• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non-Japanese stories that would make good anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
How about an anime adpation on James Cameroon's film Avatar? I think that film does have some potentials for an anime adaption.

Also, how about 24 TV series? I heard that the show is incredibly popular in Japan to the point that he is featured in a snack commercial in Japan (and yeah, the "Chuck Pauer" character from the Yatterman episode).

James Cameron is a good anime fan. I would like to see a anime anthology or a OVA of Avatar. For heck sake, do a Terminator anime OVA or anthology. Maybe the Terminator anime can take place after Salvation. 24 already has a anime, it's known as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Beside, the final season already end and there's no need for a 24 anime.

Also I found 2 game (well 1 is a webcomic) that would do well as anime.

X-blade: This game is heavily influenced by anime and I think it would do a good job as a anime. Also I recalled that this game sold better in Japan then USA. I would love Rie Kugimiya (who voiced Ayumi in the game) to reprise her role for the anime. I want the English VA to be replace (the one in the game suck so bad) like Kari Whalgren should voice her.

Blade Kitten:This webcomic soon to become a video game is also influenced by anime. So I thought why not give her a anime to help promote the game, that'll be included for a future Japanese release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Do no excessively quote. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
you know that I think about it, all the folk tales in the Brothers Grim book. That would be sick. Anime lacks in the horror department.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
you know that I think about it, all the folk tales in the Brothers Grim book. That would be sick. Anime lacks in the horror department.

Isn't there something like that already
Blackandredflag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
If it hasn't been said before...MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

It has everything a good anime series needs; bad-ass characters, hot women, awsome fight scene potential, rivalries, alternate dimensions, loads of already well established and interesting back story and climactic tournament ending where everyone dies except Scorpion(that's just me though).

I know I'm right here.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Due caution is strongly advised, Blackandredflag.
Whilst giving the franchise such treatment would allow its more objectionable themes to be displayed unashamedly, narrative matters would present quite a daunting challenge to those producing it. An excess of cast members would be the death of such a production, in virtue of the sheer difficulty of doing justice to each personal history outlined in the assortment of video games.

Inspiration could well be taken from existing attempts to use such a source as means of telling a story, but emulating such prior efforts might not be recommended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blackandredflag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Due caution is strongly advised, Blackandredflag.
Whilst giving the franchise such treatment would allow its more objectionable themes to be displayed unashamedly, narrative matters would present quite a daunting challenge to those producing it. An excess of cast members would be the death of such a production, in virtue of the sheer difficulty of doing justice to each personal history outlined in the assortment of video games.

Inspiration could well be taken from existing attempts to use such a source as means of telling a story, but emulating such prior efforts might not be recommended.

Ya, I get where your coming from man. I haven't seen much of the Street Fighter anime stuff, but it looks like it may suffer from what your talking about. But make it long enough and I'm sure you could get through enough of the most popular characters, and keep the less popular ones in the background. I mean who wants to see Sektor: Year One anyway.

Plus the first movie wasn't bad, and have you seen the the new MK: Rebirth trailor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk . I don't know about the whole realistic approach but still looks kind of exciting, if they do get around to making it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:20 am Reply with quote
Blackandredflag wrote:
If it hasn't been said before...MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

It has everything a good anime series needs; bad-ass characters, hot women, awsome fight scene potential, rivalries, alternate dimensions, loads of already well established and interesting back story and climactic tournament ending where everyone dies except Scorpion(that's just me though).

I know I'm right here.

Ya, I get where your coming from man. I haven't seen much of the Street Fighter anime stuff, but it looks like it may suffer from what your talking about. But make it long enough and I'm sure you could get through enough of the most popular characters

Hold on, Blackandredflag. The MK series was not very popular in Japan nor well-known in that country. I don't recommend that series to become a anime since that's not going to do well in Japan. I wouldn't mind a animated series with blood & gore but not anime.

But however if Capcom and Warner Bros (with Midway) ever plan a Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter (which may happen at some point) crossover fighting game. Then yes think a anime prequel for the game would fit in nicely.

I agree Mortal Kombat would look nice as a anime. But because this game is not popular or well-known in Japan. I don't want this anime to bomb in Japan, and I don't know how fan will react to a Mortal Kombat anime in USA. I would prefer a Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter anime prequel then a MK anime series/OVA.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:57 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see some Neil Gaiman prose done into anime. American Gods would have made a brilliant series. I dont think this sort of thing would look good in a movie- as far as I know the live action TV series based on Neverwhere was not that successful after all.
Novium

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see someone take the premise of the dystopian world of Anthony Burgess' Clockwork Orange and apply that to the world of 2010. I wouldn't be sure if this story would take place in Japan, England, or the far ends of space, but using that story to support the anime's narrative would be awesome.

Otherwise, an animated film about the Japanese internment camps that use similar themes/concepts from Roberto Begnini's Life is Beautiful.
Helices

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
Ben 10. Everyone always disagree's but I think that could be a really cool concept if like the NGE team took it over.
SpaceSavage

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Two series come to mind here. One would be the Black Magician trilogy and the Mortal Engines series.

both if done well I think would be plain amazing as an anime adaptation
Novium

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Helices wrote:
Ben 10. Everyone always disagree's but I think that could be a really cool concept if like the NGE team took it over.

If you mean Gainax by the NGE team, I'll assume it will be the wackiest, most ridiculous, and incomprehensibly awesome series to ever grace mankind. Hell, anything Gainax touches is insane (FLCL, Gurren Laggann). There's a new series by Gainax coming out that has a Powerpuff Girls design with some confusingly ridiculous premise.

But I digress.

A series set in the feudal era that's inspired by Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace would be very interesting. Or maybe a post-WWII Yakuza series that borrows elements from Mario Puzzo's Godfather novels would also be a treat.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
An OVA for the Predator or an anime version of Sweeny todd could work. And I think a Doctor who OVA could work.

I would also Say Supernatural, but they are already doing that. lol.
Elbereth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Ditto on The Dark Tower series. I only read the first three and a half books, but it was certainly surreal in a way typical to anime.

There is a book by Michael Ende called Momo which I also think would make a fantastic anime. Some of the scenes described are so pretty. In fact, this should specifically be a Miyazaki adaptation. The young heroine? Lilies that open with the hour? Grey Men who smoke away time?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17