• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best First Episode Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farichada

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:38 am Reply with quote
[quote="Aylinn"]Group D-1
Angel Beats!
vs.
Tiger & Bunny

Tiger & Bunny gets my vote. Angel Beats! Angel Beats seems polished, but not genuine. Don't get me wrong, both have great first episode but Tiger and Bunny's first episode seemed more real, and not another Key attempt to turn yet another emotionally muted/exaggerated tale into a figurine selling titan. Tiger's character also really hit a good note for me since it is a relief to have a hero cut from a more humble, altruistic path even if he isn't as young or buff as the rest.

Group D-2
R.O.D. the TV
vs.
Read or Die (the OVA)

Read or Die (the OVA) just by a tad since its opening episode is more straightforward and honest. The series takes a little more time to establish where it is going in the long haul.

Group D-3
Death Note
vs.
Princess Tutu

Death Note Princess Tutu is probably one of my top 5 favorite anime of all time, but I even have to admit that it's first episode outside of introducing us to the sinister dark fairy tale elements has little to make it truly outstanding. I really don't start shaking in my boot with Princess Tutu until about half way through when the dark elements are fully revealed and the consequences remain high for the heroine despite being an innocent shojo lead.

Death Note on the other hand makes a strong first impression with its distinct over the top charismatic villain protagonist and emotionally off, but brilliant hero antagonist. The contrast of the two characters is strong, and lets you know from the get go that there will be a battle of wits and it will be entertaining. The concept is of a death note is interesting and I also like how Light approaches it with cynicism and doubt. It is not until the power is proved that the Pandora box is opened, and there is no going back for L or Light.

Group D-4
Gunslinger Girl
vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Gunslinger Girl for more straight forward story telling and a stronger emotional impact. It may not hit hard with overplayed emotions, but the strained emotion and pain is felt even it is not explicit. Utena pales in comparison as being much more simplistic and not at all more straightforward. Utena is probably the stronger series in the long run, but it is only when the stake and characters are developed that it truly begins to shine. The uneasiness of these bred to kill adolescents, excellent pacing, and cool action makes Gunslinger Girl a much stronger first episode.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Question though, if the TV version is a sequel to the OVA, aren't both not allowed in the tournament? I thought in the nominations phase it was said that second seasons, specials and OVA's first episodes couldn't be counted if they were a sequel.

IIRC, the TV series is set in the same world but most of the main characters are completely original so it doesn't really continue the story of the OVA, though it sounds as though OVA characters do make appearances (I didn't get far enough in the series to see that though).
Ok, thanks! =)
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Question though, if the TV version is a sequel to the OVA, aren't both not allowed in the tournament? I thought in the nominations phase it was said that second seasons, specials and OVA's first episodes couldn't be counted if they were a sequel.

IIRC, the TV series is set in the same world but most of the main characters are completely original so it doesn't really continue the story of the OVA, though it sounds as though OVA characters do make appearances (I didn't get far enough in the series to see that though).

R.O.D. is a special case. Technically speaking, the TV series is a sequel; several important characters (including the star) from the OVA do pop up in the TV series and figure prominently into the second half, the story is distinctly set a few years after the events of the OVAs, and IIRC events from the OVAs are referenced. Both certainly happen in the same continuity. Because the TV series focuses on an entirely different set of characters and an entirely different plot arc, though, it's not a direct sequel in the sense that the two seasons of, say, Code Geass are - and that's more the case that the rule exists for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
ok, apart from D4, this is pretty much all blow out victories.
how many votes do you expect to still come in, Key?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:04 am Reply with quote
Whoops, forgot to vote earlier, even though they are all shows I've seen. I guess I was considering revisiting a couple and never got around to it.

Group D-1
Angel Beats!
vs.
Tiger & Bunny
Voting for: Angel Beats

Tiger and Bunny sets itself up well as a western influenced superhero anime but if it were a western cartoon it might just be considered “good.” I’ll take the mysterious and intriguing Angel Beats, which still avoids being too obtuse, over T&B.

Group D-2
R.O.D. the TV
vs.
Read or Die (the OVA)
Voting for: R.O.D. the TV

Toss up. Maybe this is a bit of a pity vote for the TV but I like how it starts at a more natural beginning. The foe isn’t a cloned historical genius figure with crazy powers and suspect “why the hell would they be evil lackeys?” motives, it’s a stalker with a bomb, and while the OVA nicely apes a super-powered James Bond super-spy atmosphere I think the TV does an even better job at aping its super-powered Heroic Trio (the characters namesakes)/ Charlies Angels style, punctuated perfectly with it’s music. The OVA also loses a slight point with me because I tend to think of the three episodes as a movie instead of three installments- there isn’t much chance I won’t continue with the show- I’m committed from the start.

Group D-3
Death Note
vs.
Princess Tutu
Voting for: Death Note

All that needs to be said has been said. Death Note -great set up. Princess Tutu, doesn’t represent the greatness of the show as it should and on its own doesn’t necessarily present a show you feel compelled to watch.

Group D-4
Gunslinger Girl
vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Voting for: Revolutionary Girl Utena

Gunslinger Girl runs too much on the shock of its premise. I’ll vote for Utena because of its unique presentation and playing with its fairy tale subject better than even Princess Tutu did in its first episode... seeing the other match-ups Key created, I’m surprised he didn’t put it together with Tutu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
ok, apart from D4, this is pretty much all blow out victories.
how many votes do you expect to still come in, Key?

At this point D-4 can easily go either way, as they're separated by only one vote. Barring a dramatic reversal (we do only have nine votes in so far), the other three are decided.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Angel Beats!
vs.
Tiger & Bunny

The idea of giving the superhero genre a new take on it is interesting. Why not have corporations advertise through super heroes. Of course, old school heroes tend to do things that may not be in the company's best interest. This is also an interesting take on the hard-boiled old school hero slash cocky young newcomer partnership.

My vote goes to: Tiger & Bunny.

Group D-2
R.O.D. the TV
vs.
Read or Die (the OVA)

Historical figures re-imagined as villains with superpowers. Two women with powers, phasing through things and controlling paper. This is some interesting first episode. The bibliophile, Yumiko Readman, also makes for an interesting character. It is great to see her talk on and on about books then get in a fight with nothing but a ream (500 sheets) of standard 8.5" x 11" paper as her weapon.

My vote goes to: Read or Die (the OVA).

Group D-3
Death Note
vs.
Princess Tutu

A very interesting take on the shonen. Instead of blowing up mountains and shouting out attacks, this is battle of minds and wits.

What do you get what a "typical" super genius that has the power to control the lives of people? A power crazed individual who sets to create a new world order. Oh, and the series, Death Note.

My vote goes to: Death Note.

Group D-4
Gunslinger Girl
vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena

The premise with the fairy tale introduction and silhouettes makes quite an impression. Utena's strong sense of justice makes her a very likeable character though she is in for a lot down the road.

My vote goes to: Revolutionary Girl Utena.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for not voting last time. Wow, this round sure has a lot of series with death in it.

Group D-1
Angel Beats!
vs.
Tiger & Bunny
Voting for: Angel Beats!
Viewing history: Only seen the first one
Angel Beats!: For a series where everybody's dead, it's quite funny. The action and animation is gorgeous and the episode shows signs that the fight will be more ambiguous than Yurippe and her clan make it seem. The questions Otonashi asks are valid. Aside from the old amnesia cliche there's no bad thing I can say about this episode.
Tiger & Bunny: The title sounds quite cute. This episode is quite original and you feel for the main character. It didn't engage me as much as Angel Beats did, maybe because there's more going on and everybody's hiding in a suit? And I'm not really a hero-mechafan.
So... both episodes are quite good, but I give Angel Beats! the vote.

Group D-2
R.O.D. the TV
vs.
Read or Die (the OVA)
Voting for: Read or Die (the OVA)
Viewing history: I died.
R.O.D. the TV: Wow, books are serious business. You can get killed if someone's jealous of your success. Luckily, three awesome sisters will help you! Okay, it will take some time for me to get used to this... plot. The supernatural element was thrown in in the second half, so it came kind of unexpected. And the writer's backstory is a bit corny.
Read or Die (the OVA): So, is this version 2? The opening looks cool. The supernatural element is introduced earlier as well. The Paper/Yumiko is a more interesting character than the writer from ROD the TV. Scratch that. She's awesome. Miss Deep as well! I liked this ep, it's way cooler.

Group D-3
Death Note
vs.
Princess Tutu
Viewing history: Seen both
Death Note: Well, after two episodes I was REALLY hooked, but the first episode is strong on it's own too. I have never seen a premise like this one before. Light already shows he's not an average main character (as in not really a good guy) and it's already exciting.
Princess Tutu: I didn't find Ahiru a memorable character in the first episode, being a typical stupid student who wants to get close to the guy she likes. The series takes a while to pick up.

Group D-4
Gunslinger Girl
vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena[/quote]
Viewing history: New to both
I don't have much time left, but I felt that the moe was a bit weird in combination with the serious topic of Gunslinger Girl. The premise and themes of Revolutionary Girl more suit my tastes. I'm a bit of a sucker for fairytalelike settings...
GDFan

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Angel Beats!
vs.
Tiger & Bunny

I have to admit I didn't even finish Tiger & Bunny's first episode. I just couldn't get into it at all. I don't like Hollywood superhero movies, there's no reason I would like an animiated version just because it's from Japan. I didn't get a chance to rewatch Angel Beats, but I remember it's first episode being an incredible viewing experience. Fun characters, great music, and firearms, how could you go wrong?

Group D-2
R.O.D. the TV
vs.
Read or Die (the OVA)

I haven't watched past the first episode of R.O.D. the TV, I'm not sure if it was appealing enough to me to continue with it. From what I remember, Read or Die OVA had some great action sequences and excellent animation overall. And the main heroine was awesome.

Group D-3
Death Note
vs.
Princess Tutu

I know Death Note is very popular, and Princess Tutu seems highly reguarded. I've seen both series' first episodes and have never continued with either. If I were to pick one to watch, it would be Princess Tutu, only because it seems like more my thing. But Death Note is clearly a better introduction to its characters and story.

Group D-4
Gunslinger Girl
vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Utena certainly had a good premise, unique style, and a likeable main character. I just don't think it is strong enough to defeat Gunslinger Girl, as I think it's at least slightly better in every way. The animation is far superior, and the premise is much more interesting. As far as first episodes, it is able to more thoroughly evoke an emotional response than most series in this tournament.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Angel Beats!
vs.
Tiger & Bunny

Angel Beats!: From what I hear from recent votes, unless Tiger & Bunny is something I'd expect to be interested in, I'm probably not going to find it interesting. Super heroey and full of mechs, no thanks. I'm about to watch Angel Beats! even though it doesn't really matter at this point, and given the likely blowout in this round in favor of AB! that's what I'm voting for too.

Group D-2
R.O.D. the TV
vs.
Read or Die (the OVA)

R.O.D. the TV: For some reason, I have always thought that this series suited itself better as a TV series. Because of the action, premise, historical context, colorful characters, I don't see why they needed to make a OAV out of it. Maybe because it had to many Western elements, they weren't sure how it was going to fare with TV audiences. The OAV was great, and I'm glad it spawned enough popularity for a TV series. But when I think of the title I think of R.O.D. the TV not the OAV and because of that, in addition to the 1st episode being excellent, it gets my vote.

Group D-3
Death Note
vs.
Princess Tutu

Death Note: Yep Death Note all the way. By all accounts I've heard, everyone who's watched Princess Tutu has loved it, but that weak 1st episode will probably prevent me from ever watching it myself. I stubbornly have this conviction that the show can't possibly be better than that silly, immature 1st episode. If it is fine, it's still a silly, immature 1st episode. Up against Death Note, no match. I went away from that episode with my jaw between my knees and an "OMG this is seriously awesome" in my mind. C'mon, an anime about the genius son of a detective who obtains a book that allows the user to kill anyone they want. Brilliant!

Group D-4
Gunslinger Girl
vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena

I feel like being evil and voting for Gunslinger Girl just because that looks like it will make it very close to the 1 or 2 vote margin. Truthfully, I'm leaning toward Gunslinger Girl anyway: Great animation, great character design and a thrilling introduction to the main characters. I don't really remember Utena being that exciting the 1st episode. It was certainly weird, so I think that's what most of it's charm was, but all the other episodes kind of stepped up the weirdness level. I'm kind of thinking as I'm typing, yeah I'll go with Gunslinger Girl.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Mon May 14, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Group D-1
Angel Beats!
vs.
Tiger & Bunny

Angel Beats!: From what I hear from recent votes, unless Tiger & Bunny is something I'd expect to be interested in, I'm probably not going to find it interesting. Super heroey and full of mechs, no thanks. I'm about to watch Angel Beats! even though it doesn't really matter at this point, and given the likely blowout in this round in favor of AB! that's what I'm voting for too.

I voted against it but I have to defend it, as it is actually a good superhero show that focuses on character quite a lot. Tiger being one of the best and most likable hero personalities you're likely to see in recent memory- and if you like shows that features more adults than teens, you got it. And there are no mechs in it, unless you count their slightly mechanized costumes. It's definitely good enough to deserve being in this tourney and you shouldn't discount it automatically for being a superhero show. It was a good series, not stupendous, but quite good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
By all accounts I've heard, everyone who's watched Princess Tutu has loved it, but that weak 1st episode will probably prevent me from ever watching it myself. I stubbornly have this conviction that the show can't possibly be better than that silly, immature 1st episode. If it is fine, it's still a silly, immature 1st episode.

"Immature" probably isn't the correct word for it. You have to remember that the series is specifically a blending of Western-style fairy tales and Japanese-style magical girl stories, and both of those storytelling styles are inherently designed to be accessible to younger audiences. That effect comes through quite well in the first episode and is present throughout the series, including predominating in the early episodes.

That being said, PT isn't one of the most beloved magical girl series in these forums without reason. It has an uncanny ability to grow on people, especially once the character of Princess Krahe is introduced as a rival around episode 6 or 7. When its music and storytelling come together just right, it's sublimely beautiful, and I have yet to talk to anyone who watched the series out and regretted it.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Angel Beats!
vs.
Tiger & Bunny

Viewing History: Own Angel Beats, viewed once through. First time on Tiger and Bunny.

I enjoyed Tiger and Bunny, but the episode did not do much for me. For me the premise, and the humor were the best things going for it. Angel Beats has a better premise, and just as much humor, although a different, if darker style. Plus Angel Beats has a full out firefight while a Girl Rock Band is literally blowing out the cafeteria.

Voting: Angel Beats.

Group D-2
R.O.D. the TV
vs.
Read or Die (the OVA)

Viewing History: Own the Ova series, seen once. Netflixed the TV series.

Upon revisiting both, the OVA practically screamed out "Look at me, look at all this crazy stuff! I am an OVA!"
I felt that the slightly toned down paper action in the TV series, plus a bigger cast of characters and a less ridiculous villain impressed me more.

Voting for: Read Or Die - TV.

Group D-3
Death Note
vs.
Princess Tutu

Viewing History: Own Princess Tutu, been through it twice. I caught the premier of Death Note on Adult Swim, tivoed it and have watched it around 4 times.

Princess Tutu introduces us to what becomes one of the most likable character ever, one that you can not help but root for in Duck.

Deathnote introduces us to one of the most instantly unlikable main characters ever.
That said, Deathnote's first episode is better in just about every measurable category.
I finished Tutu, made it to about episode 12 of Death Note.
So do not be swayed by the lackluster first episode of Tutu, it stays with you.

Voting for: Deathnote.

Group D-4
Gunslinger Girl
vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Viewing History: Own both and have watched each first episode 3 times.

There is so much that is pretty cool about the 1st episode of Utena, but most of it comes from having it repeatedly beaten into you over the course of the series.

Gunslinger Girl on the other hand hits me like a ton of bricks every time. The opening animation and song has to be one of the most appropriate English Language anime openers.
The scene where Jose comes into Henrietta's hostpital room and lays the gun on the bed is very powerful.
I am a sucker for gun pornography (nicely detailed guns and their use), and the firefight in this episode has it by the truckload.
My toughest call this round.
Voting for: Gunslinger Girl.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Incidentally, the Princess Tutu link is broken.

Group D-1
Angel Beats!
vs.
Tiger & Bunny

Vote for: Tiger & Bunny

Angel Beats is slick, but it doesn't really do a lot aside from pretending to be a music video until later. I almost dropped it the first time I watched it. Tiger and Bunny goes nuts right out of the gate and combines a likable hero with an awesome premise.

Group D-2
R.O.D. the TV
vs.
Read or Die (the OVA)

Vote for: ROD OVA

I'm not a big fan of either to be honest, but the OVA at least has some cool villains.

Group D-3
Death Note
vs.
Princess Tutu

Vote for: Death Note

Not much to be said that hasn't already. Princess Tutu is imaginative but not that interesting until later, whereas Death Note grabs you right out of the gate.

Group D-4
Gunslinger Girl
vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Vote for: Revolutionary Girl Utena

Utena has one of my favorite first episodes. I love the artistry, the music, the first duel...well, I said everything I really wanted to say in the nomination. GG is the tricky part. It's interesting, but I'm having trouble buying into the premise...not sure I really want to continue with it.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Group D-1
Angel Beats!
vs.
Tiger & Bunny
Thoughts: Angel Beats I knew was going to be something special after the first episode, Tiger & Bunny had promise, but I was a bit more tentative about its prospects.
Voting for: Angel Beats!

Group D-2
R.O.D. the TV
vs.
Read or Die (OVA)
Thoughts: Both great starts to their series, impressive action scenes, female leads who don't put up with crap from dangerous criminals, but the OVA throws more into its first episode, and is just a little higher in quality.
Voting for: Read or Die (OVA)

Group D-3
Death Note
vs.
Princess Tutu
Thoughts: Princess Tutu has a good first episode, and while there are hints of something special to come, it does start off fairly standard for a magical girl show. Death Note really grabs the reigns right from the start.

Group D-4
Gunslinger Girl
vs.
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Thoughts: The unsettling nature of the premise of Gunslinger Girl creates an effective level of tension. The theatricality of Utena is captivating and well used. Also, the near emotionlessness of the girls in GSG makes it a little more difficult to get invested in them as quickly as it is to do with Utena, who manages to be masculine, yet not tomboyish.

Saffire wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Mini-game. Ggultra, NakedBeast, and Tris had strong rounds, the two former tied in first 2 points ahead of the third. There are still another three players just another 2 points back, so there's plenty of time for the leader board to shift.
Just a note, the round 1 total (marked as round 2) and the final total aren't matching up. It looks like the final total is adding the G column in again when it shouldn't.

Forgot to adjust that from previous tournaments were there was another round in between, I've fixed it for next round.

Also, I didn't realize that the share links from slightly different areas of the Mediafire user page direct to different versions of the file. I only ever upload an MS Office file. I'll double check before I post from now on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 43