• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Wow! This episode almost changed everything, filling in holes that I thought about Mirai's character, explaining things we thought one way, was actually the other. For starters I give kudos for the beginning of the episode being done right before the series, in a way that works itself right into the OP song, great work.

Next thing I have to point out is my utter confusion at parts, especially how we seemed to spoiler[see two different scenes, one in summer and the other during winter]. It gave the feeling that something was not right with either, and that is only in the timeline sense, but the reveals of it worked great through the episode. We learn some things were backwards all along, like Mirai spoiler[knew all along that Akihito was part of Beyond the Boundary] (check my post last week for taking not the fact). Mirai was actually trying to spoiler[kill Akihito earlier in the series, the reason she was so distant was because she was trying to not get close to him, and also the reason he was warned not to get close to her]. Hell, she was a spoiler[hired assassin, and even the fact she wore glasses may have made her his weakness].

The reason why Mirai was affected that time when she saw him spoiler[become a youmu] was not because she spoiler[found out his secret]. It was that he spoiler[told her to stab him to get what he needed, even if it hurt him, she was sent to kill him and he still looked out for her, and she saved him instead of finishing him off]. The talks she spoiler[got through the series were about her orders to finish him]. And the reveal of what was spoiler[real in the episode was interesting]. You see at this time their spoiler[real world is in the Fall, the dream was set in Summer represented the past and life, and Mirai was within Beyond the Boundary, set in Winter which represented possible future and death].

I think I got everything, what I am most happy about is that I thought Mirai's actions last week made no sense, but it was shown here the truth. My guess is that next some other characters are going to spoiler[go into Beyond the Boundary to help Mirai destroy the core and get her out of it].
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
I'm conflicted. First of all, I absolutely loved the way they used the different seasons for emotional impact. It has already become gradually colder throughout the series, and now seeing them being pulled apart in opposite directions (summer/winter) was really beautiful and cinematic, I think. spoiler[Akihito] is still caught in an endless reprise of summer days with spoiler[Mirai], while time has moved on for her (or will forever be standing still, as it sometimes feels like when it's snowing). That was wonderfully done and beautiful to watch.

I think the explanation of spoiler[what was real and what was the dream] could have been done a bit subtler, though. The creators could have given us a bit more credit to be able to figure things out instead of spoiler[Mirai] giving a full explanation. That felt a bit too Spielberg-ish to me. I might have preferred finding out what was what by spoiler[Akihito waking up and Mirai not being there], with only some hints being placed before of what had actually happened, I think.

Also, a lot of things make sense now that didn't do so before, which is good.

Still, part of me agrees with Merida, regarding the spoiler[self-sacrifice]. While always dramatic, it's also a cop-out in a way. I prefer seeing characters having to deal with the consequences of their decisions and actions than to just spoiler[mourn them. (Although I'm fairly convinced they will be able to rescue her in some way.)]

There's still some major and dangerous power play at work between the Naze family and the organisation, I think. spoiler[Maybe Izumi has something else up her sleeve. It feels like the farce isn't over quite yet. Maybe they're still intending to make use of Beyond the Boundary in one way or the other, and in order to do that, they had to get it out of Akihito first.]

Finally, the way the OP was intergated into the episode (and the whole show, for that matter) was really well done. This show's strongpoint, for me, is still the use of visual images and their impact on our emotions (not just the prettiness of the images themselves).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
I think those of you who are seeing Mirai's action as self-sacrifice aren't quite on the mark. My own interpretation is that she spoiler[deliberately drew out BtB and took it into herself knowing that by doing so she might be able to destroy it from the inside (without having to kill Akkey). In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Izumi actually gave her the hint that this might be so. So I guess you can argue that she has put herself in more danger than she would be in if she simply killed Akkey,] but that's not the same as knowingly sacrificing yourself.

But given the level of criticism this exceptionally fine show has mysteriously engendered, I fully expect to see comments like, "zomg, I hate shows where the female puts herself in danger just because she loves some guy."
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But given the level of criticism this exceptionally fine show has mysteriously engendered, I fully expect to see comments like, "zomg, I hate shows where the female puts herself in danger just because she loves some guy."

Ah, but I really do like and enjoy this show (I thought that was rather obvious from my previous comments). I was merely saying that I find it more interesting for a character to be confronted with the responsibility of a) saving the world or b) killing their loved ones/letting them die without there being the third option to die in his/her place (which is obviously going to be the morally superior choice, but much less interesting and conflict-less than actually being forced to make the decision and live with it yourself afterwards). spoiler[If Mirai did this while knowing she'd maybe have a realistic chance of destroying BtB from the inside, I'll be quite happy.] Even though I still don't see Izumi leading her that way (why not outright tell her this might be an option?). Also, there are some very fine examples of self-sacrifices out there that done in interesting, multi-layered, and thoughtprovoking ways (PMMM was full of them, of course, and Fate/Zero also offered some interesting variations of the theme). It's just too often that this is used as the easier way out in order to redeem a character (not that spoiler[Mirai] needed redemption) or avoiding to address the (much more interesting) need to choose for the character. I always pity the survivors in the end, really.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
I agree with pretty much everything Knoepfchen wrote. If genders had been reversed, i wouldn't like this twist any better. What bothered me most about it wasn't even spoiler[the self-sacrificing itself (though that does bother me quite a bit, but Knoepfchen explained that already as well:) but that this option just magically seemed to appear out of nowhere...]but well, i'm still enjoying this show and i still have faith that we will get a satisfactory resolution.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
Mirai was facing that decision, but she really did not want to make it. The reason being that she had already made that decision once before, and it cost Mirai her only family she had. She knew where that choice lead, and it was sitting on a train looking at a picture of her loved ones, a life that she lost.

Mirai had been faced with the decision the entire series, and the other major arc was indeed a part where emotions began to show and she want a third choice. She was even told that while there is that choice, it was a decision that would not lead to happiness, but love gave her no other option.

To say the option magically appeared would be like saying that the fact spoiler[she had to kill him because he was Beyond the Boundary, suddenly popped up]. In terms of spoiler[shifting the power of the monsters goes, well it was the main feature of big one from earlier on, and we knew the Naze family were strong with barriers].
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Characters making noble sacrifices for people they're trying to protect is such a tried-and-true fantasy trope that I didn't give it too much of a thought. Maybe I just love a happy ending too much to want to see a character really deal with a "kill my loved one or DESTROY the WORLD!" scenario with all the emo angst it carries. And I always end up thinking that there could've been another way, anyway, and get angry at the character who chooses the "kill the loved one" route. The only example I can think of is Itachi from Naruto, though, and I never thought he was redeemed to a point where I could like him. Are there other examples out there? spoiler[Mirai's actions just seemed natural, and they'll probably find a way to save her (another tried and true trope). The way it was presented as a "oh, I didn't tell you about *this* option!" Last minute save for Mirai's sanity (and the sake of the world, I suppose) was a bit of a cop out, but I don't think that's all there is to it, either. Izumi has a plan up her sleeve that she didn't share with Mirai, and I bet her sibs will figure it out and mess it all up trying to save Mirai. ]
Merida, how are these tropes KyoAni in nature? I thought this was their first fantasy show.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Merida, how are these tropes KyoAni in nature? I thought this was their first fantasy show.

I was mostly referring to Clannad After Story, but there are probably other examples. I'm not that much of a KyoAni expert, to be honest...

And i guess it's a matter of perceiption whether one considers Mirai spoiler[sacrificing herself because she didn't want to hurt a loved one again in order to save Akihito who's biggest fear is that people might get hurt because of him again "noble" or "cruel"...i admit that it's pretty much a no-win situation, but how is this ending - considering the rare chance she's actually dead - any 'happier' than killing Akihito would have been?]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I thought the episode was pretty decent. I like that they played with viewers expectations on what was going to happen based on the trailer for this episode. Do I think this episode elevates the whole show? No, but others may feel differently.

I think they have done a decent job of showing Mirai's interest in Akkey, but his interest on the other hand so far seems little more than she's a cute glasses wearing girl. I get a weird vibe when thinking about spoiler[the pictures that she found in his place] that its more lustful than romantic from him which for me interferes with the chemistry of the couple.

I don't have a problem if Mirai spoiler[gets rescued] or even if that's cliche. Its all about execution. If they do it well and get me involved emotionally or if they create tension when trying to do it I will like it. If its just a simple plan that needs to be accomplished I might be a little disappointed.

I did feel that some of the flashbacks were a little choppy for me. Not terrible mind you, but maybe it could have been done smoother? I do like the whole thing with the sister and the Nase family. They've managed to keep that mysterious and make me want to know more about what's going on.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I don't have a problem if Mirai spoiler[gets rescued] or even if that's cliche. Its all about execution. If they do it well and get me involved emotionally or if they create tension when trying to do it I will like it. If its just a simple plan that needs to be accomplished I might be a little disappointed.

Yes, please! let spoiler[her be rescued], I want these guys to have a happy ending, but just let them earn it Tutu-style, don't hand it to them on a convenient silver platter, that's all I'm asking for.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11 spoiler[Loved this ep, or at least the end of it. Sure, it was predictable (Mirai is still alive and we found a way to save her!) and full of exposition, but I really feel for the characters now. The animation, as always, was gorgeous. These last couple of episodes really redeem the show for me and almost makes me want to watch it all over again (I very rarely rewatch shows, so I doubt I will, but this one is so damn pretty!)

Well, I was wrong, Izumi didn't have some nefarious plan up her sleeve, glasses guy from the spirit world warriors society does, though, and Akihito's mom has a lot of secrets of her own. What is glasses guy up to? Does he *want* to destroy the world? And will we have enough time after the big, save-the-world battle to find out the scoop about Akihito and his dad from his mom? I think they'll probably save that mystery to give people an incentive to buy the light novels. Too bad.
I really wish we could get a second season.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

How can you not love it as it played the OP music as spoiler[Akihito lead is run into Beyond the Boundary and caught Mirai], and following it up with the ED playing as spoiler[she saw that he had come]. I think that the two of them have earned some reputation as a pairing, what with her pretty spoiler[much love letter Akihito, "It is not unpleasant"]. And I also liked Mitsuki's break from spoiler[being stoic in being so happy to see Akihito], yeah she cares. I hope everyone comes out fine, except maybe glasses guy.

But most importantly of all we had spoiler[Akihito's mother, is awesome, not that she fights or anything. I figured out it would be her when Akihito was scared at the door], although he did not seem to figure it out by then. Funny how Akihito's spoiler[ears were red from embarrassment], and she spoiler[pissed them off because her archaic speech patterns were not even matching her devil costume]. Sakura wanted to spoiler[kick her], but Akihito said that she spoiler[would pretty much like the attention]. The mystery is so mysterious, I wonder if anime will ever reveal it, I have fears of this series not getting a sequel because of unpopularity from the beginning.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Well, Akihito's mother is hilarious. And i realized that Hiromi looks better with a scarf and that the sappy, predictable drama doesn't do much for me.

I'm still curious about whether glasses guy has any other motivation besides being slightly crazy and enjoying to piss off Izumi, though...
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
The mother is too funny. I liked how Aki kept hitting her. Its nice to see a male doing the slapstick humor once in a while.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
My favourite moment of this episode was definitely the "spoiler[It's not unpleasant]" being left unspoken. The OP being played doing spoiler[Aki's resolve] and the ED to portray spoiler[Mirai's relief] was wonderful as well. While being somewhat fuzzy on the bigger scale sometimes, this series always gets all those details right.

So, spoiler[Izumi] wasn't evil, just practical. At the moment, I fear spoiler[glasses guy] might not have a bigger motivation, though. It's only one episode left now, and he seems more and more like a troll. All that drama and suffering for nothing bigger than that would feel a bit frustrating.

It's too early to say this with certainty, but I feel like I am a bit sad I only liked this anime while I could have loved it. All the right ingredients were there, it just sometimes felt they were left too raw to enjoy the most out of them. Still, the overall appreciation outweighs the criticism for me. I am looking forward to seeing how they wrap this up next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 21