the process instead. Unless they pull off an amazing story bit down the line, I have no idea what this change is meant to do, because it's quite insulting to the source material.]

Interesting gameplay note though: if you fight Eizen before getting Zaveid, the story plays out a little differently, and Edna won't help you at all. it's a lot harder though, and I can't really recommend it until a New Game+.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Interesting gameplay note though: if you fight Eizen before getting Zaveid, the story plays out a little differently, and Edna won't help you at all. it's a lot harder though, and I can't really recommend it until a New Game+.

Actually, she won't help you even after Zaveid joins. I forgot what it is, but there's another plot trigger before you can actually fight with the full party.
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Actually, she won't help you even after Zaveid joins. I forgot what it is, but there's another plot trigger before you can actually fight with the full party.

Talking to Rose and having the 'I know what to do about Edna' option will allow you to trigger that final cutscene and eventually get Edna's 2nd mystic arte. Can't remember when it happens, but I think basically you have to be at the end of the game or have finished it at least once.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
The changes I DO have a massive problems with are the following, both of which concerns the fight with Tiamat (the dragon). I was absolutely looking forward to the anime version of this fight from the game, which is one of my favourite cutscene-story-gameplay integrations of any game, and I am quite disappointed.

While that would have been cool to see, it just doesn't fit the direction the show took. Potential war between Hyland and Rolance has been a non-issue since the end of the first season. Bartlow, the main guy pushing for the war, was too preoccupied with getting rid of Alisha (which makes sense since she was the main obstacle in him waging the war). We don't really get to see why Rolance was going to war, but I imagine now that Sorey has exposed what the church has been up to they'll be too busy with the internal investigation to consider war.

So having the war suddenly break out again wouldn't work. The emphasis this season has been on Sorey, Alisha, and Rose, so having those three work together to achieve something thought to be impossible is much more poignant. And Sorey was right: it wasn't impossible, it simply wasn't done before. There's no reason dragons can't be purified like any other hellion. It just takes a Shepard and 2 Squires to pull it off.
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So having the war suddenly break out again wouldn't work. The emphasis this season has been on Sorey, Alisha, and Rose, so having those three work together to achieve something thought to be impossible is much more poignant. And Sorey was right: it wasn't impossible, it simply wasn't done before. There's no reason dragons can't be purified like any other hellion. It just takes a Shepard and 2 Squires to pull it off.

Protagonists enjoy doing impossible actions. If anything, protagonists doing the impossible is kind of the basis of most stories. Sorey has already done a lot of things most people and Shepherds haven't done yet (and will do), so adding another one to the belt doesn't really add anything.

If anything, it counters the fact that there will always be something that can't be undone, there there is something that cannot be fixed with pure shounen protagonist will. It's not like he didn't try in the game. He promised he'd try to find a way, but he couldn't find it because it doesn't exist.

Very rarely did sidequests go in Sorey's favour in the game, even when he did the right thing or tried to do the right thing. But he wasn't doing those things because he knew it would lead to a happy ending, he did them because he believed it was the right thing to do. Having things go his way because he tried hard enough only makes his adventure this time around more stock and generic.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Sorey has already done a lot of things most people and Shepherds haven't done yet (and will do), so adding another one to the belt doesn't really add anything.

Not really. I mean, he doesn't have that many big achievements on his belt. He purified that drake and that dead dragon. That's about it.

He didn't save Ladylake in episode 7, the dragon just left on his own. His efforts to stop the war was futile and it was inevitably Rose who stopped it. He stood no chance against Heldalf. He didn't actually stop Rose from killing that prince guy. Sorey has considerably more failures so yeah, seeing him pull off a huge win felt good.

Generations wrote:
He promised he'd try to find a way, but he couldn't find it because it doesn't exist.

Only because he didn't have 2 active squires in the game. Now he does and it's sharing the burden with them that allowed him to succeed. That's probably the reason he's so much better than past Shepards: he didn't go it alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 19