• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreimo (TV) - both seasons and ONAs.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
All I can say is that anybody who is still looking for psychological logic in this series is really barking up the wrong tree. It's true that, for example, Kuroneko showing her incest manga makes no sense given the putative purpose of the "harem" party, but it cracked me up anyway. If I had to ground my enjoyment of this series in any sense of reality, I would have been forced to throw in the towel long ago.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:28 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
But is Kyousuke really not interested in incest? First, he handles all that humilliation without doing anything about it, and second, he cries when Kirino says a word of gratitude even if that word sounded more like a burp to the audience.

Has Kyousuke ever done anything that would make it seem like he has a spine? Even if he is interested in incest, having 3 little girls including your sister talking about it isn't exactly fun times. His disbelief/embarrassment was pretty obvious on his face. However, his character is only allowed to grovel and/or take it, so...

Blood- wrote:
All I can say is that anybody who is still looking for psychological logic in this series is really barking up the wrong tree.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't look for logic or reality in series of this sort. However, I do demand are likable and/or relatable characters. Saori and Kuroneko toe that line sometimes, but they're severely underused/underdeveloped, and that role for them was rather crushed with episode 11 for me. But I'm not in the target audience, so I understand perfectly well why I don't like it and am not intended to like it. I don't think I'm being overly-critical, just pointing out the ways it doesn't work for me coming from a different perspective. For example, cat ears and maid uniforms for the sake of cat ears and maid uniforms don't give me my jollies. That doesn't mean I never find cat ears enjoyable (although I don't see them as arousing or attractive), but I do tend to require a bit more for them to work for me. But that's me.

I'll admit, I only started watching this show because I was told by someone from ANN that it wasn't going to be the show it sounded like it was going to be, and I wanted to support the first simulcast. Unfortunately, it was exactly the show it sounded like it was going to be, and worse, I always finish series that I start (eventually). I like to have full ammunition when people try the, "But it gets better!" argument. Then I have either "Yeah, but it doesn't justify the first half" or "No...it doesn't" weapon in my holster. ^_-
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
@ Mylene - I do understand the "finish at all costs what I started" viewing mentality; I used to share it. But once I realized that watching eppies of a show that wasn't doing it for me felt a lot like work and was a drag, I changed my tune. I adopted that "drop when it becomes a drag" attitude with shows I was streaming fairly early on. It is only just recently that I have been able to adopt that mindset to shows I own on DVD. I've watched five out of 13 eppies of Starship Operators; I don't like it. Buh-bye. I managed to watch 13 eppies out of 26 of Aquarion. I'm not investing another second of my time on it; into the sell pile it goes, unfinished.

Time is a finite resource; you are much better off devoting it to shows you are actually enjoying as opposed to servicing a "watch at all cost once started" mentality. But I know it is tough to shake off.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Time is a finite resource; you are much better off devoting it to shows you are actually enjoying as opposed to servicing a "watch at all cost once started" mentality. But I know it is tough to shake off.

I've been an anime fan for over a decade, so I think I've got my way of watching down pat. ^_- And I'm actually better at finishing series I don't like than series that I do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha, can't teach an old anime dog new tricks, eh? I hear ya. Buuuuuut, if you ever do take my advice, I guarantee you'd be thanking me. Wink
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I actually didn't like this episode at all. My two favorite characters were completely miss-used.

Manami's behavior and reaction to what she found in Kyosuke's room really made her look like a doormat character. spoiler[Completely flat and straight decision; "Oh, so I'll have to do this in order to appeal to him? No problem."] Rolling Eyes Not even a single shred of surprise, or shock, or disapproval, or embarrassment at spoiler[saying "Oni-chan,"] or anything at all? Just oh, okay?

Kuroneko got spoiler[shoved into a maid-outfit and painted with embarrassment. She never struck me as the type to get embarrassed about such stuff, and considering the fact it's not much different than how she usually dresses, it made no sense at all.]

The whole party really just served to humiliate Kyousuke, and humiliation is not funny. But, of course all this was solely meant to spoiler[force the irritating Kirino to give her red-faced "thank-you"] and show the audience that she might not be as big of a bitch as she seems (yeah right) Rolling Eyes .

What happened to this show? I was really liking it, then, somewhere over the last 4-5 episodes it turned into a mess. Definitely dropped off of my 'favorites of this season' list.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I really disliked this episode as well, but I want to comment on something:
the Rancorous wrote:
Kuroneko got spoiler[shoved into a maid-outfit and painted with embarrassment. She never struck me as the type to get embarrassed about such stuff, and considering the fact it's not much different than how she usually dresses, it made no sense at all.]

She has gotten embarrassed before. Most recently was when she was she was home fixing her little sisters stuffed animal and Kyousuke called her and, basically, asked her out on a friend-date.

I agree with the point of post, though, because it still seemed out of place and the show has definitely tanked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kleisthenes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't look for logic or reality in series of this sort. However, I do demand are likable and/or relatable characters.

Am I the only one who finds Kyousuke likable and Kirino relatable? Yes Kirino is abrasive and spoiled. But think about her in the earlier episodes when she asks for help from her brother or when she has trouble making friends at that otaku meetup. That kind of vulnerability is endearing, I think, and just make her an insecure, immature, and slightly confused 14 year old girl. Maybe some people think that the show should have given us more of those kind of moments, but they are there and have to be taken with all the moments of rudeness or insensitivity we see from Kirino. Even with its flaws, I don't feel this show has "tanked." I generally like the characters and am interested in their development, I just wish that the writers had pushed their relationships a bit further and faster, given the restraints of a 12-episode season.
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But think about her in the earlier episodes when she asks for help from her brother...

"Help me you piece of trash," certainly does sound congenial.

Quote:
or when she has trouble making friends at that otaku meetup.

Because she didn't try? That spoiled brat attitude is nowhere near likable. Even more when she doesn't change it.

Quote:
Maybe some people think that the show should have given us more of those kind of moments...

No, most of us wish to see her disappear. She has no redeemable features. She's like that kind of plastic that says "non-recyclable".

Quote:
I generally like the characters and am interested in their development, I just wish that the writers had pushed their relationships a bit further and faster, given the restraints of a 12-episode season.

I wanted to say it before, but considering this series' misuse of unpredictability, I didn't want to, but, there's no way in hell they'll round a relationship even if there's another season.

My dislike towards her has been upgraded. Instead of uncovering a cruel past of abuse, I'd rather see her brother raping her. As disgusting as it may sound, I simply can't see another way of saving her, and paying back everything she did to him.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Kleisthenes wrote:
Yes Kirino is abrasive and spoiled. But think about her in the earlier episodes when she asks for help from her brother or when she has trouble making friends at that otaku meetup. That kind of vulnerability is endearing, I think, and just make her an insecure, immature, and slightly confused 14 year old girl.

I enjoyed those few, very rare moments. However, I firmly believe in treating others well, and she's quite simply a mean little girl. She's mean to her otaku friends, her brother, and Manami. Anyone who isn't cool enough, she's cruel to. That is not something I can relate to, nor can I enjoy. But thank you for reminding me of those scenes, I really enjoyed those moments of weakness that she showed early on, especially at the first meet up. She didn't know what to do, and it added a layer to her character. Unfortunately, that layer drifted away as the focus turned more on her being mean and siscon-crazed. Those were moments that made the series worth watching, much like Kuroneko with her sister.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Thought I'd just pop in with a defense of my girls Kuroneko and Saori re: the "harem" party. First, Saori: I don't deny there was a healthy dose of self-interest in her decision to manipulate the girls into maid costumes. She'd clearly been planning a party for a while and this opportunity offered her a good chance to get the girls maid up and she took it. However, remember that she is an otaku and in her heart of hearts, she probably really thought that Kyousuke would dig a harem party with maids. I'm sure she has a pretty screwed up idea of what a typical 17-year-old guy would dig (or does she???). I'd also be willing to bet she wasn't aware of the content of Kuroneko's manga, either.

As for Kuroneko, she and Kirino have been taking potshots at each other since day one. Likely, she thought that Kyousuke might see the humour in the manga since Kirino was so obviously the target of it. In her mind, she might even have seen the embarrassment of Kirino as poetic justice for what she did to Kyousuke. Plus, she's otaku so not naturally attuned to social appropriateness in every situation.

So lay off the cuties, y'all!

eta: Episode 12 (The Finale)

spoiler[Meh. All the homo-erotic panic around the "full-on homo games" made me chuckle. But the best part was during the ED while Kuroneko's little sisters watched her cat out in front of a mirror - priceless!

Of course, the show couldn't resist pulling one last, sudden non-credible plot device out of its ass - Kirino going to America! Rolling Eyes]

Bitching aside, I gave this series a "Good" rating. Mainly on the strength of its secondary characters. But for all my kvetching and whatnot, week after week, I eagerly tuned in, always happy to see the latest fansub show up. (Sorry, ANN, being a week behind just didn't work for me.) If there is a second season, I'll watch.
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
About ep. 12. The whole spoiler[track] bit felt like it came out of nowhere. I know it was spoiler[in the background throughout the show, but since when was it important enough to Kirino that she would consider uprooting her life for it? Her modeling, friends and anime habit all seem to be much more important that track to her.]

The series is pretty so-so to me. It had its moments, but not enough of them to balance Kirino's annoying behavior and Kyousuke's spinelessness. If they have a spinoff based on Kuroneko, I would definitely watch that. Very Happy
Kleisthenes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
...She didn't know what to do, and it added a layer to her character. Unfortunately, that layer drifted away as the focus turned more on her being mean and siscon-crazed. Those were moments that made the series worth watching, much like Kuroneko with her sister.

Right, that's what I was getting at. The show is disappointing, not straight up awful. It showed promise that it hasn't lived up to. In the anime episode (6 or 7?) all the characters finally asked the million dollar question--"Why do we bend over backwards to help such a rude brat?" and I thought "Finally, we're getting to the heart of the series." But they didn't answer the question, and the next three or so episodes showed just more of the same. As I see it the series set up a fairly simple set of conflicts: Kirino has to find some balance between her normal life and her "otaku" life, and Kyousuke and Kirino need to try to form a healthier relationship as siblings. With only one episode left, it doesn't seem too likely that they'll be concluded in any particularly satisfactory manner, unfortunately.

egoist wrote:
My dislike towards her has been upgraded. Instead of uncovering a cruel past of abuse, I'd rather see her brother raping her. As disgusting as it may sound, I simply can't see another way of saving her, and paying back everything she did to him.

Remind me never to get on your bad side Egoist. Smile
I know you're using hyperbole, but I guess I disagree with your...level of emotion. I probably would have hated Kirino's guts in 9th grade, but now that I'm some distance removed from middle/high school (as a world-wise 23 year old), I just can't bring myself to hate Kirino. Please note that I never said I liked her exactly, but I guess some of the less pleasant aspects of her character are completely believable for a 14 year old girl. I think it was a bold move to make one of the main characters of the series so prickly and dislikable, and if the writers had pulled it off I would be singing their praises. Before you wish for Kirino to disappear, just ask yourself what would be left in the series that's worth watching? Maybe you watch for the supporting characters, but I kept coming back because I liked the series's simple premise.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
I would NOT put this on my own list. it never went anywhere.

my thoughts..

i would watch with adds to support though.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 12. What? America? HOW MUCH MORE "AWESOME" YOU WANT TO MAKE HER CREATORS? She is a model, then she suddenly became a writer... her bestselling(!) novel suddenly got adapted into TV anime with, I imagine, a considerable budget.... and now she is supposed to be an outstanding athlete (to get that invitation) as well??? BULLSHIT!!! Oh and introducing a new character in the LAST EPISODE was a brilliant idea... NOT!

However, this was a very appropriate crappy ending to this through and through horrible series. In fact, this year I have discovered a whole new sub-genre of anime all thanks to Angel Beats and Oreimo. It's called "guilty pleasure" because despite them being so bad I had a lot of fun pointing out the flaws, reading the findings of others and the defences of fanboys, reading blogs and, well, everything. Yes, being overhyped was necessary and yes the series had to be airing in Japan (otherwise I wouldn't even watch it...).

Anyway, like I said, the series had its use. Oreimo is way better than merely bad and boring. It is bad yet fun. Thats why my rating for this is Decent. I am looking forward to the "True end" alternative. Lets hope it's genuinely better than this.

Nearly forgot to mention but I loved how ANN survey conducted not long ago had this question of how much you like Oreimo. One of the options was "It's the best anime I saw in my life". That. Is. Priceless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 56