• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I found that they tuned down the squid attack a little bit to more grabby grabby than penetrative. Probably a good thing, that scene in the beginning drove off a lot of people.

Besides the annoyance of concentration on Nikumi's knocker and bosom so much the episode was good. I wonder when writers will realize the "clueless protagonist" shounen trope is getting worn out. I'll be happy to see the first series to break that.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
it's already been broken a lot of times; wait, you said shounen (as, inside a shounen series), so I guess you are right then.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's wish fulfillment here, where Japanese boys want to be so idolized by girls around them that they stop caring.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
i had Banh Xeo a few days ago Laughing

it's an acquired taste-- especially the smell and taste of soy sauce and fish sauce

i'm sure there will be some people who will not like it

making it yourself is much cheaper than what they are charging you at a restaurant.. which is around $4-$5 a piece..
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Nice review for Episode 19 but although there were things I liked about it I'm glad this arc is over. One lingering question is how the shopping district is going to fare while Soma and Mito-san are at school and the Yukihara shop is closed. Won't it just go back to being a ghost town?

A bit was written earlier about how the female gender has not been well served by this story. I think the opposite is the case and one example is the villain in this arc. Granted she was a rather nasty and arrogant character (and paid the price for it), but she also exhibited extraordinary insight and sensitivity even as part of the process of realizing how she had been defeated. She isn't just a cardboard cutout character but full dimensional. And she made the whole arc go.

Now, an off-topic public service announcemnet:

Ep 19 review wrote:
There are so many scenes of chicken frying that your cholesterol may rise simply by watching the show

I know this just a quip but I just wanted to point out that #1: eating fried chicken will not raise your blood cholesterol significantly and #2: high cholesterol is rarely a condition that is dangerous anyway.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and it's a relief to see Nikumi covering her torso while she's at the fryer. (A relief cooking-wise, that is

being someone who cooks topless sometimes Ia gree that frying stuff with exposed skin is a really dumb decision.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Even when fully clothed, I still get repeatedly stung by flying bits of hot oil.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Nice review for Episode 19 but although there were things I liked about it I'm glad this arc is over. One lingering question is how the shopping district is going to fare while Soma and Mito-san are at school and the Yukihara shop is closed. Won't it just go back to being a ghost town?

Yukihara's was only "open" that first night back. That's why it's the Sumire Mark Karaage, and why Souma was asking Kurase to help out part time. They were selling it out of Tomita's shop, and Tomita is the one who will be making it after Souma goes back to school, which Souma doesn't fully trust him to do unaided, so he asked Kurase to help out.

So the shopping district still has it's new draw working for it, And even with Souma and Nikumi back at school should maintain itself ok.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
In a side chapter of the manga Soma asks Nikumi if she gets burned because of cooking in swimsuit-like clothes. She answers: "You can't cook meat if you're afraid of oil!"
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
This is the exact reason chefs don't wear short sleeves. And it's not just oil.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Nice introductions of various new characters this episode.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hayama and his Unlimited Spice Works in action.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spies on Erina while cursing the existence of Arisa, her sidekick/servant.

You mean Hisako.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:

You mean Hisako.
\

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

I was gonna say for the longest time Hisako was just "Erina's assistant" She wasn't named till like chapter 50 or so in the manga.

I'm really excited for the elections and I hope the Anime doesn't skimp on the relationship between Jun and Akira, and the way Kurokiba acts towards Alice.

spoiler[I'm super excited to see Kurokiba alternate personality.]
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:

You mean Hisako.

Just supplementing, her full name is Arato Hisako, a.k.a. Hisho(秘書)ko, secretary-girl.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:21 am Reply with quote
Yep, ARato hISAko. Sorry, I have some mostly-trained-away issues that come out when I'm stressed/tired. Totally elided those two names. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19