• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Izetta: The Last Witch

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
Izetta's resolve in this episode was great, I knew she was ready for the biggest fight of her life the moment she slapped Fine.

I can't wait for the finale.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote
The drama after that almost had me ready to forgive them, only to have Berkman and Hagar the Horrible go running away from Bianca, who has a clear shot at them - and she doesn't shoot them. Luckily I had nothing handy to throw through my computer screen. She's just watched them kill her unarmed comrades in cold blood, not to mention that both of them are important people you don't want getting away, and she acts like her job is just to make sure the corridor is clear so Fine can come out.[/quote]

EDIT: I accidentally edited this post instead of quoting and didn't realize it until too late, so I'm afraid I erased the rest of what you said here, Gina. Please feel free to edit the post to put it back in. - Key
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The drama after that almost had me ready to forgive them, only to have Berkman and Hagar the Horrible go running away from Bianca, who has a clear shot at them - and she doesn't shoot them.

I had exactly the same reaction as you did, Gina. Obviously if Bianca killed Berkman then the events that followed could not take place. But at least let her shoot at them and maybe wound Berkman so he could be captured and spill the beans about the bomb. Bianca seems fairly competent at times, but in this case she looked like a dunce.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The drama after that almost had me ready to forgive them, only to have Berkman and Hagar the Horrible go running away from Bianca, who has a clear shot at them - and she doesn't shoot them. Luckily I had nothing handy to throw through my computer screen. She's just watched them kill her unarmed comrades in cold blood, not to mention that both of them are important people you don't want getting away, and she acts like her job is just to make sure the corridor is clear so Fine can come out.

Two thoughts on this:

1. Since Finé was right in the doorway, Bianca's first priority was to make sure that the passage was clear and safe for her. Berkman and the other guy were clearly fleeing in panic and not shooting behind them, so they weren't an immediate threat and thus gunning them down was not an immediate concern. That she didn't hesitate in the slightest before looking back the other way (IOW, doing a classic covering procedure) supports this.

2. She had a really big distraction to her immediate left.

This series has occasionally done some blunders purely for sake of plot convenience, but this is not one of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Adele came out behind Bianca but she didn't try to shoot either. I agree with Gina, this scene didn't make sense imo.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I was slightly mistaken; Bianca did look left first (towards Izetta) and then towards the fleeing men, but I'd still argue that Izetta was a really big distraction at that point for a lot of reasons. Adele, OTOH, never faced their direction. She came out covering the left, presumably since she saw Bianca covering the right. (And that was the proper thing for her to be doing under the circumstances.) Even if she had turned right, Bianca was in her way.

Now, Sieg could have potentially had a shot on them before Bianca stepped out into the hallway, but A) he was probably familiar enough with how the Royal Guards operate to know that might involve putting them in the line of fire and B) he probably wanted them alive.

So again, no problem here that's beyond the bounds of logic, unlike at some other point in this series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
As far as I can tell, the Germanians were coming in from the same direction Berkman and the other guy run away to. Why did they come across a dead end, I don't know. We can chalk that up to the contrived writing too, I guess. In any case, someone should have shot them, either Bianca, Adele or Sieg, because otherwise they could have escaped. If they wanted them alive, they could shoot the legs or something.

Last edited by 1idd0kun on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Since Finé was right in the doorway, Bianca's first priority was to make sure that the passage was clear and safe for her. Berkman and the other guy were clearly fleeing in panic and not shooting behind them, so they weren't an immediate threat and thus gunning them down was not an immediate concern. That she didn't hesitate in the slightest before looking back the other way (IOW, doing a classic covering procedure) supports this.

Yes, she was doing a classic covering procedure and that's the problem. Gunning them down should have been an immediate concern, given who they were. Fine had no pressing need to be coming out of the room at all until she got the all-clear sign from her guards. Fine also looks like an idiot here, apparently having no sense whatsoever of her position or the importance of protecting herself. When you're the leader, you don't get to be shoving your way to the front like a kid at the Macy's parade, "Lemme see! Lemme see! What's going on?" with no regard for your own safety. It's one thing for a trained soldier-king to lead his men into battle, but this is a completely different type of situation, where Fine is a vulnerable, unarmed figurehead who can give orders. Those kinds of leaders need to defer to their armed protectors in situations like this.

What I said that got deleted (lol, Key!) was basically that we wouldn't be having this discussion if the writers had just given them a quick right turn instead of running down the long corridor first (I could see Bianca not wanting to give immediate chase once they're out of her gunsights). That's what frustrates me about this series, because headbanging idiocy could be easily avoided with simple tweaks to the script.

I also said that Elystadt should just surrender already, since they seem utterly incapable of defending themselves, no matter how much the terrain favors them. The soldiers should have been able to hold off the not-Nazis for at least a little while, since they apparently had to come in through the front door and move through narrow (yet inexplicably uncluttered) corridors, but these soldiers, who had one job (like the ones guarding the secret room), were asleep at the wheel and ended up lambs to the slaughter. In other words, there was zero evidence that they'd even tried to make the place defensible, nor that they were prepared to defend it. (that came before my outrage over Bianca's behavior. Smile)

Finally, the Lois and Clark scene was nice, but I was in no mood for it by the time they got to it.

Btw, why was Bassler at this top level meeting of leaders and diplomats? Did he fly them in or something? His only reason for being there seemed to be to out Berkman.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yes, she was doing a classic covering procedure and that's the problem. Gunning them down should have been an immediate concern, given who they were. Fine had no pressing need to be coming out of the room at all until she got the all-clear sign from her guards. Fine also looks like an idiot here, apparently having no sense whatsoever of her position or the importance of protecting herself. When you're the leader, you don't get to be shoving your way to the front like a kid at the Macy's parade, "Lemme see! Lemme see! What's going on?" with no regard for your own safety. It's one thing for a trained soldier-king to lead his men into battle, but this is a completely different type of situation, where Fine is a vulnerable, unarmed figurehead who can give orders. Those kinds of leaders need to defer to their armed protectors in situations like this.

Finé was virtually in the doorway already, so she didn't have to advance up to it. And Izetta, whom she did not know was in any shape to fight (remember, Finé wasn't around when Sieg offered Izetta the stone) was right there and using her powers despite being in a low magic area. Sorry, I can't fault Finé for not being perfectly cool-headed and cautious under the circumstances.

Quote:
I also said that Elystadt should just surrender already, since they seem utterly incapable of defending themselves, no matter how much the terrain favors them. The soldiers should have been able to hold off the not-Nazis for at least a little while, since they apparently had to come in through the front door and move through narrow (yet inexplicably uncluttered) corridors, but these soldiers, who had one job (like the ones guarding the secret room), were asleep at the wheel and ended up lambs to the slaughter. In other words, there was zero evidence that they'd even tried to make the place defensible, nor that they were prepared to defend it. (that came before my outrage over Bianca's behavior. Smile)

I don't think you're accounting for condensed time frame here. We don't know how long this all took from the time of the first alert about the attack to the time of the scene with Finé, and frankly, the details of how the invasion came to that scene aren't that important.

Quote:
Btw, why was Bassler at this top level meeting of leaders and diplomats? Did he fly them in or something? His only reason for being there seemed to be to out Berkman.

Likely we'll find out next episode. He might be there precisely because he expected Berkman to pull something like this, or he got a promotion. There are a number of plausible circumstances.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I think that Key is right that Sieg would have wanted Berkman and the other guy alive for questioning. Since they were the ONLY ones left in alive in the hallway, there is no real reason for them to gun them down in cold blood instead of trying to capture them and get information. Bianca would think that way as well. She may be a body guard, but she is also a soldier.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
I really hated this episode and it ruined whole show for me.

1) Berkmann traitor. Really? Such guy with dirty hands just easily betray his country. Also the reason for his elimination was retarded. Those things just plot device to let good guys win.
2) Izetta is so fanatically want war. Sorry but without Berkmann info they had no chance so it's another plot device to let good guys win.

Honestly, i dunno how they will resolve it since even Atlanta want to destroy Izetta and probably they will occupy Elistadt anyway. But if Izetta gonna destroy all enemies of Elistadt alone i will give this show 1/10 score.
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I think that Key is right that Sieg would have wanted Berkman and the other guy alive for questioning. Since they were the ONLY ones left in alive in the hallway.

Izetta was still fighting soldiers when Berkman and the other guy ran away though. Also, they ran away in the same direction they got in, so they could have escaped for all Sieg and Bianca knew.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
WeNTuS wrote:
I really hated this episode and it ruined whole show for me.

1) Berkmann traitor. Really? Such guy with dirty hands just easily betray his country. Also the reason for his elimination was retarded. Those things just plot device to let good guys win.

What about this doesn't make sense? Berkman clearly showed in the previous episode that he was starting to get worried about his own neck, and he really had no options for his own safety than to side with the one group who had someone who could counter Sophie - especially after he saw that Izetta was, indeed, back in action. And totalitarian leaders getting rid of someone who becomes popular/successful enough to be a potential threat is a time-tested strategy throughout history; heck, it's been rumored to have happened in North Korea within the reign of the current ruler. In this case I could easily see Otto being uncomfortable with the influence that Berkman might have over Sophie.

Quote:
2) Izetta is so fanatically want war. Sorry but without Berkmann info they had no chance so it's another plot device to let good guys win.

Izetta doesn't fanatically want war; she wants Finé to not capitulate while she can still fight back.

Quote:
Honestly, i dunno how they will resolve it since even Atlanta want to destroy Izetta and probably they will occupy Elistadt anyway. But if Izetta gonna destroy all enemies of Elistadt alone i will give this show 1/10 score.

Atlanta wants to control Izetta, not destroy her. And I have a feeling that something is going to happen which make them seizing Eylstadt a moot point. My guess is that Izetta might burn out her magic, or else it will seem to have happened and then be publicly played up that way.
Desa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
Funny people talking about logic and suspension of disbelief. I already knew since ep 2 that this wasn't going to be a "hard what-if" kinda deal with magic thrown in to speed things along.

Seriously, nothing has even come close to as big a leap in logic as that aerial escape scene in ep 2. Here you have two people, one casually dressed and one wearing nothing but a thin exam gown, flying through the SNOWY mountains at 400 kph and not only can they still see without any goggles, they can still move without any sign of frostbite despite riding what is basically a metal shaft that must have been chilled to way below freezing, and let's not forget one of them is not even wearing underwear (Izetta's crotch should've been glued to that barrel). And when they managed to fire off a round, Izetta is clearly bothered by how hot the barrel is, even though it's thermodynamically impossible for what is basically a giant heatsink that is already well below freezing to even become noticeably warm after a single shot let alone hot. Don't even know why they bothered animating the recoil after all the other things they glossed over. They could've just implied "magic held the gun in place" and I'd believe them.

Anyways, since I'm rooting for the Germanians the last couple of episodes have been pure joy for me. The Germanians are way cooler and most importantly they don't faff around with cutesy nonsense. Let's be real, even without Sophie, does anyone believe for a moment that Izetta is all that's needed to win the war? Such hubris. It's one thing for Izetta to be a trump card, it's a whole other matter for her to be the ONLY card.

I'm still sad that mah boi got shot and died but at least he got the leyline map and magic stone into the right hands. For the final battle, Sophie has potentially viable backup clones, while Izetta does not. The victor is clear.

Sieg Reich!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She's wheelchair-bound, but is she mentally intact?

I was wondering that as it's a fairly typical outcome, but the way she moved her head in response to Fine's arrival says to me she's fine (or at least not outright catatonic).

On a much more important note, my biggest question was "What is Sophie wearing under that cloak?" Thankfully the answer turned out to be "something very hot."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18