• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
Ep 21: Grade B
While not great for me it was an improvement over last episode. My main beefs are that I wish they had given Mayor Hirakawa a little more screen time previously. Either another short speech or monologue about man and the environment or some more interaction by him with the parasytes. I agree with Nick's assessment in that I too felt a bit of "disconnect" with his character because there wasn't enough there about him for me and therefore it softens some of his impact. I also agree with Nick that sometimes I wish that the characters "just Stopped Talking". It was thankfully not as abusive as last episode, but I find it sometimes unnecessary and it feels like an attempt to stretch things out.

angelmcazares wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So does anyone else feel that implied sex scene to be really rushed. All the sudden they are having sex when she was not sure she knew who he was anymore.

To me it felt out of nowhere because Satomi seemed too distant from Shinichi, but I am glad they made love.

Pretty much what bs3311 and HaruhiToy stated. Once Shinichi's heart had been restored Murano recognized this and the distance between the two was closed. Murano later basically is saying "leave my man alone!" when the cop goes to school to recruit Shinichi. Its been clear that Murano is Shinichi's "fated one" from day one and she has been pretty loyal even thru all the ups and downs. So she was never really gone or too distant. Kanna never had a chance.

bs3311 wrote:
Quote:
they introduce a ruthless murderer who could point out parasites because he is a monster, essentially bringing us back to square one where parasites = monsters while episode 18 talked about how similar they are to humans as a whole.
If he was'nt brought up, then the whole arc with Kanna would be pointless since it introduces a person with this ability. This killer has trained it though.

I pretty much agree with everything you said in your post, but I disagree with some of the details here. Kanna's ability and the serial killer's are different. She could sense weakly the parasyte signals at a distance. He doesn't sense their signals instead I guess you could say that he is highly aware of humans on a physical and emotional level. He instinctively can tell predator and prey apart. But I totally agree the killer has a purpose in the story.

Actar wrote:
...In my opinion, reviewers, at least one that contributes to prominent sites or whose reviews are widely read, are in a position of power to influence the others with their words and possibly color the opinions of a person unfairly before he or she is able to watch the show. This is especially the case if the reviewer doesn't make his or her stance clear enough. That's not fair to the reader nor the show...make it known to the reader that that's your opinion and tell us who might enjoy it as opposed to simply calling it a, I don't know, "gore fest that only sadists can jack off to" and leaving it at that. What do statements like that serve to accomplish?
I’m not trying to give you a hard time, but isn’t it assumed that what a reviewer writes is just that…his opinion? Anime reviews are subjective not some scientific fact. Plus, do people go into reviews with their critical thinking turned off? When I read a newspaper I don’t assume that everything is unbiased or doesn’t have a slant why would I assume that an Anime review wouldn’t be the same. Also “telling people who might enjoy it”? Are readers unaware of their own tastes? Plenty of people will see "gore fest" and say sounds like a show for me! Furthermore, there's a reason why people can give opinions on the reviews and that is to add detail or challenge the reviews if they feel they are off-base. I always check the forum posts to see how people are responding to a review.

Quote:
I'm not saying that there's a crusade (though there have been isolated incidents)
Interesting choice. Your use of crusade suggests a purposeful and continued agenda against a specific type of entertainment. I'm not quite seeing it with your example though. In particular since the same reviewer had this to say about Nisemonogatari:
Quote:
...fan-service deserves a special mention. It is, quite simply, fantastic. Full-motion animation and designs that don't ignore the laws of physics—close attention is paid to musculature, bone structure, and articulation—along with Shinbo and NisiOisin's libidinous imaginations make for fan-service that is erotically charged (and sometimes devilishly inventive) yet curiously tasteful; perhaps the closest pure titillation gets to being artful.
Remember when I said that everyone including reviewers have their limits? Obviously, Carl found Comic artist not just low brow or crude with its humor but just tasteless and maybe not even well done. He did commend "The attention to physiology in some of the fan-service is also pretty nice." So this does not strike me as out to attack a specific quality of shows or some agenda on his part.

Look I agree that there have been a few reviews that might have gone overboard (I think the reviewers could have chosen different language to express their distaste), but I don't see it as an agenda and readers have the opportunity to give feedback on the reviews. Again I'm not trying to attack you for your stance, but I respectfully disagree.
Sanyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
Shinichi got laid.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I knew that the boards would ask if we saw a boy on girl on Kiseijū sex scene or not (seinen is the best!) and the B makes sense to me. My problems were the lack of nudity/sex as it was needed here for one but most importantly was the slightly weird editing. It just felt "off".
Am i the only one who can´t believe how good the VA´s are? The last time in was so focused on the "acting" part of anime voice acting is when i binge watched LOGH. There have been a lot of well acted animes over the last few years and Baccano/DRR also stood out to me also but pretty much everyone here deserves some kind of award. This will be the part of the anime i will remember most. The music comes next. It would perfectly fit into a Hotline Miami game!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Am i the only one who can´t believe how good the VA´s are?

I am not surprised. Kana Hanazawa and Miyuki Sawashiro, for example, are among the greatest seiyuu.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
Am i the only one who can´t believe how good the VA´s are?

I am not surprised. Kana Hanazawa and Miyuki Sawashiro, for example, are among the greatest seiyuu.

Hey now, you can't not mention Shimazaki! Wink

Btw Nick, it's "Hirokawa" as opposed to "Hirakawa." ^^

At first I wasn't sure if they would fit the entire series in 26 episodes but the pacing has been good. I can't see them botching the ending an am excited to see the rest.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
^ don't forget Aya Hirano here. She's priceless as Migi.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
After this episode, I really started to feel this to be a generic shonen season finale. Because it is. The last hope of humanity is our hero that most likely will win. All that part when Shinichi was freaking out made me laugh a lot. I hope there is a good twist at the end, and if not, a very well animated battle might work.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
^ Emm I think you are a little confused. I'd understand you feel like this if it was in episode 19 when the police officer goes finding Shinichi (who at the end didn't do anything there other than being seen by Gotou), but this episode determined that it doesn't matter, parasytes have lost and cannot survive, even Gotou is just a savage beast more in the world instead of a reeeeal threat to mankind as a whole. The story has reduced the scale to Shinichi's individual life and that's his fear and resolve, not "saving mankind". And I didn't like the episode personally, but that's what it was about.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
^ don't forget Aya Hirano here. She's priceless as Migi.

True that! Her performance as Migi is top 10 voice acting in any field but don´t forget Rika. animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-10-16/parasyte-migi-gets-its-sound-effects-from-a-beatboxing-teenage-girl/.80014
She is a a year old DJ 17! I wonder how the hell LOGH will be cast as the OG version is still the golden standard in my book.
Saving mankind was never on the table as this is (actual) seinen. I understood that the Parasytes nevers stood a chance when i finished the first volume a dacede ago and i even read all 10 in one sitting. The one thing that surprisd me was the (perfect) ending and it should prove to be controversial very soon. I may bitch about the anime a bit here and there but Madhouse did well overall and this is as good as non ova adaptations get today. 2/3 of anime are midnight channel only btw. so we are watching mostly ova´s now in a way. This industry makes no sense!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Finally seen episode 21. I have a sneaking suspicion that those complaining that there wasn't enough done to make Hirokawa sympathetic are missing the point. He wasn't supposed to be sympathetic. He was a villain of comic-book-evil proportions and he was an environmentalist. That's not a combination that comes up often, but it's not unheard of, either (one or two of Tom Clancy's books have taken that slant, for instance, though I'll grant you it's exceedingly rare in anime). I think the commentary here was on the anti-humanism of some parts of the green movement.

I kind of feel like this show is dangling the old chestnut of "man is the real monster" in front of us, while at the same time disproving it. Man isn't the real monster in this show. Really, it isn't.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22 grade: B+

Other than the Migi circumstance, this episode was kind of boring to me. A change of pace is welcome, but I expected to see an episode with more urgency to wrap things up. But I suppose the remaining 2 episodes should be enough to gives us a worthy conclusion.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22 wasn't bad, but it was kind of boring. I felt that Migi's final words were kind of out of place. I know that he's been "humanizing" throughout the series, but it haven't seen him clearly cross that line from Parasyte to human until this instant, which made me feel that his final development was a little bit rushed.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Best episode in a while as far as I'm concerned.
mazzmoney

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

To reveal her true nature, whom he assumed was a monster. He was proven wrong, apalogizing his actions before he died.

I'm trying to look at it from his perspective. As the viewer, I understand what the scene was trying to do, I just didn't understand what he was gonna gain out of it. I get that he lost his family and essentially had little to live for, but I would have expected him to try and kill Reiko or something like that, not "reveal her true nature" which she probably already knew (from his POV, and mine at least). So he was gonna reveal her nature and what? Die? Lets say she was a monster (which was highly likely) what would he have gained. That's the thing with the whole scene, based on his knowledge, his actions just seemed kind of convenient, and I doubt someone who literally gusted their family killed (he presumed it was her right?) would act in such a way.

Quote:
Yet in the next episode she learned more about Shinichi's strong love towards his decised mother from pictures on the computer. There is a cheesy thing called, "a picture is worth a thousand words." None of those pictures have anything related to Tamura's behavior fitting a proper parenting lifestyle.
So she concluded that the child should'nt die, but be given a poper home instead of hers.

Maybe I think they should have done a better job explaining that then. That does clear up that part a little, but I still don't see why she 1) had to die, and 2) had to give up the baby. She claimed a few minutes prior that humans and parasites aren't all that different, so what is stopping her from being a good parent. Maybe on an instinctual level she wouldn't be a great mother, but I don't see why she had to die and not try. To me your point sounds like "tamura saw the photos and realized she was a shit mom and determined that the baby would be better in a proper home than hers, even though she didn't even try to be a good mother to the child. Thus she had to die." With her level of intellect, I don't see why she couldn't try, unless she deemed it impossible since parasites have no way of reproducing. Maybe the manga does a better job with this, because I thought this was pretty horribly portrayed in the anime.

Edit: I read that part of the manga, and in the manga she says "a human's child needs to be raised by a human" whereas in the anime her words are different, asking shinichi directly to raise the child as a human. The manga lines clear stuff up a bit, but I still find it weird (especially after reading the manga) how she says parasites are the same species and are children of humans, so it makes it weird that she feels she can't take care of a child so closely related to her. Besides that, I get now why she died, she felt living any longer and pursuing all these questions were pointless, because it would never stop and if it did, her response would be the same. I don't relate with that kind of thought, but hey, at least there was a reason for it. I guess she felt her life was pointless if she couldn't live for another person, like a child or a lover (which would explain the "I'm jealous" comment). It does make me appreciate this part of the show more, at the very least, but i still think the episodes after this are still bad.

Quote:
The first problem was the fact that they fired at her while she was holding a HUMAN BABY (shinichi told them so they knew) then stopped as she got too close to shinichi. Why? You guys had no qualms about killing a defenseless baby being held captive by a parasite, but once she got too close to some random high school kid we all of a sudden have to stop...........

Baby could be in foster care

Quote:
1. In the next episode they still had the baby under survelience because they were scared if being taken/birthed by a Parasyte would have any negative outcomes of it being not human.

2. Even though Tamiya was also protecting the infant. Kuramori just said it was a baby, no further specification if it was a human or parasyte. It was up for the decetcives/cops to decide. Just like in 21.

3. Shinichi was a previous suspect who has encoutured Tamura. He was used for the investigation.

4. Foster care would be better than living in a dark house being carried like a peice of crap being ordered to stop crying.

It's hard to gauge how cops would react in this situation considering theres a monster here so I'll leave this one be. I personally didn't see why they would shoot when there is a human life that could be harmed (a baby no less) but considering the events of episode 20-21 the cops obviously care little about human life.

Quote:
they introduce a ruthless murderer who could point out parasites because he is a monster, essentially bringing us back to square one where parasites = monsters while episode 18 talked about how similar they are to humans as a whole.

If he was'nt brought up, then the whole arc with Kanna would be pointless since it introduces a person with this ability. This killer has trained it though.

Both humans and parasytes can be monsters while having the potential to be better. Look at Migi, Uda and Tamura trying to learn and coexist while Gotou and the others learn and hide in the shadows in a position of government while satisfying their hunger. This was brought up before too.

They introduced a murderer who could sense parasites, and the way it came off to me is that he developed this "sense" because he was a killer. I'm not saying parasites can't be good, I'm saying that I didn't like that they introduced a character who could sense parasites because he is a killer like they are. That's how I took it anyway.

Quote:
Much of the dialogue this episode was forced, the plans the police had were terrible and destined to fail.

A failed plan would be that nothing was gained. Gotou stated that, "it seems all the others have been killed." This is'nt AOT where they plan to charge Erens basement, then retreat.

not a total failure I give you that, but they tried to minimize civilian casualties and in that regard they failed. Granted, the plan wasn't to save as many humans as possible, but from the first few minutes it was obvious the human lives were taken into consideration somewhat, and in that way they failed. Killed a lot of civilians, parasites, and police, so to me it was a loss on all sides really.

Quote:
the show made it sound like the parasites cooperated when in reality they just knew they were being hunted and it turned into "every parasite for himself" so much cooperation there.

Quote:
Its great that you are here though given your new, but I wanted to clarify things that I believe you overlooked. I love HxH too. But that is a true shonnen which I respect, and has little relation to this. While I dislike AOT because its a Shonnen trying to feel Seinen, which has reasons for comparisons to actual seinens. Well, Berserk and Vinland Saga are the best IMO though.

Last edited by mazzmoney on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
I must say, while I've been enjoying the past few, episode 22 was much more engaging. The raw emotion was really quite powerful, I could almost feel the pain Shinichi felt. Strangely, much more than whenever he was emotional in previous episodes. This episode as a whole just didn't feel as forced to me. I wasn't very fond of the whole police arc, there even came a point where I was beginning to wonder what had happened to such a previously great show. But it seems like it's set itself up quite nicely once again. The finale should be good, I'm looking forward to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19